Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What if Blizzard ran SWG ?

Comments

• kaibigan34kaibigan34 Member Posts: 1,508

Originally posted by Jodokai

Now let's take a look at history:
    SOE: Most successful MMO to date (EQ)
    LucasArts: A whole butt-ton of uninspired craptacular games, with a couple that didn't completely suck.
    Now look at the way EQ2 is being run by comparison to SWG. It's night and day. SOE is the same, the only difference is LA.
    El,
    SWG will NEVER be and could NEVER be what WoW is. WoW appeals to the masses. It's checkers. It's a fun game that people can use to blow off steam when they're tired of thinking. The pure scope of SWG means it will never appeal to as many people as WoW does, and to me that's a GOOD thing.

You tell us all in other threads that SWG is successful but you say that the X Wing Series, Dark Forecs series, Battlegrounds, KoToR I & II, Republc Commando, Grim Fandango, Monkey Island, Armed and Dangerous, Full Throttle, Secret Weapons, et are craptacular? If you consider SWG a success then by your logic all of LAs games are a success. Or would you like to retract that previous statement and admit SWG isnt a success? Go look at the list. I found five games that werent a success by your rating. JUST FIVE!!! Gladius, RTX, Both Indiana Jones' games, and Wrath.

I see SOE written all over SWG. Jedi still give me Necro flashbacks from EQ.

And SWG could never be what WoW is because of short sighted fans who accept it as is and make excuses for the developers. And idiotic lazy developers who spend their time thinking up new lies to tell these fans they have literally zero respect for.

Kai

• LanmoragonLanmoragon Member Posts: 994

Originally posted by Phoenixs
    Originally posted by kefkah

1. WoW is not bug free. Played the game since release and it has its share of issues involving many things. Ask a hunter about the lean times to say the least or perhaps a Warsong Alliance party about shaman a few months back. Though to be entirely fair, they do iron out things in measured and paced time and many of the above are fixed but there are still issues. Let us not even mention what it is like to enter the AH in Ironforge on a Friday night.

What you describe there isn't bugs. It's balance issues. All games have them, hell Daoc still recieves balance changes and fixes (Not meant as a bad thing). Balancing is something that goes on through the whole life time of a game.
    If you lag in IF at a Friday night it's your computer not Wow that is the problem. It's like saying EQ2 is a bug infested hell because your 32 mb riva tnt isn't running it smoothly.
    Wow is together with GW and maybe EQ2 the most polished mmo that has hit the market. The game starts and doesn't crash. All quests work. I think a total of 5 quests have been bugged, that isn't much when you think about that the game has 2500-3000 quests. Basicly the whole game is bug free, the only thing they had problems with was the servers.

Back on topic. I don't think blizzard would be able to run SWG. Like people have said before, Lucas arts is forcing SOE to deliver new expasions instead of fixing bugs. All developers are working on the expasions and are forced to put bug fixing as a secondary. So I think the result would be the same if Blizzard would run it or not. It's more Lucas arts that is the problem.

What the hell drugs are you on? A total of 5 quests bugged? I dont think you have done very many quests. The game starts and doesnt crash? Take a look at the tech support forums. Pages and pages full of people with problems that they have and never get a fix for. Exploits in the BG's, boats dropping people in the middle of the ocean, frequent server downtimes during prime time(depends on server). The list goes on.

Originally posted by Lanmoragon

What the hell drugs are you on? A total of 5 quests bugged? I dont think you have done very many quests. The game starts and doesnt crash? Take a look at the tech support forums. Pages and pages full of people with problems that they have and never get a fix for. Exploits in the BG's, boats dropping people in the middle of the ocean, frequent server downtimes during prime time(depends on server). The list goes on.

Well come on. It is a tech support forum. Show me a tech support forum, for a released game, that isnt empty. I dare you.

But SWG has its own list of nasty bugs. Some going as far back as Beta 1 and still no love. The general excuse is they cant fix them. Well after 2 and a half years I think its time to get someone who can.

Kai

• haxxjoohaxxjoo Member Posts: 924

But let's compare the complexity of the games shall we?

WoW: Pick a single class, hope it isn't gimped now or later, play through a bunch of missions tha are pretty much all the same. I could get the same thing from Diablo II, same game just different quests and graphics.

SWG: Pick any skills I want. If some get/are gimped drop them and learn something else. I get board fighting, I can craft with arguably the best crafting system ever made (and if you think the new loot is better than what a WS can make, you need to find a new WS).

You act like just becoming a crafter is sooo easy.  It is the most overly demanding set of professions ever constructed.  The resource requirements alone will run you in the 10's of millions of credits just to make 1 descent set of armor that someone will buy.  Guns you can loot the best guns in the game.  Droids? Who uses droids? Clothing? Never decays (as in no one really buys it often). Shipwright? You can get loot parts that are better then anything you can construct and most people just want you to re crap for a few hundred credits.  Smugglers? No need to even comment on that class.  Sony ruined crafting in this game long ago. Don't act like its great.  Also because its so demanding and expensive it has become server monopolized by guilds.  IE want to craft. You HAVE to be in a guild with resources. 

I get sick of that, I can RUN MY OWN CITY. That gets old, I can head to space. Still not enough, I can go fishing, dancing, Decorate my house, etc, etc.

Ya I really need to cyber fish, cyber go dancing, or cyber decorate my house.  If that was how was going to spend my video game time I would just do those things or play

Get bored with the same quests just different names in WoW, well I can click a couple of buttons for the lame crafting system,...or play Diablo II.

I don't play wow, but I wasn't aware feeding resources into a factory using a premade schematic was "exciting" and "interactive" gameplay. I never met a crafter thrilled about making the same thing 100 times and getting all those great tells from noobs.  SWG crafting so great? Please.  At least pretend you have an idea of the common things swg has wrong with its crafting process.

