Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Rabid Fanboyism

Comments

• GamerUntouchGamerUntouch Member Posts: 488
    Prelaunch hype, wait a week and it'll cool down.
  • rdrakkenrdrakken Member Posts: 426
    Originally posted by Aerowyn

because there have been good discussions about pvp limitations in this game.. and for the most part that hasn't been as high in the number of people who have been complaining about aspects of the game..  but I can add some of you want.. no open world pvp, WvWvW is nothing but a zerg fest, sPVP requires no skill, why would people pvp for cosmetics, ect ect actually most my comments in the pervious post could be applied to PVP

The very reasons why I like the game.

1. No game in my eyes is going to match the one on one PvP skill required that I received in Asherons Call so I am no longer even bothering to look. The genre will never again see a duel lasting for 30+ minutes, most of todays newer players couldnt handle that kind of rush because they are so used to facerolling their keyboards during fights that last a minute long.

2. Open world PvP only works in non gear based games, gear based open world PvP is nothing more than a gank fest being done by those decked out needing an easy fight or just wanting to grief other players.

3. for same reasons as above, cosmetic only rewards for PvP means that you are PvPing for FUN...not ITEMS to make you uber...an idea that has been lost over the last 6 years...playing for FUN, not a reward. This is why so many games have become nothing more than a carrot on a stick.

4. Zerg fest = massive battles and belongging to a very large guild that has been around for 15 years means we finally may actually get to fight in an actual WAR...something a lot of games promissed but could never actually bring. Anything to end the terrible idea of PvP instance games...capture the flag is meant for FPS, not RPG PvP. I dont want to capture a flag, I want to capture a CASTLE or take control of a zone against my enemies. No more, kill the player only to have him respawn at a GY(that can be camped) time and time again...how about a PvP zone where you can enter ONCE each battle and when you die...you are OUT and whatever side kills the most and holds the zone...wins.                                                                                                                                                                           

• mazutmazut Member UncommonPosts: 988
    Originally posted by Svarcanum

I've been looking forward to Guild Wars 2 for a very long time. I prepurchased as soon as I had the option. And I've been clearing my schedual in anticipation for the upcoming launch. But all the uncritical fanboys on forums such as these are really starting to discourage me. I can see a number of flaws in Guild Wars 2, I can't see how people refuse to acknowledge them. The only way for ANet to actually improve their game is for them NOT to think they just improved on sliced bread and can sit back and relax. Every fanboy post I read makes me looking forward to the launch less and less. *sad face*

You love GW2, I love GW2, but please let's not be blind to its faults and issues and instead encourage open discussions so that the game makes room for improvement. Overandout.

Nobody force you to read this forums. Most threads are pointless anyway.

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member Posts: 4,990
    Originally posted by MosesZD
    Originally posted by Jormung
    Originally posted by Wickedjelly

i know you mean this about the secret world but the situation pre-dates that and carries over from SWTOR. now it was equal parts blame back then, probably more leaning toward theTOR boys. look how many of the ex-swtor fans are the same ones leading the OMG GW2 fanboys! chare for TERA and TSW. and the rest will be back at it as soon as they find a good game to play besides GW2.

In all honesty, there were quite a few GW2 fanboys prancing around in SWTOR forums as well. I got a kick out of it though because as you said the SWTOR fanboys were equally unnerving so it was rather amusing to watch them butt heads over matters.

and it's cool to just see one side and blame GW2 fans now becaue you're into TSW and five gw2 fans vocally dilike it? yet those same SWTOR fanboys are doing the same thing, just under the Funcom banner.

looking at Funcom's general forum....they're just as bad. topics on there are either "do your part to help funcom survive" posts, "bash GW2 when someone makes a quit/complaint topic and doesn't even mention GW2" posts or "bash GW2 out of nowhere" posts.

You smoked him out.   Congrats.   I noticed the same thing.

Lol smoked who out? Are you that dense you think that is me or something? Wtf are you even going on about?

That doesn't prove anything. There are SWTOR fanboys now highlighting this game and slamming others as well. So really wtf is your point?

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• thexratedthexrated Member UncommonPosts: 1,368
    Originally posted by Lucioon

I'm more of a pessimist than optimist. Yes. And I'm not talking about whining about design decisions. The game won't focus on end game gear grinding through raids? Fine. That's a design decision. 

