Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Question, do we re-download for release ?

delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
Someone in my Guild mentioned that they will use the Bata client for release. They will just wipe out characters and patch.  Is this true or do we re-install the bata ?

Comments

• OldManFunkOldManFunk Member Posts: 894
    Yep. The beta client will be patched. No need to redownload the entire thing.
  • IngvarIngvar Member UncommonPosts: 193
    No. They have said it many times now that you just have to keep the launcher up to date.
  • Billybob2006Billybob2006 Member Posts: 47
    I like that for the same answer, we got a yes and a no to the OP's question!  Both of the above are correct though.
  • delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081

Great, fantastic, cool !!!!!!................I'm ready, I'll just sit here with my finger on the play button, a ham sandwich, some water and a pee bucket until next week !!!!.........Oh ya, and my Copenhagen chew........Gotta have that.......Chewing tobacco helps you concentrate.

I'm readdyyyyyyyyyyyy

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    Originally posted by F0rumLurker
    Originally posted by delete5230
    Someone in my Guild mentioned that they will use the Bata client for release. They will just wipe out characters and patch.  Is this true or do we re-install the bata ?

While probably true that you won't NEED to reinstall the client, it seems that redownloading the client can save some memory. Currently my client is 16gb in size, but others seem to say their newer client is 14gb. Redownloading the client might save some drive space, which is especially useful for those running low drive space SSDs. This thread has more details:

http://www.guildwars2guru.com/topic/49647-are-you-going-to-redownload-your-client-completely/

Somebody in the thread posts that fragmentation might be the cause for the increased client size:

"I think the problems with games patching from beta to launch and having issues in the future has to do with fragmentation.

I would recommend defragging the games files directly with certain programs.

I have been playing since BWE1, and my file is only 14.3 GB.

The reason why your files are larger is because you have cached more files into your harddrive than mine. This explains why the filesize is smaller when you reinstall it."

Ok, I have the game on two computers. I'll try it one computer at a time after launch. Cant aford to have anything go wrong during release...So it would be the best way.

• Thornz2000Thornz2000 Member Posts: 135

On the 25th (if you will have access) run the launcher about 4hrs before.

Should be fine.

The world we know is going away http://www.graystatemovie.com/
    Look up Agenda 21 as well.

• DanitaKusorDanitaKusor Member UncommonPosts: 556

While probably true that you won't NEED to reinstall the client, it seems that redownloading the client can save some memory. Currently my client is 16gb in size, but others seem to say their newer client is 14gb. Redownloading the client might save some drive space, which is especially useful for those running low drive space SSDs. This thread has more details:

http://www.guildwars2guru.com/topic/49647-are-you-going-to-redownload-your-client-completely/

Somebody in the thread posts that fragmentation might be the cause for the increased client size:

"I think the problems with games patching from beta to launch and having issues in the future has to do with fragmentation.

The reason why your files are larger is because you have cached more files into your harddrive than mine. This explains why the filesize is smaller when you reinstall it."

You might want to put a disclaimer here and say "DO NOT DEFRAGMENT IF GW2 IS ON YOUR SSD"

And my install seems to be 16.0 GB exactly.

The Enlightened take things Lightly

• ariboersmaariboersma Member Posts: 1,802
    Originally posted by DanitaKusor

You might want to put a disclaimer here and say "DO NOT DEFRAGMENT IF GW2 IS ON YOUR SSD"

And my install seems to be 16.0 GB exactly.

haha good point =P some might not understand their SSD! >.< ty for the post.. I just checked my install and somehow how it fully updated on 2 dif drives.. no idea how I managed that, and it looks like I have been playing it off the normal drive instead of the ssd! dammit >.<

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

they've been patching like nuts lately so i assume it's a simple patch matter for launch. Best patching system ive ever seen too, runs circles around anything i've seen they even have a system setup to autorestart the client for you so you don't have to if they suddenly have a fix while playing the game, nice.

• ariboersmaariboersma Member Posts: 1,802
    Originally posted by itgrowls

they've been patching like nuts lately so i assume it's a simple patch matter for launch. Best patching system ive ever seen too, runs circles around anything i've seen they even have a system setup to autorestart the client for you so you don't have to if they suddenly have a fix while playing the game, nice.

it has been confirmed by Anet that the beta client is fine, last stress test it was very updated, no bug report ladybug, new sylvari colors, new options menu, ect

• NateEssexNateEssex Member UncommonPosts: 58
    I have 14 Gig GW2 folder.  When, EST, can we start playing?  I have heard the 25th...but when?

Current: GW2 (almost)
    Played: EQ, DAoC,EQOA,Shadowbane,WoW, WAR, SWTOR, TSW

• Arachneus1Arachneus1 Member UncommonPosts: 248
    3am is official start time for EST however they did state they could put servers up - up to 3 hours in advance so anytime between midnight and 3am for EST