Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What if Blizzard ran SWG ?

Comments

• ElnatorElnator Member Posts: 6,077

Originally posted by kaibigan34
    Originally posted by Elnator
    LOL now you're just making stuff up. SWG is pretty good about sticking to continuity as far as in-game content goes. The only things that really violate the 'timeline' are Jedi and non-human Empire members. Other than that the GAME sticks to the storyline pretty well. I question some of the things that were added but if you READ The content they are pretty careful to stay inside the timeline and explain any odd things very well. Stuff from EP1-3 would still be around during EP IV-VI. Duh... The Millenium Falcon exsisted prior to EP1 if you read the source material. She was OLD when Han Got her. And that was when the Empire was just recently formed..What about the blockade around Dathomir that wont let anyone down to the planet or off the planet? I get there and leave unhindered all the time. Nightsisters didnt come about until around ROTJ. Until then it was all Singing Mountain Clan.
    The Dark Trooper project wasnt started until after ROTJ.
    Go to the Droid Lab on Lok. Its the Dungeon on the south side of volcano. You see Droidekas and Assassin Droids. This is all nice and good except there were only 5 ever made. So what is with this other 18 standing there?
    "Only two Sith there are, a master and an apprentice." You think so Yoda? You better go back to Dathomir. There are soldiers and such running around all over the place. (This is one error that SOE/LA should be ashamed of)
    There is also the B-Wing and other ships that are completely out of continuity.
    SOE and LA do NOT try to keep with continuity. They out right murder it every chance they get. This is just one quick list. Dathomir alone has so many continuity errors it would fill up a whole page.
    And I dont blame just SOE. I blame them both. They are both equally guilty.
    Kai

As I said... everything that has to do with Jedi, period, is borked in the game. I already came right out and said that.

Currently Playing: Dungeons and Dragons Online.
    Sig image Pending
    Still in: A couple Betas

Oh.. and how about Vader giving away his PERSONAL Jedi Starfighter to any chump that comes along and kills a few rebels?

Ummm... last I checked he gives you "A" star fighter. And it's not a "jedi starfighter" either. Nor is it his personal ship. If you recall from the movies there were at least TWO of them, and more than likely many more.

And just wait til the next explansion, Obi-Wan the Tourist Guide.. where Obi-Wan Kenobi guides HUNDREDS (thousands according to SOE) of Jedi on quests across Mustafar, even though just a few months later he tells Yoda that "that boy" (Luke) is their "last hope".

Already said that everything regarding Jedi in this game is Borked. You're now preaching to the choir. Jedi suck. They need to get rid of them and quit catering to them.

Anyone that thinks that SWG has continuity must be eagerly awaiting the Peter Jackson's retelling of The Hobbit.. where he gives Bilbo a cybernetic arm and lets the dwarves all fly around in the Starship Yamato, as they kill Smaug with telekenesis and kung fu.

Jedi asside, as I've said many times, the game is pretty good about continuity. EVERYTHING dealing with Jedi in the game is just plain broken. Including the villiage, the sith, and even "dark jedi" roaming about. As far as Dathomir? It's EU content and thus is not canonical so arguing about when the blockade started is just silly.

Sig image Pending

Originally posted by Elnator I hate to break this to you but:LucasArts didn't write ANY of those games except XWing series. X-Wing-Alliance wasn't written by them either. Take a closer look at who wrote those. It WAS NOT LucasArts. They haven't released a decent game in years..... hell over a decade really. The only games that WERE good were written FOR Them by another company. All they did was sign on the dotted line. SWG they actually try to manage.
    That is grasping at straws at best Elnator. Saying those games arent LAs because someone else wrote them....?
    It doesnt matter if they pay a direct employee or contract another company. It IS still their game plain and simple. I guaruntee you that and it holds up in any court of law in 70% of the world when the lawsuits start flying. "You contracted them to do it? Well your just as much to blame so bend over and get ready for the big show."
    Kai

No sorry, wrong. For the purposes of this arguement you used THOSE games as examples of games that LUCASARTS developed that were quality. When in fact 90% of them weren't written by lucasarts. Your arguement, not mine. I merely pointed out that they had nothing to do with the coding of them. They merely provided the storyline.