The pure scope of everything that is possible with SWG means there are going to be more bugs, I mean think about it: What would be harder to code Tic-Tac-Toe (WoW) or Axis and Allies (SWG).

If wow is anything like my guild wars experience I found the Depth of combat and abilites to FAR FAR exceed that of SWG POST CU.  Post CU all you do is auto attack 1 special.  At least with guild wars the use of combo's and skills makes a difference. In swg's you still are spamming 1 special adding a root or snare or kd in every so often.  Not deep for me.  I find grouping to be unimportant.  Group make-up matters little.  All that matters is size and level.  In guild wars and wow I assume group class composition is important to success.  SOE doesn't do that with its skills system.  So you get walking god-mode classes.

Oh and if you say you haven't lagged in WoW you either:
    1) Have never played WoW
    or
    2) are lying.

Ya and so what? Lag on swg is still an issue and it has NOTHING to do with my pc.  I lag all the time because SOE's coding causes choppy framerates. IE using mounts, dismounting, using vehicles, entering exiting cities, crossing server boundries, entering areas with more then 10 active players.  That is so lame to make it out like swg has no lag. 

If it wasn't a star wars game you would have quit years ago.  Its all this game offers that anyone plays for.  I challenge anyone to say they play swg for any other reason. Such as guild wars or wow players who have a few mmo titles in that genre of game yet choose a particular option.  SWG is a perfect example of a monopoly game.  If Lucas arts had 2 mmo's for star wars.  Maybe set in different time frames but run by different game companies I bet you 100 bucks soe's would be gone.

• ShaydeShayde Member Posts: 4,529

Wow... Never underestimate the power of a fanboi.

Especially blaming Lucasarts for any problems! Lucasarts did NOTHING towards the design or implimentation of anything in this game. The engine was 100% $OE. The piss-poor customer service and lies to the community were 100% $OE. The squandering of the license was 100% $OE.

It took LA kicking them in the asses for them to even introduce JTL. Something they promised SINCE LAUNCH.

Then the CU was just $OE's way to save cash. By changing the engine to be like EQ2, they save on designers. Then they push not one.. but two lame expansions that SHOULD have been content as a cheap money grab.

Blizzard and NC Soft are sucessful because of their talents and wonderful games. $OE is sucessful IN SPITE of their best efforts not to be.

Shayde - SWG (dead)
    Proud member of the Cabal.

imageimage
    It sounds great, so great in fact, I pitty those who canceled :( - Some deluded SWG fanboi who pities me.
    I don't like it when you say things. - A Vanguard fan who does too.
    09f911029d74e35bd84156c5635688c0

Originally posted by Shayde

Especially blaming Lucasarts for any problems! Lucasarts did NOTHING towards the design or implimentation of anything in this game. The engine was 100% $OE. The piss-poor customer service and lies to the community were 100% $OE. The squandering of the license was 100% $OE.
    It took LA kicking them in the asses for them to even introduce JTL. Something they promised SINCE LAUNCH.
    Then the CU was just $OE's way to save cash. By changing the engine to be like EQ2, they save on designers. Then they push not one.. but two lame expansions that SHOULD have been content as a cheap money grab.
    Blizzard and NC Soft are sucessful because of their talents and wonderful games. $OE is sucessful IN SPITE of their best efforts not to be.

Someone correct me if I am wrong here. But last I checked the engine came from EA Games and used to be UO2.

I dont blame one. I blame both of them. They are both equally guilty of SWG. One squeezed the trigger and the other was shouting "SHOOT HIM NOW!"

Kai

• grapevinegrapevine Member UncommonPosts: 1,927

I agree, you seem to be a classic case of one for WoW.

No lag in WoW, lol.  What do you do, play on a private server.  Lag was the reason I stopped PvP on WoW.  Dieing because all you can do is auto attack due to lag, then having to wait for ages the server to realise you had clicked on revive.  Or attacking someone only to discover the server hasn't informed your client that they are now 100m away.  Also the number of times people would fall down the pits in IF, because their screens would lock.

You clearly know next to nothing about the state of SWG.  Grevious, is not in the game.  Its just a cyborg in the same get up, if you had bothered reading the quests.  As already stated you are just dreaming up your own bs.  Alderan as the next expantion, lol.

SWG does have issues, but so does WoW.  Actually I would go as far as saying WoW has more serious ones these days.  I can't remember the number of times all my quests invovled crossing the ocean, but wasn't able to because all the ship did was lag out and drop me in the middle of the sea.  WoW also has next to no complexity in it, its a straight forward quest to quest game.  Without quests and battlegrounds WoW has zero content, which is something you can't say about SWG (without lieing).  WoW is good for what it is, but it certainly doesn't have a halo.

Where is your proof about LA and SoE?  Have you been reading Supershadow's website again?  Its also a well known fact that LA take responsibility for QA.

As for NCSoft having good games. lol.  They are sucessful because they cater to the Asian market.  The only western subscription game they have that is sucessful is CoH.  Which while personally I would put it way above SWG (as being fun), like Guild Wars its more of a pure multiplayer game not a mmorpg and only has a subscription base of around 120k.  What will make it a mmorpg is CoV.

• JodokaiJodokai Member Posts: 1,621

Wow... Never underestimate the power of a fanboi. Especially blaming Lucasarts for any problems! Lucasarts did NOTHING towards the design or implimentation of anything in this game. The engine was 100% $OE. The piss-poor customer service and lies to the community were 100% $OE. The squandering of the license was 100% $OE. It took LA kicking them in the asses for them to even introduce JTL. Something they promised SINCE LAUNCH. Then the CU was just $OE's way to save cash. By changing the engine to be like EQ2, they save on designers. Then they push not one.. but two lame expansions that SHOULD have been content as a cheap money grab.Blizzard and NC Soft are sucessful because of their talents and wonderful games. $OE is sucessful IN SPITE of their best efforts not to be.
    Just like I should never underestimate how clueless you are. I suggest you go read the credits to the game samrt guy. QUALITY ASSURANCE IS AND WAS LUCAS ARTS RESPONSIBILITY. If you don't know what that means well I can't help you.

