Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

5 reasons you may not Like GW2 (as read by a GW2 Fanboi)

12346»

Comments

• AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,006
    You could look at DE's as open raids in a way since it invovles a large group of people.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• wowfan1996wowfan1996 Member UncommonPosts: 719
    Originally posted by Purgatus
    However, there is one glorious thing that OPvP offers, and that is the uncertainty of the next confrontation.

Err, what? Most of the time OPvP is so one-sided you can predict the end result before any "confrontation" even starts. Even premade vs. pug on a PvP map isn't always that predictable.

---

The rest of the OP revolves around how hardcore PvEers might not like a primarily PvP-oriented game. Why thank you Captain. We would never have figured it out otherwise. ;)

MMORPG genre is dead. Long live MMOCS (Massively Multiplayer Online Cash Shop).

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by wowfan1996
    However, there is one glorious thing that OPvP offers, and that is the uncertainty of the next confrontation.

Err, what? Most of the time OPvP is so one-sided you can predict the end result before any "confrontation" even starts. Even premade vs. pug on a PvP map isn't always that predictable.

---

The rest of the OP revolves around how hardcore PvEers might not like a primarily PvP-oriented game. Why thank you Captain. We would never have figured it out otherwise. ;)

That reads to me as, you don't know where the next confrontation will happen or when.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

Originally posted by Izik

6. Graphics from 2004

I think someone here needs to install any 2004 release and play it for just 15 minutes. Hopefully we'll see less nonsense on these boards after that.

Originally posted by Distopia

---

That reads to me as, you don't know where the next confrontation will happen or when.

Most games with OPvP have permastealth classes who can wait forever for a good ganking opportunity. So the uncertainty is usually one-sided as well. And if the game also has gear progression when or where becomes rather irrelevant. You're either on top of the food chain or you're food.

OPvP could make sense in GW2 but mostly as guild vs. guild battles. I hope ANet will add those later.

• HurvartHurvart Member Posts: 565
    Originally posted by Aerowyn
    Originally posted by laokoko
    #6 GW2 is not a sandbox game

pretty much equates for 90% of the hate it gets on these forums

Most people that claim they dont like sandbox games dont know what a sandbox game is. Typically they think any traditional MMORPG is a sandbox. If there are no instances and no fast travel it is a sandbox...If there is a harsh death penalty it makes it a sanbox..If combat is slow paced and without any action it makes it a sandbox. But in reality these things will not make a game a sandbox. It makes no difference how much modern action mmo players hate them. They are not sandbox features.

A sandbox depends on player created content. And you should also need to craft and build. If you add typical themepark features it becomes a hybrid.

A traditional game with no player created content is no sandbox even if playing it feels like 1999... And people can also be very oldschool and anti action games without liking sandbox games.

• VermilioNomyVermilioNomy Member Posts: 32

So, anyone familiar with my name around these parts knows that I am a die-hard fan of GW2. I think its the best MMO I've ever played. But no game is completely without problems, and no game can appeal to everyone. I've seen a lot of vitriolic threads about what GW2 does wrong, or how GW2 sucks because it lacks feature X or Y. I thought I would post some of the reasons I feel some players will not like GW2 from the opposite perspective.

So without further Delay...(and In no particular order)

Reason #1 - No Open World PvP

Reason #2 - Sense of progression

Reason #3 - No Traditional Endgame

Reason #4 - Some Traditional Roles are Gone

Reason #5 - Cash Shop

This being my first reply ever on this forum so don't shoot me.

I enjoyed reading your post and it pains me to say "You're right." I find the graphics amazing in Guild Wars 2 and it's completely different from any other mmo I've experienced so far.

But sadly enough, the points you've stated (the cash shop doesn't bother me though) are indeed the things that are "pushing" me a little away from GW2. It just feels so weird because it's so different which makes it interesting but also a little... eh just weird haha. The sense of progression and the dissapearance of traditional roles are the ones that bother me. In the end it all comes down to personal opinion but nonetheless I'll be trying gw2 as soon as it launches. It might be time for a change and who knows I might enjoy it, if not so be it.

• MagnnarotMagnnarot Member Posts: 50
    Originally posted by VermilioNomy

So, anyone familiar with my name around these parts knows that I am a die-hard fan of GW2. I think its the best MMO I've ever played. But no game is completely without problems, and no game can appeal to everyone. I've seen a lot of vitriolic threads about what GW2 does wrong, or how GW2 sucks because it lacks feature X or Y. I thought I would post some of the reasons I feel some players will not like GW2 from the opposite perspective.