Oddly enough I wonder who provided the storyline to SOE? Hmmm? Betcha ten bucks it was a LucasArts contact :)

Sig image Pending

• ShaydeShayde Member Posts: 4,529

LOL now you're just making stuff up. SWG is pretty good about sticking to continuity as far as in-game content goes. The only things that really violate the 'timeline' are Jedi and non-human Empire members. Other than that the GAME sticks to the storyline pretty well. I question some of the things that were added but if you READ The content they are pretty careful to stay inside the timeline and explain any odd things very well. Stuff from EP1-3 would still be around during EP IV-VI. Duh... The Millenium Falcon exsisted prior to EP1 if you read the source material. She was OLD when Han Got her. And that was when the Empire was just recently formed..What about the blockade around Dathomir that wont let anyone down to the planet or off the planet? I get there and leave unhindered all the time. Nightsisters didnt come about until around ROTJ. Until then it was all Singing Mountain Clan.
    Go to the Droid Lab on Lok. Its the Dungeon on the south side of volcano. You see Droidekas and Assassin Droids. This is all nice and good except there were only 5 ever made. So what is with this other 18 standing there?
    "Only two Sith there are, a master and an apprentice." You think so Yoda? You better go back to Dathomir. There are soldiers and such running around all over the place. (This is one error that SOE/LA should be ashamed of)
    SOE and LA do NOT try to keep with continuity. They out right murder it every chance they get. This is just one quick list. Dathomir alone has so many continuity errors it would fill up a whole page.
    Kai

As I said... everything that has to do with Jedi, period, is borked in the game. I already came right out and said that.

Well then how could they be "sticking to continuity pretty well" when two large pushes had to deal with the Jedi and a whole new expansion is jedi-centric?

That's like saying Hitler was a nice guy, except for the whole jew thing.

Jedi are the BIGGEST reason the continuity is shot to hell.. everything else is just gravy.

Shayde - SWG (dead)
    Proud member of the Cabal.

imageimage
    It sounds great, so great in fact, I pitty those who canceled :( - Some deluded SWG fanboi who pities me.
    I don't like it when you say things. - A Vanguard fan who does too.
    09f911029d74e35bd84156c5635688c0

• kaibigan34kaibigan34 Member Posts: 1,508

LOL now you're just making stuff up. SWG is pretty good about sticking to continuity as far as in-game content goes. The only things that really violate the 'timeline' are Jedi and non-human Empire members. Other than that the GAME sticks to the storyline pretty well. I question some of the things that were added but if you READ The content they are pretty careful to stay inside the timeline and explain any odd things very well. Stuff from EP1-3 would still be around during EP IV-VI. Duh... The Millenium Falcon exsisted prior to EP1 if you read the source material. She was OLD when Han Got her. And that was when the Empire was just recently formed..

What about the blockade around Dathomir that wont let anyone down to the planet or off the planet? I get there and leave unhindered all the time. Nightsisters didnt come about until around ROTJ. Until then it was all Singing Mountain Clan.
    Kai

Dathomir, Droid Labs, Darktrooper project, B Wings, Firesprays, Hmmm none of those have anything to do with jedi. Did you even read the reply or just see the word SITH and assume it was all jedi related?

Where are the pieces of armor on the tamed Rancors?

Why dont the force witches ride them?

How come the Imperial Prison isnt under the control of the clans?

What is EV-9D9 doing in Jabba's Palace now?

Why is Max at Jabba's?

Why is half the people at Mos Eisley's Cantina still there and alive?

How come we can kill Lord Nyax?

Why is the capital city of the rebels on Naboo closer to the Emperor then his capital city?

Shall I go on? The game is full of continuity and not all are jedi. Some are small and some are huge. But they are there.

Kai

• rdrpappyrdrpappy Member Posts: 325

Originally posted by Jodokai

Originally posted by rdrpappy
    Blizzard earns their money, SOE finds ways to make their money.
    You can play WoW and know in 5 seconds you are in the World of Warcraft made popular by the Warcraft games over the years.
    You can play SWG and never feel like your part of the Star Wars story made popular by the movies, books and franchise over the last 3 decades.
    When I look at games like KOTOR, Episode III and the many other console games based on Star Wars, there is an obvious a real connection to the Star Wars universe.
    The license should be pulled from SOE and given to someone passionate about making what should be the most popular mmorpg on Earth.
    If I was in the big corner office, I would have some one's ass when I was informed the most popular and loved fantasy franchise of all time was being out sold and outnumbered in memberships in little unknown games with no past marketing.
    Where the hell is Lucas on this travesty of his story.

