Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Rabid Fanboyism

Comments

• JagaridJagarid Member UncommonPosts: 415
    Originally posted by lotaparty

Excitement should not get you blind . thats what happened to swtor fanbois .

I wasn't among that crowd, but I would posit the question, What was so bad about what happened?

They spent however many weeks (or months) being excited about the game and then however many more weeks (or months) enjoying it, before whatever reality set in for some of them and they stopped playing.

Do you really think that NOT being excited and optimistic would have caused them to keep playing later?   I don't.

And for some of them, I imagine they are STILL playing and loving the game.  Would being less optimistic and excited earlier made the game better for them?

Personally, the only impact  that optimism has down the road when reality hits you in the face is that the level of disappointment can be greater.   You're still disapointed either way.   And the period of optimism and excitement is longer than that brief moment of disappointment before you move on.

I always see this argument as being the same as people who tell you not to fall in love, simply because it hurts when it ends.   That's just stupid.

• SvarcanumSvarcanum Member UncommonPosts: 425
    Originally posted by Pandamin
    Originally posted by Svarcanum But in between the BWEs things tend to devolve.

Ok then, so you do know that mostly the community is infact very critical.

Then why oh why do you feel the need to stink up this place with your extremely redundant OP?

An OP that does not even ask for any proper discussion.

But whatever, this isn't worth anyone's time or energy.

Enjoy the rest of your day and be well. :)

I wasn't coming down on the Guild Wars 2 community in general. Reread my OP. I come to mmorpg.com alot. I think this place needs to be cleaned up. That's why I wrote the OP. (I realize this might be flame bait, but it's not intended to be, honest. I just care about my back yard)

Originally posted by EvilGeek

I see far more examples of people moaning about this rabid fanboyism than I see examples of it, sure there are a few but they are a tiny minority. It seems that lately the hippest thing to do is to troll the game and its fans, we've seen loads of threads started by people whose motives are not about intelligent discussion and observation but simply trolling, often disguised but so easy to spot, "I'm a fan of GW2 but..." being the latest call to arms (not accusing the OP of this at all).

Both sides of the fence are as bad as each other imo, I keep my posts to the minimum these days as most threads regarding GW2 either get derailed or are simply troll bait, they aren't worth contributing to.

OP why would you let a few misguided posters affect the way you feel about a game ? We'd never play anything if we allowed ourselves to believe that the games population will reflect the vocal minorities on forums like these.

I shouldn't it affect me, I realize. Sadly it very much does. It's my inner hipster (damn him!).

• seridanseridan Member UncommonPosts: 1,202
    Originally posted by Svarcanum
    Originally posted by seridan

I've been looking forward to Guild Wars 2 for a very long time. I prepurchased as soon as I had the option. And I've been clearing my schedual in anticipation for the upcoming launch. But all the uncritical fanboys on forums such as these are really starting to discourage me. I can see a number of flaws in Guild Wars 2, I can't see how people refuse to acknowledge them. The only way for ANet to actually improve their game is for them NOT to think they just improved on sliced bread and can sit back and relax. Every fanboy post I read makes me looking forward to the launch less and less. *sad face*

You love GW2, I love GW2, but please let's not be blind to its faults and issues and instead encourage open discussions so that the game makes room for improvement. Overandout.

And you made this post for what reason exactly? Any examples of those "fanboy posts" or of the game's faults?

I guess, it's safe to say: pics or it didn't happen

What? I just wrote the reason? If the majority of the fan base yells "Everything is perfect! Don't change a thing!" the game will not ever improve (unless the devs actually ignore the fan base of course).

I wonder who is saying that the game is perfect.... That's not "reason" and still what's the use of this thread? You could post your "reasoning" as to what is not perfect in the game instead of making a post like this which serves no purpose.

Read the thread before posting maybe?

