Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Rabid Fanboyism

Comments

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,990
    Originally posted by bcbully
    Originally posted by Roybe
    A pessimist sees a glass as half empty, an optimist half full.  A realist sees a glass of pee and refuses to drink it.

Even though the marketing department tells you "It's rain water from the from the rocky mountains"

Here we go.

Now the thread is complete. Was wondering when you would show up

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• LytheEmberLytheEmber Member UncommonPosts: 43
    Originally posted by Jormung
    Originally posted by LytheEmber

Again, whoa!  Check my small number of posts.  I have NEVER stated this.  I am not sure who you were responding to with that.  You think this community will be one of the worst you've ever seen.  What does THAT have to do with the cliched "second coming of Christ" statement that I have only EVER seen either through satirical threads/posts or from people who use it as an excuse to attack a wide swathe of inidividuals?  I have not seen any members of this community make such a statement in a realistic manner.  And I did not call you hater.

you can blame swtor fans for that around last year. they held their own game crush on such a high pedestal that the thought of a game being better must have meant it was the holy grail and jesus come down himself. it started in swotr forums across the net. just the implication that GW2 would be a better MMO than SWTOR meant it was the second coming, why? because that's the level of faith and hope that was placed on the prestigious Bioware's super IP masterpiece backed by the unlimited funds of EA.

there was only one thing GW2 could be if it were soooo much ebtter than TOR! thus the second coming argument was born. it was naturally carried into other games that acted as life boats for them.

Well I was all for SWTOR as well and played it for about 4 months.  I do not recall any of that but then again I did not read those forums that much so I may have missed it.  Thanks for the clarification.

Originally posted by Wickedjelly
    Originally posted by bcbully
    Originally posted by Roybe
    A pessimist sees a glass as half empty, an optimist half full.  A realist sees a glass of pee and refuses to drink it.

Even though the marketing department tells you "It's rain water from the from the rocky mountains"

Here we go.

Now the thread is complete. Was wondering when you would show up

On that we can agree, Wicked.  Now it's a party!

• zimboy69zimboy69 Member UncommonPosts: 395
    dont worry we will all be gone next week

• ZezdaZezda Member UncommonPosts: 686

This is like the 10th thread I've seen about people complaining about the fact that when people post blatently false information and try to pass it off as factual people correct them. 

There are the very occasional posters who do go over the mark but for the vast majority of threads what basically happens is that someone who doesn't like the game, for whatever reason, makes a thread about the game being P2W, or that PvP or PvE doesn't take any 'skill and then others come in to the thread to show why they are basically being misleading. I would rather have that with a few people going overboard than just have the entire first page full of trolls with misleading 'facts' about the game.

Also, by creating this thread in itself you are no better than the trolls or those who go too far in trying to correct them. As I said there have been many threads that say the exact same thing as you have here and you could either have just read those and be done with it or added to them yourself. Since you didn't I have to enquire as to your intentions here as it just seems like you want to create yet another one of 'those threads'.

So you agree with that statement?  Really?  Tell me you're not.  That's who I was responding to.  Or do you agree with the original post?  I very much agree with the last part of his post.  Peace and love and all that!  We need more of that to be sure...

And my point?  My point was to address a SPECIFIC poster, which I did, and how he/she has made similar replies that were short, lacking of substance and simply mirrored the negative tilt of an original post without adding anything to the discussion.  I gave an example of such.  I did NOT generalize that all people who agree with negative threads towards GW2 were automatically wrong.  Some do make valid points.  Again I was addressing ONE poster and I made such very clear.

Or was my statement about the community on my server being wonderful a generalization?  Perhaps it is, but it was NOT an attack on a group of people and I gave a specific example (rezzing) that MANY players have witnessed to back that statement up.

I am glad I amused you.  I've got a pretty good sense of humor.

You refer to him as being a bandwagoneer and can't see how you're generalizing. Seriously? Really no point in discusing anything further if you can't even see that.

Perhaps I am guilty of "existential generalization."  http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/generalization?s=t

Check it out in the link.  It's near the bottom of the page.  

But according to this rather verbose definition my type of generalization is "valid" since I am referring to a VERY finite "group", i.e. ONE person and not an entire community.

