Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What style of MMO do you prefer?

2»

Comments

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

Other - Oldschool PVE themepark

Large world

slow leveling

good gear is rare

great gear is extremely rare

slow travel, no flight

XP as a mix of questing and grinding

ammunition for projectile classes

gear repair is significant

pet taming and training is sigificant

guilds are the major tool for grouping

GMs kick / ban antagonists in chat

PVP in overland and consentual

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

An MMO where I can either build or own something useful or of relevance in the game world. Open world PVP is a plus. Some examples of the MMOs I currently play:

• - EVE Online
    • - Ultima Online
    • - Puzzle Pirates
    • - Free Realms

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• VermilioNomyVermilioNomy Member Posts: 32

Theme Park - Optional PvP eg. Battlegrounds, Flagging or Dueling

After I enjoy the PVE content and learn a little about the certain class I'm playing and how the game works, I always like to go do some pvp or mini-games with friends, simply to show off or to die like I mostly do and laugh about it. So a good mix of a theme park and optional pvp is preferred by me.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

I don't have a favorite style, but I am looking for a MMORPG that's core gameplay revolves around territory control, resource denial and us vs them combat mechanics.

Something along the lines of Lineage 2, EVE, DAOC or Shadowbane even

I want cities to build, defend, and raze to the ground.  I want a solid player crafted economy where the best stuff is never dropped, or is extremely rare so that most people use the more affordable crafted gear. (a la EVE)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

I'll play many types of games, with the exception of full loot PvP. It really depends on how the game is built and presented. Many times, I feel like I have played the game before, even though I just logged in for the first time.

I'll give many games a try. They either "click" for me or don't.

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335
    Other - sandpark or themebox, your pick on nomenclature.  I want a hybrid a good mix of themepark and sandbox with tons of different server types offering full loot, no loot, permadeath, whatever the playerbase clamors for, make a server for it.  I want storylines and I want depth and free roam tools and player created content and the world needs to be vast and growable.  We're already seeing games veer this way, so this choice is the ONLY choice for me.
  • nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

The fun kind. I want a game, not a second job. It needs to have good combat system with good choices of style of fighting. It needs to allow players to form up groups and jump into adventures fast.

• MephsterMephster Member Posts: 1,188
    I like both theme park and sandbox with both pvp and pve. The only thing that matters is that the game just needs to be fun and have alot of replayability.

Grim Dawn, the next great action rpg!

http://www.grimdawn.com/

• JaedorJaedor Member UncommonPosts: 1,173
    I voted for Themepark with optional PvP but I'd love to see some kind of hybrid sandpark/themebox, again with optional PvP or PvP servers. So many possibilities, so many ways to make it economically feasible.
  • CalerxesCalerxes Member UncommonPosts: 1,641
    Its very simple for me... Any MMO I find fun.... there you go lifes simple in my gaff.

This doom and gloom thread was brought to you by Chin Up™ the new ultra high caffeine soft drink for gamers who just need that boost of happiness after a long forum session.

• AmarantharAmaranthar Member EpicPosts: 5,797

Other.....

Huge Sandbox world full of explorations, rarities, and mysteries based on lore. Storyline moving forwards based on lore, adjusted for player actions.

Open world PvP with restrictions based on racial warfare, guild warfare, and factions. Full loot. City guards keep the peace except where directly affected (racial wars).

Quests based on achieving special advancements related to character build.

Much more. A world in conflict, with deep mysteries to discover about "what's out there", and "who's behind that". A world that players can build in under that concept. A world where players are both socially coordinated and in conflict against others in various ways; war, economy, cult, race.

Once upon a time....

• KiljaedenasKiljaedenas Member Posts: 468
    I voted Sandbox open world PvP full loot since I could only choose one option and I'm an Eve Online fan, but honestly I'll play any style as long as it is GOOD, COMPLEX and CHALLENGING. Sadly Eve is the only one that seems to fit that these days...though I've been seeing some interesting stuff on DayZ, might have to give that a try.