You need to pull your head out and realize that just because Lucas writes a good story, it doesn't make him the patron saint of all that's good. It has been proven time and time again, Lucas would sell his mother's life support system if he thought he could make a dollar on it.

Here's something that should rock your world: Take a look in the back SWG book at the credits. Look at who's responsible for Quality Assuance. Guess who he works for? That's right Bucky good ole LucasArts signs his paycheck. So everytime you see a bug in the game, he wrote off on it.

Now let's take a look at history:
    SOE: Most successful MMO to date (EQ)
    LucasArts: A whole butt-ton of uninspired craptacular games, with a couple that didn't completely suck.

Now look at the way EQ2 is being run by comparison to SWG. It's night and day. SOE is the same, the only difference is LA.

El,
    SWG will NEVER be and could NEVER be what WoW is. WoW appeals to the masses. It's checkers. It's a fun game that people can use to blow off steam when they're tired of thinking. The pure scope of SWG means it will never appeal to as many people as WoW does, and to me that's a GOOD thing.

Your words are the rantings of a true board commando, clearly you are incapable of reading this simple post and understanding it's clear message.

Star Wars Galaxies does not feel like Star Wars save for the cameos by characters used ingame, if you took out a half dozen elements it would be EQ with banthas.

I'm not saying Lucas is able to walk on water, only that he should pull the license and let someone more interested in Star Wars do it.

And lastly Blizzard is a good example of what a company passionate about their product is capable of.

Understand now "Bucky"

No sorry, wrong. For the purposes of this arguement you used THOSE games as examples of games that LUCASARTS developed that were quality. When in fact 90% of them weren't written by lucasarts. Your arguement, not mine. I merely pointed out that they had nothing to do with the coding of them. They merely provided the storyline.

Oddly enough I wonder who provided the storyline to SOE? Hmmm? Betcha ten bucks it was a LucasArts contact :)

In that case the kid flipping burgers at BK owns the burgers. The security guard sitting in front of the plant OWNS the company. The guy twisting the caps on the Dr Pepper bottles owns Dr Pepper. The guy tearing the tickets at the theater owns the movie. And so on.

Whether they paid a team directly or got contracted help it is still their game. The only difference is there is a contract. Its still their game. And any judge will agree with me. I know this for a fact because I had to deal with it.

You can try to justify it all you want Eln but you lose this one and there is no way you can argue against it. Though I am sure you will make another post to attempt that instead of just admitting ur wrong. If William Shatner can legally say he wrote the Tek series then Lucasarts has those games.

BTW read that post I made again about the games. I never once said they developed the games did I? Hmmmm NO! I said they own the games.

Kai

Originally posted by Elnator Originally posted by kaibigan34Originally posted by Elnator
    LOL now you're just making stuff up. SWG is pretty good about sticking to continuity as far as in-game content goes. The only things that really violate the 'timeline' are Jedi and non-human Empire members. Other than that the GAME sticks to the storyline pretty well. I question some of the things that were added but if you READ The content they are pretty careful to stay inside the timeline and explain any odd things very well. Stuff from EP1-3 would still be around during EP IV-VI. Duh... The Millenium Falcon exsisted prior to EP1 if you read the source material. She was OLD when Han Got her. And that was when the Empire was just recently formed..What about the blockade around Dathomir that wont let anyone down to the planet or off the planet? I get there and leave unhindered all the time. Nightsisters didnt come about until around ROTJ. Until then it was all Singing Mountain Clan.The Dark Trooper project wasnt started until after ROTJ.Go to the Droid Lab on Lok. Its the Dungeon on the south side of volcano. You see Droidekas and Assassin Droids. This is all nice and good except there were only 5 ever made. So what is with this other 18 standing there?"Only two Sith there are, a master and an apprentice." You think so Yoda? You better go back to Dathomir. There are soldiers and such running around all over the place. (This is one error that SOE/LA should be ashamed of)There is also the B-Wing and other ships that are completely out of continuity.SOE and LA do NOT try to keep with continuity. They out right murder it every chance they get. This is just one quick list. Dathomir alone has so many continuity errors it would fill up a whole page.And I dont blame just SOE. I blame them both. They are both equally guilty.KaiAs I said... everything that has to do with Jedi, period, is borked in the game. I already came right out and said that.
    Dathomir, Droid Labs, Darktrooper project, B Wings, Firesprays, Hmmm none of those have anything to do with jedi. Did you even read the reply or just see the word SITH and assume it was all jedi related?
    Where are the pieces of armor on the tamed Rancors?
    Why dont the force witches ride them?
    How come the Imperial Prison isnt under the control of the clans?
    What is EV-9D9 doing in Jabba's Palace now?
    Why is Max at Jabba's?
    Why is half the people at Mos Eisley's Cantina still there and alive?
    How come we can kill Lord Nyax?
    Why is the capital city of the rebels on Naboo closer to the Emperor then his capital city?
    Shall I go on? The game is full of continuity and not all are jedi. Some are small and some are huge. But they are there.
    Kai