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935

Posts like these keep coming up because some people have been here long enough to see this cyclical pattern happen with every game that has been released in the last decade.  There are a handful of posters who post every possible feature of the upcoming game, praising its every aspect to the point that it becomes annoying (I think we can all agree that an excess of anything can be irritating).

The rest of us sit by and watch and unless we are waving the torch with that niche of people, our threads get swallowed up by these zealous few.  (They essentially cram the game down your throat).

Then, the game launches. we all start enjoying it and a month later these same people take to the forums and bash the game with every single post.  And unless you join in their bashing, you get swallowed up. (You get attacked for liking the game or even enjoying it because contrary to what they may say, these select few live and breath this game the moment it's announced and get some sort of overemotional attachment with it).

That's the problem. 

Until that group learns to settle down and stop over-hyping then over-bashing a game to death these posts will continue to crop up with every game.

The rest of us just sit back and watch.

This is not some diabolical scheme to destroy GW2 or any other game; it's simply a reaction to those select few.

• StrixMaximaStrixMaxima Member UncommonPosts: 865

I've seen very little 'rabid fanboyism' around GW2, at least over here. Most people who enjoy the game are eager to analyse it, praising the ups and criticizing the downs. We all have small things we would like to see changed, but we are as a whole pleased with the general direction of the game.

What I do see here is a strange tendency to label people who like the game as 'fanboys', with little or no evidence to support this accusation. It's like a crime enjoying a title, now? Do every fan need to be a stoic, emotionless critic?

Kinda strange, if you ask me.

But, in the end, I couldn't care less. I already prepurchased, I already played, I will continue playing, I will have fun, and I will be vocal about things I like and dislike about the game.

• AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    OP why are you so affected by other people? If you bring up good points and people refuse to acknowledge it then who cares? Maybe step away from the forums for a while?
  • ariboersmaariboersma Member Posts: 1,802
    Originally posted by Svarcanum

I've been looking forward to Guild Wars 2 for a very long time. I prepurchased as soon as I had the option. And I've been clearing my schedual in anticipation for the upcoming launch. But all the uncritical fanboys on forums such as these are really starting to discourage me. I can see a number of flaws in Guild Wars 2, I can't see how people refuse to acknowledge them. The only way for ANet to actually improve their game is for them NOT to think they just improved on sliced bread and can sit back and relax. Every fanboy post I read makes me looking forward to the launch less and less. *sad face*

You love GW2, I love GW2, but please let's not be blind to its faults and issues and instead encourage open discussions so that the game makes room for improvement. Overandout.

I would love to see these posts since I am in these threads quite a bit and NEVER have I seen a REAL post as you have described.. of course there are several joke posts about GW2 being the second coming.. but you do understand jokes right?

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

So much fail in these threads..

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• azmundaiazmundai Member UncommonPosts: 1,419

Originally posted by Wickedjelly Originally posted by LytheEmber So you agree with that statement?  Really?  Tell me you're not.  That's who I was responding to.  Or do you agree with the original post?  I very much agree with the last part of his post.  Peace and love and all that!  We need more of that to be sure... And my point?  My point was to address a SPECIFIC poster, which I did, and how he/she has made similar replies that were short, lacking of substance and simply mirrored the negative tilt of an original post without adding anything to the discussion.  I gave an example of such.  I did NOT generalize that all people who agree with negative threads towards GW2 were automatically wrong.  Some do make valid points.  Again I was addressing ONE poster and I made such very clear. Or was my statement about the community on my server being wonderful a generalization?  Perhaps it is, but it was NOT an attack on a group of people and I gave a specific example (rezzing) that MANY players have witnessed to back that statement up. I am glad I amused you.  I've got a pretty good sense of humor.
    You refer to him as being a bandwagoneer and can't see how you're generalizing. Seriously? Really no point in discusing anything further if you can't even see that.
    Perhaps I am guilty of "existential generalization."  http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/generalization?s=t

But according to this rather verbose definition my type of generalization is "valid" since I am referring to a VERY finite "group", i.e. ONE person and not an entire community.

glad you were able to validate yourself ...

except that :

"completely agree. this is shaping up to be one of the worst communities I have ever seen."

is not a generalization either. it is an opinion.

