Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How long until GW2 brings the hate(rs)?

Comments

• dzoni87dzoni87 Member Posts: 541
    Originally posted by itgrowls
    Originally posted by bluefunk

I was wonder what others opinions were on the masive hype over GW2. 

Stopped reading when it reached this stage. Seriously, you people can stop trying to disguise your posts now, we know what you are really up to. It doesn't take much to read between the lines. Might want to check out my signature about the hype machine thing, give you a little enlightenment.

The word "Hype" is so overused...

It started to get annoying as "Hurr durr, GW2 fans say it is a WoW killer/Jesus/I dont know what else"

Main MMO at the moment: Guild Wars 2
    Waiting for: Pathfinder Online

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951
    Originally posted by dzoni87
    Originally posted by itgrowls

I was wonder what others opinions were on the masive hype over GW2. 

Stopped reading when it reached this stage. Seriously, you people can stop trying to disguise your posts now, we know what you are really up to. It doesn't take much to read between the lines. Might want to check out my signature about the hype machine thing, give you a little enlightenment.

The word "Hype" is so overused...

It started to get annoying as "Hurr durr, GW2 fans say it is a WoW killer/Jesus/I dont know what else"

Exactly and saying that they like the game and then turn around and saying "I'm genuinely concerned the hype will be too much for this game title" is just a copout trying to hide behind what looks like a genuine concern to help futher the idiotic bobblehead ramblings of the haters you claim you don't represent isn't helping matters. (used the word you in a general way)

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Originally posted by Vapors
    It's not only you who's thinking like that, if you check the current forum threads it's like everyone having pink glasses on. Gw2 is everything its sandbox best combat its awesome no raids its themepark its everything lol. Im pretty sure this can't hold pretty long, lets see how fast people realise that.

So much nonsense...

GW2 is just a good game with good and fun combat, hard to compare to other MMo´s because it has done a lot of things differnent.

Either way, individual people will either like it, while others wont. 

I like the game very very much.

And keep in mind that those people wearing pink glasses, all have played the game extensively during the test periodes, and they still love it after several months. 

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• DerpybirdDerpybird Member Posts: 991
    Originally posted by MindTrigger

What you guys fail to understand, is that you sound exactly like the people who were on these forums talking up their favorite upcoming releases in the past.  (Some of you do this repeatedly)  Do you know how many threads and posts like this there were for games like WAR, Tabula Rasa, SWTOR, and many others?

SWTOR is my favorite example, because it was so recent. A handful of us saw the problems coming 6-12 months before release.  We were here after giving the game an honest try at release to express our thoughts about the many problems with the game with the hopes that *someone* would listen to our feedback.  We were bashed and insulted by rabid fanboys, some of whom were on the forums a month later complaining about the *exact* same problems.

The truth is, we don't really know how the game's going to do until it's out there full time for 30-60 days.  You would best serve your hopes by being realistic about it, and making sure that if the game has shortcomings, they are put out there for the devs to know about.  If you are suggesting this game is perfect as is, then you are beyond help.

I'll grant you that GW2 looks to be a solid title, but I still say it remains to be seen whether or not a lot of players are going to get the same themepark "been there done that" feeling from it once the shine of the new game wears off.   I hope I'm wrong, and I do have faith in ANet because they are a kick ass company.  We'll just have to wait and see.  

Who is suggesting that this game is perfect? Liking a game does not make you blind to its faults. Being critical of a game does not make your criticisms correct.

Most of the people who frequent the GW2 forums have played at least one BWE and have a decent idea of what the game is and what it is not. I have not seen anyone claim that the game is perfect. Most of what I have heard is people saying that it is better than what's out there currently. I've spent over 100 hours in game, have barely scratched the surface, know what I like and what I do not like, and find it a solid evolution of the genre.

Who is suggesting that everyone will like it? I clearly indicated in my response that this game is not going to be for everyone.

What "shortcomings" do you see in GW2 that you are desperately hoping that the developers will listen to prior to launch? What things should people be realistic about?

