Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What game did you play 2000-2005?

Comments

• VegettoVegetto Member Posts: 841

Planetside then SWG.

Awesome, followed by bigger awesome, followed by 7 years of dogshit.

• CyclopsSlayerCyclopsSlayer Member UncommonPosts: 532
    Most time would have to go to EQ1, raided heavily there. When we weren't raiding I played DAoC, Asheron's Calll, L2, and dabbled in others.
  • ShojuShoju Member UncommonPosts: 776
    Final Fantasy XI
  • 7star7star Member Posts: 405

I didn't play mmorpgs back then as I was busy with grad school and raising a small child. I had no idea mmorpgs even existed.  My first gaming experience was on the Atari 2600 when I was in high school.

http://www.atariage.com/2600/index.html?SystemID=2600

Then I went to college and discovered chicks and partying. So I didn't have time for gaming. Then I got married and had a family. Still no time for gaming. Then I stayed at my sister's house and my nephews turned me on the the N64 with Goldeneye (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktwVEYqnpcc) and I was shocked and awed at how much games had evolved since Berzerk (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntZj5UYGfzs). I went from N64 to Xbox to Xbox360 before I got into computer gaming again.  

In 2007, I was telling a co-worker about Oblivion and he asked me if I'd ever played WoW. I said, "What's that?"

I wound up playing WoW for two years and probably from there my history of mmorpgs is pretty similar to most others here.

So I totally missed out on UO, DAOC, and EQ.

• beeker255beeker255 Member UncommonPosts: 351
    DAOC and AO was my 2 games I'd swap back and forth if I felt burnout.
  • BijouBijou Member UncommonPosts: 145

My first MMO was Ragnarok Online back in 2004. I still have my very first RO screenshot on an old CD. :D I used to play that game for years then I got into 3D MMOs in 2006 (Lineage 2). Mmm, I feel so nostalgic now.

• ajayazirajayazir Member Posts: 108
    Originally posted by Ramanadjinn

swg, anarchy online, subspace, everquest, asheron's call 2, earth and beyond, world of warcraft, ultima online, the realm online, eve online, final fantasy xi..

and a few more including some online asian games of which i can't remember the names.

Haha... same answer... 

• DestaiDestai Member Posts: 574
    I played everquest, neverwinter nights, and morrowind. Everquest was my first MMO and I was clueless how to play it. I had a friend get me into the game with promises of leveling me quicker. Alas that didn't happen and I quit after a year. I shouldn't have picked a mage in hindsight. I should have went druid or cleric, but I didn't know these things. Neverwinter Nights was my thing for 2 years. I ran servers and created endless mods. Morrowind also filled a great amount of time. The mods, the adventure, the endless exploration - it was great.
  • VanadromArdaVanadromArda Member Posts: 445

Yeah, a Poll is a BAD idea to answer this question. Why? Because 2000 - 2005 is a 5 year period, and during that time I played a lot of stuff.

2000 - Ultima Online / EverQuest  / Various Beta Tests
    2001 - Anarchy Online / Dark Age of Camelot / Various Beta Tests
    2002 - Dark Age of Camelot / Earth and Beyond / Various Beta Tests
    2003 - PlanetSide / Dark Age of Camelot / Final Fantasy XI / Various Beta Tests
    2004 - Final Fantasy XI / City of Heroes / Monster Hunter / World of Warcraft / Guild Wars Events / Various Beta Tests
    2005 - Final Fantasy XI / Monster Hunter / Guild Wars / PlanetSide / Various Beta Tests
  • dorugudorugu Member UncommonPosts: 184
    played anarchy,earth n beyond,funwang online,wow,covert action,xcom those r the ones i remember :)
  • Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    I playe both EQ and DAoC, but mostly i keep wondering how this may in any form relate to GW2, i see absolutely no connection

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by FealStyrm
    Originally posted by Ramanadjinn

swg, anarchy online, subspace, everquest, asheron's call 2, earth and beyond, world of warcraft, ultima online, the realm online, eve online, final fantasy xi..

and a few more including some online asian games of which i can't remember the names.

2000-2005 only.

all of his games were appropiate 

listing of years and launches

Pre2001
    Everquest, Ultima Online, Lineage

Anarchy Online, Asherons Call, Dark Age of Camelot

Asherons Call 2, Earth & Beyond, Final Fantasy XI

Shadowbane, Eve Online, Lineage II ,Second Life, Star Wars Galaxies, Horizons (now called Isitaria)

early 2004
    City of Heroes

• ariestearieste Member UncommonPosts: 3,309

Over that period I played Anarchy Online the most - 3 years.