Nope, I read it. And all of that is EU and NOT canonical. So they can do whatever they want with it.

Sig image Pending

• planetsamusplanetsamus Member Posts: 3

blah blah blah

Fascinating.

::::12::

In that case the kid flipping burgers at BK owns the burgers. The security guard sitting in front of the plant OWNS the company. The guy twisting the caps on the Dr Pepper bottles owns Dr Pepper. The guy tearing the tickets at the theater owns the movie. And so on.
    Whether they paid a team directly or got contracted help it is still their game. The only difference is there is a contract. Its still their game. And any judge will agree with me. I know this for a fact because I had to deal with it.
    You can try to justify it all you want Eln but you lose this one and there is no way you can argue against it. Though I am sure you will make another post to attempt that instead of just admitting ur wrong. If William Shatner can legally say he wrote the Tek series then Lucasarts has those games.
    BTW read that post I made again about the games. I never once said they developed the games did I? Hmmmm NO! I said they own the games.
    Kai

Kai? What the hell are you talking about?
    You stated that those games were EVIDENCE that ***LUCASARTS*** can release solid games that are bug free and fun.

I'm sorry. LUCASARTS had ZIP... ZERO... NADA to do with those games other than providing a storyline to the coders. With SWG it's an ongoing project that LucasArts ACTIVELY manages and even provides the QA for. There's a huge difference. If you refuse to see it that is fine. As I said I don't hold SOE blameless either but saying that LucasArts IS NOT part of the problem is just as blind as someone saying that SOE isn't. They're equally at fault.

Sig image Pending

Originally posted by planetsamus
    blah blah blah

Fascinating.

::::12::

LOL

::::16::

Sig image Pending

Kai? What the hell are you talking about?
    You stated that those games were EVIDENCE that ***LUCASARTS*** can release solid games that are bug free and fun.
    I'm sorry. LUCASARTS had ZIP... ZERO... NADA to do with those games other than providing a storyline to the coders. With SWG it's an ongoing project that LucasArts ACTIVELY manages and even provides the QA for. There's a huge difference. If you refuse to see it that is fine. As I said I don't hold SOE blameless either but saying that LucasArts IS NOT part of the problem is just as blind as someone saying that SOE isn't. They're equally at fault.

No it isnt that I refuse to see it. I see perfectly that you cant admit your wrong so your going to sit here and try to argue semantics in hopes I will finally give up.

Listen up. They went out and hired a team to make the game for them. Just like if they interviewed people to come work in their building to do the samething. Only difference is they hired a team and not individuals to make up a team of their own. In this case SOE. In the case of JO and JA it was Ravensoft. For KotoR it was Bioware. And so on. They hired a company instead of an employee. And if they own a game that was made by employees they hired then they own the games made by a company of employees they hired.

And I didnt say they were bug free and fun in my post did I? Since you think I did I want to see in your next post exactly where I said bug free and fun. Come on junior. Lets see it. Just more attempts by you to try to win the discussion. I want to see the quote where I said those games were bug free and fun. Or admit you were wrong.

I said they were a success. Doesnt mean bug free and fun. Fun and bug free is subjective to the person.

You just keep digging that hole there sizzle chest. Want a shovel? I am getting so tired of you keyboard forum warriors wanting to argue semantics when you know your wrong just so you dont have to admit it. "Well he said this and not that. He should be more clear on how he says things" Oh you know dang well what the hell the person means. Or are you that stupid.

So you just post that supposed quote where I said all those other games are bug free and fun. I want to see that in your next reply or an admission. Ok sparky?

