Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cancelled my pre-order today. Heres why

Comments

• PanteraRosaPanteraRosa Member UncommonPosts: 35
    Originally posted by SaintPhilip
    Originally posted by Psychow
    Originally posted by Aelious
    The amusing part will be all the doom sayers camping this forum waiting for "man, GW2 really bites!" and scrambling to pipe in with "I told you it would!!" replies. Of course people will not like the game, even though they thought they might, and then come here to whine about it. Hopefully they will be asked why, not that it will matter to the ITYS crowd.

I've never understood why people would hope to "not" like something. You would think that having more things that people like would be a good thing.

.... In most cases it isnt folks hoping NOT to like something.

Its HYPE.... Its people purchasing something based on HYPE and then finding dissapointment- Then we hear "t he sub model is dead" and "nobody wants to pay a sub" (ala SWTOR) when people were happy to pay a sub but were disapointed due to the HYPE.

Same with GW2- The second most overhyped game I can remember.

Take the hype away and people will know what they are really getting into. As I said I like GW2- I also feel its shallow (which is fine since there isnt a sub)- But I knew what I was getting into thus I am happy...

Others buy the hype and find disapointment. But the boxes are sold. Thats the problem with the genre right now. Its predatory marketing.

GW2 is a fine game. But if you are expecting what most are- Its going to suck. And very soon (six months) I reckon P2W items (its close now IMO) and people angry at a box price for a F2P game. People angry for not getting what the HYPE has painted. People just...Angry.

I wont be- But again- I KNEW what I was purchasing.

So your the guy going around telling lil kids about santa...  Ya i get it

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    Originally posted by Enigmatus
    Apparently you need to be completely addicted to the point that you give up everything else to play the game in order for it to be considered a true MMO. Otherwise it's "SHALLOW AND MEDIOCRE."

Yeah, I get that feeling too. Like SaintPhilip feels like WoW was deep enough of an MMORPG to pay a sub, but GW2 is not deep enough.

I know of a few systems that are deeper in GW2. The leveling system for one. The customization in GW2 has far more depth. Actually, I get confounded every time I start to experiment with a new class because there is so much to consider. I think WvW has more depth than Alterac Valley or Wintergrasp or whatever the WoW equivalent would be. I think that Structured PvP Tournaments have a similar amount of depth to arenas. I think the combat, while different, has a similar amount of depth.

I just don't see what that X factor they are talking about is unless it is the gear treadmill. What else could it be? Because GW2 is certainly offering some nice systems.

• heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993
    Originally posted by heartless
    The amusing part will be all the doom sayers camping this forum waiting for "man, GW2 really bites!" and scrambling to pipe in with "I told you it would!!" replies. Of course people will not like the game, even though they thought they might, and then come here to whine about it. Hopefully they will be asked why, not that it will matter to the ITYS crowd.

I've never understood why people would hope to "not" like something. You would think that having more things that people like would be a good thing.

It's impossible to create a game which will equally appeal to everyone. The great thing is that there are a lot of MMOs out there and chances are, whatever your preference is, there is a game for your niche.

Yeah, but why would people want others to not like a game?

I get that I may or may not like a game. What I don't understand is why I would hope YOU wouldn't like the game? It doesn't make any sense to me. YOU not liking a game will not help ME in any way.  See what I'm sayin?

I agree with you. Sometimes people get a bit too passionate about their game of choice which can lead to slightly irrational behavior. I usually write it off as excitement and don't pay much attention to it.

• MuridanMuridan Member Posts: 94

Wondering why the OP didnt just post this;

Hi everyone, I just wanted to say that I really love TSW. It has great stories and I find it very fun. Thanks for reading!

Because that's really all he was saying anyway. Big long post about what he hates about GW2, because lets face it, you gotta flame the most hyped game right before you fanboi up for your favorite game. Its the forum way!  Followed by his real agenda, which is making sure we all know how great he thinks TSW is. 

Enjoy your game, sir. And thank you for bringing absolutely nothing of any substance to the forums, we need more posters like you.....   <----sarcasmz.