Instead of generalizing and making a useless thread you could easily post a thread about the game's faults so we could discuss them, or post on one of the numerous threads around here with critical discussions. Instead you generalize and say that "people don't see any flaws" with little to no basis. And even so, what do you expect to gain by making this thread? How are you helping the game by criticizing the "fanboys"? You aren't helping the game, the community or anyone else. Make some "flaw" posts around here and there will be a constructive conversation, like what happened numerous times on the beta forums about various issues, if you haven't noticed the game changed a lot, even between BWEs and between stress tests, how did it change so much if everyone says "it's perfect"? Well, obviously there are lots of people who find faults in the game, report them and have discussions about them.

Block the trolls, don't answer them, so we can remove the garbage from these forums

• majimaji Member UncommonPosts: 2,091

I agree.

I had a somewhat positive stance towards GW2 at first. I considered purchasing it some time after release, if I like how it went. But... just look at the WoW MOP trailer. You can't deny it's very well done. Yet, no matter on what forum the trailer pops up, thousands of GW2 fans swarm out and bash it in completly idiotic ways. Why can't they enjoy their game without trying to troll other people? If they behave this way before GW2 is released, then they won't show any better behaviour in the game, towards other GW2 players.

No matter what the fans say: GW2 is not perfect. And it will not destroy all other MMORPGs. And GW2 fans don't smell of lavender and roses when they take a crap. The game ain't even released yet. Get real. Or if you want to swim with the hype: at least try to do it without trolling and bashing.

Let's play Fallen Earth (blind, 300 episodes)

Let's play Guild Wars 2 (blind, 45 episodes)

I've been looking forward to Guild Wars 2 for a very long time. I prepurchased as soon as I had the option. And I've been clearing my schedual in anticipation for the upcoming launch. But all the uncritical fanboys on forums such as these are really starting to discourage me. I can see a number of flaws in Guild Wars 2, I can't see how people refuse to acknowledge them. The only way for ANet to actually improve their game is for them NOT to think they just improved on sliced bread and can sit back and relax. Every fanboy post I read makes me looking forward to the launch less and less. *sad face*

You love GW2, I love GW2, but please let's not be blind to its faults and issues and instead encourage open discussions so that the game makes room for improvement. Overandout.

And you made this post for what reason exactly? Any examples of those "fanboy posts" or of the game's faults?

I guess, it's safe to say: pics or it didn't happen

What? I just wrote the reason? If the majority of the fan base yells "Everything is perfect! Don't change a thing!" the game will not ever improve (unless the devs actually ignore the fan base of course).

I wonder who is saying that the game is perfect.... That's not "reason" and still what's the use of this thread? You could post your "reasoning" as to what is not perfect in the game instead of making a post like this which serves no purpose.

Read the thread before posting maybe?

Instead of generalizing and making a useless thread you could easily post a thread about the game's faults so we could discuss them, or post on one of the numerous threads around here with critical discussions. Instead you generalize and say that "people don't see any flaws" with little to no basis. And even so, what do you expect to gain by making this thread? How are you helping the game by criticizing the "fanboys"? You aren't helping the game, the community or anyone else. Make some "flaw" posts around here and there will be a constructive conversation, like what happened numerous times on the beta forums about various issues, if you haven't noticed the game changed a lot, even between BWEs and between stress tests, how did it change so much if everyone says "it's perfect"? Well, obviously there are lots of people who find faults in the game, report them and have discussions about them.

Didn't read the thread, did you?

• VoiidiinVoiidiin Member Posts: 817
    The reaction of GW2 fans is a direct reaction from the incessant trolling.

Lolipops !

• CromicaCromica Member UncommonPosts: 657
    Originally posted by maji

I agree.I had a somewhat positive stance towards GW2 at first. I considered purchasing it some time after release, if I like how it went. But... just look at the WoW MOP trailer. You can't deny it's very well done. Yet, no matter on what forum the trailer pops up, thousands of GW2 fans swarm out and bash it in completly idiotic ways. Why can't they enjoy their game without trying to troll other people? If they behave this way before GW2 is released, then they won't show any better behaviour in the game, towards other GW2 players.
    the mop trailer was great, the game however is another story

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,990

I agree.