So without further Delay...(and In no particular order)

Reason #1 - No Open World PvP

Reason #2 - Sense of progression

Reason #3 - No Traditional Endgame

Reason #4 - Some Traditional Roles are Gone

Reason #5 - Cash Shop

This being my first reply ever on this forum so don't shoot me.

I enjoyed reading your post and it pains me to say "You're right." I find the graphics amazing in Guild Wars 2 and it's completely different from any other mmo I've experienced so far.

But sadly enough, the points you've stated (the cash shop doesn't bother me though) are indeed the things that are "pushing" me a little away from GW2. It just feels so weird because it's so different which makes it interesting but also a little... eh just weird haha. The sense of progression and the dissapearance of traditional roles are the ones that bother me. In the end it all comes down to personal opinion but nonetheless I'll be trying gw2 as soon as it launches. It might be time for a change and who knows I might enjoy it, if not so be it.

And the side effects of WoW clone after WoW clone start showing...

People come to this forum every day saying GW2 copied WoW here, GW2 copied WoW there and dont look at what GW2 has changed, yet when they realize how much it is different from WoW they are simply turned away by the same thing they complained about not seeing on it...

Just search a bit more, probably wait for the extended experience to come out (if you can hold on until then) and decide for yourself.

Originally posted by Hurvart
    Originally posted by Aerowyn
    Originally posted by laokoko
    #6 GW2 is not a sandbox game

pretty much equates for 90% of the hate it gets on these forums

Most people that claim they dont like sandbox games dont know what a sandbox game is. Typically they think any traditional MMORPG is a sandbox. If there are no instances and no fast travel it is a sandbox...If there is a harsh death penalty it makes it a sanbox..If combat is slow paced and without any action it makes it a sandbox. But in reality these things will not make a game a sandbox. It makes no difference how much modern action mmo players hate them. They are not sandbox features.

A sandbox depends on player created content. And you should also need to craft and build. If you add typical themepark features it becomes a hybrid.

A traditional game with no player created content is no sandbox even if playing it feels like 1999... And people can also be very oldschool and anti action games without liking sandbox games.

Damn straight. Minecraft is a sandbox. And if someone likes games like Minecraft the questions is what they're doing on GW2 forum.

A themepark game can be good. If it doesn't force a particualr playstyle, if it's not about gear progression, if it's not a mindless WoW clone it can be good.

• DanitaKusorDanitaKusor Member UncommonPosts: 556

6. Graphics from 2004

I think someone here needs to install any 2004 release and play it for just 15 minutes. Hopefully we'll see less nonsense on these boards after that.

I think a lot of people are already playing one... WoW was released in 2004 wasn't it?

The Enlightened take things Lightly

Originally posted by DanitaKusor

6. Graphics from 2004

I think a lot of people are already playing one... WoW was released in 2004 wasn't it?

WoW has gone a long way in all senses. It's modern graphics hardly even resembles vanilla. Like I said - install any 2004 release and see for yourself.

GW2 isn't a shooter and for a MMO it has rather nice graphics. If it can run at 60 FPS on a decent rig what more do we need? BTW, Izik mentioned Rift. Well, Rift PvP was unplayable for me on [email protected]/8GB RAM/GTX580. ~12 FPS on the bridge in Port Scion. And that was at minimum settings so I saw precisely the "2004" gfx to boot. And that rig could run Crysis 2/D11/HR textures @everything maxed in full HD.

• nastyjmannastyjman Member Posts: 161

I love open PvP, even if I was being ganked by people 10 or 20 levels above me. There was a sense of peril and danger in every corner. A raid at your hometown meant delays and lots of lulz. So when I found out that GW2 didn't have open PvP, I was a little skeptical.

But when the first Beta Weekend rolled out, my skepticism was appeased. They even made it better! They separated open PvP from PvE. WvW was more natural and more exciting. You open the map and you can see where the enemy is attacking. No need to shout it at General Chat. And when you walk up to the ledge and see the keep getting assaulted, you're immediately pumped.

There are still some gankers in WvW, that's if you're running around by yourself. And occasional 1v1 do happen when you meet an opposing player who doesn't know where the eff he's going too.

When this comes out, my time will be spent mostly on WvW and sPvP. If I need to relax and just dick around, there's always PvE.

• bubalubabubaluba Member Posts: 434
    I was in beta and i was not even thinking about one of your point. Mother sun and earth! There is really no open world pvp! And i was wondering why i feel so strange without any adrenalin rush. Now i am angry on my self :( Wasted money in my case