Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cancelled my pre-order today. Heres why

Comments

• SaintPhilipSaintPhilip Member Posts: 713
    Originally posted by rykim86
    Originally posted by SaintPhilip

I am fine as I KNOW what to evxpect. Something to play in small spurts. Others think they are getting a full fledged MMO andits not going to be prety.

And what is your definition of a full fledged MMO?  Every person I've seen say something like that come up with half empty answers.

And please remember, games like WoW took years to get to where it is now in terms of content and systems.  

Well, to be frank- There hasnt been many "full fledged MMOs" IMHO in quite some time. A bunch of hype and marketing has been the industry standard in most cases- As in this case.

I was there at Vanilla WOW and it was "full fledged"

Again, not arguing. I am telling the truth here. This game isnt what the hype is portraying. Its casual and lacking content. In a few months I will persoonally necro threads when the SHTF (and it will)

I am happy with it (not a hater)- But I also didnt buy the hype. Those buying the hypew are going to be pissed. No need to argue, just watch and see.

• NakedFuryNakedFury Member UncommonPosts: 411
    Originally posted by BilboDoggins

Months ago before I started ebta testing this game I was very excited. I had bought into the hype that GW2 was the future and was gonna do things differently but after all the beta testing I finally had to be honest with myself about the game. The truth is that GW2 is basically more of the same with a few differences.

1. No raids- ANet removed raids because they know that their PVE system is to simple and casual to support complex and difficult raiding. Raids like everything else in GW2 (like pvp) are nothing but a button mashing zergfest. Having raids would have made this all the more obvious.

2. No sub fee but cash shop oreiented which borders on P2W- One of GW2 's big selling points is that it has no sub-fee. This is a good thing but in all honesty they HAD to do this since GW2 simply doesnt have the content to justify paying a monthly sub. So instead ANet added a cash shop which gives rewards as good as the best stuff you can find in game and other things which makes it arguably Pay 2 win. And even if its not P2W at launch its obvious to anyone who is familiar with MMO's that it will end up that way.

3. Pointless zerg pvp- PvP is supposed to be the strength of GW2 but in reality it is extremely shallow. PvP basically consists of running around in zergs and punching gates for hours on end for no reason.  There is no actual purpose to GW2 pvp. No ladders, rankings, and no way to build a rep because you are given a generic name so nobody knows who you are.

4. No endgame- GW2 endgame= the same stuff you were doing since level one since "everything is endgame". Once you hit 80 there is nothing to do which provides actual character progression anymore.

I really wanted this game to succeed and be great but I cant lie to myself. The fact is that GW2 is shallow and generic. Its more elves and orcs fantasy that we have seen a million times. GW2 is really just WoW minus raids and sub fees. Luckily TSW's excellent stories and atmosphere which is unique and difficult will be able to tide me over until Planetside 2 launches which will be the next big MMO that revolutionizes the genre.

1- Simple pve system? as opposed to what other complex and deep pve system?

2- gonna call you BS on this one.

3- again see number 2.

4- mix of see above and did you play all the way to lvl 80? di you actually explore the whole world of GW2 to come to that conclusion?

Have fun with failcom in TSW, and enjoy PS2 when its out(I will too) sad that your "opinion" and "views" so cloud your eyes to GW2.

• darkbamydarkbamy Member UncommonPosts: 111
    now if GW2 was a monthly sub then yes i would complain...but since its 1 time buy and play all you whant....why the hell would ya complain
    Originally posted by Amjoco
    Originally posted by Derpybird
    Originally posted by heartless
    [mod edit]

The OP said that he's going to play TSW instead. That's why all of the "have fun in TSW" posts. Did you even read the OP or did you simply jumped at the chance to insult the community?

No. I didnt see that part (multitasking) but my previous readings of the GW2 "my preciuous" threads was what I was really leaning towards. 

And I dont think I have ever witnesed a "community" like the Gw2 one (MAYBE TOR back last year) but GW2 is not really an MMORPG contentwise.

Oh, and I will be playing too. Just like GW 1 its a nice break from my regular MMO for a casual few hours a week. I like the concept but it isnt anything as its being painted as (the savior, etc.) its actually kinda shallow....Which is okay.

It is so strange, I can't remember the last time I saw a post from a GW2 "fan" using this term. In fact, the only time I see it used regularly is when people are making pot-shots at the GW2 community.

I am paraphrasing (as I said I am miulti-tasking) but words such as "revolutionize MMOs" and such - "new model" etc. ... Its the gist of their words. Again, if you havnt seen this attitude I know not what to say.

Also, AGAIN- We will have to necro some threads a few months down the line. GW2 isnt a bad game, its a very casual game that will not hold interest long term like a standard MMO SHOULD. No monthly (as the OP said) is because they could possibly charge on for whats offered. That doesnt make it "bad" but in a few months people will be bitching they paid a Bocx Price for what should be a F2P game. This is based on this crazy hype.