LFD tools are great for cramming people into content, but quality > quantity.
    I am, usually on the sandbox .. more "hardcore" side of things, but I also do just want to have fun. So lighten up already :)

Originally posted by StrixMaxima

I've seen very little 'rabid fanboyism' around GW2, at least over here. Most people who enjoy the game are eager to analyse it, praising the ups and criticizing the downs. We all have small things we would like to see changed, but we are as a whole pleased with the general direction of the game.

What I do see here is a strange tendency to label people who like the game as 'fanboys', with little or no evidence to support this accusation. It's like a crime enjoying a title, now? Do every fan need to be a stoic, emotionless critic?

Kinda strange, if you ask me.

But, in the end, I couldn't care less. I already prepurchased, I already played, I will continue playing, I will have fun, and I will be vocal about things I like and dislike about the game.

Good to see you, Strix.  I've read many of your posts and they are always well thought out.  You've even expressed concerns about the game along with the praise.

Perhaps these feelings are a result of people who like GW2 posting in another game's forums simply for the sake of touting GW2?  I cannot attest to the validity of that as I do not visit those forums very often (and never post there) but such actions have been cited in previous threads.

Anyway, I am hoping the GW2 community will be mostly positive. 

• DerpybirdDerpybird Member Posts: 991
    Originally posted by ariboersma

I've been looking forward to Guild Wars 2 for a very long time. I prepurchased as soon as I had the option. And I've been clearing my schedual in anticipation for the upcoming launch. But all the uncritical fanboys on forums such as these are really starting to discourage me. I can see a number of flaws in Guild Wars 2, I can't see how people refuse to acknowledge them. The only way for ANet to actually improve their game is for them NOT to think they just improved on sliced bread and can sit back and relax. Every fanboy post I read makes me looking forward to the launch less and less. *sad face*

You love GW2, I love GW2, but please let's not be blind to its faults and issues and instead encourage open discussions so that the game makes room for improvement. Overandout.

I would love to see these posts since I am in these threads quite a bit and NEVER have I seen a REAL post as you have described.. of course there are several joke posts about GW2 being the second coming.. but you do understand jokes right?

I would also like to understand better how one distinguishes between a game's "faults" and "things that are either in the game that I do not want or not in the game that I want."

When you have a post that says "There is no end game raiding like WoW in GW2 therefore player retention will be poor," is this to be considered:

1. a "fault" that should "rationally be discussed"
    2. an opinion based on what you want in a game and think makes a game successful
    3. a prediction of failure
    4. all of the above
    There is at least one forum thread critical of GW2 per day, and on most days multiple threads. And when the same people post the same kinds of things regularly, how are these to be greeted? As an invitation for critical analysis, or something else?

If someone could give us some specific examples of things that are "objective faults" (or as close to objective as possible) that would be really helpful, because what I see most of the time are complaints based on personal tastes or desires (e.g. the game should have this because I want it), and when members of the community don't agree with that person, they go away complaining about the non-critical, rabid fanbois of the GW2 forums.

"Loading screens" are not "instances".
    Your personal efforts to troll any game will not, in fact, impact the success or failure of said game.

• snapfusionsnapfusion Member Posts: 954
    Originally posted by Cromica

The only fault I came up with was that it was overheating my graphics card, but after looking into it it was my cards fault for not increasing the fan speed while under load.

Oh yea and that its not out yet.

If you cant find a single flaw in the design of a computer game either means your lying or your are the most uncreative human being to walk the plant earth, or your just trying to be funny.  I hope its just the later.

Originally posted by azmundai

Originally posted by LytheEmber So you agree with that statement?  Really?  Tell me you're not.  That's who I was responding to.  Or do you agree with the original post?  I very much agree with the last part of his post.  Peace and love and all that!  We need more of that to be sure... And my point?  My point was to address a SPECIFIC poster, which I did, and how he/she has made similar replies that were short, lacking of substance and simply mirrored the negative tilt of an original post without adding anything to the discussion.  I gave an example of such.  I did NOT generalize that all people who agree with negative threads towards GW2 were automatically wrong.  Some do make valid points.  Again I was addressing ONE poster and I made such very clear. Or was my statement about the community on my server being wonderful a generalization?  Perhaps it is, but it was NOT an attack on a group of people and I gave a specific example (rezzing) that MANY players have witnessed to back that statement up. I am glad I amused you.  I've got a pretty good sense of humor.

glad you were able to validate yourself ...

except that :

"completely agree. this is shaping up to be one of the worst communities I have ever seen."

is not a generalization either. it is an opinion.