"I’d rather work on something with great potential than on fulfilling a promise of mediocrity."

- Raph Koster

Tried: AO,EQ,EQ2,DAoC,SWG,AA,SB,HZ,CoX,PS,GA,TR,IV,GnH,EVE, PP,DnL,WAR,MxO,SWG,FE,VG,AoC,DDO,LoTRO,Rift,TOR,Aion,Tera,TSW,GW2,DCUO,CO,STO
    Favourites: AO,SWG,EVE,TR,LoTRO,TSW,EQ2, Firefall
    Currently Playing: ESO

• ariestearieste Member UncommonPosts: 3,309
    Originally posted by Onigod
    Dunno why you care what internet strangers have played in 2000-2005 and dunno why this is in the guildwars 2 forum.

Dunno why you care what polls internet strangers make and in what forum.

"I’d rather work on something with great potential than on fulfilling a promise of mediocrity."

- Raph Koster

Tried: AO,EQ,EQ2,DAoC,SWG,AA,SB,HZ,CoX,PS,GA,TR,IV,GnH,EVE, PP,DnL,WAR,MxO,SWG,FE,VG,AoC,DDO,LoTRO,Rift,TOR,Aion,Tera,TSW,GW2,DCUO,CO,STO
    Favourites: AO,SWG,EVE,TR,LoTRO,TSW,EQ2, Firefall
    Currently Playing: ESO

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

UO/E&B/SWG.

WoW starting 2004.

• The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,459

No offense meant, but your list of "2000-2005" MMOs is poor and this poll is pretty bad.

First, you forget major games like AO, SWG and AC1, and second, you add games like EQ2 which were barely released in 2005 (EQ2 was released in November 2004) so very little people will actually have played it "the most" in the period you are talking about here.

"Other" here, Asheron's Call is the game I played most during that period.

Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

• ariboersmaariboersma Member Posts: 1,802

you sorta missed Lineage 1 and 2 which were far more popular than the other games listed... they were the only games to hit over 1m subs pre WoW, source www.mmodata.net

yet you list these games...

• PanteraRosaPanteraRosa Member UncommonPosts: 35
    EQ and D2  "ya ya i know D2 really wasnt a mmo"
  • AcidonAcidon Member UncommonPosts: 796
    EverQuest, with a lot of DAoC in the mix.  WoW closed beta.  Then back to EQ.
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,353
    A Tale in the Desert is the only real MMORPG that I played much before Guild Wars launched.  But I also played Europa Universalis II and Infantry a lot.
  • NateEssexNateEssex Member UncommonPosts: 58
    Everquest, big time. Also, DAoC and Shadowbane.

Current: GW2 (almost)
    Played: EQ, DAoC,EQOA,Shadowbane,WoW, WAR, SWTOR, TSW

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by ariboersma

you sorta missed Lineage 1 and 2 which were far more popular than the other games listed... they were the only games to hit over 1m subs pre WoW, source www.mmodata.net

Lineage was huge but only in the East - it never had a strong presence in the West

(as seen by Ncsoft financials that broke down subs by region)

• GrootGroot Member UncommonPosts: 87
    UO (until summer 00), DAoC (95% of my time until WoW dropped in 04), Neocron 1 & 2, EQ2, & WoW.
  • ariboersmaariboersma Member Posts: 1,802
    Originally posted by Nadia
    Originally posted by ariboersma

Lineage was huge but only in the East - it never had a strong presence in the West

(as seen by Ncsoft financials that broke down subs by region)

L2 was pretty damned big, but that doesnt change the pure numbers of players and being left out is pretty bad, but then again his other choices are just as bad... like skipping SWG. Even you listed far mor games played than are on the list and many deserved to be there.

• MithrandolirMithrandolir Member UncommonPosts: 1,701

I played a hell of a lot of EQ1, AC1 and DAoC during those years. Most of that time I was subbed to all 3.

But if I measured on an hourly basis, DAoC would edge out over the rest for the most time spent in each game.

Everquest has almost 2 years on DAoC though, as far as launch dates go.... DAoC did not launch until October of 2001 if I remember correctly. I remember being in beta during 9/11

Still, once I tasted RvR it was all over... i was sucked in for 8+ hours per night. Bless my wife for her patience through that time! She's a saint :)