Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Diablo 3 or Torchlight 2?

wungunwungun Member Posts: 67

I know the game isn't out (Torchlight 2) but we've seen gameplay of it right? 

I'm not sure if there's already another thread about this but I'm curious to what everyone else thinks.

Comments

• LethalJaxxLethalJaxx Member Posts: 105
    I had more fun playing the beta weekend of TL2 than i ever had in D3. There are major changes to itemization, skills and encounters, so i expect it to only get better. Can't wait.
  • Cod_EyeCod_Eye Member UncommonPosts: 1,016
    TL2 is a way superior game to D3
  • SilverbarrSilverbarr Member Posts: 306

Personally I would go with Path of Exile over either, feels more dark and gritty - which i personally feel makes the genre, like D1 and D2.

M

"Regard your soldiers as your children, and they will follow you into the deepest valleys. Look on them as your own beloved sons, and they will stand by you even unto death!"
    - Sun Tzu, the Art of War

Support the Indie Developers - Kickstarter

• GrinnzGrinnz Member UncommonPosts: 312

Path of Exile....meh..

Torchlight 2 is fun though, but couple of the classes need overhauls IMO the Berseker and Outlander just didn't play well for me.

I like Diablo 3 as well, but too many people are purist thus Diablo 3 didn't maintain true to it's roots in their eyes.

• MagnetiaMagnetia Member UncommonPosts: 1,015

TL 2 

Get D3 when it is the same price as TL2.

Play for fun. Play to win. Play for perfection. Play with friends. Play in another world. Why do you play?

• TechinsteinTechinstein Member Posts: 10
    Diablo 3,because its very popular, and lots of people say its fun and amazing. Especially if you like those type of games. But at the end its up to you to choose.

• CastillleCastillle Member UncommonPosts: 2,679
    D3 because Torchlight 2 isnt out yet.

''/\/\'' Posted using Iphone bunni
    ( o.o)
    (")(")
    **This bunny was cloned from bunnies belonging to Gobla and is part of the Quizzical Fanclub and the The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club**

• ValentinaValentina Member RarePosts: 2,079
    TL2, by far. D3 was okay but it was really underwhelming. TL2 is superior in many ways, and how much they're expanding the world is exciting.
  • DerpybirdDerpybird Member Posts: 991
    TL2, definitely.

"Loading screens" are not "instances".
    Your personal efforts to troll any game will not, in fact, impact the success or failure of said game.

• Ghost12Ghost12 Member Posts: 684
    Originally posted by Techinstein
    Diablo 3,because its very popular, and lots of people say its fun and amazing. Especially if you like those type of games. But at the end its up to you to choose.

With a 3.8 user score on metacritic http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/diablo-iii I doubt D3 is popular, yet alone fun and amazing.

• CastillleCastillle Member UncommonPosts: 2,679
    How were you guys able to play TL2?  Ive had it preordered since we were allowed to and I never gotted in any of the beta thingies T_T

''/\/\'' Posted using Iphone bunni
    ( o.o)
    (")(")
    **This bunny was cloned from bunnies belonging to Gobla and is part of the Quizzical Fanclub and the The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club**

• majinantmajinant Member UncommonPosts: 418

Neither. Path of Exile is better than both.

• Nekky_FateNekky_Fate Member UncommonPosts: 162
    Definitely TL2.
  • Psycho2kPsycho2k Member Posts: 63
    After playing both of the beta's I chose T2, I was really looking forward to D3 but I just didn't enjoy the beta all that much, I had loads of fun playing T2 though.

• bonzoso21bonzoso21 Member UncommonPosts: 380
    Originally posted by Ghost12

With a 3.8 user score on metacritic http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/diablo-iii I doubt D3 is popular, yet alone fun and amazing.

I hope you don't actually trust user scores on Metacritic to be a fair representation of a game's quality. Disgruntled nutjobs are always bombing good games with 0 ratings after having fits of nerdrage over something 95% of players would shrug off.

• MavekMavek Member Posts: 138
    Originally posted by Castillle
    How were you guys able to play TL2?  Ive had it preordered since we were allowed to and I never gotted in any of the beta thingies T_T

They had an open beta weekend in May or June, or at least pretty much most who who signed up were invited.

• SouldrainerSouldrainer Member Posts: 1,857

Grim Dawn > POE > TL2.

Diablo 3?  Worst ARPG invented.  I'd sooner gouge out my own eyes than spend a dime on that game!