As far as NCSoft successful: Let's see CoH has less people than either SWG or EQ2, and the only reason Lineage I and II are so popular is because they do NOTHING about the farming that goes on there. If the Chinese weren't making so much money off ebay, they'd leave too.

• WeppsWepps Member Posts: 1,322

Originally posted by Jodokai
    Wow... Never underestimate the power of a fanboi. Especially blaming Lucasarts for any problems! Lucasarts did NOTHING towards the design or implimentation of anything in this game. The engine was 100% $OE. The piss-poor customer service and lies to the community were 100% $OE. The squandering of the license was 100% $OE. It took LA kicking them in the asses for them to even introduce JTL. Something they promised SINCE LAUNCH. Then the CU was just $OE's way to save cash. By changing the engine to be like EQ2, they save on designers. Then they push not one.. but two lame expansions that SHOULD have been content as a cheap money grab.Blizzard and NC Soft are sucessful because of their talents and wonderful games. $OE is sucessful IN SPITE of their best efforts not to be.
    Just like I should never underestimate how clueless you are. I suggest you go read the credits to the game samrt guy. QUALITY ASSURANCE IS AND WAS LUCAS ARTS RESPONSIBILITY. If you don't know what that means well I can't help you.

As far as NCSoft successful: Let's see CoH has less people than either SWG or EQ2, and the only reason Lineage I and II are so popular is because they do NOTHING about the farming that goes on there. If the Chinese weren't making so much money off ebay, they'd leave too.

NCSoft does indeed cater to the hardcore farmers. Being based in Korea, this is the player type they most address. Chinese Farmer Sweatshops are literally becoming a real industry.

The initial brilliance of City of Heroes rapidly faded as NCSoft enforced the grind onto the game. To make matters worse, there is almost no content whatsoever there. Lack of rewards for tremendous risk, an increasing feeling of helplessness among Super Heroes as they level up, and enforced grouping cause me to think that the entire concept of the game was lost on the publisher, and after the cleanest release of any MMO ever, it has degraded to a worthless pile of junk.

The truth hurts the players.

The MMO will not come into existence without the publisher, and the publisher is clueless as to the needs of the player.

Even Blizzard had to face up to Vivendi. They could have published that game themselves, but they made several errors in judgment not the least of which was to seek a publisher for their product, which led to many many mistakes in beta and release from which they have not yet recovered.

Lucas Licensing is the SWG publisher. Don't forget that. What they say, goes, under any and all circumstances.

SOE's job is to make it happen. After 5 years, they are just NOW getting around to it.

The combination of the two critical elements here has shown more of the negative than the positive in the relationship between publisher and developer since the game went into production 5 years ago.

What I see now is individual teams, or a single team of developers doing it anyway, regardless of Koster's constant complaining that "making a game is hard", and regardless of Lucas' constant interference in matters of game play where they don't really belong. It seems to me they are doing it...just for the sake of quality, and to hell with the business managers, the poets, and the clueless.

I have high hopes for SWG in the near future.

"For one who seeks what he cannot obtain suffers torture; one who has what is not desirable is cheated; and one who does not seek what is worth seeking is diseased." - Augustine of Hippo

Originally posted by Wepps
    I have high hopes for SWG in the near future.

Wow.. that's blind optimism if I've ever seen it.

As far as being a fan of Wow... I'm not. Played it for a couple months and quit because I don't like fantasy based games. The game I played was

1. Stable
    2. Lagless
    3. Well Designed - beautiful graphics.
    4. Had NO issues with.

And I'm talking about a game that was 4 months out from launch when I quit.

Now contrast that with SWG.

1. Things broken SINCE BETA TWO YEARS AGO are still broken
    2. The CU was an abject failure. Made combat boring, and made 6 professions useless. Not just tough.. USELESS.
    3. Lag is HELL. Even in low pop areas.
    4. Various quests broken with no fix in sight.

Anyone who can actually defend $OE and how they bungled SWG is either on the payroll, or suffering from Battered-player syndrome. It's like battered spouse syndrome, where the player makes excuses for the designer because they're not abusing them as hard today.

An example... at the fanfest, they showed a video of a starship boarding a star destroyer, and the character raiding and destroying it. BRILLIANT look on how fun they could make this game... and it had a LOT of people hanging on to SWG because they couldn't wait for this. Great non-jedi GCW based content. Well last week they said the film was NOT AN EXAMPLE OF ANYTHING THEY ARE WORKING ON. That's a bait and switch lie they foisted on us.

One of many.

Yeah.. I know that Necrosis is a Grievous clone... but MY GOD... that is just B.S. justification for a continuity error. Grievous was supposed to be unique... but they added a copy just so he'd look good on the BOX. There's tons of continuity errors... thousands if you count the jedi individually. The next expansion is a huge continuity error... Obi-Wan HELPING OTHER JEDI? When there's supposed TO BE FOUR?!?!

If $OE listened to their subscribers and did what the community wanted, we wouldn't be here. We wouldn't have Mustifar, or Grievous, or 100000 Jedi. We'd have the game we were promised at launch, not this travesty.

Oh, and the Alderaan comment was sarcasm you knob.

Shayde - SWG (dead)

imageimage
    It sounds great, so great in fact, I pitty those who canceled :( - Some deluded SWG fanboi who pities me.

