Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Unfortunately Investors Will Be Disappointed

Comments

• ComfyChairComfyChair Member Posts: 758

WoW clones suck!

Y U NO HAVE RAIDZ GW2?

Herp, derp, herpety derp. Herp herp buuurrrrrr.

• OldManFunkOldManFunk Member Posts: 894
    Originally posted by laokoko

The truth is NCsoft won't make that much money.  Since after all, Guild Wars 2 is B2P.  Unless they can rack alot of money from cashshop.

When I complain about the cash shop, I was mocked by a bunch of people.  They keep telling me about how GW2 is big budget and they really dont' make much money blah blah.

$10 per character slot... $8?? per bag... GW2 is going places whether you like it or not. The game can be played on the cheap at $60 per copy or upgraded through the cash shop as players desire. The sales numbers are impressive but the cash shop figures will drive this game home.

• SvarcanumSvarcanum Member UncommonPosts: 425
    Let's hype GW2 so much that EVERYONE will be disappointed when it releases. Let's!
  • RaxeonRaxeon Member UncommonPosts: 2,283
    Originally posted by Gurpslord
    Originally posted by gieger808

I love all this GW2 hype.

Makes the disappointment they will have hurt that much more.

I'm telling you now, it will last a month. No meaningful progression=boredom.

Oh, people will play from time to time. Heck, it's free. But everyone will be looking for the next thing all too soon. The game is just too shallow.

well, your prediction is just about as baseless and dumb as the OP's.  You two should hang out.

and anet will be addign more things to do throw otut he whole game and end game i bet

• SouldrainerSouldrainer Member Posts: 1,857
    Originally posted by Svarcanum

Let's hype GW2 so much that EVERYONE will be disappointed when it releases. Let's!

Apparently you are a genius, because both your time machine and your mind control machine are working perfectly!

Error: 37. Signature not found. Please connect to my server for signature access.

• RavenRaven Member UncommonPosts: 2,005
    Originally posted by fiontar

Oh, people will play from time to time. Heck, it's free. But everyone will be looking for the next thing all too soon. The game is just too shallow.

I've already managed close to 150 hours of playtest time between all events, on characters I knew would be wiped. It's the most fun ~150 hours I've spent playing an MMO and I still have large sections of the content that was available in the events that I never touched and the more than 50% of the game we didn't have access to to look forward to.

The state of the genre has been so bad in recent years that I've lowered my expectations to the point that if I get 50 hours of play time for the box price, that's left me feeling I at least got my money's worth.

I think retention for this game will be very high. This is not a "month and out" sort of game. The lack of sub fee will help people who need more than a month to adjust to the new paradigm time to work the old MMO habits out of their system, with out the pressures of justifying an additional, ongoing cash investment.

It's nice to have an MMO that you'd actually want to play for more than a month or two. Based on my extensive beta experience, I fully expect to get well over 1,000 hours of play time from the content that ships with the game at launch.

BTW, there is progression in the game, just no artificial, never ending, ever escalating end game gear grind progression. I think the average /played to get a character to the cap and outfit them with max stat gear will be ~135 hours. Even if someone stopped at that point because they couldn't understand that gear progression isn't important for enjoying the game, they'd still get more from the game than most MMOs offer.

IMO, most people who make it to the level cap will, by that point "get the game" and wonder why they ever thought end game gear grinds were fun.

There are people who have played Perfect World for thousands of hours, and that is the most fun they had in any MMO, its your opinion, while its nice to argue your own opinion, all MMOs have people who play it religiously and have played it religiously since release.

That doesnt mean that that same game can't be disappointing for most people that they would just stop playing. Hell I bet there are people still having lots of fun in SWTOR even after the whole debacle. 

This is not to say that you are not gonna have a lot of fun with GW2, I know I will, but your own experience doesnt neccessarily translate to general opinion of the player base. What I am essentially saying is because you didnt like other games and this one provided you with lots of hours of entertainment it doesnt mean it has more entertainment value than other games where other people have had lots of hours of fun.

So yeah all in all I dont agree with doom and gloom predictions or otherwise, "this will be the best thing since sliced bread" cause there is nothing to go by other than personal opinion and wishful thinking on both scenarios depending on your own agenda.

• TardcoreTardcore Member Posts: 2,325
    Originally posted by OldManFunk
    Unfortunately investors will be disappointed that they didn't invest more money into NCSoft stock as signs are pointing toward GW2 passing 2 Million and possibly reaching 3 Million copies sold within the first week of its release.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/yeacs/to_anyone_who_has_ordered_from_gw2com_in_the_last/

In 50 years from now people will ask where you were on August 25, 2012 when the World... of Warcraft ended, christ descended from the clouds in the form of a red dragon and gamers rejoiced at finally having a decent game to play.

"Gypsies, tramps, and thieves, we were called by the Admin of the site . . . "

• suu141suu141 Member Posts: 249

If anything, investors will be betting thier money on Blade & Soul before it hits China.

