Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cancelled my pre-order today. Heres why

Comments

• heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993
    Originally posted by Pelagato
    Originally posted by heartless
    Originally posted by Vannor
    Originally posted by BilboDoggins

elves and orcs fantasy that we have seen a million times. GW2 is really just WoW minus raids and sub fees.

minus the elves and orcs as well...

The rest of your post though is your opinion, yet a politely disagree with all of it. Sorry the game didn't work out for you and I hope you find what you want.

No raids doesnt sound like an opinion at all... its just a fact...

There are raids though. It's just that they are not instanced.

oh!!! So the no raids is a downward LIE or fanbois are just calling openworld crap a raid now...

Raids don't have to be instanced, you know.

• MaketsoMaketso Member Posts: 25

But heartless......batman can glide farther and faster than spidey can swing ;( Plus he has a ship! Darnit all, batman is ze winner.

On Topic : Dungeons > raids in GW2. OP is stupid. Theres my contribution.

• YakkinYakkin Member Posts: 919

oh!!! So the no raids is a downward LIE or fanbois are just calling openworld crap a raid now...

Well, to be fair as I can be, Pelagato probably thought about Traditional Raids, not raid like content.

Originally posted by Enigmatus

Well, to be fair as I can be, Pelagato probably thought about Traditional Raids, not raid like content.

Traditional raids started with EQ, if I remember correctly. From what I understand, and please correct me if I'm wrong since I was busy playing UO back then, they were open world and required lots of groups to beat. Unless Pelegato's first MMO was WoW, then I can see where he's coming from.

Personally, I like open world raids. It allows for harder content but still makes it accessible for everyone, even those who are not in an uber guild.

• MagnetiaMagnetia Member UncommonPosts: 1,015
    Originally posted by Maketso

But heartless......batman can glide farther and faster than spidey can swing ;( Plus he has a ship! Darnit all, batman is ze winner.

Batman has a plane and that batgrappling hook too. With about two of those hooks he could be SpiderBatman.

On topic: GW2 has open world raids. 

Play for fun. Play to win. Play for perfection. Play with friends. Play in another world. Why do you play?

• YakkinYakkin Member Posts: 919

Traditional raids started with EQ, if I remember correctly. From what I understand, and please correct me if I'm wrong since I was busy playing UO back then, they were open world and required lots of groups to beat. Unless Pelegato's first MMO was WoW, then I can see where he's coming from.

Personally, I like open world raids. It allows for harder content but still makes it accessible for everyone, even those who are not in an uber guild.

Didn't play back then; I was thinking about WoW.

• XzenXzen Member UncommonPosts: 2,607

• blognorgblognorg Member UncommonPosts: 643

Originally posted by BilboDoggins Months ago before I started ebta testing this game I was very excited. I had bought into the hype that GW2 was the future and was gonna do things differently but after all the beta testing I finally had to be honest with myself about the game. The truth is that GW2 is basically more of the same with a few differences. 1. No raids- ANet removed raids because they know that their PVE system is to simple and casual to support complex and difficult raiding. Raids like everything else in GW2 (like pvp) are nothing but a button mashing zergfest. Having raids would have made this all the more obvious. 2. No sub fee but cash shop oreiented which borders on P2W- One of GW2 's big selling points is that it has no sub-fee. This is a good thing but in all honesty they HAD to do this since GW2 simply doesnt have the content to justify paying a monthly sub. So instead ANet added a cash shop which gives rewards as good as the best stuff you can find in game and other things which makes it arguably Pay 2 win. And even if its not P2W at launch its obvious to anyone who is familiar with MMO's that it will end up that way. 3. Pointless zerg pvp- PvP is supposed to be the strength of GW2 but in reality it is extremely shallow. PvP basically consists of running around in zergs and punching gates for hours on end for no reason.  There is no actual purpose to GW2 pvp. No ladders, rankings, and no way to build a rep because you are given a generic name so nobody knows who you are. 4. No endgame- GW2 endgame= the same stuff you were doing since level one since "everything is endgame". Once you hit 80 there is nothing to do which provides actual character progression anymore. I really wanted this game to succeed and be great but I cant lie to myself. The fact is that GW2 is shallow and generic. Its more elves and orcs fantasy that we have seen a million times. GW2 is really just WoW minus raids and sub fees. Luckily TSW's excellent stories and atmosphere which is unique and difficult will be able to tide me over until Planetside 2 launches which will be the next big MMO that revolutionizes the genre.

