Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Thoughts on future weapons?

azmundaiazmundai Member UncommonPosts: 1,419

I was wondering, do you guys think they will add weapons?

Boomerangs?
Crossbows?
Throwing Stars?
Flails?

LFD tools are great for cramming people into content, but quality > quantity.
I am, usually on the sandbox .. more "hardcore" side of things, but I also do just want to have fun. So lighten up already :)

Comments

• JagaridJagarid Member UncommonPosts: 415

I'd be down for crossbows!

The weapon I am most looking forward to having added though is the 2-handed Axe (Great Axe, or whatever you want to call it).  

Pretty sure I saw a video where a dev indicated I would get my wish on that one, eventually.

Would also like to see a few asian themed weapons at some point.

• azmundaiazmundai Member UncommonPosts: 1,419

Originally posted by Jagarid
    I'd be down for crossbows!The weapon I am most looking forward to having added though is the 2-handed Axe (Great Axe, or whatever you want to call it).  Pretty sure I saw a video where a dev indicated I would get my wish on that one, eventually.Would also like to see a few asian themed weapons at some point. 

greataxe would be cool. I think they need another 1 or 2 ranged weapons asap tho. especially 1h ranged.

LFD tools are great for cramming people into content, but quality > quantity.
    I am, usually on the sandbox .. more "hardcore" side of things, but I also do just want to have fun. So lighten up already :)

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

I hear the Asura are working on something big...

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• Bl4ck3nDBl4ck3nD Member UncommonPosts: 114
  • zimboy69zimboy69 Member UncommonPosts: 395
    they might need to keep a few weapons for expansions 

• WeretigarWeretigar Member UncommonPosts: 600
    Originally posted by azmundai

I was wondering, do you guys think they will add weapons?

Boomerangs? When I see this I think Phantasy star 4, the original breath of fire. I think this would be a good range multi target weapon.
    Crossbows? Skyrim style then yes
    Throwing Stars? I feel like this would be more of an skill that could be added for a ninja class latter on like caltrops lol.
    Flails? I could see guardians using this

Other Weapons I would like to see

Kite shield Larger shield with 2 different end skills.

Lance, Monster hunter style with charge rake to knock enemies down pierce stab ect. 

Book for elementalist/ necros add more chanting type skills maybe it takes longer to recite verse but does huge dps.

Rapier, Sword that uses an elegant parry type system to evade more then defend. 

Katana, Sword Cane, Wakasashi, type weapon enables faster dodges by like iidk .25% that give off fast drawling attacks from sheath. (Have to be added in exp since it doesnt fit into GW2 current lore)

2 bladed sword like FF9 i would love to see somce classes using that.

land mines for engineer in wvw.

Cane like a gentleman's cane that added some elemental skills with maybe a painting like style when casting. Think more magic show. Maybe a good weapon for mesmer.

man the worlds made a lot of weapons lol.

• DerpybirdDerpybird Member Posts: 991
    I find it unlikely, but I would like to see unarmed combat, maybe several different fighting styles you could swap.

"Loading screens" are not "instances".
    Your personal efforts to troll any game will not, in fact, impact the success or failure of said game.

• yaoming36yaoming36 Member UncommonPosts: 189

Hand grenades and IEDs

True story.

• Matheusor1Matheusor1 Member Posts: 174
    How come no one mentioned scythes? They were so badass in GW1.
  • heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993

Spears both 2 handed and 1 handed which you can pair up with a shield(THIS IS KRYTA!")

Crossbows. I was actually hoping that a crossbow would have been a guardian's ranged weapon. Not a huge fan of their staff, I don't think it fits the class.

Maybe a whip for a thief and a ranger.

• AndorhalAndorhal Member UncommonPosts: 73
    I'd have to say no. More weapons means more skills, and the imbalance of a game is poportional to the amount of skills that need to be balanced. League of Legends is a pretty good example of this, WoW as well (they are constantly tweaking class balance, it goes back and forth, go read mmo-champion of you don't believe me).
  • HomituHomitu Member UncommonPosts: 2,030
    A scythe that turns into a shadowy staff whenever a necro casts a spell with it.  
  • Matheusor1Matheusor1 Member Posts: 174
    Originally posted by heartless

Spears both 2 handed and 1 handed which you can pair up with a shield(THIS IS KRYTA!")

Actually... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6p4-j4--ETI

THIS. IS. ELONA.

• stragen001stragen001 Member UncommonPosts: 1,720

Scythe. Definitely Scythe.

And a Lightsaber as an Environmental Weapon somewhere for the Asura. 

Cluck Cluck, Gibber Gibber, My Old Mans A Mushroom

• KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072

For expansion weapons, I'd like to see polearms, halberds and spears, and yes one handed spears for the sparta stuff ofcourse like mentioned :P

Crossbow is one of my favourite ranged weapon in fantasy games so, yeah, that'd be nice.

Also to imagine of medium to large sized norn wreacking havoc with only battle gauntlets in his hands is kind of a cool image. Uppercut with knockback, haymaker for high damage and daze, "swinging for the fences" aoe and so on! So I'd say fist weapons too.

• DrWookieDrWookie Member UncommonPosts: 263

Crossbows. I was actually hoping that a crossbow would have been a guardian's ranged weapon. Not a huge fan of their staff, I don't think it fits the class.

I concur with the spear. Especially the the one handed. Something akin to the Warden in LOTRO would be nice.