I surely hope you actually read my link.  Did you check out the "universal generalization" part?  Being your opinion does not negate the fact that you are speaking about (the subject) MANY people and not just one, thus it is a generalization.  I am offering examples and links, you are simply restating the negativity in quotation marks and using the old standby retort that since it is your opinion you can in no way be wrong. 

Sure, it's your opinion so in YOUR mind it cannot be wrong.  However, when you express your opinion in a public forum it is not inarguable nor impervious to questioning, ESPECIALLY when it is used to denigrate a large group of people.  Insulting a group and then hiding behind the "opinion" word is not a convincing argument.

On topic: I like the fact that you can see downed players on the minimap.  It makes me WANT to go over and rez them and be helpful.

• bookworm438bookworm438 Member Posts: 647

I didn't realize people being excited about a game they like is considered being a fanboy. Almost all of us here have already put many hours into the game and it's not even out yet, and we haven't even seen most of the areas. Last I checked this was a GUILD WARS 2 FORUM, for us to talk about GUILD WARS 2, with other GUILD WARS 2 FANS.

Why are you letting other people influence your decision to get the game? If you enjoy the game or are interested in it, get it. If not, don't get it. It's really that simple.

I'm more of a pessimist than optimist. Yes. And I'm not talking about whining about design decisions. The game won't focus on end game gear grinding through raids? Fine. That's a design decision. 

An example of the flaw I mean is player retention. The game will by design have lower retention/player activity than games that FORCE you to play/grind in order to keep up with the power progression of everyone else. Now that's a design decision. Don't play unless you're having fine. Take a break and come back in a month and have fun again. But the game also has servers and both pve and wvw is designed to work best when there's a minimum population playing. This doesn't really add up. In my opinion a system to continually manage server pops need to be in place for the game to work smoothly over time.

But this thread wasn't created to discuss the various flaws of GW2. So I'm leaving the above at that.

I don't think you understand what a flaw is. A flaw in the game would be if the a certain aspect didn't work as intended. Player retention would be a concern, and your paragraph would be mere speculation based on what's been done in the past. And so I'll counter your speculation with this:

Power progression does not keep people interested in MMOs. People keep people interested in MMOs. The connections you make in any MMO is what keeps you playing beyond boredom. Why? Because with other people, that same job you've been doing over and over and over ad nauseam makes it seem fun. The fact is, except for WoW, gear progression hasnt helped retain many players in many games released so far. If people can't make connections with other players easily then they most likely won't keep playing beyond the point they grow bored. GW2 has many tools to help people easily make connections with other people. It has PvE where everyone who contributes to a kill benefits from it, so there's no longer view other people as annoyances. It has events where you can just naturally work alongside other people. It has WvW to promote server pride. Lets put it this way, if you and a group of people face a very tough event or somehow manage to keep a keep against all odds, chances are you will feel a connection to those people. You'll start talking to them and friend list them.

• DeddpoolDeddpool Member UncommonPosts: 197
    Been waiting for it for 5 years.  Played every beta and enjoyed it immensley.  Any complaint I have is minor or just an opinion.  So what if fanboys go nuts?  Its like roaming the desert for 5 years and getting a few drops of water here and there, then finally someone gives you a big effin gatorade.

I would also like to understand better how one distinguishes between a game's "faults" and "things that are either in the game that I do not want or not in the game that I want."

Now THAT is a good question/statement.  I LOVE to dodge (I was an insane "tumbler" in DDO on my ranger so much so that I was nicknamed "Spider Monkey") and would love to dodge ALL I want with no limitations.  That is not a fault in the game, merely my preference.  And having played the game and having used the mechanic I understand WHY I cannot dodge all I want.  Therefore, I will not rant about not having this feature because to do so would be fruitless/pointless.