• SaintPhilipSaintPhilip Member Posts: 713
    Originally posted by Pantera_rosa

Its HYPE.... Its people purchasing something based on HYPE and then finding dissapointment- Then we hear "t he sub model is dead" and "nobody wants to pay a sub" (ala SWTOR) when people were happy to pay a sub but were disapointed due to the HYPE.

Take the hype away and people will know what they are really getting into. As I said I like GW2- I also feel its shallow (which is fine since there isnt a sub)- But I knew what I was getting into thus I am happy...

Others buy the hype and find disapointment. But the boxes are sold. Thats the problem with the genre right now. Its predatory marketing.

GW2 is a fine game. But if you are expecting what most are- Its going to suck. And very soon (six months) I reckon P2W items (its close now IMO) and people angry at a box price for a F2P game. People angry for not getting what the HYPE has painted. People just...Angry.

Well, when they are in their 20s someone has to =P

• PanteraRosaPanteraRosa Member UncommonPosts: 35
    Originally posted by Pantera_rosa

Well, when they are in their 20s someone has to =P

Rofl

• mmoguy43mmoguy43 Member UncommonPosts: 2,770
    Originally posted by BilboDoggins

Months ago before I started ebta testing this game I was very excited. I had bought into the hype that GW2 was the future and was gonna do things differently but after all the beta testing I finally had to be honest with myself about the game. The truth is that GW2 is basically more of the same with a few differences.

1. No raids- ANet removed raids because they know that their PVE system is to simple and casual to support complex and difficult raiding. Raids like everything else in GW2 (like pvp) are nothing but a button mashing zergfest. Having raids would have made this all the more obvious.

2. No sub fee but cash shop oreiented which borders on P2W- One of GW2 's big selling points is that it has no sub-fee. This is a good thing but in all honesty they HAD to do this since GW2 simply doesnt have the content to justify paying a monthly sub. So instead ANet added a cash shop which gives rewards as good as the best stuff you can find in game and other things which makes it arguably Pay 2 win. And even if its not P2W at launch its obvious to anyone who is familiar with MMO's that it will end up that way.

3. Pointless zerg pvp- PvP is supposed to be the strength of GW2 but in reality it is extremely shallow. PvP basically consists of running around in zergs and punching gates for hours on end for no reason.  There is no actual purpose to GW2 pvp. No ladders, rankings, and no way to build a rep because you are given a generic name so nobody knows who you are.

4. No endgame- GW2 endgame= the same stuff you were doing since level one since "everything is endgame". Once you hit 80 there is nothing to do which provides actual character progression anymore.

I really wanted this game to succeed and be great but I cant lie to myself. The fact is that GW2 is shallow and generic. Its more elves and orcs fantasy that we have seen a million times. GW2 is really just WoW minus raids and sub fees. Luckily TSW's excellent stories and atmosphere which is unique and difficult will be able to tide me over until Planetside 2 launches which will be the next big MMO that revolutionizes the genre.

I had to laugh at this even though I do like the game.

Sorry, no GW2 biased comment will be provided.

• JagaridJagarid Member UncommonPosts: 415

*scratches head*

Isn't the guy that started this thread someone who I have seen post nothing but negativity and complaints about GW2 for like...months?  (Including a whole lot of just plain incorrect information)

And now he expects me to believe he actually had a pre-purchase?

I'm confused.

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574

Months ago before I started ebta testing this game I was very excited. I had bought into the hype that GW2 was the future and was gonna do things differently but after all the beta testing I finally had to be honest with myself about the game. The truth is that GW2 is basically more of the same with a few differences.

1. No raids- ANet removed raids because they know that their PVE system is to simple and casual to support complex and difficult raiding. Raids like everything else in GW2 (like pvp) are nothing but a button mashing zergfest. Having raids would have made this all the more obvious.

2. No sub fee but cash shop oreiented which borders on P2W- One of GW2 's big selling points is that it has no sub-fee. This is a good thing but in all honesty they HAD to do this since GW2 simply doesnt have the content to justify paying a monthly sub. So instead ANet added a cash shop which gives rewards as good as the best stuff you can find in game and other things which makes it arguably Pay 2 win. And even if its not P2W at launch its obvious to anyone who is familiar with MMO's that it will end up that way.

