Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Rabid Fanboyism

SvarcanumSvarcanum Member UncommonPosts: 425

I've been looking forward to Guild Wars 2 for a very long time. I prepurchased as soon as I had the option. And I've been clearing my schedual in anticipation for the upcoming launch. But all the uncritical fanboys on forums such as these are really starting to discourage me. I can see a number of flaws in Guild Wars 2, I can't see how people refuse to acknowledge them. The only way for ANet to actually improve their game is for them NOT to think they just improved on sliced bread and can sit back and relax. Every fanboy post I read makes me looking forward to the launch less and less. *sad face*

You love GW2, I love GW2, but please let's not be blind to its faults and issues and instead encourage open discussions so that the game makes room for improvement. Overandout.

Comments

• CromicaCromica Member UncommonPosts: 657

The only fault I came up with was that it was overheating my graphics card, but after looking into it it was my cards fault for not increasing the fan speed while under load.

Oh yea and that its not out yet.

• JagaridJagarid Member UncommonPosts: 415

It's a glass half-full vs. glass half-empty thing.  

I"m sure a lot of the "rabid fanboys" you refer to do see that the game is not perfect, but they are excited for the game and are focusing their energy on what is good about it and don't really want to focus on any (what they consider) minor flaws.   

Despite the fact that some people claim they are "realists",  most are actually either a pessimist or an optimist and that over-arching fact colors how they approach pretty much everything. 

Obviously you aren't fond of optimists, but stating your displeasure with the mind set is not going change such a fundamental aspect of people's personality....

It doesn't help that history has taught us that a vocal community grousing about "flaws" in MMOs sometimes leads to sweeping changes to the game that don't, in fact, make the game "better".   People that are very happy with GW2 are definitely going to be resistant to any discussion where the point of contention may have the appearance of wanting to make the game stray from the path it currently is on.

• TorgrimTorgrim Member CommonPosts: 2,088
    I can see a number of flaws in Guild Wars 2, I can't see how people refuse to acknowledge them.

Such as?

If it's not broken, you are not innovating.

• MaggonMaggon Member UncommonPosts: 360
    Originally posted by Jagarid

I"m sure a lot of the "rabid fanboys" you refer to do see that the game is not perfect, but they are excited for the game and are focusing their energy on what is good about it and don't really want to focus on any (what they consider) minor flaws.   

Despite the fact that some people claim they are "realists",  most are actually either a pessimist or an optimist and that over-arching fact colors how they approach pretty much everything. 

Obviously you aren't fond of optimists, but stating your displeasure with the mind set is not going change such a fundamental aspect of people's personality....

It doesn't help that history has taught us that a vocal community grousing about "flaws" in MMOs sometimes leads to sweeping changes to the game that don't, in fact, make the game "better".   People that are very happy with GW2 are definitely going to be resistant to any discussion where the point of contention may have the appearance of wanting to make the game stray from the path it currently is on.

This was pretty much what my response was going to be, so i'll just quote :)

• alkrmralkrmr Member UncommonPosts: 236

people get excitied for things that they are interested in and that's not a problem, but telling people to be so apathetic is.

http://www.hulu.com/watch/68225

• SabasSabas Member UncommonPosts: 217
    Originally posted by Svarcanum

But all the uncritical fanboys on forums such as these are really starting to discourage me.

I'm getting very tired of this.

Cite examples and quotes because honestly you just sound like someone trying to get in on the "IN" thing.

Neither is your thread or post useful in any way.

In fact you are no better or perhaps even worse then the people you are trying to critique.

• KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072

I've been looking forward to Guild Wars 2 for a very long time. I prepurchased as soon as I had the option. And I've been clearing my schedual in anticipation for the upcoming launch. But all the uncritical fanboys on forums such as these are really starting to discourage me. I can see a number of flaws in Guild Wars 2, I can't see how people refuse to acknowledge them. The only way for ANet to actually improve their game is for them NOT to think they just improved on sliced bread and can sit back and relax. Every fanboy post I read makes me looking forward to the launch less and less. *sad face*

You love GW2, I love GW2, but please let's not be blind to its faults and issues and instead encourage open discussions so that the game makes room for improvement. Overandout.