• ElnatorElnator Member Posts: 6,077

Originally posted by kaibigan34
    Originally posted by Jodokai Now let's take a look at history:SOE: Most successful MMO to date (EQ)LucasArts: A whole butt-ton of uninspired craptacular games, with a couple that didn't completely suck.
    Now look at the way EQ2 is being run by comparison to SWG. It's night and day. SOE is the same, the only difference is LA.
    El,SWG will NEVER be and could NEVER be what WoW is. WoW appeals to the masses. It's checkers. It's a fun game that people can use to blow off steam when they're tired of thinking. The pure scope of SWG means it will never appeal to as many people as WoW does, and to me that's a GOOD thing.
    You tell us all in other threads that SWG is successful but you say that the X Wing Series, Dark Forecs series, Battlegrounds, KoToR I & II, Republc Commando, Grim Fandango, Monkey Island, Armed and Dangerous, Full Throttle, Secret Weapons, et are craptacular? If you consider SWG a success then by your logic all of LAs games are a success. Or would you like to retract that previous statement and admit SWG isnt a success? Go look at the list. I found five games that werent a success by your rating. JUST FIVE!!! Gladius, RTX, Both Indiana Jones' games, and Wrath.
    I see SOE written all over SWG. Jedi still give me Necro flashbacks from EQ.
    And SWG could never be what WoW is because of short sighted fans who accept it as is and make excuses for the developers. And idiotic lazy developers who spend their time thinking up new lies to tell these fans they have literally zero respect for.
    Kai

I hate to break this to you but:
    LucasArts didn't write ANY of those games except XWing series. X-Wing-Alliance wasn't written by them either. Take a closer look at who wrote those. It WAS NOT LucasArts. They haven't released a decent game in years..... hell over a decade really. The only games that WERE good were written FOR Them by another company. All they did was sign on the dotted line. SWG they actually try to manage.

I'm not about to say SOE is blameless regarding SWG's problems. But you can't blame SWG's problems completely on SOE and have any credibility when all you need to do is look at the back of the damn box and see that the QA guy is a LucasArts employee and that LucasArts is the publisher which means that what they say goes.. Only SWG has the plethora of issues that it does as well, of all the products that SOE produces only SWG has the *NUMEROUS* issues that it has had over the years...

Why?

Because SWG is run by a two-headed hydra that tries to think with both heads and winds up confused.

Currently Playing: Dungeons and Dragons Online.
    Sig image Pending
    Still in: A couple Betas

• DarktongueDarktongue Member Posts: 276

Still remains that Blizzard made a great game and havent advanced it much if any.

SOE made a so so game and have advanced much much more than blizzard.

Not to say one is better than the other but  you cannot stand still in the MMO game market. Blizzard are now droppin behind and  need to shift their butts.

Originally posted by Darktongue
    Still remains that Blizzard made a great game and havent advanced it much if any.
    SOE made a so so game and have advanced much much more than blizzard.

Not to say one is better than the other but you cannot stand still in the MMO game market. Blizzard are now droppin behind and need to shift their butts.

Any facts to back your opinion? Blizzard made a game that is still far superior to SWG no matter how much half-assed work $OE has put into it.

Shayde - SWG (dead)

imageimage

• planetsamusplanetsamus Member Posts: 3

Ya know.. I find it pretty amusing that someone would use this as an arguement point:

Originally posted by Elnator
    I'm sorry, you obviously don't play.

and then turn around and say some asinine garbage like this:

LOL now you're just making stuff up. SWG is pretty good about sticking to continuity as far as in-game content goes. The only things that really violate the 'timeline' are Jedi and non-human Empire members. Other than that the GAME sticks to the storyline pretty well. I question some of the things that were added but if you READ The content they are pretty careful to stay inside the timeline and explain any odd things very well. Stuff from EP1-3 would still be around during EP IV-VI. Duh... The Millenium Falcon exsisted prior to EP1 if you read the source material. She was OLD when Han Got her. And that was when the Empire was just recently formed..

Serious, what the hell? Have you ever even actually SEEN a Star Wars film? I'm talking about actually watching it, not just having your mommy buy you the 32 page pop-up book.

I say no.. and if you say I'm wrong, then I insist that you are either a liar, or you suffer psychotic delusions.

Now.. before you try and even formulate a comeback about who plays what.. I'm gonna lay this out.. I've played SWG since Beta... and WoW since Beta... but this isn't about game quality, in terms of mechanics... you brought up the ridiculous notion that SWG somehow remains faithful to the SW story.

Let's not even talk about EU for a moment, since George Lucas himself has stated (as some like to use as their arguement) that "if it's not in the movies, it's not canon". Fine.

Before I educate you, perhaps it's best to remind you of exactly WHEN in the Star Wars timeline SWG is supposedly set.

It's been stated that it's set between the events of EPIV: ANH and EPV: ESB. Now, as anyone who actually watched ESB can tell you, there was an incident involving a Bounty Hunter on Ord Mantell shortly before the Battle of Hoth (this incident is why Han had to leave the company of the Rebellion and pay up his debts). This run-in happened within the 6 months prior to ESB. In SWG, if you meet and speak with Han Solo, he mentions this incident on Ord Mantell. This means that SWG is set in the 6 months prior to the Battle of Hoth.

Now.. let's look at just how GREAT SWG sticks to continuity, other than the 235098714320598 Jedi running rampant in every city of every planet.

If it's only 6 months, then WHY is every high ranking Rebel in some remote ghetto facility, rather than actively setting up on Hoth? Mon Mothma and Ackbar are chillin' on Dantooine, in a base that was deserted BEFORE ANH. Luke and Dodonna are hanging out in the ALREADY CLOSED AND DESERTED Massassi temple on Yavin VI. And then of course, Leia and the gang are just killin time in a "secret" base on Corellia. Right...

And oh hey, check it out... Vader and Palpatine are just hanging out on NABOO!!! No Executor for Vader... no construction of the second Death Star taking place. Iif you'd actually DONE the quests in SWG, you'd know that all the Imperial NPCs that mention it talk about it being in the "planning stage".. .you're telling me that they built the 2nd Death Star in under 1 year? It's only 9 months between ESB and ROTJ.