"Loading screens" are not "instances".
    Your personal efforts to troll any game will not, in fact, impact the success or failure of said game.

• sammandarsammandar Member Posts: 523
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus
    Originally posted by Vapors
    It's not only you who's thinking like that, if you check the current forum threads it's like everyone having pink glasses on. Gw2 is everything its sandbox best combat its awesome no raids its themepark its everything lol. Im pretty sure this can't hold pretty long, lets see how fast people realise that.

So much nonsense...

GW2 is just a good game with good and fun combat, hard to compare to other MMo´s because it has done a lot of things differnent.

Either way, individual people will either like it, while others wont. 

I like the game very very much.

And keep in mind that those people wearing pink glasses, all have played the game extensively during the test periodes, and they still love it after several months. 

Agreed. GW2 is a very complete and polished game and its not even released yet! Not saying its perfect, I'm just saying its looking very good right now. Anet of course will have to continue working on GW2, improving it, balancing the professions and adding more content. I really think we are at the cusp of one of the greatest mmo games we have yet seen; I guess time will tell :)

• kastakasta Member Posts: 512
    On topic, I think 3 to 5 weeks in you will start seeing the "I'm 80, now what?" threads.
  • dzoni87dzoni87 Member Posts: 541

I'll grant you that GW2 looks to be a solid title, but I still say it remains to be seen whether or not a lot of players are going to get the same themepark "been there done that" feeling from it once the shine of the new game wears off.

Need to add something about this...

"Shine" of every game wears off after some ammount of time. Each game gets boring after longer play and it is normal thing. Happened even with WoW and many more games for me, why it wouldnt happen here. The only thing that matter is how "slow" will game wear-off. The fun factor is there to determine it.
      On the other hand, i agree that we dont know what PvE late-game looks like. That can make OR break the game for me (even then, there is W v W and i find it interesting for now). There i said it now, 10 days before release :D

Main MMO at the moment: Guild Wars 2
    Waiting for: Pathfinder Online

• HomituHomitu Member UncommonPosts: 2,030

True fanboys can play even the worst games for years upon years and trick themselves into liking it.  So you don't have to worry about them.  Good or bad, they will continue to play GW2 and "enjoy" it. 

Most of everyone else is grounded enough to realize what they like and maintain realistic expectations for the game. 

Regardless, you will always read hate about any and every game. 

• Bad.dogBad.dog Member UncommonPosts: 1,131
    Originally posted by kasta
    On topic, I think 3 to 5 weeks in you will start seeing the "I'm 80, now what?" threads.

Well this is easy...You just remove 1/2 their brains and then send them back to some subscription base gind-fest like WoW ,Rift or TSW and tell them they are having more fun because they are paying $15 a month

• dellirious13dellirious13 Member Posts: 205

I bought and so far (beta's, stress test's withstanding) am busting to play GW2, it looks great.  I also play and love TSW, both great games for different reasons.  I'm pretty sure between them I am going to sorted for a good few months/years - grea games, great stuff.

I was wonder what others opinions were on the masive hype over GW2.  It is definately an awesome game but I am worried that the hate will seap (sp?) in after about 3-4 weeks. If something is fanboy'd this much we are settin git up for a fall.  I live in the UK and oou media do it all the time.

Just wondered if others think like I do?  People will play their bottoms off until they reach 80, say there's no endgame or raids (Zzzzz) and post mega crap on forums. 

GW2 is great and TSW is great, both will continue to be so.

