Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Thoughts on future weapons?

2»

Comments

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by azmundai

I was wondering, do you guys think they will add weapons?

Boomerangs?
    Crossbows?
    Throwing Stars?
    Flails?

Xbows and flails would work in the game, boomerangs and throwing stars just ain´t effective enough. They could work for a utilty skill though.

Lances and pikes would be an excellent addition if they add mounts. HEavy muskets (the type you actually need a stand or bipod to fire) would be cool as well. 

Rapiers would be nice for a pirate themed expansion. 

• VarthanderVarthander Member UncommonPosts: 466
    Originally posted by korent1991
    Originally posted by Matheusor1
    How come no one mentioned scythes? They were so badass in GW1.

I've seen a guy during the beta events with scythe in his hands... :)

Not sure how to, but it was there xD

it surelly was the Necro Staff, when a necro uses some skills the staff generate a shadow making it to look like a scythe :D

• ipekaipeka Member Posts: 222
    GATTLING GUN. nuff said.
  • PiratePetePiratePete Member Posts: 105

Crossbow, Flail, and Throwing spear are probably the most logical ones for the area that Tyria is set in.

Claws/Katars/Other Fist Weapons,  2 hand spear, and either nunchuks or a mid range throwing weapon if Faction Islands are rediscovered.

Scythes, Larger Shields, and Perhaps a rapier or "stabbing spear" instead of a throwing spear. (Spartan like) if elona is rediscovered.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by ipeka
    GATTLING GUN. nuff said.

That would be as a siege weapon. It weight about 30 kilos and is very bulky, carrying it while firing at the same time just isnt possible except maybe in a really bad Hollywood movie.

But in sieges and large scale battles it would make things interesting.

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254

What about letting some classes derive 5 skills from just usng nothing? Maybe they could add a set of skills that focus on punch/kick type skills. Kindey Punch/Leg Sweep/Rabbit Punch. Stuff like that.

• Enok4TwunniEnok4Twunni Member Posts: 207
    I'd like to see 2H Staves that are used in combat like the Mage Staffs in Dragon Age 2. Faster paced magical staff combat. 
  • MagnnarotMagnnarot Member Posts: 50
    Originally posted by Andorhal
    Originally posted by Magnnarot
    Originally posted by Andorhal
    I'd have to say no. More weapons means more skills, and the imbalance of a game is poportional to the amount of skills that need to be balanced. League of Legends is a pretty good example of this, WoW as well (they are constantly tweaking class balance, it goes back and forth, go read mmo-champion of you don't believe me).

Actually the balancing has nothing to do with the amount of skills, sure more means its harder, but in the end it all comes to the balancing team behind the game.

League of Legends has 116 champions, probably one of the most unbalanced MOBAs out there (togheter with HoN), whereas DotA has 108 heroes and is the most balanced MOBA by far, not only because of the time it had to tweak itself, but also because of the experience the balancing team has gained from years of fixing it.

Sure DotA is always changing like any MOBA, but any tweaking to its actual balance is always minor, aside when new heroes are added or old ones reworked, hotfixes nowadays are rather uncommon to address imbalance.

EDIT: Typos and spacing.

As more skills are added, all of the other skills need to be compared to its effectiveness, along with the viability of the build as whole. Either stuff starts breaking down / getting abandoned (like the majority of the LoL heroes) unless more help is brought in.

A lack of fixes does not mean the game is balanced. The original DotA (WC3) was the origin of MOBAs so it has been longer by definition and probably is more balanced as a result, even so, I doubt that the original DotA is balanced to its best. (Besides, most of the major DotA developers have either moved on to the various modern MOBAs or stopped modding + WC3 custom games are pretty much dead at this point [90% of the hosts are bots] which would explain the lack of updates)

In any event, MOBAs should (in theory) be better balanced because they have to only worry about PvP in (usually) one enviornment. Here in GW2, they have to take both PvE and PvP into account along with varying enviornmental factors.

Hey hey hey, wc3 dead? Nowhere close to it (still has 3k+ people when I log on to it, plus other side clients, ggarena etc, should amount up to 100k people ATLEAST still playing it). Maybe in 2-3 years wc3 will finally be dead, but after the sc2 map making fail the wc3 map making commuynity surged back up.

DotA is also as alive as it has ever been, DotA 2 is being developed by the same people who still develop the original DotA (eventually after DotA 2's launch DotA 1 will die obviously, since DotA 2 will also be f2p and the original DotA wont be able to keep up with will be attempted on DotA 2 for engine issues).

And no, DotA was not the origin of MOBAs, Aeon of Strife was it (before the term MOBA was developped, this genre of game was called AoS, fact that is still true on wc3 map sites), the genre only came to gain the popularity it sill enjoys today because of DotA, mainly because they finally managed to find somewhat of a balance, which even though isnt PERFECT, is damn close it, even if there are minor tweaks now and then.

Also, recently there was a statement from the Anet team that they had acquired new tech that allowed their staff to balance PvE and PvP skills and traits independent from each other, reducing drastically the amount of trouble they would have with.

EDIT: Forgot a paragraph.

• MosesZDMosesZD Member UncommonPosts: 1,361
    Originally posted by Jagarid

I'd be down for crossbows!

The weapon I am most looking forward to having added though is the 2-handed Axe (Great Axe, or whatever you want to call it).  

Pretty sure I saw a video where a dev indicated I would get my wish on that one, eventually.

Would also like to see a few asian themed weapons at some point.

Probably with the first expansion.   When they add Cantha.   I wouldn't be terribly surprised to see a fighting monk either. 

• azmundaiazmundai Member UncommonPosts: 1,419

Originally posted by MosesZD
    Originally posted by Jagarid I'd be down for crossbows! The weapon I am most looking forward to having added though is the 2-handed Axe (Great Axe, or whatever you want to call it).   Pretty sure I saw a video where a dev indicated I would get my wish on that one, eventually. Would also like to see a few asian themed weapons at some point.  

Probably with the first expansion.   When they add Cantha.   I wouldn't be terribly surprised to see a fighting monk either. 

ugh .. I hope they don't do an asian monk. Diablo style monk is way cooler .. and I dont really care for d3. Monastary style monk is way cooler imo.

Fist weapons would be cool though.

I would really like to see more 1h ranged weapons though. We only have 1 atm. Or us a scepter a 1h ranged weapon? either way are there even classes that can use pistols and scepters?

Throwing Stars and Boomerangs are kinda dorky though :|

LFD tools are great for cramming people into content, but quality > quantity.
    I am, usually on the sandbox .. more "hardcore" side of things, but I also do just want to have fun. So lighten up already :)