Question is: If and when NCsoft purchases EA for whatever stupid reason, will the shit hit the fan?

"When you're born you're naked, when you die you're naked again, and in-between all we do is work, eat, and play MMOs." ~Forum Warrior #141

• SabasSabas Member UncommonPosts: 217
    Originally posted by cronius77
     when they actually release sales and pre sales trust me and thats all im saying but you will eat your words here watch and see.

Agh,  a lot of the "hate" are just people/kids who are hating on the cool thing.

Because thats what rebels do it makes them look smart without actually having to think for yourself.

Seriously almost every MMO veteran agrees on the qaulity of GW2, that should tell them something.

• ipekaipeka Member Posts: 222
    is this what those mayans predicted about the end of the world??
  • DOGMA1138DOGMA1138 Member UncommonPosts: 476
    Originally posted by suu141

If anything, investors will be betting thier money on Blade & Soul before it hits China.

Question is: If and when NCsoft purchases EA for whatever stupid reason, will the shit hit the fan?

Considering that NCSoft is valued under 150M US, and that it has less than 10M US in liquid equities then the shit needs to hit the fan way before NCSoft could buy EA, or the felafel stand down the street for that matter...

NCSoft has no money, its current market cap is only about 40M US in stocks, and if it would not have bought ANet when it did you would've probably seen an EA logo stamped all over that game. They got ANet when they were a very small studio(they still are), they got some box sales and an engine to use in their asian mmo sweatshops.

ANet might be a good studio, but NCSoft is the pinnalce of everything which is wrong with MMO's today, they are the gameloft of MMO's nothing more than a cheap sweatshop for games aimed at the asian market.

• QSatuQSatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,796
    Isn't this order number unreliable? I think GW2 already sold 1kk copies but we can't base those numbers on order number.
  • Vore_TechzVore_Techz Member Posts: 122
    I wouldn't invest in NCSoft. Not with their track record. I would invest in Arenanet though.

(>^_^)> MMO Veteran <(^_^<)
    Currently Playing: Tera Online

• DOGMA1138DOGMA1138 Member UncommonPosts: 476
    Originally posted by Vore_Techz
    I wouldn't invest in NCSoft. Not with their track record. I would invest in Arenanet though.

There is no such thing as ArenaNet :) They are 110% owned by NCSoft.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by snapfusion
    You forgot the part about suggesting parts of the bible will now have to be rewritten............

Not really, but they might possible add a new chapter or 2.

You kinda makes it sound like the bible is a single book written by a single author, it is a collection of scriptures written during over 500 years and what is included and not have changed during the years by popes and other heads of churches.

The thing with GW2 however is that putting that much money into NC Soft stocks is risky even if GW2 would become the next Wow (what an horrible thought, I would prefer a million constant players that wont cry nerf all the time as Wows players seems so happy to do) it still wont bring in the sums Wow did.

GW2 will sell boxes, expansions and some cashshop stuff, but all that wont be near what Wow raked in at it's top just in monthly subs. I think NC Soft will make a good sum on this game, but not a Wow like sum. No game will make that sum, at least not until the first large virtual reality MMO comes out 15 years from now or so.

NC soft also have other problems, AION is still losing players and if the new Lineage game would flop the stocks would drop no matter what GW2 make. 

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534
    Originally posted by OldManFunk
    Unfortunately investors will be disappointed that they didn't invest more money into NCSoft stock as signs are pointing toward GW2 passing 2 Million and possibly reaching 3 Million copies sold within the first week of its release.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/yeacs/to_anyone_who_has_ordered_from_gw2com_in_the_last/

In 50 years from now people will ask where you were on August 25, 2012 when the World... of Warcraft ended, christ descended from the clouds in the form of a red dragon and gamers rejoiced at finally having a decent game to play.

now where did i hear that before? uh right, during the last 5 years every time an mmo was released.

wow has no natural enemy. but hey, you can still hope :)

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by Thane

now where did i hear that before? uh right, during the last 5 years every time an mmo was released.

wow has no natural enemy. but hey, you can still hope :)

Of course it have, but Wows worst enemy is probably Wow itself.

GW2 is actually the second real threat Wow have gotten since release after LOTRO. LOTRO and GW2 differs a lot from all other games releasing after Wow,those 2 games are polished and have good programmers. I mean even TOR and Rift have nowhere near the polish of those 3 games and most of the games people have been hyped about have been more bug ridden than the temple of Doom.

LOTRO did never make a big threat to Wow since it released too close to Wow with not enough difference between the 2 games to attract Wows players.

GW2 releases at just the right time when Wow finally is bleeding players and it is for once a well made game. It wont be the next Wow, there wont be a next Wow at all, not even Wow2. When Wow released most people never heard of MMOs so it could take a huge chunk of people without any competition at all. This might happen for consoles and maybe for PC onces virtual reality MMOs becomes a reality but not before that.