As others have stated already, I'm sure, I don't think there is much real HYPE coming from players that have played this game (in this and other forums, in reviews, and from Anet). Most here on this forum accept the flaws that some see in GW2, and some agree with differing flaws (opinions shift, some dont like the music, i love it, that difference happens). Overall, people in the GW2 forums are speaking from experience playing the game, and talking about things that ARE part of the game (I have played over 100 hours in this game already, for example). Hype is about sensationalism, falsehoods, and misguiding people. Neither the core of the GW2 fanbase, nor the Anet devs themselves have spread Hype. They have stated what their game is about, what is in it, and many have said that not everyone will like everything about the game. Very realist, very truthful. No Hype at all :P

On a separate note, though, there are already haters. They will probably be out in larger numbers next week and the first few weeks after release when all the GW2 fans are playing instead of spending time on forums anymore. But I have noticed, that even the haters cannot find much fodder to cry about apart from the same couple things that they have been whining about for the last 4 months. Funny thing is, most of these features Anet said would not be in the game a long long time ago (these are OWPVP, gear grind, the typic raid, gear based PVP).  Its actually quite funny :)

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

Why the hell is everybody who posts on this site so focused on borrowing trouble?

What's to be gained from everyone being frightened by prophetic visions of doom?

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• MeowheadMeowhead Member UncommonPosts: 3,716
    Originally posted by Icewhite

Why the hell is everybody who posts on this site so focused on borrowing trouble?

What's to be gained from everyone being frightened by visions of doom?

Well, then you hope the game fails in the future, and you get mad street cred, and can point back to your old post and say 'Saw it coming!'.

Being an internet prophet is hard work!

• PanteraRosaPanteraRosa Member UncommonPosts: 35
    Hold on someones at my door
  • dellirious13dellirious13 Member Posts: 205
    Originally posted by Derpybird
    Originally posted by eggy08
    Originally posted by Roybe

I think this is exactly what is going to happen.

Within days of release, there will, of course, be some disappointed players who didn't play a BWE or watch videos who will realize, upon playing, that this game isn't what they were looking for.

There will be players who reach end game, and even though we have no idea what it will look like or how it will play out, will say "oh it's not like traditional raiding" and so they'll leave.

And then there will be the thread after thread after thread of manufactured hate. And anyone who has followed the GW2 forums will know exactly who will be posting on these threads. And we already know the list of recycled complaints that will be posted.

This will, of course, be going on while the vast majority of people will be playing the game and not see a lot of reasons to actually be hanging out on the forums.

If you saw what happened every single BWE, it will just be a repeat of that all over again.

What you guys fail to understand, is that you sound exactly like the people who were on these forums talking up their favorite upcoming releases in the past.  (Some of you do this repeatedly)  Do you know how many threads and posts like this there were for games like WAR, Tabula Rasa, SWTOR, and many others?

SWTOR is my favorite example, because it was so recent. A handful of us saw the problems coming 6-12 months before release.  We were here after giving the game an honest try at release to express our thoughts about the many problems with the game with the hopes that *someone* would listen to our feedback.  We were bashed and insulted by rabid fanboys, some of whom were on the forums a month later complaining about the *exact* same problems.

The truth is, we don't really know how the game's going to do until it's out there full time for 30-60 days.  You would best serve your hopes by being realistic about it, and making sure that if the game has shortcomings, they are put out there for the devs to know about.  If you are suggesting this game is perfect as is, then you are beyond help.

I'll grant you that GW2 looks to be a solid title, but I still say it remains to be seen whether or not a lot of players are going to get the same themepark "been there done that" feeling from it once the shine of the new game wears off.   I hope I'm wrong, and I do have faith in ANet because they are a kick ass company.  We'll just have to wait and see.  

It is true that we have to wait until release/a couple months after to truly judge the game. But, I feel like (compared to recent releases) there are not as many (percentage wise) rabid fans of GW2. There is that occassional one that thinks that GW2 is perfect (and who know it could be to them, but they have to be real and understand it wont be for everyone), but the majoring of us GW2 fans here and in other forums that I post in regulary, acknowledge the flaws, hope and ask that the ones that are "fixable" are fixed, and don't try to spread falsehoods about the game features, etc. For example, the biggest gripes from haters are: CS, no OWPVP, no gear progression, no raids, semi-normalized PVP. I personally am for not having 3 of these 5 in GW2 (I could do without the CS, but it doesnt hurt my experience so i dont care much, and I do like raids, but not every game has to have everything I like, that would be rediculous.). I have also played a decent amount, so I know I like the game and will be playing it for a long time (unless the maps we havent seen are white screens or something :P ).