An example of the flaw I mean is player retention. The game will by design have lower retention/player activity than games that FORCE you to play/grind in order to keep up with the power progression of everyone else. Now that's a design decision. Don't play unless you're having fine. Take a break and come back in a month and have fun again. But the game also has servers and both pve and wvw is designed to work best when there's a minimum population playing. This doesn't really add up. In my opinion a system to continually manage server pops need to be in place for the game to work smoothly over time.

But this thread wasn't created to discuss the various flaws of GW2. So I'm leaving the above at that.

I am really tired of posters whom just plainly assume that GW2 doesn't have retention rates just because its not like other MMO out there.

What makes you think there is no Retention rate, League of Legends is also an B2P game, and its always populated with thousands of players. You can't log in and not find a match going on. I know its a bad example seeing that LOL isn't an MMO.

But still , with all the previous MMO released, its actually very apparent that the original formula of an MMO is the ones that can't keep their player bases. Very different result compared to your assumption.

SWTOR kept me for 2 months, and just by playing BWE of GW2, I know it will keep me for more that 2 month. And thats actual playing experience of GW2.

So did I just prove that GW2 will keep me as a player longer than SWTOR. I guess I just did.

While you could calculate a sort of retention rates for a B2P game, like GW2, it is not the same as with subscription-based games. So yeah, those people who make those claims are quite corrent. In subscription-based games, it is commonly used to measure the financial success of the game and it is rather simple formula.

"The person who experiences greatness must have a feeling for the myth he is in."

• otinanai123otinanai123 Member Posts: 265
    Originally posted by Somsbal
    Originally posted by otinanai123
    Originally posted by cinos

This is a new type of fanboy. I've never seen it before in any other game. It's some kind of mutated ex-blizz fanboy who turned to a blizz-hater who then turned to a gw2 fanboy.

I honestly have no idea how GW2 will turn out because you can't have any logical discussion about the game without fanboys shitting it up. I fear the downfall of GW2 will be its own fanbase.

Please. If bad apples in a community could cause the downfall of a game then MOBA's wouldn't exist.

LoL has one of the worst communities I've ever experienced and it has 30 million players or something rediculous.

WoW, same terrible community, and yet it's been going strong for years with millions of subscribers.

Why is this? Because for every bad 'fanboy' you find, there are 50 decent people who just want to play and have fun. Taking a community sample from MMORPG.com of all places is probably the worst thing you can do.

Any game with a large enough population is going to have it's share of dicks, but to say there's some kind of mutated breed infesting GW2 is down right ludicrous. Then you go and say you want a logical discussion. Lol. :p

I can't comment about LoL, but WoW has indeed a terrible community and we have seen how much worse the game is getting with every expansion. That's because it is literally impossible to get any kind of reliable feedback from the WoW forums and the developers are completely on their own, which is why they make mistake after mistake and some issues haven't been fixed even after 8 years. The same will happen with gw2. The devs will have to improve a game with pretty much no feedback, it's very unlikely they will succeed.

You only need to see the changes made between BWE's and the correlation between the feedback given on the forums in previous events to see that that is not true.

Will that change in the next 8 years? Who knows. So far though, the feedback and Anet's handling of it seem to be bang on.

Even if Anet messed everything up you would still say it's "bang on". That's because you haven't  really played GW2 but just a demo of it. At release you will see more and more flaws every day, and then you may start giving them real feedback and they can start fixing the game, but then it may be too late (see D3).

(btw by you I mean "the fanboys")

Why do you want to see every single thing in the beta? Do you want everything to be spoiled for you already before the game is out?

I'd rather have some bugs+a sense of mystery in the game, instead of no bugs+already knowing every detail about the game.

Seriously..

Ιt's not about what I want. It's about what GW2 needs to become the game Anet hopes ("the one that will beat WoW" as they said themselves). For me personally I really wanted a game that gets World PvP right for the first time since pre-2003 DAoC but it seems GW2 won't be the one.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by rdrakken

because there have been good discussions about pvp limitations in this game.. and for the most part that hasn't been as high in the number of people who have been complaining about aspects of the game..  but I can add some of you want.. no open world pvp, WvWvW is nothing but a zerg fest, sPVP requires no skill, why would people pvp for cosmetics, ect ect actually most my comments in the pervious post could be applied to PVP

The very reasons why I like the game.

1. No game in my eyes is going to match the one on one PvP skill required that I received in Asherons Call so I am no longer even bothering to look. The genre will never again see a duel lasting for 30+ minutes, most of todays newer players couldnt handle that kind of rush because they are so used to facerolling their keyboards during fights that last a minute long.

2. Open world PvP only works in non gear based games, gear based open world PvP is nothing more than a gank fest being done by those decked out needing an easy fight or just wanting to grief other players.