3. Pointless zerg pvp- PvP is supposed to be the strength of GW2 but in reality it is extremely shallow. PvP basically consists of running around in zergs and punching gates for hours on end for no reason.  There is no actual purpose to GW2 pvp. No ladders, rankings, and no way to build a rep because you are given a generic name so nobody knows who you are.

4. No endgame- GW2 endgame= the same stuff you were doing since level one since "everything is endgame". Once you hit 80 there is nothing to do which provides actual character progression anymore.

I really wanted this game to succeed and be great but I cant lie to myself. The fact is that GW2 is shallow and generic. Its more elves and orcs fantasy that we have seen a million times. GW2 is really just WoW minus raids and sub fees. Luckily TSW's excellent stories and atmosphere which is unique and difficult will be able to tide me over until Planetside 2 launches which will be the next big MMO that revolutionizes the genre.

You've been a pretty adamant opponent of GW2 since the hype started so I am not buying your argument you pre-purchased the game.

All your points have been debunked countless and numerous times.  I wont go into them again but enjoy your stay so now can you please quit repeating the same crap in eveyr post?

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521

It's impossible to create a game which will equally appeal to everyone. The great thing is that there are a lot of MMOs out there and chances are, whatever your preference is, there is a game for your niche.

I get that I may or may not like a game. What I don't understand is why I would hope YOU wouldn't like the game? It doesn't make any sense to me. YOU not liking a game will not help ME in any way.  See what I'm sayin?

That was exactly my point.  I see too many people saying "you're going to be disappointed, don't be too excited" when they should really be happy that others are happy.  I guess it's just too much for some.

That was exactly my point.  I see too many people saying "you're going to be disappointed, don't be too excited" when they should really be happy that others are happy.  I guess it's just too much for some.

One of my favorite things that a lot of people say that I personally think is bullshit is:

If you never get excited by anything, you'll never be disappointed by anything.

What kind of a life is that?

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574
    Originally posted by HeWhoKnocks
    Originally posted by Xzen
    Is there really anyone left on these forums that is not aware of BilboDoggins posting history? Is this thread any thing new? Nope just more of the same old BilboDoggins.

of course there are people who don't know about him, because the mods ban everyone who reminds people of it. that's why him and hikaru77 are still at it to this day.

now do you see how ridiculous topics like this one are?

Exactly what have I done that warrants a ban? Did I personally insult or attack anyone? NO.

All I di was express my opinion of why GW2 wasnt worth buying and playing. I didnt realizing that not having the opinion that GW2 was the most greatest game of all time wowowwoee deserved a ban! WELL EXCUSE ME! image

Its called TROLLING.  When you post the same non-sensical drivel 678967967685 times it becomes boring and stale.  You're not folling anyone repeating the same hateraid type of threads which is why IMO you deserve a perma ban.

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• JagaridJagarid Member UncommonPosts: 415
    Originally posted by colddog04

One of my favorite things that a lot of people say that I personally think is bullshit is:

A rather empty life.  But it isn't like it is a permanent mindset for them. You have to understand though, they are coming from a place where they have been disappointed by the hype so many times that they can't, emotionally, deal with the disappointment again at this point in their life.  They will eventually get over it and start living again.

Sort of like people who go through a really bad divorce or break up will tell you how you should not fall in love because it just ends in misery and pain.

It is a mindset that comes from them being in a "bad place" in their own life right now.   Obviously, in both above scenerios, you are best not following their advice, but you should at least be empathic of the pain they are obviously still dealing with and not be too hard on them.

Games not out yet. People are happy with the HYPE. 

This is trying to bring some reality to the picture.

I am glad you are happy with a game that has not been released yet. Many had the same stance with TOR.

Predatory Marketing can make you happy to purchase many things and remain happu until the product fails to meet the very high and undue expectations due to HYPE. An otherwise good game (once over hyped) sells more boxes than it should and disapoints more people than it should.

Peoploe are happy to be excited about every HYPED MMORPG in the last five years- Until six months after release. And rthis is what is killing the genre.