Anyway, we shall see! Very good post btw, I agreed with how this has happened with previous titles, and who knows it could happen with GW2, too :)

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    Originally posted by eggy08
    Originally posted by Roybe
    Honestly, I'm not planning on being around the forums after release.  generally, I have very little time to do what I want, since I'll be playing GW2, I won't have to worry about what haters are going to be saying.  Haters gonna hate, I'm gonna play and have fun.

August 30th:

"See guys I told you this game was going to flop... guys? hello anyone here?"  *cricket chirping"

"Oh you're still here? Sorry too busy playing GW2 to care about your opinions anymore. Cya"

You'll be back soon....they always come back after the shiney's been knocked out of them.

We'll leave the light on. 

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• otacuotacu Member UncommonPosts: 547

Only fanbois use the word haters to describe other players.

Sorry, but you cannot fault people for playing the game the way it is designed.  Themeparks are a linear progression toward the end game, so that's what you get.  If the game designers made them to have a more horizontal game play style, where leveling wasn't so important, then you would see people spend less time grinding, and more time having experiences.

I'm looking forward to GW2 as much as anyone.  Probably even more than 99% of the *new* fan base since I played GW1 and love it. However it's not hard for an experienced MMO player to see that this is still just a thememark and that while they did move the genre forward with some repackaging of old mechanics and some new ideas, it's not going to blow people away with originality after you settle in and play for 30+ days.

The depth just isn't there, and it's still a vertical climb toward nothing.  Time will be spent like all previous themeparks.  You will level up, you will do collections and maybe some crafting.  You may like PvP more in this game than other games.  In the end, you will be grinding for gear, or re-rolling to expand your experience.

It's a good thing, for me, that I will have both TSW and GW2, because they both have strengths and weaknesses.

Let's see...

"this is just a themepark" check

self entitled "experienced mmo player" check

sandbox signature check

"vertical climb toward nothing" check

Sorry but why do you even play GW2 since you don't like the themepark genre?

FYI Gw2 is horizontal playstyle at cap and leveling isn't even important since all you can do at 80 you can still do at level 2 (or level 30 if you want that elite skill). And there is no geargrind for more power at cap. No raiding tiers.

It's a themepark but it's nothing like themeparks of the past.

It's a game that values the time of its players 

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

I used to be the Voice of Schadenfreude, but then I took an arrow to the knee.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Originally posted by Meowhead
    Originally posted by Icewhite

What's to be gained from everyone being frightened by visions of doom?

Well, then you hope the game fails in the future, and you get mad street cred, and can point back to your old post and say 'Saw it coming!'.

Being an internet prophet is hard work!

Not if you claim every game will fail.  Some posters here have this "prophecy" gig in the bag.

ie: they claim every game is a failure.

• SabasSabas Member UncommonPosts: 217
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

This right here.

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member Posts: 4,990
    Originally posted by otacu

Only fanbois use the word haters to describe other players.

Sorry, but you cannot fault people for playing the game the way it is designed.  Themeparks are a linear progression toward the end game, so that's what you get.  If the game designers made them to have a more horizontal game play style, where leveling wasn't so important, then you would see people spend less time grinding, and more time having experiences.

I'm looking forward to GW2 as much as anyone.  Probably even more than 99% of the *new* fan base since I played GW1 and love it. However it's not hard for an experienced MMO player to see that this is still just a thememark and that while they did move the genre forward with some repackaging of old mechanics and some new ideas, it's not going to blow people away with originality after you settle in and play for 30+ days.

The depth just isn't there, and it's still a vertical climb toward nothing.  Time will be spent like all previous themeparks.  You will level up, you will do collections and maybe some crafting.  You may like PvP more in this game than other games.  In the end, you will be grinding for gear, or re-rolling to expand your experience.