These are just surface things, and glaring surface things. In fact, I don't know why I should even bother explaining the rest of the ways that SWG has completely 100% strayed from anything even REMOTELY resembling continuity... it would make more sense to explain quantum physics to a house plant.

You sir, are a fool. A worthless, uneducated, uninformed, clueless fool... and you have no concept of what Star Wars actually is.

That is all.

• admriker444admriker444 Member Posts: 1,526

As far as being a fan of Wow... I'm not. Played it for a couple months and quit because I don't like fantasy based games. The game I played was

1. Stable
    2. Lagless
    3. Well Designed - beautiful graphics.
    4. Had NO issues with.

And I'm talking about a game that was 4 months out from launch when I quit.

Agree, Im no fanboy of WoW either. Its a shallow simplistic game with an awful player community. However the dang thing actually works. The quests work. Spells work. There arent entire professions COMPLETELY broken. There arent quests like the Mining ship one in SWG that are broken for months. The game may not be my cup of tea but at least its playable.

Now contrast that with SWG.

1. Things broken SINCE BETA TWO YEARS AGO are still broken

My chief complain and the reason why Im convinced SOE is at fault. Forget Lucas for a minute and look at other mmorpgs by SOE like EQ1. There are things in that game busted since their launch 5 years ago. So this isnt a new behavior from SOE. This is their managerial decision to ignore things that cost money to do. I would say 30-40% of all quests in SWG are broken or very buggy. Compared to WoW where i made two different toons to lvl 60 and found only one quest that was bugged and its no comparison to whom is superior.

2. The CU was an abject failure. Made combat boring, and made 6 professions useless. Not just tough.. USELESS.

CU is a complete joke and a lie. It was never meant to "fix" things like SOE promised us. It was designed by SOE to attract and appeal (tiggs own words spoken to me at celebration 3) to a more broad audience as she said. It was also dumbed down to simplify costs and maintenance of the game. Ironically its probably more of a headache now for SOE with the tons of new bugs and broken professions it created.

3. Lag is HELL. Even in low pop areas.
    4. Various quests broken with no fix in sight.

gungan sacred place broken since beta. the mining ship broken for months. hundreds more busted to name a few

Anyone who can actually defend $OE and how they bungled SWG is either on the payroll, or suffering from Battered-player syndrome. It's like battered spouse syndrome, where the player makes excuses for the designer because they're not abusing them as hard today.

agree, its like saying "its my fault he hit me, i shouldnt have said that so its my fault" anyone who's played soe games for very long ends up lowering their expectations. And SOE knows this and plays on it. For example, SOE will let slip their plans for a merchant nerf (limiting the amount on vendors to free up dataspace). They then "listen" to the community and soften the nerf up a bit which was their plan all along. The players then thank the devs for listening to them...how pathetic. This is something many major corporations do when dealing out bad news, its classic public relations 101 stuff folks.

An example... at the fanfest, they showed a video of a starship boarding a star destroyer, and the character raiding and destroying it. BRILLIANT look on how fun they could make this game... and it had a LOT of people hanging on to SWG because they couldn't wait for this. Great non-jedi GCW based content. Well last week they said the film was NOT AN EXAMPLE OF ANYTHING THEY ARE WORKING ON. That's a bait and switch lie they foisted on us.

Yep another example of dangling that carrot. I know probably 20 players that stuck it out because of that video alone. The promise of capitol ships is what kept them playing and paying. Then SOE says oh that was just something a dev was playing around with but no plans on actually developing it.

One of many.

Yeah.. I know that Necrosis is a Grievous clone... but MY GOD... that is just B.S. justification for a continuity error. Grievous was supposed to be unique... but they added a copy just so he'd look good on the BOX. There's tons of continuity errors... thousands if you count the jedi individually. The next expansion is a huge continuity error... Obi-Wan HELPING OTHER JEDI? When there's supposed TO BE FOUR?!?!

If $OE listened to their subscribers and did what the community wanted, we wouldn't be here. We wouldn't have Mustifar, or Grievous, or 100000 Jedi. We'd have the game we were promised at launch, not this travesty.

The only time SOE listens now is when thousands quit. Look at the much needed xp nerf to slow the game down. In my opinion definitely needed to slow down the masses from reaching jedi. Everyone screamed (mostly the WoW kiddies who came over to play after the movie) except the vets who knew it was necessary. Now all that remain are players from the instant oatmeal fast-food generation who want perfect pearls and a full template jedi in 2 weeks.  And SOE caters to them now with more stupid expansions and simplistic content that nullifies crafters goods.

ps. im currently testing beta for the next expansion cause i hoped it would give us something new to do. I cant comment but lets just say its typical SOE in action.

• DominaxDominax Member Posts: 62
    If blizzard ran swg it would be the exact same,lack luster customer service.as they say "you cannot polish a turd" in which WOW and SWG are just that! only thing somewhat decent in swg that isn't there for wow is the community,Too many little kids in wow spouting non sense in barrens chat and such

LOL now you're just making stuff up. SWG is pretty good about sticking to continuity as far as in-game content goes. The only things that really violate the 'timeline' are Jedi and non-human Empire members. Other than that the GAME sticks to the storyline pretty well. I question some of the things that were added but if you READ The content they are pretty careful to stay inside the timeline and explain any odd things very well. Stuff from EP1-3 would still be around during EP IV-VI. Duh... The Millenium Falcon exsisted prior to EP1 if you read the source material. She was OLD when Han Got her. And that was when the Empire was just recently formed..

What about the blockade around Dathomir that wont let anyone down to the planet or off the planet? I get there and leave unhindered all the time. Nightsisters didnt come about until around ROTJ. Until then it was all Singing Mountain Clan.