Error: 37. Signature not found. Please connect to my server for signature access.

• WarmakerWarmaker Member UncommonPosts: 2,246
    Originally posted by Souldrainer

Grim Dawn > POE > TL2.

Diablo 3?  Worst ARPG invented.  I'd sooner gouge out my own eyes than spend a dime on that game!

Your first two titles aren't even out yet, and the first one hasn't even gotten it's money to begin work on it yet.

As for TL2, I like it's solo and multiplayer friendliness.  I can enjoy an action RPG experience like old-school Diablo and not be hampered down by draconian and money grabbing measures like those implemented by Blizzard.  Also, it's mod friendly.  More so than even Diablo 2, which did have a slew of mods for it years ago.  Not to mention I can play it offline, unlike Diablo 3.  I travel on occasion for extensive periods of time, oftenly in places where I'm not going to have that fancy internet connection.  Nice to know I can have my ARPG fix on my trusty laptop wherever I go.  Unlike Diablo 3.

As for Diablo 3, personally, the Diablo series ended with D2.  I'll leave it at that.

"I have only two out of my company and 20 out of some other company. We need support, but it is almost suicide to try to get it here as we are swept by machine gun fire and a constant barrage is on us. I have no one on my left and only a few on my right. I will hold." (First Lieutenant Clifton B. Cates, US Marine Corps, Soissons, 19 July 1918)

• ButregenyoButregenyo Member UncommonPosts: 483
    TL2 is much more superior, also more fun to me.
  • DaggerjaydoDaggerjaydo Member UncommonPosts: 121
    Path of Exile.
  • WarmakerWarmaker Member UncommonPosts: 2,246
    Originally posted by bonzoso21
    Originally posted by Ghost12

I hope you don't actually trust user scores on Metacritic to be a fair representation of a game's quality. Disgruntled nutjobs are always bombing good games with 0 ratings after having fits of nerdrage over something 95% of players would shrug off.

I'd trust Metacritic more than alot of gaming review sites.  I'd like to point as evidence PC Gamer labelling Dragon Age 2 as RPG of the Decade and giving it a ridiculously high score, where in truth, the game is a total cheap, quick cashgrab sheister compared to it's predecessor.

At least with Metacritic, you can read and discard trash reviews, and can see for yourself actual posters with valid points for the Pro's and Con's of a game, all on the same site.  Not like some other places where you have bought reviews and such.

"I have only two out of my company and 20 out of some other company. We need support, but it is almost suicide to try to get it here as we are swept by machine gun fire and a constant barrage is on us. I have no one on my left and only a few on my right. I will hold." (First Lieutenant Clifton B. Cates, US Marine Corps, Soissons, 19 July 1918)

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    I skipped D3, and I enjoyed the first Torchlight a lot.  In addition, the price of TL2 is much better for a potentially superior game.
  • PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784

Try the free Diablo 3 starter addition. If you like it, then buy it. If not, then go with TL2.  You get Torchlight 1 with a pre-purchase of TL2 on Steam.

• IndromeIndrome Member UncommonPosts: 292

TL2 - it has LAN support, doesn't require constant online connection (ergo: has singleplayer) and doesn't have an RMAH.

D3 - no LAN support, need to be constantly connected and at some point you HAVE to use the RMAH to advance.

Both have roughly the same number of different classes. Roughly the same world size (only in TL2 the randomization isn't exclusive to dungeons). I don't know about skills, though.

For me, the way TL2 offers more freedom to the player and seems more like its supposed to be a game and not a controlling mechanism to keep people in the money-machine-loop made all the difference.

• oubersoubers Member UncommonPosts: 855

played TL1 and loved it....didnt have a chance to try TL2 tough but i cant imagine it be THAT much better then the first one, except for the multiplayer added.....the rest looks just like the first one to me (but like i sayd, i didn play it yet).

To me Diablo 3 and TL are even in my books.....just the gfx are different but the rest aint realy that different.

As for skills......PoE baby.....they dont have a skiltree, they have a skill-landscape......in the first lvls it looks realy slugish but after a fiew lvls it realy gets going.....its not perfect but imho its better then D3 and TL1 (didnt play TL2 remember :p )

Oh and endgame in and economy in PoE is all player driven.....endgame maps will be tradable and there is no money in PoE so no moneysellers. (trading is with resources, so it all depends on what YOU need and not just the "real" money).

Hope to try tL2 soon tough.....the modding guys will make awesome things prolly.