It's a good thing, for me, that I will have both TSW and GW2, because they both have strengths and weaknesses.

Let's see...

"this is just a themepark" check

self entitled "experienced mmo player" check

sandbox signature check

"vertical climb toward nothing" check

Sorry but why do you even play GW2 since you don't like the themepark genre?

FYI Gw2 is horizontal playstyle at cap and leveling isn't even important since all you can do at 80 you can still do at level 2 (or level 30 if you want that elite skill). And there is no geargrind for more power at cap. No raiding tiers.

It's a themepark but it's nothing like themeparks of the past.

It's a game that values the time of its players 

/shrug

I don't see anything wrong with his post nor do I see it as him slamming the game. He's going in with realistic expectations for his gameplay style. Which some others here would be wise to do. Although they won't. They never do.

I wouldn't be surprised if the poster you quoted is still playing this game long past some others here that are currently acting like this is the best thing they've played since their first mmo. I mean god only knows they've been saying that same line for every fucking mmo that has come out for the past several years. Then a few months go by and they're back to the same old complaints. More often than not because they build up unrealistic expectations and overinflate the game so when they come down from their high they end up crashing like a meteor.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• otinanai123otinanai123 Member Posts: 265
    About 2 weeks from launch when people start hitting 80 and see that there is nothing to do.
  • SabasSabas Member UncommonPosts: 217
    Originally posted by Wickedjelly

*snip*

See but thats the thing isn't it.

It feels as if everyone has grown so used to the fact that MMO's underdeliver, that it just can not be that there actually is an MMO being released that is generating positive buzz.

I just don't understand why it always immediatly has to blind faith, hype or "fanboyizm". (Love making up words XD)

But funny enough for a lot of MMO veterans yes GW2 does bring back some of that wonder we remember from way back.

Originally posted by otinanai123
    About 2 weeks from launch when people start hitting 80 and see that there is nothing to do.

Can we hold you to this? XD

Because the people who are actually in the know are really laughing their asses of with these comments.

The question is, will the end game be what people like when you remove the stat progression.

• VikingGamerVikingGamer Member UncommonPosts: 1,350
    The haters arrived the same day that the fanbois appeared for you will never have one without the other. The sun has the moon. The summer has winter. The day has night. So is the way of things. Every action has an equal and opposite reaction. And so for every Fan there will be a Troll. From the first teaser trailer and announcement until the sunsetting of the service and the datacenter goes cold and dark.

All die, so die well.

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member Posts: 4,990
    Originally posted by Pandamin
    Originally posted by Wickedjelly

*snip*

See but thats the thing isn't it.

It feels as if everyone has grown so used to the fact that MMO's underdeliver, that it just can not be that there actually is an MMO being released that is generating positive buzz.

I just don't understand why it always immediatly has to blind faith, hype or "fanboyizm". (Love making up words XD)

But funny enough for a lot of MMO veterans yes GW2 does bring back some of that wonder we remember from way back.

You see it all the time here man with new games. I'm not saying it isn't genuine with some. But there are other here that have been saying that line literally for years now with just about every mmo to come down the pipeline. There is nothing wrong with positive buzz. Lot of good things about this game. Also, some other things that are questionable, may not appeal to some, or could straight up be problematic. Nothing wrong with being positive but a little objectivity for some would do them a lot better in the long run.

To be clear, I doubt many associate positive buzz with blind faith or fanboyism. I know i don't. That makes as much sense to me as those villifying people bringing up potential issues or problems as being haters.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• Rider071Rider071 Member Posts: 318

What's to hate? It's a great innovative MMO, for a 1 shot price, you buy, you're done. You're always going to be the guy/gal who got on board and stayed on board, you'll never have to quit, no subs, no p2w. All that on top of a phenomenal game.

Any haters would just be fools or jealous they couldn't pony up $60, because the game for a week is worth that, but you get infinite instead.