The Dark Trooper project wasnt started until after ROTJ.

Go to the Droid Lab on Lok. Its the Dungeon on the south side of volcano. You see Droidekas and Assassin Droids. This is all nice and good except there were only 5 ever made. So what is with this other 18 standing there?

"Only two Sith there are, a master and an apprentice." You think so Yoda? You better go back to Dathomir. There are soldiers and such running around all over the place. (This is one error that SOE/LA should be ashamed of)

There is also the B-Wing and other ships that are completely out of continuity.

SOE and LA do NOT try to keep with continuity. They out right murder it every chance they get. This is just one quick list. Dathomir alone has so many continuity errors it would fill up a whole page.

And I dont blame just SOE. I blame them both. They are both equally guilty.

Kai

• planetsamusplanetsamus Member Posts: 3

Originally posted by kaibigan34
    Go to the Droid Lab on Lok. Its the Dungeon on the south side of volcano. You see Droidekas and Assassin Droids. This is all nice and good except there were only 5 ever made. So what is with this other 18 standing there?

Yeah, that's a great one.. or how about the fact that IG class Assassin droids spawn as friggin Bounty Hunter trainers?

"I sure wish I had better investigation skills for tracking my marks... I know, I'll go ask IG-88 for a lesson"

/bwahahaha

Oh.. and how about Vader giving away his PERSONAL Jedi Starfighter to any chump that comes along and kills a few rebels?

And just wait til the next explansion, Obi-Wan the Tourist Guide.. where Obi-Wan Kenobi guides HUNDREDS (thousands according to SOE) of Jedi on quests across Mustafar, even though just a few months later he tells Yoda that "that boy" (Luke) is their "last hope".

Anyone that thinks that SWG has continuity must be eagerly awaiting the Peter Jackson's retelling of The Hobbit.. where he gives Bilbo a cybernetic arm and lets the dwarves all fly around in the Starship Yamato, as they kill Smaug with telekenesis and kung fu.

Yah there is supposed to be a destroy on site order for IG-88. Vader ignored it but everyone else didnt. I think 2 of the models were killed because of it.

Basically I think the developers, SOE and LA, look at continuity as a minor hurtle. "Whats that? It goes against the continuity? Just get my 3 year old son to write a work around like he did with Greivous. The players will buy it, their sensabilities are worthless anyway."

I have no problem with some continuity errors. Its going to happen. I can accept it to a small degree. But when you step outside the Theed starport and see Vader getting trying to give a speech to the troops, while all around him light jedi are goosing him, giving him wet willies, and otherwise harrassing him then something is messed up. You drive out to your house and see some Sith gangmembers attacking a player because the old man visited him then MAYDAY!!!!!!

Kai

• JodokaiJodokai Member Posts: 1,621

Originally posted by haxxjoo

But let's compare the complexity of the games shall we?
    WoW: Pick a single class, hope it isn't gimped now or later, play through a bunch of missions tha are pretty much all the same. I could get the same thing from Diablo II, same game just different quests and graphics.
    SWG: Pick any skills I want. If some get/are gimped drop them and learn something else. I get board fighting, I can craft with arguably the best crafting system ever made (and if you think the new loot is better than what a WS can make, you need to find a new WS).
    You act like just becoming a crafter is sooo easy.  It is the most overly demanding set of professions ever constructed.  The resource requirements alone will run you in the 10's of millions of credits just to make 1 descent set of armor that someone will buy.  Guns you can loot the best guns in the game.  Droids? Who uses droids? Clothing? Never decays (as in no one really buys it often). Shipwright? You can get loot parts that are better then anything you can construct and most people just want you to re crap for a few hundred credits.  Smugglers? No need to even comment on that class.  Sony ruined crafting in this game long ago. Don't act like its great.  Also because its so demanding and expensive it has become server monopolized by guilds.  IE want to craft. You HAVE to be in a guild with resources. 
    Again, if you are looting things that are as good as crafters can make, you need to find a crafter that knows what he's doing. I've made my living for 2 years now being a Droid Engineer, and am a very rich puppy. Yes being a crafter is demanding and it's tough and you have to think, that's why I like it and why I don't like WoW.