Kai

Kai? What the hell are you talking about?You stated that those games were EVIDENCE that ***LUCASARTS*** can release solid games that are bug free and fun.
    No it isnt that I refuse to see it. I see perfectly that you cant admit your wrong so your going to sit here and try to argue semantics in hopes I will finally give up.
    Listen up. They went out and hired a team to make the game for them. Just like if they interviewed people to come work in their building to do the samething. Only difference is they hired a team and not individuals to make up a team of their own. In this case SOE. In the case of JO and JA it was Ravensoft. For KotoR it was Bioware. And so on. They hired a company instead of an employee. And if they own a game that was made by employees they hired then they own the games made by a company of employees they hired.
    And I didnt say they were bug free and fun in my post did I? Since you think I did I want to see in your next post exactly where I said bug free and fun. Come on junior. Lets see it. Just more attempts by you to try to win the discussion. I want to see the quote where I said those games were bug free and fun. Or admit you were wrong.
    I said they were a success. Doesnt mean bug free and fun. Fun and bug free is subjective to the person.
    You just keep digging that hole there sizzle chest. Want a shovel? I am getting so tired of you keyboard forum warriors wanting to argue semantics when you know your wrong just so you dont have to admit it. "Well he said this and not that. He should be more clear on how he says things" Oh you know dang well what the hell the person means. Or are you that stupid.
    So you just post that supposed quote where I said all those other games are bug free and fun. I want to see that in your next reply or an admission. Ok sparky?
    Kai

Ok you said success. Sorry, in my mind when you say 'success' you must mean "bug free and fun" because SWG is more successful than any of those titles by any other definition you choose to use.

It's sold more copies than any of those games (over 1 million sold).
    Made more profit
    Has more followers.
    Has been 'alive' longer.

Please tell me how those are more successful than SWG by your definition? Or was I right that your actual point was that they had fewer bugs and were more fun than SWG? (Which I agree, by the way, they did).

So, please, enlighten me Kai? When you say that those games were "more successful", what exactly did you mean by it? If not that they had fewer bugs (which they did) or were more fun to play (which they were)?

Because that's all I was saying:
    Yes, those games were better. But LucasArts didn't have their fingers in the pie the whole time they were out constantly changing the storylines and handling the QA.

I find it interesting that you are arguing semantics when my entire point is the following:

LucasArts is just as much to blame for the problems with SWG as SOE is

You can point to their previous games all you want. The bottom line is that LucasArts owns SWG. LucasArts produces SWG. LucasArts is responsible for Quality Assurance of SWG. Therefore LucasArts is just as much (personally I think they're more to blame) at fault as SOE.

Why do I think they're more to blame? Because if they wanted to they could fire SOE and hire someone else to run the game. But they haven't, now have they?

Sig image Pending

Kai? What the hell are you talking about?You stated that those games were EVIDENCE that ***LUCASARTS*** can release solid games that are bug free and fun.

And I didnt say they were bug free and fun in my post did I? Since you think I did I want to see in your next post exactly where I said bug free and fun. Come on junior. Lets see it. Just more attempts by you to try to win the discussion. I want to see the quote where I said those games were bug free and fun. Or admit you were wrong.
    You just keep digging that hole there sizzle chest. Want a shovel? I am getting so tired of you keyboard forum warriors wanting to argue semantics when you know your wrong just so you dont have to admit it. "Well he said this and not that. He should be more clear on how he says things" Oh you know dang well what the hell the person means. Or are you that stupid.
    Kai

Ok you said success. Sorry, in my mind when you say 'success' you must mean "bug free and fun" because SWG is more successful than any of those titles by any other definition you choose to use.

It's sold more copies than any of those games (over 1 million sold).
    Made more profit
    Has more followers.
    Has been 'alive' longer.

Please tell me how those are more successful than SWG by your definition? Or was I right that your actual point was that they had fewer bugs and were more fun than SWG? (Which I agree, by the way, they did).

So, please, enlighten me Kai? When you say that those games were "more successful", what exactly did you mean by it? If not that they had fewer bugs (which they did) or were more fun to play (which they were)?

Again putting things in my post that arent there. I said they were successful. Not more successful. But successful. I was arguing the point where Jodo said LA has a majority craptacular games. Yet he considers SWG, a game with 250k subscribers as successful. JO had that many players in its day. KotoR had even more then that. So by his logic if all those other LA games are craptacular then SWG is also. Or he should retract that statement.

