Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hero's Journey: Q&A #8 & Screens #22

Designer Chris Moore answers five of Jon Wood's questions and we get two world exclusive screenshots that show off shadows in Hero's Journey as these two series continue.

MMORPG.com: Your website gives us a brief overview of the backstory of Hero's Journey. Are you planning on going the route of some other games and publishing official lore in order to provide a richer and more defined world to your players?

Chris Moore:  We try to give the world as much back-story as possible.  We want players to be comfortable with their roleplaying choices, and know where they fit with regards to the world as a whole.

A great concept for a world automatically brings with it a desire for its story.  From broad swaths of history down to bits of detailed minutia, every tale enriches the world for someone.  Whether that information comes from gameplay, website documents, officially licensed literature or even fan fiction, I feel it’s all for the better of the game world and the community.

There are no formal plans for official publications of lore or fiction at this point, but with at least one published fantasy author on our design team, I don’t see this as being too far outside of the realm of possibility.

You can read the Q&A here and view the screenshots here.

Dana Massey
Formerly of MMORPG.com
Currently Lead Designer for Bit Trap Studios

Comments

• pirrgpirrg Member Posts: 1,443

Other then the fire, me likey. Me very very likey

• kuronekoyamakuronekoyama Member Posts: 15

Wow. Just wow. I've been waiting and waiting for shadows, been hoping I wouldn't be vaguely disappointed, then you guys come out with this and blow away all my doubts. Absolutely gorgeous! Post some videos so we can see this in action..! :P

My typical constructive criticism...

The fire in the first screenshot (and the green lamp flames in the second)... While I'm gleeful we're having particle effects for the fire, and dynamic lighting cast by them too, it looks pretty fuzzy and a bit unrealistic.
    The adventurer in the first screenshot... Pose is a bit stiff/unnatural. He should slouch just a bit more, especially under all that armor.

Aside from those two tiny qualms, these screens absolutely rock.

• PaksPaks Member Posts: 263

Yeah I agree with the others. The fire looks weird, but the rest looks awsome!

Beta pelase!

;P

• JenuvielJenuviel Member Posts: 960

The confirmation of a Z-Axis definitely answers that concern of mine (flying mounts!), and the Journey system really has me looking forward to beta (hopefully I filled out my poll early enough!). Also, the fact that the "landscape as a character" feature will be more than just a rare occurrence is very heartening. Everytime a piece of press for the game comes out, I find my anticipation growing that much more. Now, if I can just prevent myself from over-hyping it in my head, I think I'll really enjoy this one.

As for the fire, it does look a bit odd. My guess is that it has to do with the way it's rendered; it probably has a few planes that fluctuate up and down to create a flickering sensation. The still picture in the screenshot and the moving image in the game will probably be quite different.

• RupardRupard Member Posts: 57
    The Shadows are nice, very very nice, I love shadows It adds so much depth. I can't say I've ever cared for a game that didn't atleast attempt to offer shadows, but my only concern here is, and this is a very important question, VERY IMPORTANT!!!...........WILL IT SLOW DOWN THE FRAME RATE?????????????  because if it does I would recommend, and I'm sure you already do have a button that turns off the shadows.
    O' and the thing about the fire, go play any other game and hit "print screen" when you see fire and then paste that into any photoshop program and you will see that almost all fire in games is weird looking for just one frame, I'm assuming this is because it is ment to be seen in motion.
    O' and the thing about the fire, go play any other game and hit "print screen" when you see fire and then paste that into any photoshop program and you will see that almost all fire in games is weird looking for just one frame, I'm assuming this is because it is ment to be seen in motion.
  • OrccOrcc Member Posts: 3,043

Yes! Liek everyone else ive been waiting to see dynamic shadows and finally here they are! They look great! I love the vibrant colors too!

As for the fire, im sure its just a placeholder until a more refined effect is done.