I get sick of that, I can RUN MY OWN CITY. That gets old, I can head to space. Still not enough, I can go fishing, dancing, Decorate my house, etc, etc.
    Ya I really need to cyber fish, cyber go dancing, or cyber decorate my house.  If that was how was going to spend my video game time I would just do those things or play
    Well that's you. the point is in SWG I have the option to do those things. In WoW you don't. that adds more depth to SWG and lets you have an effect on the enviornment.
    Get bored with the same quests just different names in WoW, well I can click a couple of buttons for the lame crafting system,...or play Diablo II.
    I don't play wow, but I wasn't aware feeding resources into a factory using a premade schematic was "exciting" and "interactive" gameplay. I never met a crafter thrilled about making the same thing 100 times and getting all those great tells from noobs.  SWG crafting so great? Please.  At least pretend you have an idea of the common things swg has wrong with its crafting process.
    Wow first you say how complex the crafting system is, then you say it isn't so which is it? You are obviously clueless, as one of the highest praises the game gets is from its crafting system.
    The pure scope of everything that is possible with SWG means there are going to be more bugs, I mean think about it: What would be harder to code Tic-Tac-Toe (WoW) or Axis and Allies (SWG).
    If wow is anything like my guild wars experience I found the Depth of combat and abilites to FAR FAR exceed that of SWG POST CU.  Post CU all you do is auto attack 1 special.  At least with guild wars the use of combo's and skills makes a difference. In swg's you still are spamming 1 special adding a root or snare or kd in every so often.  Not deep for me.  I find grouping to be unimportant.  Group make-up matters little.  All that matters is size and level.  In guild wars and wow I assume group class composition is important to success.  SOE doesn't do that with its skills system.  So you get walking god-mode classes.
    Please name the non-jedi walking god-mode class post CU in SWG, but again you missed the point of the post: In WoW if you don't want to fight, all you can do is log off. It's all they have in the game, so of course it's well developed. When that's all a game offeres, they have the time to make it better.
    Oh and if you say you haven't lagged in WoW you either:
    1) Have never played WoW
    or
    2) are lying.
    Ya and so what? Lag on swg is still an issue and it has NOTHING to do with my pc.  I lag all the time because SOE's coding causes choppy framerates. IE using mounts, dismounting, using vehicles, entering exiting cities, crossing server boundries, entering areas with more then 10 active players.  That is so lame to make it out like swg has no lag.  ]
    You need to imporve your reading comprehension. I NEVER said SWG doesn't lag. I will tell you it lags FAR FAR less than WoW. I will also show you screen shots of my computer with all video settings on max fighting at the FS villiage with TONS of other people fighting with me. If I knew how do do a video capture would have. That isn't really the point though, you see someone else lied and said they never lagged in WoW, I corrected them.
    If it wasn't a star wars game you would have quit years ago.  Its all this game offers that anyone plays for.  I challenge anyone to say they play swg for any other reason. Such as guild wars or wow players who have a few mmo titles in that genre of game yet choose a particular option.  SWG is a perfect example of a monopoly game.  If Lucas arts had 2 mmo's for star wars.  Maybe set in different time frames but run by different game companies I bet you 100 bucks soe's would be gone.
    Actually you'd be wrong. I think every Star Wars movie after Empire Strikes Back was garbage. So the Star Wars name doesn't hold any mystical facination with me. What I like about SWG is the depth of the game. I can't think of anything you can do in any other MMO that I can't do in SWG (possible exception is EVE, but I've never played it) and I can think of a lot I can do in SWG that you can't do in any other game

I hate to break this to you but:
    LucasArts didn't write ANY of those games except XWing series. X-Wing-Alliance wasn't written by them either. Take a closer look at who wrote those. It WAS NOT LucasArts. They haven't released a decent game in years..... hell over a decade really. The only games that WERE good were written FOR Them by another company. All they did was sign on the dotted line. SWG they actually try to manage.

That is grasping at straws at best Elnator. Saying those games arent LAs because someone else wrote them....?

It doesnt matter if they pay a direct employee or contract another company. It IS still their game plain and simple.  I guaruntee you that and it holds up in any court of law in 70% of the world when the lawsuits start flying. "You contracted them to do it? Well your just as much to blame so bend over and get ready for the big show."

Kai

Originally posted by planetsamus

And just wait til the next explansion, Obi-Wan the Tourist Guide.. where Obi-Wan Kenobi guides HUNDREDS (thousands according to SOE) of Jedi on quests across Mustafar, even though just a few months later he tells Yoda that "that boy" (Luke) is their "last hope".

If you've met all those arse-hole Jedi we have on the servers, Obi-Wan would be right. Luke IS the last hope, because all those knobs are USELESS.

Oh and I'd like to add to whoever said weaponsmiths aren't being put out of business by the drops? I am friends with the BEST weaponsmith on the server, and he can't match my Trando pistol. Not with all the krayt drops and uber resources in the world. Now with the ADK on it, I NEVER need another gun.

And THAT quest is soloable by a cl54.

Shipwrights can make NOTHING that compares with the Bellebub or Jedi fighter. You get the Jedi fighter mucho-easily from Vader... easily an under cl40 quest.

Shayde - SWG (dead)

imageimage

If you've met all those arse-hole Jedi we have on the servers, Obi-Wan would be right. Luke IS the last hope, because all those knobs are USELESS.

That is what happens when the developers let anyone be a jedi out of fairness. Well it ruins the experiance for other paying customers. But hey at least you can pay your monthly bill knowing SOE and LA are fair right?

What I wouldn't do for a pre-cu non-jedi server.

Oh man... I can dream, can't I?

Shayde - SWG (dead)

imageimage

• ElnatorElnator Member Posts: 6,077

Originally posted by planetsamus
    Ya know.. I find it pretty amusing that someone would use this as an arguement point:

I'm sorry, you obviously don't play.

and then turn around and say some asinine garbage like this:

Oh wow this is going to be fun :)

Serious, what the hell? Have you ever even actually SEEN a Star Wars film? I'm talking about actually watching it, not just having your mommy buy you the 32 page pop-up book.

My mommy? Seriously, grow up and learn to have a debate without insulting people. My "mommy" is in her 60's and I'm over 30 myself. I find it humorous that people who hate this game find it necessary to hurl insults like this.

In answer to your question: Yes, actually, I've seen each of the original movies between original releases, VCR, re-release, HBO and the DVD's about hmm... 18 times each... minimum.... the new ones I've only seen 6 or 7 times each. Sorry, it hasn't been that long yet (and they weren't as good, except EPIII)

I say no.. and if you say I'm wrong, then I insist that you are either a liar, or you suffer psychotic delusions.

Psychotic delusions? Hmm I need to remember that one next time I don't feel like going to work... :)

Now.. before you try and even formulate a comeback about who plays what.. I'm gonna lay this out.. I've played SWG since Beta... and WoW since Beta... but this isn't about game quality, in terms of mechanics... you brought up the ridiculous notion that SWG somehow remains faithful to the SW story.

No, I said they did a decent job of staying within the timeline and didn't violate continuity much. But you can twist my words if you wish if that's what you need to feel happy in life :)

Let's not even talk about EU for a moment, since George Lucas himself has stated (as some like to use as their arguement) that "if it's not in the movies, it's not canon". Fine.

Actually some EU is considered Canon but most isn't. But that's fine we won't use it... mmmkay?