Because that's all I was saying:
    Yes, those games were better. But LucasArts didn't have their fingers in the pie the whole time they were out constantly changing the storylines and handling the QA.

I find it interesting that you are arguing semantics when my entire point is the following:

LucasArts is just as much to blame for the problems with SWG as SOE is

You can point to their previous games all you want. The bottom line is that LucasArts owns SWG. LucasArts produces SWG. LucasArts is responsible for Quality Assurance of SWG. Therefore LucasArts is just as much (personally I think they're more to blame) at fault as SOE.

Why do I think they're more to blame? Because if they wanted to they could fire SOE and hire someone else to run the game. But they haven't, now have they?

They may not be able to fire SOE at the moment. I am willing to bet they cant fire SOE until the numbers reach below a certain point or a certain amount of time passes. SOE is contracted and I dont think they would sign a blind contract. Westwood did that once. Go ask them what happens when you sign blind contracts... Oh wait we cant ask them because they got swallowed up by EA Games. heh.

I blame both equally. Lucasarts and SOE because I am a parent and too old & tired to go trying to figure out which of the children actually broke the lamp. "Your both grounded!" That will fix it.

Kai

SWG was an abject failure by any standard.

Gameplay is buggy and boring after TWO YEARS of live and two more of design - Failure
    200,000 subscribers counting people with 5 alts.
    There's NO way they turned a profit.

Shayde - SWG (dead)

imageimage
    It sounds great, so great in fact, I pitty those who canceled :( - Some deluded SWG fanboi who pities me.

Originally posted by Shayde
    SWG was an abject failure by any standard.Gameplay is buggy and boring after TWO YEARS of live and two more of design - Failure

Shayde, kindly stop talking out of your rump. SWG has been out two years. In that time it hasn't EVER gone below 250,000 subscribers. At one point it was over 300k subs. Just a clue: It made back it's development costs within 3-6 months of release. Since then the game has been pure profit. Once you pay off the development costs of an MMO you really are running pure profit once you're above about 10k subscribers. Maybe 20k with the number of servers SWG currently supports. So they've got roughly 12.5 times the number of players they need to be profitable.

Please explain how they aren't turning a profit?

I'm not saying SWG is perfect, it's not. But to sit here and talk out your rear and flat out make up lies about the game is pointless. All you're doing is making yourself look stupid.

Sig image Pending

• ladygatorladygator Member UncommonPosts: 23

I'm a lady and SWG has been the only game that my husband has been able to get me hooked on. I was instantly mezmerized by the game from the day he installed it. We even bought another computer so that I could have my own account.

3 accounts later and we, along with all of our guildmates have quit. We are tired of all the bugs and proffesions that aren't working as intended but never get fixed.

This game has so much to offer if someone could just fix it.

I cannot find another game that compares. Love all the different proffesion options, the houses, player cities, economy, and interactions within the community. The resources are simply amazing. I tried EQ2 and couldn't get over the fact that I had to harvest 1 item at a time and sell off-line.

I would love to see either SWG get fixed or another company that can compete with it at every level, without the bugs, and better CS.

Cause currently, Hubby and most of the guild is playing that new first person shooter and I'm out here with nothing to do,lol.image

• talbgtalbg Member Posts: 1

OMG I was just on a TS last night talking to a long time mmo friend and guild mate of mine.  We went through all the games listed on mmorpg and laughed about what was good and bad about all of them.  We came to SWG and both of us agreed that this was our favorit and most hated mmo we have ever played.  Our biggest issue was that SOE was the developer. 

This is just a funny side note that I needed to post.

• PonziniPonzini Member UncommonPosts: 506

Ok I have played both SWG and WoW for a long time. I played SWG since release on up to a year after and let me tell you. It has WAY WAY to many bugs.

SWG has bugs around every corner. Infact I tried to do some of the quests in SWG only to find 50% of them worked. (this is long after release) The building of shops was not thought out well and the pvp is so god damn retarded its enough to make u go insane. Its far more unbalanced than WoW is. The leveling was to fast and now everywhere you turn there is another jedi which is totally opposite of the star wars story.

