Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Beauty of Vanguard

2»

Comments

• VyrolakosVyrolakos Member Posts: 143

Originally posted by bakon2

I solo mostly so the pop problem wasn't such a big deal.  But, even for an avid solo'er the game felt empty.  Not to mention the fact that this game has always been a resource hog.  I have 4 gigs of ram, a 1gig video card and a screaming internet connection and I could tell.  But, Aion, LotRo run on full settings...heck, even DDO runs on the high rez settings. 
    I have went back several times, but unfortuneatly Vangaurd is just old news.  Great concept, great lore, great classess.  but, as you guys stated, it is on life support but SoE can't seem to pull the plug.

It's definitely a population issue.

I understand that you don't mind paying to play an MMO as a single player game, but Vanguard is so damn big and has so much potential, that without people (actual players) to interact with, it feels like a wasteland.

Guilds are critical in Vanguard. SOE needs to invest in promoting guild/group play more.

I just wish that SOE would invest in some new content (expansion) development and advertising, because Vanguard is still a great game let down by low population and lack of new content to attract new players.

Currently playing: Vanguard: SOH

• boojiboyboojiboy Member UncommonPosts: 1,553

There is plenty of content, and more coming.  However, they do need to market the game more.  I'm constantly amazed by people in region chat talking about how amazing the game is and why so few people know about it.  But it's those same people that are in the lower to mid-levels struggling to find groups.

Grouping is not an issue at the higher levels.  Put lfg on for any number of dungeons or quests and you'll get scooped up very quickly.  Grouping is much more difficult at low to mid-levels because most of VGs population is 50 to 55 and for those lower than that are faced with a gigantic world and maybe only 100 people on between the levels of 10 to 30. 

For that crowd, guilds are very important along with a good understanding of how the lfg tool works.  Mentoring should help quite a bit, but nothing beats a good guild or a small group of folks with similar play times.

• TruethTrueth Member Posts: 287

I play on Seredon and am constantly amazed by the Lack of region chat. It's dead as a door a lot of the time. What server do youi play on boojiboy, I should transfer.

• KhrymsonKhrymson Member UncommonPosts: 3,090
    Originally posted by Ekibiogami

The problem is that only a few Dungeons have trully worth while rewards makeing people only run the same say 15 Dungeons over and over. Its sad really.

Though why does one require a reward for exploring the dungeons in the first place.  Its about the adventure, not only solo but also with fellow players and friends and what you encounter within and most importantly if you walk out alive.  Finding or earning a reward really is just a small perk!

I guess I'll never understand this lust for End Game this and End Game that, and farming sets of gear...BORING!  Give me story and adventure!!!

• XeonsoldierXeonsoldier Member Posts: 190

I too play on Seradon. The only people I see worshipping the game in region chat are those who are still fairly new to the game and or are lowbies.

I hardly if ever have seen those who have been playing the game forever or top guilds, or anyone with some age in the game talk in amazement. Its typical for newer players to worship any new game they are in. Shouldn't be surprised by that at all.

• bakon2bakon2 Member UncommonPosts: 129
    Originally posted by Vyrolakos

Originally posted by bakon2

I solo mostly so the pop problem wasn't such a big deal.  But, even for an avid solo'er the game felt empty.  Not to mention the fact that this game has always been a resource hog.  I have 4 gigs of ram, a 1gig video card and a screaming internet connection and I could tell.  But, Aion, LotRo run on full settings...heck, even DDO runs on the high rez settings. 

I have went back several times, but unfortuneatly Vangaurd is just old news.  Great concept, great lore, great classess.  but, as you guys stated, it is on life support but SoE can't seem to pull the plug.

It's definitely a population issue.

I understand that you don't mind paying to play an MMO as a single player game, but Vanguard is so damn big and has so much potential, that without people (actual players) to interact with, it feels like a wasteland.

Guilds are critical in Vanguard. SOE needs to invest in promoting guild/group play more.

I just wish that SOE would invest in some new content (expansion) development and advertising, because Vanguard is still a great game let down by low population and lack of new content to attract new players.

Don't get me wrong...I like to solo most of the time.  But you are right...it IS a population issue.  World is big and feels dead.  Good luck.

• EkibiogamiEkibiogami Member UncommonPosts: 2,154
    Originally posted by Khrymson

Originally posted by Ekibiogami

The problem is that only a few Dungeons have trully worth while rewards makeing people only run the same say 15 Dungeons over and over. Its sad really.

Though why does one require a reward for exploring the dungeons in the first place.  Its about the adventure, not only solo but also with fellow players and friends and what you encounter within and most importantly if you walk out alive.  Finding or earning a reward really is just a small perk!

I guess I'll never understand this lust for End Game this and End Game that, and farming sets of gear...BORING!  Give me story and adventure!!!

Thats kinda the point of all my posts.....

If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude; greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
    —Samuel Adams

• MiMoSeTHMiMoSeTH Member UncommonPosts: 46

Nice pics :)

Too  bad i can't seem to fix the water looks myself, no matter what i tweak it looks like plastic and for some reason it bothers me a lot. Maybe it's only on the trial island or something

• TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627

To bad SOE is in charge of this game.   They have not really improved it much since taking control and in some cases they just borked it up more.   The game had so much potential. 

• billynomatesbillynomates Member Posts: 163
    Originally posted by jotull

I don't think the beauty was ever in question.....it was the total lack of interesting things to do or places to visit, endless vistas with zero content makes Homer go somthing somthing.