I am fine as I KNOW what to evxpect. Something to play in small spurts. Others think they are getting a full fledged MMO andits not going to be prety.

In your opinion what is a full fledged mmo? Since there are a whole crud full of people I think it would classify as one. Perhaps you just meant an mmorpg? If so, to me a full fledged MMORPG  has true adventure and this is the first of it's kind. Perhaps you think that without raids or gear grinding it isn't an mmorpg? I think that most all rpgs hold their roots from P&P games and I can't recall any that I played having either of those.

This is the first MMO you have found adventure in (and yes I mean MMORPG)- WIOW.

I am old school. I found adventure in many games from the Original NWN (on AOL) , Meridian 59, UO , etc.... Also found adventure in WOW (yes, I said it lol) which was a good game for its time.

Anyhow...

• DerpybirdDerpybird Member Posts: 991

It is so strange, I can't remember the last time I saw a post from a GW2 "fan" using this term. In fact, the only time I see it used regularly is when people are making pot-shots at the GW2 community.

I am paraphrasing (as I said I am miulti-tasking) but words such as "revolutionize MMOs" and such - "new model" etc. ... Its the gist of their words. Again, if you havnt seen this attitude I know not what to say.

Also, AGAIN- We will have to necro some threads a few months down the line. GW2 isnt a bad game, its a very casual game that will not hold interest long term like a standard MMO SHOULD. No monthly (as the OP said) is because they could possibly charge on for whats offered. That doesnt make it "bad" but in a few months people will be bitching they paid a Bocx Price for what should be a F2P game. This is based on this crazy hype.

This seems to be the new theme picked up by several folks leading into launch: the game is fine nothing special but people will leave it after a month.

What is the origin of this idea? Because it doesn't have traditional raids? WoW has a pretty extensive raid yet only 5-10% of the player base actually participated until LFR was introduced, yet people kept playing. Only 1.5% of the player base completed Firelands on normal. So is it raids that keep people hooked, or having things to do in game that are fun? Why is WoW adding pet battles and farming and a bunch of other stuff on top of a tiered LFR?

Furthermore, no one has seen past level 35 except the in-house beta testers. So unless you have inside knowledge, you're just guessing that DE's don't evolve as the game progresses to give the game a terrific hook, ending in Orr. We know there is a post launch content team. We know they can create large scale events in a 12 hour window that impact significant portions of the map. We know they want to keep people playing so they can make money and sell expansions in a year.

Yet you are certain that people will leave after a month, despite the fact that the game is launching with over 1500 dynamic events, 8 dungeons, massive WvW, sPvP, jumping puzzles, cosmetic gear grinds, epic weapon grinds, and so on. We're talking hundreds of hours of content in the box, and a game that is incredibly alt-friendly.

So yes, necro threads and so on. I can already list the names of most of the posters that will be populating them saying "See I told you so." It's the same group that has posted every BWE while a significant number of players were enjoying the game.

At any rate, we shall shortly see who is right.

"Loading screens" are not "instances".
    Your personal efforts to troll any game will not, in fact, impact the success or failure of said game.

• cyress8cyress8 Member Posts: 832

And what is your definition of a full fledged MMO?  Every person I've seen say something like that come up with half empty answers.

And please remember, games like WoW took years to get to where it is now in terms of content and systems.  

Well, to be frank- There hasnt been many "full fledged MMOs" IMHO in quite some time. A bunch of hype and marketing has been the industry standard in most cases- As in this case.

Again, not arguing. I am telling the truth here. This game isnt what the hype is portraying. Its casual and lacking content. In a few months I will persoonally necro threads when the SHTF (and it will)

I am happy with it (not a hater)- But I also didnt buy the hype. Those buying the hypew are going to be pissed. No need to argue, just watch and see.

You still did not answer his question.  What is your definition of a full fledged MMO?  GW2 has everthing Vanilla Wow had plus more.  So, please answer the question and stop droning on.

BOOYAKA!

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    Originally posted by Psychow
    Originally posted by colddog04
    I see a lot of people say the game is mediocre or that they don't like it much, but then say they are buying it anyway. 

[mod edit]

I feel like the person who you quoted =P

It IS mediocre- But with no sub its a fun diversion for a few hours a week or during downtime. The people who are buying the hype and thinking this will be like a standarfd MMO are going to be upset- It isnt. Its a casual, few hours a week, mess around with kinda game. Its shallow and made to play in short spurts.

This is the TRUTH.

If you look past this insane hype and know what you are really getting- You will be happy with it.

I have purchased a mediocre game- But with no sub I am cool with that . 