WoW did NOT have a bad release. I played it in open beta and from day 1 everyday and I dont see what u guys are talking about. Yes there was lag when I looted. (big deal) There were some queues to get in with the occasional crash. Still able to play normally most of the time. Most MMO games ive played are way WAY worse at launch. Unplayable. Blizzard got their stuff together and fixed the problems. Also keep in mind this is the first MMO Blizzard has done while SOE has had PLENTY of MMO practice to fix this kind of stuff before hand. In Stracraft, Warcraft, and Diablo series Blizzard has always done very well and has had little to no bugs. All around WoW is a very clean cut good game even if you dont like its features or systems.

I think Blizzard is MUCH more professional and dedicated to their players enjoying their game.

I am not a Blizzard fan boy that sticks up for his games. (personally I dont care, when blizzard makes a mistake or comes out with a crap game ill make it known) But I think they would have done a way better job at making SWG making it cleaner and less buggy. Blizzard has a way of planning things out and keeping their cool with their games. They dont rush things and they get it done.

Want to get rid of 50% of the bugs in SWG? At least the majority of the client side bugs? Well there is a way but it has a rough downside. Dont use Windows.

Use Slackware 10.2 and WINE to play SWG. That is what I do and alot of the bugs people complain about from the client end, I dont ever have to deal with.

But there is a downside. Tech support wont even acknowledge your existence. Even if it is something that has nothing to do with the computer, once they find out you dont use Windows, they will tell you there is nothing they can do.

On the up side they seem to want people like me in their beta tests. I got an email for both ROTW and TOW eventhough I cancelled my account both this and last time. And they said they would gladly reactivate my account for the test servers. Odd eh?

Kai

• PonziniPonzini Member UncommonPosts: 506

Want to get rid of 50% of the bugs in SWG? At least the majority of the client side bugs? Well there is a way but it has a rough downside. Dont use Windows.
    Use Slackware 10.2 and WINE to play SWG. That is what I do and alot of the bugs people complain about from the client end, I dont ever have to deal with.
    But there is a downside. Tech support wont even acknowledge your existence. Even if it is something that has nothing to do with the computer, once they find out you dont use Windows, they will tell you there is nothing they can do.
    On the up side they seem to want people like me in their beta tests. I got an email for both ROTW and TOW eventhough I cancelled my account both this and last time. And they said they would gladly reactivate my account for the test servers. Odd eh?
    Kai

I never had much of a problem of game crashes and such. Most just bugs with the game itself like quests, cretures, etc.

Originally posted by Ponzini

Kai

I never had much of a problem of game crashes and such. Most just bugs with the game itself like quests, cretures, etc.

You migth be surprised to know that most of the bugs server side are connected to the database. I remember when I told my uncle about it at game release. Told him about the servers crashing on launch day and such because of the database. He asked which one they used and I told him Oracle. He about fell out of his chair laughing uncontrollably. He told me to mark his words, that SWG would always have serious issues and major problems until they completely changed out the database. And he was right.

They wont change it out because it would probably cost millions and take months. Which shows just how much they really care about the fans huh?

Kai

SWG was an abject failure by any standard.Gameplay is buggy and boring after TWO YEARS of live and two more of design - Failure

Shayde, kindly stop talking out of your rump. SWG has been out two years. In that time it hasn't EVER gone below 250,000 subscribers. At one point it was over 300k subs. Just a clue: It made back it's development costs within 3-6 months of release. Since then the game has been pure profit. Once you pay off the development costs of an MMO you really are running pure profit once you're above about 10k subscribers. Maybe 20k with the number of servers SWG currently supports. So they've got roughly 12.5 times the number of players they need to be profitable.

Please explain how they aren't turning a profit?

I'm not saying SWG is perfect, it's not. But to sit here and talk out your rear and flat out make up lies about the game is pointless. All you're doing is making yourself look stupid.

It is hardly a lie. They refuse to disclose their numbers to the independant site that charts MMORPG subscribers, and all that you have to base it on is their cooked-books shareholder reports where they INCLUDE STATION PASS numbers as their subscribers. This is wrong because a vast majority of Station Pass subscribers are people who pay 6 more a month to have 10 EQ2 character slots. So if you subtract the Station Pass numbers from 250k, you get under 200k.

And the fact that they're losing profit is anagalous to the fact that they reduced staff on SWG twice this year, and now charge for any additional content. THey are also working on ways to sucessfully merge servers, which is a cost cutting measure.

Look, take off your rose colored glasses, they don't suit you.