If people buy anything strictly because of hype then they deserve what they get.  As far as GW2is concerned  there have been so many chances to play and videos to watch that people aren't basing it off just hype.  They, like you, know what they are getting into and don't need people "telling them how it is" because they think their opinions are superior.  The above is your opinion only.

Originally posted by Jagarid

A rather empty life.  But it isn't like it is a permanent mindset for them. You have to understand though, they are coming from a place where they have been disappointed by the hype so many times that they can't, emotionally, deal with the disappointment again at this point in their life.  They will eventually get over it and start living again.

Sort of like people who go through a really bad divorce or break up will tell you how you should not fall in love because it just ends in misery and pain.

It is a mindset that comes from them being in a "bad place" in their own life right now.   Obviously, in both above scenerios, you are best not following their advice, but you should at least be empathic of the pain they are obviously still dealing with and not be too hard on them.

Perhaps I should be more empathetic.

LOL-  Thats pretty funny (and mostly true) aside from the bad place in their life as that has little to do with it in most (not all) cases.

Maybe the HYPE will be on the money. But failing to look at the past breeds dissapointment for the future,... Learn HISTORY or repeat it.

And yes, one day a game will live up toi the hype- Hope GW2 does, I just highly doubt it./

If people buy anything strictly because of hype then they deserve what they get.  As far as GW2is concerned  there have been so many chances to play and videos to watch that people aren't basing it off just hype.  They, like you, know what they are getting into and don't need people "telling them how it is" because they think their opinions are superior.  The above is your opinion only.

Heard that about TOR too. AND (to a lesser degree) TSW which both failed.

No. People are pretty dumb as a whole and continue to buy HYPE. Thats not an opinion, its the recent history of this genre.

• PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784

Perhaps I should be more empathetic.

Don't fall in love, she'll just break your heart...

• 7star7star Member Posts: 405
    Isn't PS2 going to have a cash shop? As you said, OP, if you are familiar with MMOs then according to your logic the game you are expecting to be a revolution in the genre is going to be pay-to-win. I'm not saying that, mind you, but it follows from what you said.
    Originally posted by 7star
    Isn't PS2 going to have a cash shop? As you said, OP, if you are familiar with MMOs then according to your logic the game you are expecting to be a revolution in the genre is going to be pay-to-win. I'm not saying that, mind you, but it follows from what you said.

PS2 is (sadly) going to be a hardcore P2W game.

Again, we will see... But I would bet money.

No. People are pretty dumb as a whole and continue to buy HYPE. Thats not an opinion, its the recent history of this genre.

Or maybe they like looking forward to things and are willing to give them a shot.  I have looked forward to games longer than I have ended up stomaching them once I was in for a few weeks.  I didn't crumble to a slobbering mess lamenting the industry.  I went "meh, that's that I guess" and moved on.  It's nice to be able to do that.

• NormikeNormike Member Posts: 436

Did the OP forget about tournament matches? Or forget that people on your server will recognize familiar names in WvWvW on their own team? Or forget that there are dungeons?

In the one hour stress test earlier today I was in WvWvW for about 30 mins and had 8 1vs1 fights, a few 2v1, and a few more 2v2. It's definitely not all zerg.  Part of the strategy of winning is intercepting enemy reinfocements, taking down stragglers, cutting off supply chains, sabotaging siege machines. These things are best done with a small group, not a zerg.

Or maybe they like looking forward to things and are willing to give them a shot.  I have looked forward to games longer than I have ended up stomaching them once I was in for a few weeks.  I didn't crumble to a slobbering mess lamenting the industry.  I went "meh, that's that I guess" and moved on.  It's nice to be able to do that.

I agree- But I think my point is getting steepped on.

I too am ooking forward to GW2 and have pre purchased AND enjoyed the beta.

People buying this on hype (which the hype is out of control) are being "ripped off" IMHO since they are paying for a product that isnt what they think it is. This does NOT just go for GW2 either but most recent games.

If I dont like GW2 I will , as you said , move on.... If I believed the HYPE though and bought GW2 I would feel robbed.

• MaketsoMaketso Member Posts: 25
    Originally posted by mindw0rk
    Agreed with author. TSW is a much better game

This discussion has been closed.