I had a somewhat positive stance towards GW2 at first. I considered purchasing it some time after release, if I like how it went. But... just look at the WoW MOP trailer. You can't deny it's very well done. Yet, no matter on what forum the trailer pops up, thousands of GW2 fans swarm out and bash it in completly idiotic ways. Why can't they enjoy their game without trying to troll other people? If they behave this way before GW2 is released, then they won't show any better behaviour in the game, towards other GW2 players.

True but I'm not going to let that stop me from enjoying the game. You can always find well grounded folks in these games regardless the fan base. I just ignore them in game and call out their bullshit on forums like these.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• sinloisinloi Member UncommonPosts: 201

The rabid fanboysism is primarily a response to the other end of the spectrum.

It gets old having 4 pots a day explaining in great detail why a game you love sucks.

So to compensate for vile being spewed daily the fanboys who would normally be expressing their excitment in the form of girly squeels such as "EEEEEEEE 7 more days!.......EEEEEEEE!" instead express the love for their game as testosterone laden jocks who resort to chimpanzee dominance gesturing "har har troll dont know da fuq yo!" sadly I suck at coming up with examples for that one hah.

to sum up.....this happens for all MMOS, games, consoles, presidents, football teams, celebrities, youtube videos....basically everything where opinion can come into play.

yes there are flaws but alot of the flaws we read about daily on this forum are not truely flaws but personal opinions treated as fact.

not sure whre I am going with this sooooo

It's all a matter of ignoring people and just saying, if I like teh game I'll like the game, if not I wont.

oh and......

"EEEEEEE I gets to play an asuran necromancer! I will dye his clothes pink and name him rainbow princess sorbet!"

Originally posted by sinloi

The rabid fanboysism is primarily a response to the other end of the spectrum.

It gets old having 4 pots a day explaining in great detail why a game you love sucks.

So to compensate for vile being spewed daily the fanboys who would normally be expressing their excitment in the form of girly squeels such as "EEEEEEEE 7 more days!.......EEEEEEEE!" instead express the love for their game as testosterone laden jocks who resort to chimpanzee dominance gesturing "har har troll dont know da fuq yo!" sadly I suck at coming up with examples for that one hah.

to sum up.....this happens for all MMOS, games, consoles, presidents, football teams, celebrities, youtube videos....basically everything where opinion can come into play.

Eh...we could argue the chicken and egg theory all day long. A lot of the haters are posters that are pissed from the times GW2 fanboys cluttered their game's forum trashing their game and going on about how GW2 was umpteen times better than their game. So they're trying to get their "revenge".

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001

I agree.

No matter what the fans say: GW2 is not perfect. And it will not destroy all other MMORPGs. And GW2 fans don't smell of lavender and roses when they take a crap. The game ain't even released yet. Get real. Or if you want to swim with the hype: at least try to do it without trolling and bashing.

You 'had' a 'positive stance' towards  GW2 (whatever thats meant to mean), but now because a couple people have attacked some cgi video somewhere that is unrelated to GW2 this  'stance' is in the past?  Thats a bit odd isnt it?

You do realise this mmorg represents a tiny majority of the gaming population dont you.  You perhaps need less paranoia and just pick games you enjoy, and not worry so much about the opinions in a gaming forum.  'Smelling of roses and crap' followed by you complaining about trolling and bashing...

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

Originally posted by Jormung

i know you mean this about the secret world but the situation pre-dates that and carries over from SWTOR. now it was equal parts blame back then, probably more leaning toward theTOR boys. look how many of the ex-swtor fans are the same ones leading the OMG GW2 fanboys! chare for TERA and TSW. and the rest will be back at it as soon as they find a good game to play besides GW2.