This is the biggest bit of bull crap i have read today,honestly you are talking shit.

• AbalisAbalis Member Posts: 48
    Originally posted by Teala

To bad SOE is in charge of this game.   They have not really improved it much since taking control and in some cases they just borked it up more.   The game had so much potential. 

Here's the key...the game still has potential and can still grow. 

The catalyst will be a growing, subscribing population.  People who love/enjoy this game and wish it would succeed, but who do not support it, are not aiding this game to reach its potential.  It really is in the hands of gamers whether this game bombs, limps along, or thrives.  If more people play this game, more resources can be devoted to it.  More resources could mean a larger dev team, which means long-standing bugs can be fixed, new content can be added (faster), etc.  It's a domino effect, and if we gamers are to cry over anything its the well-meaning/misguided forces driving players to not support a game they claim to otherwise enjoy, but who will not support it because of "population issues".  Because that just adds to the problem.

It's frustrating when one reads of players leaving because, although they love the game and there's nothing else out there quite like it, they're just too depressed over the population being so "low."  So they leave and contribute to the problem, not realizing they could have been part of the solution instead.  Maybe they just stop caring, I don't know, but I think games that get a lot right should be supported.  And VG is so different and offers so much compared to even more modern games, that it would be a damned shame if it died just because people abandoned it for "pop" issues.

Population "issues" can be worked around, and the two most populous servers are in pretty good shape.  The other servers could get there as well if people would actually play on them.  Regardless, bringing rl friends with you ingame, joining guilds, not being an ingame recluse, etc., are all keys to finding other players.  Learn the hubs and springs of where populations gather, learn to be "outgoing" and social, take advantage of mentoring, etc., etc.

It's that simple; SOE does not give extra handouts to games, they need to earn their way after the initial upfront investment (if you will).  And that's where gamers in general come in. ;)

• llibertylliberty Member Posts: 52

SOE and "greedy corp" haters, get over yourselves. Truly, you are the trolls of the MMO world. "Give us what we want, but you can't make money doing it or you are evil bastagges" ... pu-lease. Once you grow up, you will find that is how the world works, even the world of entertainment. Heck, some of the best entertainment in the world can cost you $5k/hr.  ;-P

I just started back in Vanguard a few days ago after having abysmal results with my system at the start of the game. I have played pretty much every game out there. I have beta'd most of them too, so I have a bit of perspective on what works and what doesn't. SOE blows it all the time by not advertising their games. If they actually ran a 'come back to us and see the difference' campaign like they so desperately do with SuckWG, selling mentoring, getting a few guilds involved, they would have made a better comeback than AO.

From my perspective server populations Are low, but I have yet to see any issues with finding a group, especially now mentoring is in and working. I found a great guild on day one, and haven't been bored since. All I can say is give it a try, you might love it, or you might hate it, pretty much like any other game out there.

• troydavidtroydavid Member Posts: 150

go crazy?

• ThillianThillian Member UncommonPosts: 3,156
    added a few screenshots

REALITY CHECK

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by Azureal

Last time I checked, this game cost more per month than most newer titles. Really SOE?

all of SOE mmos are priced similar to RIFT

pay for a year -- its 9.99 a month  ($119.88)

• BuccaneerBuccaneer Member UncommonPosts: 654

Here is a youtube vid of loads of screenie's of VG (not my work).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywnmt8SQKHg

and here is another youtube vid showing of the beauty of VG.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GE3MZf6q7Bk

Credit goes to the vid authors Mithelemir and SubJunk on youtube.

• ValuaValua Member Posts: 520
    Originally posted by Deleted User

Ever heard the expession, 'First impressions are lastin impressions.'?

This is exactly what happend to Vanguard. It sucked when it first came out. Not many people want ot revisit something that sucked. Some might, but most will not.

This can't really be applied to the MMO genre.

Look at DDO, Champions Online, CoH, DCUO, AoC and almost any other game that goes F2P.

When they go F2P they get a massive surge of players trying it out, this is how Lotro got a lot of it's most devout players.

F2P can, and usually does, help an MMO in trouble.

The thing with Vanguard though is how old it is, and how long it took SoE to make it F2P. It's very dated compared to many other F2P games out there. I just hope players give it a proper chance, otherwise they'll be missing out on a great game.

• TibernicusTibernicus Member Posts: 433
    Originally posted by Nadia
    Originally posted by Azureal

Last time I checked, this game cost more per month than most newer titles. Really SOE?

all of SOE mmos are priced similar to RIFT

pay for a year -- its 9.99 a month  ($119.88)

And its still a far better MMO than the vast majority of those newer games, and offers more content.

• ozerinxozerinx Member UncommonPosts: 200

I don't know with EQ1 initial launch population that was when I had the most fun. I can't imagine if EQ1 had as many people playing back then the amount of shops in the cave would drive me nuts. 

Population only matters if you play alone. If you play alone there must be a reason one you like playing alone two none of your rl or online friends want to play the game with you. If the problem is the second then try talking to the current community of VG. Most people are more than willing to take someone in or help you out and take you around the game. 

Why you would want a "huge" population in VG makes no sense. Guys there are no INSTANCES it is open world. Can you imagine how packed a dungeon would become? liek 100 people camping one name mob like it was an world boss or something. 

• tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192

Awesome pics OP,Ive been adding to my VG album lately too..

The game is probably my most favorite visually.IMO,the sky alone is worth a 1000 pics.