3. for same reasons as above, cosmetic only rewards for PvP means that you are PvPing for FUN...not ITEMS to make you uber...an idea that has been lost over the last 6 years...playing for FUN, not a reward. This is why so many games have become nothing more than a carrot on a stick.

4. Zerg fest = massive battles and belongging to a very large guild that has been around for 15 years means we finally may actually get to fight in an actual WAR...something a lot of games promissed but could never actually bring. Anything to end the terrible idea of PvP instance games...capture the flag is meant for FPS, not RPG PvP. I dont want to capture a flag, I want to capture a CASTLE or take control of a zone against my enemies. No more, kill the player only to have him respawn at a GY(that can be camped) time and time again...how about a PvP zone where you can enter ONCE each battle and when you die...you are OUT and whatever side kills the most and holds the zone...wins.                                                                                                                                                                           

think you missed the point of my post:)

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• LytheEmberLytheEmber Member UncommonPosts: 43
    Originally posted by Wickedjelly
    Originally posted by LytheEmber
    Originally posted by azmundai

I've been looking forward to Guild Wars 2 for a very long time. I prepurchased as soon as I had the option. And I've been clearing my schedual in anticipation for the upcoming launch. But all the uncritical fanboys on forums such as these are really starting to discourage me. I can see a number of flaws in Guild Wars 2, I can't see how people refuse to acknowledge them. The only way for ANet to actually improve their game is for them NOT to think they just improved on sliced bread and can sit back and relax. Every fanboy post I read makes me looking forward to the launch less and less. *sad face*

You love GW2, I love GW2, but please let's not be blind to its faults and issues and instead encourage open discussions so that the game makes room for improvement. Overandout.

completely agree. this is shaping up to be one of the worst communities I have ever seen.

And here is another response that is nothing more than a hateful generalization toward an entire group of people.  You sir/ma'am are another poster who simply jumps on the bandwagon of a negative GW2 thread.  I have seen you do so more than once, though below you will find one specific example if you need it.  Wow only two days ago!

its called fotm.

new game comes out, and the hype that people frenzy themselves into leaves them blind to anything that their new flagship doesnt champion.

This message was edited on 8/16/12 at 3:49:32 PM

On topic: The GW community on MY server in the BWEs were wonderful!  I was rezzed by strangers (cursed jumping puzzles!) countless times!

Your point? He brings up a valid issue. One I can agree with. Amusing you bring up generalizations when you seem prone to do the same thing.

So you agree with that statement?  Really?  Tell me you're not.  That's who I was responding to.  Or do you agree with the original post?  I very much agree with the last part of his post.  Peace and love and all that!  We need more of that to be sure...

And my point?  My point was to address a SPECIFIC poster, which I did, and how he/she has made similar replies that were short, lacking of substance and simply mirrored the negative tilt of an original post without adding anything to the discussion.  I gave an example of such.  I did NOT generalize that all people who agree with negative threads towards GW2 were automatically wrong.  Some do make valid points.  Again I was addressing ONE poster and I made such very clear.

Or was my statement about the community on my server being wonderful a generalization?  Perhaps it is, but it was NOT an attack on a group of people and I gave a specific example (rezzing) that MANY players have witnessed to back that statement up.

I am glad I amused you.  I've got a pretty good sense of humor.

badspock and like two others vs.... oh well since it's gonna get me marked and axed i will name them in a PM to you.

I'm not going to start naming posters. Seems petty to me. My point was I would love to know how those links supposedly "smoked me out". Would love to see the rationale behind that statement.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• otinanai123otinanai123 Member Posts: 265

This is a new type of fanboy. I've never seen it before in any other game. It's some kind of mutated ex-blizz fanboy who turned to a blizz-hater who then turned to a gw2 fanboy.

I honestly have no idea how GW2 will turn out because you can't have any logical discussion about the game without fanboys shitting it up. I fear the downfall of GW2 will be its own fanbase.

Please. If bad apples in a community could cause the downfall of a game then MOBA's wouldn't exist.

LoL has one of the worst communities I've ever experienced and it has 30 million players or something rediculous.

WoW, same terrible community, and yet it's been going strong for years with millions of subscribers.

Why is this? Because for every bad 'fanboy' you find, there are 50 decent people who just want to play and have fun. Taking a community sample from MMORPG.com of all places is probably the worst thing you can do.