This is what you believe, and it is an opinion of your own truth, it is not mine. :)

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

Originally posted by darkbamy
    now if GW2 was a monthly sub then yes i would complain...but since its 1 time buy and play all you whant....why the hell would ya complain

And this is what the argument is about.

I agree with you totally. No sub makes this a grerat buy for casual play. There isnt enough depth here for a sub and yet the hype has this game being "revolutioinary" and the best thing since sliced bread.

Throw a sub on here and this game wouldnt even sell. This doesnt make it "bad" this just means the hype is getting out of control and peoiple are going to be disapointed thinking they are buying something that isnt going to be what they think.

• rykim86rykim86 Member Posts: 236

You're confusing truth with opinion.  And no, we're not arguing, it's just some debate.  I know some of our comments will draw the trolls, but ignore them.

Vanilla WoW was far from full fledged.  I took a break from WoW for a couple months...up until they released the Honor system.  Because there wasn't anyhting to do but quest and grind the instances.

The content I've played during BWE for GW2 clearly puts a foundation for what I and other players should expect.  At a moderate pace, and about ~10 hours, I finished the human starting area of Queensdale.  That's just one of the beginner areas.  I can't imagine what's in store in the 60+.  I didn't even get a chance to play with crafting, gathering or any of the mini games.

I agree to not lose yourself in the hype.  But many people have looked at GW2 in a subjective manner.  I've also talked to the ArenaNet employees themselves while attending PAX Prime 2010 and 2011.  The way they talk about their game, the way they observed people playing their game, getting feedback, jotting notes etc...  It's hard not to see why people are getting excited about it.

Originally posted by colddog04
    I see a lot of people say the game is mediocre or that they don't like it much, but then say they are buying it anyway. 

[mod edit]

I feel like the person who you quoted =P

It IS mediocre- But with no sub its a fun diversion for a few hours a week or during downtime. The people who are buying the hype and thinking this will be like a standarfd MMO are going to be upset- It isnt. Its a casual, few hours a week, mess around with kinda game. Its shallow and made to play in short spurts.

This is the TRUTH.

If you look past this insane hype and know what you are really getting- You will be happy with it.

I have purchased a mediocre game- But with no sub I am cool with that . 

This is what you believe, and it is an opinion of your own truth, it is not mine. :)

-Agree. Lets necro some threads in six months and see. =D

• AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    The amusing part will be all the doom sayers camping this forum waiting for "man, GW2 really bites!" and scrambling to pipe in with "I told you it would!!" replies. Of course people will not like the game, even though they thought they might, and then come here to whine about it. Hopefully they will be asked why, not that it will matter to the ITYS crowd.

This is the first MMO you have found adventure in (and yes I mean MMORPG)- WIOW.

I am old school. I found adventure in many games from the Original NWN (on AOL) , Meridian 59, UO , etc.... Also found adventure in WOW (yes, I said it lol) which was a good game for its time.

Anyhow...

You found surface level "looking around the next corner" exploring, we all have done this. The kind of exploring that you basically were guided through because it was part of a quest hub. GW2 offers much more than that. Canyons, crevices, underwater passages, mountains to climb, vistas, jumping puzzles, etc, etc. To me this is more of an rpg than any of the previous games to date.

I do understand where you are coming from though, I'm just trying to say that there is much more to an mmorpg than raiding because you got to a high enough level and can wear gear to do it. /shrug. :)

edit:snip

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• cronius77cronius77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,652
    guild wars 1 did what 7 mil copies sold? why wouldnt guild wars 2 do well? Even if its the next wow people here will be complaining about it saying we all suck who enjoy it just like they did with wow for years.  Box sells and how many servers are active will speak volumes here not the angry post counts of some of these guys here.
  • aionixaionix Member UncommonPosts: 288
    Your opinion is noted Bilbo.....but we already knew this from your posts all over the forums...so this thread is just kinda repetitive and uneeded..../sigh

Anyhow...

You found surface level "looking around the next corner" exploring, we all have done this. The kind of exploring that you basically were guided through because it was part of a quest hub. GW2 offers much more than that. Canyons, crevices, underwater passages, mountains to climb, vistas, jumping puzzles, etc, etc. To me this is more of an rpg than any of the previous games to date.

I do understand where you are coming from though, I'm just trying to say that there is much more to an mmorpg than raiding because you got to a high enough level and can wear gear to do it. /shrug. :)

al but opne of the games I mentioned didnt even have quests.

Only one of the games I mentioned had raiding.

NVM (I am not a raid junkie and I hate quests anyhow)

• heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993
    Originally posted by MosesZD
    Originally posted by Creslin321
    Originally posted by Istavaan
    Guild wars 2 has to be the most trolled mmo to date, i don't understand it because it's a solid game.

Yep, I agree.