I know what you are saying, it's very hard trying to discuss anything related to the game unless it is a high praise. I dont think that's healthy in a long run, but I also dont think that all the over positive fans keep that way forever, they will grow past the hype after the game is launched and will become more critical towards the future. At least I hope so, for the sake of the game.

Anyway, this was a problem for me somewhat, but right now I dont really care, getting hyped more and more my self just before the launch, desperately trying to think of a profession to play and I really dont care about anything else before and over the launch now :)

• mearimeari Member Posts: 101

Please give examples?

You have to keep in mind that the GW2 subforum is plagued by few who are notoriusly just baiting and spreading misinformation, we know who they are and we know what their agenda is. I think it's fair that people won't respond to their post the same way they would with someone who is genuinely new and asking questions.

• HomituHomitu Member UncommonPosts: 2,030

I'll never quite understand how people let other people's opinions of something radically affect their own opinions of that same something.  Do you like this game or do you not?  

I've never played a game that is without its fair share of haters and fanboys.  And the fact is, it's the same 20 million people or so who play all MMOs.  

• stragen001stragen001 Member UncommonPosts: 1,720

I agree.

I am a HUGE fan of GW2, and I'm incredibly hyped for launch, but I'm under no illusion that its perfect. It is a very good game and will do well, and no doubt keep me entertained for quite a while to come, however its not everyones cup of tea, and its not perfect. 

Rabid Fanboyism really annoys me. People refusing to accept that there could possibly be anything wrong with the game is just rediculous.  And post like this really dont help....I mean, c'mon. 

Edit: Seridan(post below) - see the link above

Cluck Cluck, Gibber Gibber, My Old Mans A Mushroom

• seridanseridan Member UncommonPosts: 1,202

And you made this post for what reason exactly? Any examples of those "fanboy posts" or of the game's faults?

I guess, it's safe to say: pics or it didn't happen

Block the trolls, don't answer them, so we can remove the garbage from these forums

• SvarcanumSvarcanum Member UncommonPosts: 425

I'm more of a pessimist than optimist. Yes. And I'm not talking about whining about design decisions. The game won't focus on end game gear grinding through raids? Fine. That's a design decision. 

An example of the flaw I mean is player retention. The game will by design have lower retention/player activity than games that FORCE you to play/grind in order to keep up with the power progression of everyone else. Now that's a design decision. Don't play unless you're having fine. Take a break and come back in a month and have fun again. But the game also has servers and both pve and wvw is designed to work best when there's a minimum population playing. This doesn't really add up. In my opinion a system to continually manage server pops need to be in place for the game to work smoothly over time.

But this thread wasn't created to discuss the various flaws of GW2. So I'm leaving the above at that.

Originally posted by stragen001

Rabid Fanboyism really annoys me. People refusing to accept that there could possibly be anything wrong with a game. And post like this really dont help....I mean, c'mon. 

Given all the other crap we see posted here, is it hard to spot the sarcasme and humor in that OP?

I'm notorious for having no sense of humor, yet even I understood that the post was meant as a joke.

Originally posted by seridan

And you made this post for what reason exactly? Any examples of those "fanboy posts" or of the game's faults?

What? I just wrote the reason? If the majority of the fan base yells "Everything is perfect! Don't change a thing!" the game will not ever improve (unless the devs actually ignore the fan base of course).

• seridanseridan Member UncommonPosts: 1,202

What? I just wrote the reason? If the majority of the fan base yells "Everything is perfect! Don't change a thing!" the game will not ever improve (unless the devs actually ignore the fan base of course).

I wonder who is saying that the game is perfect.... That's not "reason" and still what's the use of this thread? You could post your "reasoning" as to what is not perfect in the game instead of making a post like this which serves no purpose.

Block the trolls, don't answer them, so we can remove the garbage from these forums

• HomituHomitu Member UncommonPosts: 2,030

I agree.