I just prefer to focus on what I like about the game (cooperation), but that in NO way makes me blind to what could be done better.

For example, If I go back to do the level 50 dungeon (Sylvari lands I think) at level 80 will the cosmetic gear get a boost to level 80 stats or will I be forced to use transmutation stones to merge that look with level 80 stats.  I do not know the answer and such extra "work" COULD be a fault since the game is based on cooperation and eliminating required timesinks. 

Then again is getting a certain set of armor REALLY a required timesink?  Not when I take a second to think about it.

So Mr. Bird I guess the answer lies within each person and their willingness to look at each facet objectively and that does not happen in every case, for OR against the game.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Who cares?  Yes, the game has faults, every game does.. but I would never let fans dictate whether or not I enjoy or am excited about a top quality product.  Don't like it?  Don't read the forums.  Besides, the game is almost here, people will stop talking about it then and the ones you meet in game will be helping you in DE's, and the few left on the forums still spewing crap are probably just unhappy with MMOs in general.  Be patient, the storm is almost over. 
  • Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359

I'm going to be honest...posts like these annoy me far more than the "rabid fanboi" posts that supposedly dominate this subforum.  The "fanboi posts" are generally just people excited about the game...and to be honest, I don't think that most of them are as "rabid" as you think.  I'm sure there are rabid fanbois here, but if you take a sample of the regular GW2 fans on this forum like myself, Aerowyn, or BadSpock, you will find that while we love the game, we actually have some criticisms of it.

Also, I feel like the number one complaint leveled against GW2 is its "community" and how the fanbois turn everyone off.  Honestly, if the biggest complaint about a game is that people are excited about it...then maybe the rabid fanbois are onto something.

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

• AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    No! You must temper that enjoyment with cynicism because SOMETHING must always be bad and should be focused on.

It's not like feedback will happen over time after the game releases or anything.
    Originally posted by Aelious
    No! You must temper that enjoyment with cynicism because SOMETHING must always be bad and should be focused on.

It's not like feedback will happen over time after the game releases or anything.

LOL for real.

I would hate to be a kid at Christmas and have the folks who post topics like this around:

Fanboi hater:  "Go ahead and open your present little Jimmy!"

Jimmy:   "A Tonka truck, yay!!!  Thank you so much uncle hater, it's what I always wanted!!!  It's so awesome!!!"  

Fanboi Hater:  "NO!"  <abruptly takes="" truck="" from="" jimmy's="" hand="">  "If you looked closer you would see that the wheels are just plastic, not rubber, the axel rod is a thin piece of metal and will probably snap in a few months, and there is a tiny imperfection in the paint near the hood.  Are you blind to this truck's faults?!?!?!  Stupid fanboi."

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,990
    Originally posted by Creslin321

I'm going to be honest...posts like these annoy me far more than the "rabid fanboi" posts that supposedly dominate this subforum.  The "fanboi posts" are generally just people excited about the game...and to be honest, I don't think that most of them are as "rabid" as you think.  I'm sure there are rabid fanbois here, but if you take a sample of the regular GW2 fans on this forum like myself, Aerowyn, or BadSpock, you will find that while we love the game, we actually have some criticisms of it.

Also, I feel like the number one complaint leveled against GW2 is its "community" and how the fanbois turn everyone off.  Honestly, if the biggest complaint about a game is that people are excited about it...then maybe the rabid fanbois are onto something.

Lol...I'm amazed you can include Badspock in there with you and Aerowynn with a straight face.

Much of this is from happenings related to other game forums. I said it before and I'll say it again. You reap what you sow. Not surprising in the least some feel this way.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

Originally posted by Creslin321

Lol...I'm amazed you can include Badspock in there with you and Aerowynn with a straight face.

Much of this is from happenings related to other game forums. I said it before and I'll say it again. You reap what you sow. Not surprising in the least some feel this way.

"You reap what you sow?"  Seriously WTF does that even mean?

These are people excited for a game, not people strip mining a nature reserve.  What exactly are they "sowing" and what are they going to "reap?"  

OMG, they are excited about a game that they may one day no longer like!  I guess the only solution is to never get excited about anything ever again because I may one day be dissappointed by it.  

That's healthy.

This discussion has been closed.