Also would definitely like to see a rapier, someone already mentioned that. Maybe there are already swords that look like rapiers in the game...but like when i think of a mesmer using a sword...I imagine it being a rapier. Rapier/Pistol would look awesome for a mesmer.

• korent1991korent1991 Member UncommonPosts: 1,364
    Originally posted by Matheusor1

I've seen a guy during the beta events with scythe in his hands... :)

Not sure how to, but it was there xD

"Happiness is not a destination. It is a method of life."
    -------------------------------

• GonzomikeGonzomike Member Posts: 30
     Hopefully one of the expansions will be the rediscovery of the Elona lands so we can get the scythes again.

• MagnnarotMagnnarot Member Posts: 50
    Originally posted by Andorhal
    I'd have to say no. More weapons means more skills, and the imbalance of a game is poportional to the amount of skills that need to be balanced. League of Legends is a pretty good example of this, WoW as well (they are constantly tweaking class balance, it goes back and forth, go read mmo-champion of you don't believe me).

Actually the balancing has nothing to do with the amount of skills, sure more means its harder, but in the end it all comes to the balancing team behind the game.

League of Legends has 116 champions, probably one of the most unbalanced MOBAs out there (togheter with HoN), whereas DotA has 108 heroes and is the most balanced MOBA by far, not only because of the time it had to tweak itself, but also because of the experience the balancing team has gained from years of fixing it.

Sure DotA is always changing like any MOBA, but any tweaking to its actual balance is always minor, aside when new heroes are added or old ones reworked, hotfixes nowadays are rather uncommon to address imbalance.

EDIT: Typos and spacing.

• MagnnarotMagnnarot Member Posts: 50
    Originally posted by korent1991
    Originally posted by Matheusor1

I've seen a guy during the beta events with scythe in his hands... :)

Not sure how to, but it was there xD

Necromancer staff assumes the form of a scythe when casting spell, thats probably what you saw.

• Ambros123Ambros123 Member Posts: 877

Scythes definately and spears.  I really hope that they introduce some very unique professions that used unusual weapons like they had in GW1.  Paragaon, Ritualist, Dervish to name a few.  The current professions are pretty staple... warrior, ranger, elementalis, theif... all those are pretty standard classes while the mesmer is the only class truely iconic to GW.

Personally would like to see some flails or morning stars with the chain.

And really adding new weapons present zero balancing issues, some tweaks maybe but nothing that will be like "ZOMG... I PWNed you noob... I'm OP!!!"

• JagaridJagarid Member UncommonPosts: 415

Scythes and spears would be awesome.  I originally did not say spears because those are already in the game, just as underwater only weapons.  But yah, a one-handed variety that works above would be awesome.

Also think Weretigar's idea of a larger shield variety would be great.   I don't know why I didn't think of it at all, considering my favorite class is Guardian, but right now we only have a single shield type.   That needs to be changed!

As far as balance issues goes, I think people are mixing it up with the kinds of issues where skills are class based and each class has like 20-30 skills.  Adding a new class can be a pretty complicated process for balancing.

I imagine it is a little easier to add a new weapon with only 2, 3 or, at most, 5 skills.

• AndorhalAndorhal Member UncommonPosts: 73
    Originally posted by Magnnarot
    Originally posted by Andorhal

Actually the balancing has nothing to do with the amount of skills, sure more means its harder, but in the end it all comes to the balancing team behind the game.

League of Legends has 116 champions, probably one of the most unbalanced MOBAs out there (togheter with HoN), whereas DotA has 108 heroes and is the most balanced MOBA by far, not only because of the time it had to tweak itself, but also because of the experience the balancing team has gained from years of fixing it.

Sure DotA is always changing like any MOBA, but any tweaking to its actual balance is always minor, aside when new heroes are added or old ones reworked, hotfixes nowadays are rather uncommon to address imbalance.

EDIT: Typos and spacing.

As more skills are added, all of the other skills need to be compared to its effectiveness, along with the viability of the build as whole. Either stuff starts breaking down / getting abandoned (like the majority of the LoL heroes) unless more help is brought in.

A lack of fixes does not mean the game is balanced. The original DotA (WC3) was the origin of MOBAs so it has been longer by definition and probably is more balanced as a result, even so, I doubt that the original DotA is balanced to its best. (Besides, most of the major DotA developers have either moved on to the various modern MOBAs or stopped modding + WC3 custom games are pretty much dead at this point [90% of the hosts are bots] which would explain the lack of updates)

In any event, MOBAs should (in theory) be better balanced because they have to only worry about PvP in (usually) one enviornment. Here in GW2, they have to take both PvE and PvP into account along with varying enviornmental factors.

• Originally posted by Derpybird
    I find it unlikely, but I would like to see unarmed combat, maybe several different fighting styles you could swap.

Good idea Derpy.  I know it's not "unarmed" but perhaps they could have fist weapons like brass knuckles and claws in order to implement them.

• heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993
    Originally posted by DrWookie

I concur with the spear. Especially the the one handed. Something akin to the Warden in LOTRO would be nice.

Also would definitely like to see a rapier, someone already mentioned that. Maybe there are already swords that look like rapiers in the game...but like when i think of a mesmer using a sword...I imagine it being a rapier. Rapier/Pistol would look awesome for a mesmer.

A rapier would be sweet. Not just as another sword but with it's own fighting style, kind of like the musketeers. Would probably work best for rangers, thieves and mesmers.

I also really want to see unarmed combat. Maybe if we ever get access to Cantha, Anet can add some sort of a martial artist class or weapon set.