Where's the any key?

• noseforautonoseforauto Member Posts: 46

Two-faction themepark all the way! Sandoxes are for old people who don't even contribute to the market. MMORPGs were nothing before WoW came a long and made them popular. Thanks to WoW, we see tons more out there. The people that piss and moan will always piss and moan. There's no point and trying to please them. It would be a waste of time and money. Even if some developer was stupid enough to make a triple-A MMO, it wouldn't be popular. The only thing on the horizon that these people don't piss all over is Archeage, but I guarantee they will still complain about that. For one, it doesn't even look like a full sandbox. It just copy/pastes the yellow "?" from WoW. I can't wait until that game comes out so that I can bathe in the tears of sandbox enthusiasts.

• SixfeetunderSixfeetunder Member UncommonPosts: 180
    Modern or sc-fiction...but few fantasy are good too...best thing are gameplay...history...immersion..combat..music...5 way to win for me (thempark or sandbox inclued)
  • PrenhoPrenho Member Posts: 298

Lineage 1/2 clan war and pk system > full loot. Full loot is chaotic, because you lose your items by being killed without any reason.

Lineage has the best system of OWPVP I've seen so far, because only pks(red name) characters have the risk of losing item if they die: summarizing the system:

Originally posted by Prenho

Themepark players never heard about pk and karma? Any sandbox focused in OW pvp-clan wars that wants to be decent use a pk system. Lineage 1 and Lineage 2 show this. Just add a pk system, there are 2 things to consider:

1 - PvP without war:

If player A wants to kill player B but player B is not at war with him(player B belongs to a clan that is not at war with player A clan, or simply doesn't belong to any clan). Player A starts attacking, so his name changes from White(normal state) to purple(flagged state), so 2 things can happen depending if player B will react or not:

a - Player B doesn't react: if player B doesn't want to react and player A kills him, it means that he killed a player with white name(normal state), so player A will gain karma and his name will change to red color(it means that he became pk, pks are banned from towns, and if someone dies while in pk state, he can lose some(or all) items(as his weapon or armor).

A pk player needs to kill monters of his gap of level until he cleans his karma and his name becomes white again. Anyone can kill a pk without worrying, pks can be killed and the killer won't become pk, just will have a change to loot some items from pk after killing him.

A(white name) atks B(white name) = A becomes purple name

A(purple name) kills B(white name) = A becomes red name(pk) gain karma because he killed a white name.

b - Player B reacts: player B decides to fight back, so player B will become a purple name too, both players are purple, so this fight will end up and nobody will become pk, because both players are flagged, the winner will just have to wait some time until his name turns white again.

A(white name) atks B(white name) = A becomes purple name

B(white name) atks back = B becomes purple name 

Both palyer are flagged, so it doesn't matter who wins, nobody will become pk because both players opened flag.

2 - PVP with war

Player A finds player B and he notices that player B belongs to a clan that is at war with his clan, in this case, the rule above does not apply anymore, because both players are at war, so no matter if player A kills player B without player B reacts or not, you can kill him without worrying about becoming pk. So the players make their own alliances and enemies, while a poor faction game, there are only 2(or 3) factions.

• Cephus404Cephus404 Member CommonPosts: 3,675
    I voted themepark PvE, but there wasn't an option for sandpark, which is what I'd really prefer.  Absolutely, positively no PvP at all unless I can completely and totally opt out of it.

Played: UO, EQ, WoW, DDO, SWG, AO, CoH, EvE, TR, AoC, GW, GA, Aion, Allods, lots more
    Relatively Recently (Re)Played: HL2 (all), Halo (PC, all), Batman:AA; AC, ME, BS, DA, FO3, DS, Doom (all), LFD1&2, KOTOR, Portal 1&2, Blink, Elder Scrolls (all), lots more
    Now Playing: None
    Hope: None

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    lobby based instanced with interesting combat.