Any game with a large enough population is going to have it's share of dicks, but to say there's some kind of mutated breed infesting GW2 is down right ludicrous. Then you go and say you want a logical discussion. Lol. :p

I can't comment about LoL, but WoW has indeed a terrible community and we have seen how much worse the game is getting with every expansion. That's because it is literally impossible to get any kind of reliable feedback from the WoW forums and the developers are completely on their own, which is why they make mistake after mistake and some issues haven't been fixed even after 8 years. The same will happen with gw2. The devs will have to improve a game with pretty much no feedback, it's very unlikely they will succeed.

You only need to see the changes made between BWE's and the correlation between the feedback given on the forums in previous events to see that that is not true.

Will that change in the next 8 years? Who knows. So far though, the feedback and Anet's handling of it seem to be bang on.

Even if Anet messed everything up fanboys would still say it's "bang on". That's because most haven't  really played GW2 but just a demo of it. At release you will see more and more flaws every day, and then you may start giving them real feedback and they can start fixing the game, but then it may be too late (see D3).

(btw by you I mean "the fanboys")

Had to edit those two points first. Just so it's clear that you aren't specifically talking about me. :)

Have to say though, you are quite the pessimist. :p The beta's have been very successful at addressing core issues and the criticisms recieved after each beta have actually been covered quite well. Difficulty, frame rate, spawn rates, guild management, wvw, class balance, etc. These are just some of the things I have seen people give feedback on, all legitimate and all thus far addressed.

You appear to be assuming (at least giving the impression that you believe so) that every single person who plays GW2 and gives feedback will be a diehard fanboy who will have nothing but good things to say. This is simply never the case in any game.

Anet appear to be smart enough to tell a good piece of feedback from the bad thus far so I can't believe as you do that they will be developing this game by themselves. Their desire to be part of the community and actually talk to their testers is contradictory to that belief.

I understand how I may seem pessimistic at times. I pretty much only comment on things I dislike about the game. There are many things that I love: dynamic events, jumping puzzles, rewarding exploration, underwater combat, pretty much the whole PvE-side except of hearts. But I'm a PvPer and in theory GW2 seemed like a true successor to DAoC... until i played it and all my hopes were crushed.

Originally posted by Lucioon

I'm more of a pessimist than optimist. Yes. And I'm not talking about whining about design decisions. The game won't focus on end game gear grinding through raids? Fine. That's a design decision. 

An example of the flaw I mean is player retention. The game will by design have lower retention/player activity than games that FORCE you to play/grind in order to keep up with the power progression of everyone else. Now that's a design decision. Don't play unless you're having fine. Take a break and come back in a month and have fun again. But the game also has servers and both pve and wvw is designed to work best when there's a minimum population playing. This doesn't really add up. In my opinion a system to continually manage server pops need to be in place for the game to work smoothly over time.

But this thread wasn't created to discuss the various flaws of GW2. So I'm leaving the above at that.

I am really tired of posters whom just plainly assume that GW2 doesn't have retention rates just because its not like other MMO out there.

What makes you think there is no Retention rate, League of Legends is also an B2P game, and its always populated with thousands of players. You can't log in and not find a match going on. I know its a bad example seeing that LOL isn't an MMO.

But still , with all the previous MMO released, its actually very apparent that the original formula of an MMO is the ones that can't keep their player bases. Very different result compared to your assumption.

SWTOR kept me for 2 months, and just by playing BWE of GW2, I know it will keep me for more that 2 month. And thats actual playing experience of GW2.

So did I just prove that GW2 will keep me as a player longer than SWTOR. I guess I just did.

Yeah, I've watched my son play the various forms of Halo over the years and it's amazing to see how many people are playing those games (multiplayer) at any given time of the day. There some stats about the number of players in the game somewhere on the lobby screen. I WANT to hang out in Tyria for a long time (I did so in Middle Earth for 2.5 years) but will I? I have no idea but I look forward to finding out!

My bad.  Double post.
  • Originally posted by Svarcanum

One of the things I'm most looking forward to when GW2 launches is the official forums.  Sites like this where it's not devoted to any specific game will attract people from one extreme to the other.  Just take it with a grain of salt.  If it really bothers you, I'd move to a forum that's more about actual game play, like guildwars2guru.

• EvelknievelEvelknievel Member UncommonPosts: 2,964

@ OP

Unfortunately you gotta take a chance when buying any game and hopefully you get your moneys worth.

MMO's aren't 110% perfect a launch, so you gotta take the good with the bad and that means the community as well.

However don't let the fans hype over sell you and then again don't let the ones that are discouraged drive you away.