Shayde - SWG (dead)

imageimage

• ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297

It is hardly a lie. They refuse to disclose their numbers to the independant site that charts MMORPG subscribers, and all that you have to base it on is their cooked-books shareholder reports
    --> If you would care to read the MMORPG chart website you would see that he GETS his numbers from press releases and shareholder reports. And the numbers .. or the relative movement of market shares between MMORPGs .. are quite accurate, even if you add some error range. And he uses info from some informed insiders when he knows them (and their credibility). So ... SOE numbers are as "accurate" as they are available in public  (see also the accuracy rating from the chart website).
    where they INCLUDE STATION PASS numbers as their subscribers. This is wrong because a vast majority of Station Pass subscribers are people who pay 6 more a month to have 10 EQ2 character slots. So if you subtract the Station Pass numbers from 250k, you get under 200k.
    --> Most of the Station Pass members I know (that are coming from EQ) are casual SWG players, so its quite accurate to include them in the number IMHO. They pop in whenever a new expansion or larger patch is out .... and they check it out for a few weeks, before going back to EQ fulltime again.

And the fact that they're losing profit is anagalous to the fact that they reduced staff on SWG twice this year,

--> Please quote your source. Otherwise its just a wild rumour or your personal opinion. If its that, please post it in the rumour forum.

and now charge for any additional content.

--> Like most computer companies .. everyone charges for expansions. SOE has released many large patches with new content  for free where other companies charge money. Sure, they are in for profit. But no more than others IMHO.

THey are also working on ways to sucessfully merge servers, which is a cost cutting measure.

--> Well, then please tell us why they OFFICIALLY

http://forums.station.sony.com/swg/board/message?board.id=generalgame&message.id=48252#M48252

stated that at this time no server merges are planned. I guess you mean the "House packup" feature recently introduced into the game. That this is a preparation for server merges is pure guesswork.

--> Also they are trying to transfer people OUT of some servers (Bria) to other servers ... with free charakter transfers. That does not sound like server merges are imminent.

--> Look, take off that wooden board .... although it DOES suit you ...

--> have fun, Erillion

[quote]Originally posted by Erillion
    [b]

It is hardly a lie. They refuse to disclose their numbers to the independant site that charts MMORPG subscribers, and all that you have to base it on is their cooked-books shareholder reports
    --> If you would care to read the MMORPG chart website you would see that he GETS his numbers from press releases and shareholder reports. And the numbers .. or the relative movement of market shares between MMORPGs .. are quite accurate, even if you add some error range. And he uses info from some informed insiders when he knows them (and their credibility). So ... SOE numbers are as "accurate" as they are available in public (see also the accuracy rating from the chart website).
    where they INCLUDE STATION PASS numbers as their subscribers. This is wrong because a vast majority of Station Pass subscribers are people who pay 6 more a month to have 10 EQ2 character slots. So if you subtract the Station Pass numbers from 250k, you get under 200k.
    --> Most of the Station Pass members I know (that are coming from EQ) are casual SWG players, so its quite accurate to include them in the number IMHO. They pop in whenever a new expansion or larger patch is out .... and they check it out for a few weeks, before going back to EQ fulltime again.
    And the fact that they're losing profit is anagalous to the fact that they reduced staff on SWG twice this year,
    --> Please quote your source. Otherwise its just a wild rumour or your personal opinion. If its that, please post it in the rumour forum.
    and now charge for any additional content.
    --> Like most computer companies .. everyone charges for expansions. SOE has released many large patches with new content for free where other companies charge money. Sure, they are in for profit. But no more than others IMHO.
    THey are also working on ways to sucessfully merge servers, which is a cost cutting measure.
    --> Well, then please tell us why they OFFICIALLY
    [color=yellow][url=http://forums.station.sony.com/swg/board/message?board.id=generalgame&message.id=48252#M48252][/color]
    stated that at this time no server merges are planned. I guess you mean the "House packup" feature recently introduced into the game. That this is a preparation for server merges is pure guesswork.
    --> Also they are trying to transfer people OUT of some servers (Bria) to other servers ... with free charakter transfers. That does not sound like server merges are imminent.
    --> Look, take off that wooden board .... although it DOES suit you ...
    --> have fun, Erillion

[/b][/quote]

Delusion.. table for one.

Man, if you want a list of all the things $OE has DENIED OPENLY then actually did... we could be here all day.

Shayde - SWG (dead)

imageimage