In all honesty, there were quite a few GW2 fanboys prancing around in SWTOR forums as well. I got a kick out of it though because as you said the SWTOR fanboys were equally unnerving so it was rather amusing to watch them butt heads over matters.

Actually, many of the ones on this site are now lighting the torch for GW2. Kind of interesting to see really.

• MahavishnuMahavishnu Member Posts: 336

Ok....

50% of all threads concerning GW2 are something like:

• GW2 is pay to win!
    • GW2 is bad, because there is no gearprogression!
    • GW2 is bad, because there is no open pvp!
    • GW2 is bad, because combat is slow and boring!
    • GW2 is bad, because it has no raids!
    • GW2 is bad, because WoW, TERA, TSW, etc.  is better!
    • GW2 is bad, because it is too themeparkish!
    • The dynamic events are boring grind.
    • GW2 has bad graphics!
    • GW2 is for casual noobs!
    • GW2 is not sandbox enough!
    And you call this "Fanboyism'? You just cite another typical complaint:
    • GW2 is bad, because there are too many who think it's good!

Advertising has us chasing cars and clothes, working jobs we hate so we can buy shit we don't need.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Yeah of course it have flaws, all games except Tetris have flaws but some people tunes them out.

It is the same thing with everything, I know loads of people saying that their favorite musician never done a bad song. Some people only decides to see half the coin.

But there is not really anything you can say or do to show a flaw in something someone loves in this way. Some will calm down a bit after launch while some never will see it or will blame a certain expansion for everything they later see as flaws in the game.

All humans have a few insanities but most of them like this and fear of snakes or spiders is pretty harmless.

• dzoni87dzoni87 Member Posts: 541

@OP, i wouldnt be worried if i were you...

If it was for WoW fans, i'd quit it after month of playing. I love to play UO too, still behaviour of some UO fans is beyond my reasoning.

Relax, every game have its Fanatics, Scumbags and normal people in between. You just need to find them.

Main MMO at the moment: Guild Wars 2
    Waiting for: Pathfinder Online

• HomituHomitu Member UncommonPosts: 2,030
    Originally posted by stragen001
    Originally posted by Homitu

I agree.

I am a HUGE fan of GW2, and I'm incredibly hyped for launch, but I'm under no illusion that its perfect. It is a very good game and will do well, and no doubt keep me entertained for quite a while to come, however its not everyones cup of tea, and its not perfect. 

Rabid Fanboyism really annoys me. People refusing to accept that there could possibly be anything wrong with the game is just rediculous.  And post like this really dont help....I mean, c'mon. 

Edit: Seridan(post below) - see the link above

If you can't see the satire by the OP in that thread, then I don't know what to tell you :p

Or This....

Both examples of people using sensational exaggeration on purpose in attempt to be funny.   

Maybe incorrect interpretation of sarcasm/satire/hyperbole is the source of the whole "omg why do so many GW2 fans treat this game like the 2nd coming of Christ!?" complaint.  Because I have yet to actually see anybody do that.  I've only seen spoofs like the links you provided that are direct parodies of such claims. 

• lilHealalilHeala Member UncommonPosts: 522

Another chicken/egg question that always pops into my head with these type of threads is do fans become fans because they see little to no flaws in the game and love it;   or do they not see the flaws in the game because they're fans?

A lot of those complaining about positive fans almost make it sound like it's a disease that infects your brain and has the effect of not being able to think objectively nor critically.

• Bl4ck3nDBl4ck3nD Member UncommonPosts: 114

The way I see it, people have been asking for some form of change in the industry for a while now, finally something comes along with a few different ideas or different versions of old ones, some people have taken it bit over the top (in both directions) the best thing for any person considering playing any game is to do their research, it's not hard and the internet has many different web sites to visit with so much information. Look at both sides of the argument, come to your own conlusion, you will be better off in the long run.

Those who blindly follow, might not see the gaping chasm.

I also do not understand why anyone would let a group of people dictate what they do, maybe I can think of a few reasons actually but none related to gaming.