I believe any game is worth a shot and you alone can criticize the game if it's fun for you or not.

I am still skeptical at this point when it comes to GW2 since it's another fantasy mmo and what it will brings to the table.

As the fans state, at least their is no monthly commitment, just the box price.

• rdrakkenrdrakken Member Posts: 426

Or it was given in show of support for the others taking part in the converstaion it to see. :)

Okay...my bad.  Triple post.  Need some coffee I guess.
  • k-damagek-damage Member CommonPosts: 738

I get the logic of the OP :

in fact he should only be interested in bad products, so they won't draw other people except him to be excited. And then his mind will be at peace.

Ok, ok.

***** Before hitting that reply button, please READ the WHOLE thread you're about to post in *****

• RoybeRoybe Member UncommonPosts: 420
    A pessimist sees a glass as half empty, an optimist half full.  A realist sees a glass of pee and refuses to drink it.
  • azmundaiazmundai Member UncommonPosts: 1,419

Originally posted by Roybe
    A pessimist sees a glass as half empty, an optimist half full.  A realist sees a glass of pee and refuses to drink it.

lol i wouldnt call it pee =P

but it's not the holy grail either.

LFD tools are great for cramming people into content, but quality > quantity.
    I am, usually on the sandbox .. more "hardcore" side of things, but I also do just want to have fun. So lighten up already :)

completely agree. this is shaping up to be one of the worst communities I have ever seen.
    And here is another response that is nothing more than a hateful generalization toward an entire group of people.  You sir/ma'am are another poster who simply jumps on the bandwagon of a negative GW2 thread.  I have seen you do so more than once, though below you will find one specific example if you need it.  Wow only two days ago!

its called fotm.

new game comes out, and the hype that people frenzy themselves into leaves them blind to anything that their new flagship doesnt champion. This message was edited on 8/16/12 at 3:49:32 PMOn topic: The GW community on MY server in the BWEs were wonderful!  I was rezzed by strangers (cursed jumping puzzles!) countless times!  

here's a thought.

if you don't want people making generalist statements about your posts, try not posting the same inane drivel, or supporting the same inane drivel that has been posted about every single game that has been slated for release in the past 7+ years.

not to mention, I have pre-ordered, and talked many friends into pre-ordering, and intend to play the game for a year or more because it is a good game.

Just because I dont agree with you that it is the second coming of christ, doesn't make me a hater.

Whoa now.  Where was I agreeing with anyone in my response?  I was addressing YOUR short reply and disagreeing with the fact that you put down an entire group of people.  I was not posting nor supporting any drivel.  I was making my OWN statement not parroting another.

AWESOME!  I am sure you will have a blast as I hope to.

Again, whoa!  Check my small number of posts.  I have NEVER stated this.  I am not sure who you were responding to with that.  You think this community will be one of the worst you've ever seen.  What does THAT have to do with the cliched "second coming of Christ" statement that I have only EVER seen either through satirical threads/posts or from people who use it as an excuse to attack a wide swathe of inidividuals?  I have not seen any members of this community make such a statement in a realistic manner.  And I did not call you hater.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by rdrakken

Or it was given in show of support for the others taking part in the converstaion it to see. :)

i see thought you were directing the comments at me that's only reason I said that:)

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

Originally posted by LytheEmber

So you agree with that statement?  Really?  Tell me you're not.  That's who I was responding to.  Or do you agree with the original post?  I very much agree with the last part of his post.  Peace and love and all that!  We need more of that to be sure...

And my point?  My point was to address a SPECIFIC poster, which I did, and how he/she has made similar replies that were short, lacking of substance and simply mirrored the negative tilt of an original post without adding anything to the discussion.  I gave an example of such.  I did NOT generalize that all people who agree with negative threads towards GW2 were automatically wrong.  Some do make valid points.  Again I was addressing ONE poster and I made such very clear.

Or was my statement about the community on my server being wonderful a generalization?  Perhaps it is, but it was NOT an attack on a group of people and I gave a specific example (rezzing) that MANY players have witnessed to back that statement up.

I am glad I amused you.  I've got a pretty good sense of humor.

You refer to him as being a bandwagoneer and can't see how you're generalizing. Seriously? Really no point in discusing anything further if you can't even see that.

• BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380

The wow forums are that way -——>

• EvelknievelEvelknievel Member UncommonPosts: 2,964

As a realist gotta wonder why someone pee'd in the glass in the first place image

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

Even though the marketing department tells you "It's rain water from the from the rocky mountains"

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
This discussion has been closed.