I have my own issues with GW2, and it's fine to have opinions. My only question is how the hell did you not know about everything you just complained about? I followed the game for maybe a few months before the beta, and I expected everything you mentioned. Everything I don't like about it came from actually having to experience it; evidently, you just plugged your ears and closed your eyes until you decided to make an impulse buy. I can't imagine you are happy with any game you buy, seeing as you don't actually follow them at all.

Didn't play back then; I was thinking about WoW.

It's cool. WoW is a good game, one that I enjoyed for a few years. Although I stopped raiding after BWL, before the first expansion.

It's just that when people say traditional raids, I automatically think about EQ.

Originally posted by Magnetia

Batman has a plane and that batgrappling hook too. With about two of those hooks he could be SpiderBatman.

Haha exactly, hes the best!

On Topic: It Does? o.o Wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooot

• FailtrainFailtrain Member Posts: 129

not sure if this has been mentioned already but... http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/360342/page/1

Okay.

• CrunkJuice2CrunkJuice2 Member Posts: 568

it seems like you didnt like the secret world eather

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/360342/page/1

For my definition of a raid at least.

Big boss? Check.

Lots of people required? Check.

Phat lootz? Check.

What am I missing? 5 hours of organizing a bunch of idiots who can't learn ONE mechanic over SIX WEEKS. I'm not sad they left that part out.

Play for fun. Play to win. Play for perfection. Play with friends. Play in another world. Why do you play?

First open world raid: fire shaman in the charr starting zone. I'm sure that he's been nerfed now but during BWE1, he was unstoppable.

• trahetrahe Member UncommonPosts: 41
    Originally posted by Derpybird

Is this post going to turn out like this post?

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/post/5081999#5081999

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH.   Nice find. 

• CorrineCorrine Member UncommonPosts: 77

First open world raid: fire shaman in the charr starting zone. I'm sure that he's been nerfed now but during BWE1, he was unstoppable.

He was nerfed

Originally posted by ZekeAsukura

He was nerfed

That's kind of sad. They need to keep a few encounters like that. When we were finally able to bring him down, it was really rewarding. And this was at level 6!

• MorbidCurioMorbidCurio Member Posts: 127

I"m not...quite..sure...It's that last sentence. In addition to being completely unneccessary it's entirely outlandish and ridiculous. Not to say Planetside 2 couldn't be revolutionary, but eh...who are we kidding? It's SOE. Anything actually interesting in their games gets taken out eventually.

But who knows? Either way that last sentence makes me smell troll. So. Yeah, there's that.

Originally posted by MorbidCurio

I"m not...quite..sure...It's that last sentence. In addition to being completely unneccessary it's entirely outlandish and ridiculous. Not to say Planetside 2 couldn't be revolutionary, but eh...who are we kidding? It's SOE. Anything actually interesting in their games gets taken out eventually.

But who knows? Either way that last sentence makes me smell troll. So. Yeah, there's that.

Besides, Planetside 2 is purely PvP, just like the first game. It's not even in the same category as GW2. Also, it won't revolutionize the genre, just like Planetside 1 didn't. It'll be a fun game, I love it but it will not change anything since it's created for a particular niche.

• aznxdreadfulaznxdreadful Member UncommonPosts: 21
    Cool Story Bro, BUT Real talk lol, I doubt your getting that refund back lmfao, it states in the fine print and legal shit that you cant!!!!
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    I think telling people GW2 has raids is miss leading at best.
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
    Originally posted by bcbully

No. I think that telling people that GW2 doesn't have raids is misleading at best. Because it actually does have encounters that require large groups of players.

However, if your only experience with raiding comes from WoW, I can see where you may get confused.

After the OP bashed GW2 and said TSW is better, I decided to watch a video on it. ( Just to see what pops up ).

What came up?

*Intro Scene*

What company helped produce it?

EA

LOL

Originally posted by bcbully

No. I think that telling people that GW2 doesn't have raids is misleading at best. Because it actually does have encounters that require large groups of players.

However, if your only experience with raiding comes from WoW, I can see where you may get confused.

From Wiki

raid is a type of mission in a video game in which a very large number of people (larger than the normal team size set by the game) attempt to defeat a boss monster.

Meta-events sound like raids to me.

This discussion has been closed.