• k-damagek-damage Member CommonPosts: 738

I'm truly amazed at those kind of people like the OP, where their intent to start their own adventure in a game can be discouraged (???) by some other people's excitement on a forum.

It's like someone who is hungry saying that he won't eat that menu because a lot of people around him were "yum-yum" about it.

Really sounds like some weird psychological issue or something.

Also, this, exactly :

Originally posted by Mahavishnu

Ok....

50% of all threads concerning GW2 are something like:

• GW2 is pay to win!
    • GW2 is bad, because there is no gearprogression!
    • GW2 is bad, because there is no open pvp!
    • GW2 is bad, because combat is slow and boring!
    • GW2 is bad, because it has no raids!
    • GW2 is bad, because WoW, TERA, TSW, etc.  is better!
    • GW2 is bad, because it is too themeparkish!
    • The dynamic events are boring grind.
    • GW2 has bad graphics!
    • GW2 is for casual noobs!
    • GW2 is not sandbox enough!

And you call this "Fanboyism'? You just cite another typical complaint:

• GW2 is bad, because there are too many who think it's good!

***** Before hitting that reply button, please READ the WHOLE thread you're about to post in *****

Originally posted by lilHeala

Another chicken/egg question that always pops into my head with these type of threads is do fans become fans because they see little to no flaws in the game and love it;   or do they not see the flaws in the game because they're fans?

A lot of those complaining about positive fans almost make it sound like it's a disease that infects your brain and has the effect of not being able to think objectively nor critically.

Big difference between a fan and fanboy. Least to me anyways. Not sure how others take it. Just because you're a fan of a game doesn't mean you aren't able to be critical about it.

• otinanai123otinanai123 Member Posts: 265

This is a new type of fanboy. I've never seen it before in any other game. It's some kind of mutated ex-blizz fanboy who turned to a blizz-hater who then turned to a gw2 fanboy.

I honestly have no idea how GW2 will turn out because you can't have any logical discussion about the game without fanboys shitting it up. I fear the downfall of GW2 will be its own fanbase.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • mearimeari Member Posts: 101

I agree.

I am a HUGE fan of GW2, and I'm incredibly hyped for launch, but I'm under no illusion that its perfect. It is a very good game and will do well, and no doubt keep me entertained for quite a while to come, however its not everyones cup of tea, and its not perfect. 

Rabid Fanboyism really annoys me. People refusing to accept that there could possibly be anything wrong with the game is just rediculous.  And post like this really dont help....I mean, c'mon. 

Edit: Seridan(post below) - see the link above

If you can't see the satire by the OP in that thread, then I don't know what to tell you :p

Or This....

Both examples of people using sensational exaggeration on purpose in attempt to be funny.   

Maybe incorrect interpretation of sarcasm/satire/hyperbole is the source of the whole "omg why do so many GW2 fans treat this game like the 2nd coming of Christ!?" complaint.  Because I have yet to actually see anybody do that.  I've only seen spoofs like the links you provided that are direct parodies of such claims. 

To be fair, maybe people who don't read the forum often won't know the "People say it's the coming of Jesus" line that get thrown all the time from those who come here to bash GW2, and subsequent fail to realize the satire.

• lilHealalilHeala Member UncommonPosts: 522
    Originally posted by Wickedjelly
    Originally posted by lilHeala

Big difference between a fan and fanboy. Least to me anyways. Not sure how others take it. Just because you're a fan of a game doesn't mean you aren't able to be critical about it.

Yeah the terminology is confusing, that's why I try to avoid labels like fanboy and haters because there's no well described commonly accepted definition for those anyways when I see how they're used all across the web. Fanboi, fangal, fanman all have 1 thing in common, the first 3 letters that actually do have a widely accepted definition so I prefer to use that one and if I like to discuss specific behaviour of those fans, I try to describe it instead of using an unclear label.

This discussion has been closed.