Before I educate you, perhaps it's best to remind you of exactly WHEN in the Star Wars timeline SWG is supposedly set.

It's been stated that it's set between the events of EPIV: ANH and EPV: ESB. Now, as anyone who actually watched ESB can tell you, there was an incident involving a Bounty Hunter on Ord Mantell shortly before the Battle of Hoth (this incident is why Han had to leave the company of the Rebellion and pay up his debts). This run-in happened within the 6 months prior to ESB. In SWG, if you meet and speak with Han Solo, he mentions this incident on Ord Mantell. This means that SWG is set in the 6 months prior to the Battle of Hoth.

Agreed. It is probably during that 6 month period (which is unrealistic imo since the game has existed 2 years.... doncha think it's time for a timeline bump? I do... we need to go post EPVI... but that's a different discussion and, if you read these forums regularly you'd know I've said that before too and wouldn't have made your assinine opening assumptions... by the way I did mention that I'm about to humiliate your so-called knowledge of the SW universe didn't I?).

Now.. let's look at just how GREAT SWG sticks to continuity, other than the 235098714320598 Jedi running rampant in every city of every planet.

Sure :)

If it's only 6 months, then WHY is every high ranking Rebel in some remote ghetto facility, rather than actively setting up on Hoth? Mon Mothma and Ackbar are chillin' on Dantooine, in a base that was deserted BEFORE ANH. Luke and Dodonna are hanging out in the ALREADY CLOSED AND DESERTED Massassi temple on Yavin VI. And then of course, Leia and the gang are just killin time in a "secret" base on Corellia. Right...

And now the fun begins :)

Let's see...
    The Hoth base is NEW at the beginning of ESB... BRAND NEW... they don't have perimeter security out. They don't have sattelite security up. They don't even have sealed walls inside the ice caverns yet. (Or have you forgotten the bit about R2 melting Leia's ceiling by turning on a heater?). That tells me the base is less than a month old. So there's at least 5 months unaccounted for.

I bet you're going to ask where I came up with less than 1 month old? Easy: The United States Army can set up a field camp that's fully operational, with perimeter security in under a week. Actually they can get the bare essentials up and functioning in about 24 hours. With the technology of the Star Wars universe? Shouldn't take more than a month to get a fully functional base going. So I'm going to surmise that the base is less than a month old. Which means there's 5 months in which those key characters could be anywhere in the SW universe.

Oh? And Mon-Mothma and Akbar aren't in the story yet. They could be just about anywhere in the SW universe... Matter of fact Mon Mothma wasn't even on Yavin... so please come up with a better arguement there. As to luke being back on Yavin? If you notice the temple is empty... the rebels just finished or are in the process of evacuating. That tells me this is pretty close to right after ANH and significantly before they managed to establish a base of operations on Hoth.

So, above, no breach in continuity yet.

And oh hey, check it out... Vader and Palpatine are just hanging out on NABOO!!! No Executor for Vader... no construction of the second Death Star taking place. Iif you'd actually DONE the quests in SWG, you'd know that all the Imperial NPCs that mention it talk about it being in the "planning stage".. .you're telling me that they built the 2nd Death Star in under 1 year? It's only 9 months between ESB and ROTJ.

Hmmm let's see... already established that the game is probably set in the month or so after ANH so this isn't a big surprise either. After all Vader had to go SOMEWHERE to get his sparkly ship seeing as he had to fly back home after ANH first... right? He didn't have the SSD in ANH... Emperor must have given it to him sometime... why not while he's meeting him on Naboo. Naboo IS Palpatine's home planet after all.

Now you are absolutely correct that there are only about 9 months between ESB and ROTJ..... Here's where it gets even more fun and we get to test YOUR memory... mmmkay???...

How far from Hoth is Bespin? Feel free to consult any source materials you like. We already know it's a different STAR SYSTEM...

Now... remember that little fact about the Hyperdrive being busted? The whole reason they went to Bespin in the first place?

Now.... remember in EPIV where Han mentions the Falcon will do ".5 past light speed" or, in layman's terms: 1.5x the speed of light. Now, mind you, I don't nitpick about this stuff normally but YOU started it.

IF the Bespin System was less than say 5 light years away (highly unlikely but hey, it's a movie so we'll fudge a bit) and the Falcon can fly 1.5 times the speed of light that little jaunt from the Hoth Asteroid Field to Bespin took Han and Leia.... YUP YOU GUSSED IT: 3.3 YEARS!!!!!!! Hmm this also explains how the hell they fell so deeply in love so damn fast.

So the 2nd Death star had about 4 years to be built ;) Happier with that timeline now? Or are we still nitpicking?

These are just surface things, and glaring surface things. In fact, I don't know why I should even bother explaining the rest of the ways that SWG has completely 100% strayed from anything even REMOTELY resembling continuity... it would make more sense to explain quantum physics to a house plant.

I never said they were perfect. But I will submit that they are better about sticking to the timeline, and the continuity of the SW Universe, than you are giving them credit for. I understand that you evidently have a bone to pick with the game. You don't HAVE to like it. I stopped playing, myself, remember? So "Fanboi" I am not.

You sir, are a fool. A worthless, uneducated, uninformed, clueless fool... and you have no concept of what Star Wars actually is.

That is all.

I think I'll reserve my own judgement as to how educated and informed I am. As to clueless? Yup, I'm often clueless. But I think I just proved beyond a shadow of a doubt that I have a better grasp of the SW Universe than you do. And a better memory of what's in the movies than you do too. Or you'd have remembered that not only did the Falcon have no hyperdrive but Luke also went from absolute idiot regarding the force to being able to take on Vader and not get killed or captured in 2 seconds flat. You didn't REALLY think he learned everything he did in just a couple days did you?

Currently Playing: Dungeons and Dragons Online.
    Sig image Pending
    Still in: A couple Betas