But GW2 will be big, really big.

• BigAndShinyBigAndShiny Member Posts: 176

I'd like to tell you a story.  

I was 19 levels into a fantastic game.  The first levels had been set on an island.  The voice acting drew you into the story, the gameplay was familiar yet added some action into the formula, allowing you to choose from which direction to attack.   The world was absolutely beautiful, and on my new computer, I could run it at almost maximum settings.  I looked forward to making it my MMO home for a long time, and I remember texting my friend on the brand new original iPhone I had just gotten an upgrade to (the 3G was on the way so I got it cheap) that "I've got that WoW feeling, it's a real *world*."

Three and a half years later I stepped into another game.   It was something I had been looking forward to for a long time, I had actually played it's single-player prequel almost nine years before.   I walked out of a temple into a huge sandstone canyon underneath a foreboding red sun, and memories I didn't even know I had flooded back into my mind.  I was a student at an academy, and as I went around completing trials and conspiring against my fellow students I was overjoyed.   The game was everything I had expected.  As I left to the next planet, I decided to group up with some other players for an instance, and it was the most fun group play I'd had in a decade of MMO'ing; We were actually making choices as a group and going on a proper adventure.     I whispered my friend ingame, and I said  "Dude, do you think it has the feeling?" [he knew what I was saying since we'd spoken about the WoW feeling so many time] and he said only "yes."

Two huge games, two huge disappointments.

Don't get your hopes up.   Even 20 or 30 hours into the game, you won't know for sure.  

Save yourself the burn, chaps, save yourself the burn.

• tordurbartordurbar Member UncommonPosts: 421

Agree. This is what the rabid fanboyism has done for me. Before the recent hype all I could see was how awesome GW2 was. Since then I realize that, long term, it will not be the game for me. All the hype reminds me SO much of the SWTOR release.

• HomituHomitu Member UncommonPosts: 2,030
    Originally posted by BigAndShiny

I'd like to tell you a story.  

I was 19 levels into a fantastic game.  The first levels had been set on an island.  The voice acting drew you into the story, the gameplay was familiar yet added some action into the formula, allowing you to choose from which direction to attack.   The world was absolutely beautiful, and on my new computer, I could run it at almost maximum settings.  I looked forward to making it my MMO home for a long time, and I remember texting my friend on the brand new original iPhone I had just gotten an upgrade to (the 3G was on the way so I got it cheap) that "I've got that WoW feeling, it's a real *world*."

Three and a half years later I stepped into another game.   It was something I had been looking forward to for a long time, I had actually played it's single-player prequel almost nine years before.   I walked out of a temple into a huge sandstone canyon underneath a foreboding red sun, and memories I didn't even know I had flooded back into my mind.  I was a student at an academy, and as I went around completing trials and conspiring against my fellow students I was overjoyed.   The game was everything I had expected.  As I left to the next planet, I decided to group up with some other players for an instance, and it was the most fun group play I'd had in a decade of MMO'ing; We were actually making choices as a group and going on a proper adventure.     I whispered my friend ingame, and I said  "Dude, do you think it has the feeling?" [he knew what I was saying since we'd spoken about the WoW feeling so many time] and he said only "yes."

Two huge games, two huge disappointments.

Don't get your hopes up.   Even 20 or 30 hours into the game, you won't know for sure.  

Save yourself the burn, chaps, save yourself the burn.

Maybe it's just because I haven't quite had your disappointing experiences that I'm still wildly optimistic for GW2 at the moment.  I maintained a grounded perspective toward AoC and SW among other MMOs I've tried in between and since WoW.  Those games turned out to be exactly what I expected them to be.  In fact, almost every game, single player or MMO, has turned out to be exactly what I expected they'd be based on my beta experiences and/or information I've researched prior to playing them. 

Now for me, GW2 is the first MMO to come along that has truly given me what you call "that WoW feeling."  And I think Anet has been more transparent than probably any of those other games at conveying exactly what their game is to their fanbase over the course of the past 3 years through their blog posts and community interaction. 

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • MephsterMephster Member Posts: 1,188

Atleast 3 months before boredom kicks in. Who knows though, today you have so many out there who love to rush through content they just might get bored in a month. 

Grim Dawn, the next great action rpg!

http://www.grimdawn.com/

• DiSpLiFFDiSpLiFF Member UncommonPosts: 602

For the amount of hype for this game aren't 2-3 million copies kinda dissapointing? That won't even come close to Diablo 3...

A lot of "pvpers" will be playing CS GO instead, at least myself and my friends will be. 

pvp in mmo's in general is crap, and this game just looks like a lot of zerg fest fights. I got sick of arena pvp after WoW also so i'll be skipping this game. 

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • KzakKzak Member Posts: 22
    Buy on the rumor, sell on the fact.  Enough said.