There was a lot of hate thrown at SWTOR before release as well, but I felt like much of it was actually warranted.  GW2 hate posts though, they are always like one or two legitimate reasons of why someone may not like the game, and then a bunch of stuff that is basically made up.

I mean...if you don't like the game because it has no raiding, no mounts, or no trinity...then just say that, you don't need to say any more.  But just about everyone HAS to say more it seems...and that's when we get the absolute BS complaints like 

1.  No endgame.

2.  PvP is a zergfest.

3.  Combat is just a spamfest and requires no skill.

4.  Cash shop is pure P2W.

You want to talk about misinformation? Just look at the way you tried to spin the points I made.

1. I never stated that GW2 had no endgame. I said it has an endgame that isnt very good and is the same stuff you had already been doing.

2. PvP IS a zergfest. Its dozens of players roving around from keep to keep punching gates. That is GW2 pvp in a nutshell.

3. Combat is incredibly simple and easy. You only have like 7 skills and mashing them works fine  in pvp and pve since the game is so easy (ie. requires no skill)

4. I said it is near Pay 2 win. It isnt quite full-on p2w. Yet...(it will be though yo u can count on it).

You just described TSW perfectly. I thought that we were talking about GW2 here?

I like both games.   LIke it or not, combat is far more similar than different.    So, no high-horses please.  

I was just pointing out how what the OP stated about GW2 applies just as well to TSW, the game he apparently considers better than GW2.

• PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784
    Originally posted by Aelious
    The amusing part will be all the doom sayers camping this forum waiting for "man, GW2 really bites!" and scrambling to pipe in with "I told you it would!!" replies. Of course people will not like the game, even though they thought they might, and then come here to whine about it. Hopefully they will be asked why, not that it will matter to the ITYS crowd.

I've never understood why people would hope to "not" like something. You would think that having more things that people like would be a good thing.

Anyhow...

al but opne of the games I mentioned didnt even have quests.

Only one of the games I mentioned had raiding.

NVM (I am not a raid junkie and I hate quests anyhow)

Ok Sir, I do see where you are coming from. Most people that dislike GW2 are hardcore raiders, and to them that is what an mmorpg is all about.  Thank you for your opinion!!! 

I've never understood why people would hope to "not" like something. You would think that having more things that people like would be a good thing.

It's impossible to create a game which will equally appeal to everyone. The great thing is that there are a lot of MMOs out there and chances are, whatever your preference is, there is a game for your niche.

• PelagatoPelagato Member UncommonPosts: 673
    Originally posted by Vannor

elves and orcs fantasy that we have seen a million times. GW2 is really just WoW minus raids and sub fees.

minus the elves and orcs as well...

The rest of your post though is your opinion, yet a politely disagree with all of it. Sorry the game didn't work out for you and I hope you find what you want.

No raids doesnt sound like an opinion at all... its just a fact...

Originally posted by Pelagato

elves and orcs fantasy that we have seen a million times. GW2 is really just WoW minus raids and sub fees.

The rest of your post though is your opinion, yet a politely disagree with all of it. Sorry the game didn't work out for you and I hope you find what you want.

There are raids though. It's just that they are not instanced.

.... In most cases it isnt folks hoping NOT to like something.

Its HYPE.... Its people purchasing something based on HYPE and then finding dissapointment- Then we hear "t he sub model is dead" and "nobody wants to pay a sub" (ala SWTOR) when people were happy to pay a sub but were disapointed due to the HYPE.

Same with GW2- The second most overhyped game I can remember.

Take the hype away and people will know what they are really getting into. As I said I like GW2- I also feel its shallow (which is fine since there isnt a sub)- But I knew what I was getting into thus I am happy...

Others buy the hype and find disapointment. But the boxes are sold. Thats the problem with the genre right now. Its predatory marketing.

GW2 is a fine game. But if you are expecting what most are- Its going to suck. And very soon (six months) I reckon P2W items (its close now IMO) and people angry at a box price for a F2P game. People angry for not getting what the HYPE has painted. People just...Angry.

I wont be- But again- I KNEW what I was purchasing.

• YakkinYakkin Member Posts: 919
    Apparently you need to be completely addicted to the point that you give up everything else to play the game in order for it to be considered a true MMO. Otherwise it's "SHALLOW AND MEDIOCRE."
  • PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784

It's impossible to create a game which will equally appeal to everyone. The great thing is that there are a lot of MMOs out there and chances are, whatever your preference is, there is a game for your niche.

Yeah, but why would people want others to not like a game?

I get that I may or may not like a game. What I don't understand is why I would hope YOU wouldn't like the game? It doesn't make any sense to me. YOU not liking a game will not help ME in any way.  See what I'm sayin?

• rykim86rykim86 Member Posts: 236
    Originally posted by Pelagato

I did the Shatterer and Tequatl and they felt enough like a raid boss.

This discussion has been closed.