I am a HUGE fan of GW2, and I'm incredibly hyped for launch, but I'm under no illusion that its perfect. It is a very good game and will do well, and no doubt keep me entertained for quite a while to come, however its not everyones cup of tea, and its not perfect. 

Rabid Fanboyism really annoys me. People refusing to accept that there could possibly be anything wrong with the game is just rediculous.  And post like this really dont help....I mean, c'mon. 

If you can't see the satire by the OP in that thread, then I don't know what to tell you :p

• mearimeari Member Posts: 101

I don't people here think or would call GW2 perfect, please link an example of someone saying that please?

See this is where I think you are full of it.

People who are actually part of the GW2 community know its the other way around.

Ever since the announcement in 2007 the community has been very vocal about all the good things and the bad things.

A  big example is the potion or no potion debate we had for months, the GW2 community has never indulged in blind faith.

You should know this if you had payed attention.

I wonder who is saying that the game is perfect.... That's not "reason" and still what's the use of this thread? You could post your "reasoning" as to what is not perfect in the game instead of making a post like this which serves no purpose.

Read the thread before posting maybe?

• stragen001stragen001 Member UncommonPosts: 1,720
    Originally posted by Homitu

I agree.

If you can't see the satire by the OP in that thread, then I don't know what to tell you :p

Or This....

Cluck Cluck, Gibber Gibber, My Old Mans A Mushroom

Originally posted by Pandamin

See this is where I think you are full of it.

People who are actually part of the GW2 community know its the other way around.

Ever since the announcement in 2007 the community has been very vocal about all the good things and the bad things.

A  big example is the potion or no potion debate we had for months, the GW2 community has never indulged in blind faith.

You should know this if you had payed attention.

The community has been very critical on the guild wars 2 forums during betas. I know this. I'm not criticizing the serious testers. Many of them are doing a good job. Some posts on the official forums are even too critical for me:) But in between the BWEs things tend to devolve.

Originally posted by Svarcanum But in between the BWEs things tend to devolve.

Ok then, so you do know that mostly the community is infact very critical.

Then why oh why do you feel the need to stink up this place with your extremely redundant OP?

An OP that does not even ask for any proper discussion.

But whatever, this isn't worth anyone's time or energy.

Enjoy the rest of your day and be well. :)

• lotapartylotaparty Member Posts: 514
    Originally posted by Jagarid

excitement should not get you blind . thats what happened to swtor fanbois .

• dageezadageeza Member Posts: 578

Yeah players getting super excited about owning and playing one of the best games ever made is just terribad..

So instead all rabid fanbois should concentrate and focus on critiquing the games generally non game breaking vanilla flaws that anet has been and will continue to address until they are all gone..

Afterall that funny little graphical glitch i ocassionally get when moving in high traffic fights, dodging and jumping at the same time is a much more important issue to discuss in a game forum than the unbelievable amount of fun and immersion i have had playing this game..(sigh)

I dont mind discussing glitches, bugs and issues that GW2 has but since i know its a vanilla release and anet will take care of them i would rather talk about sPvP, WvW, crafting, meta events and the fun of exploring this awesome game..

Playing GW2..

• EvilGeekEvilGeek Member UncommonPosts: 1,258

I see far more examples of people moaning about this rabid fanboyism than I see examples of it, sure there are a few but they are a tiny minority. It seems that lately the hippest thing to do is to troll the game and its fans, we've seen loads of threads started by people whose motives are not about intelligent discussion and observation but simply trolling, often disguised but so easy to spot, "I'm a fan of GW2 but..." being the latest call to arms (not accusing the OP of this at all).

Both sides of the fence are as bad as each other imo, I keep my posts to the minimum these days as most threads regarding GW2 either get derailed or are simply troll bait, they aren't worth contributing to.

OP why would you let a few misguided posters affect the way you feel about a game ? We'd never play anything if we allowed ourselves to believe that the games population will reflect the vocal minorities on forums like these.

This discussion has been closed.