Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cancelled my pre-order today. Heres why

Comments

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by Istavaan
    Why would you cancel your pre order on a game that costs only 60 bucks and you can play it anytime you want without having to commit to a sub, where is the logic in that?

Because buying a game he will probably never play leaves him $60 out of pocket?

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    Originally posted by otinanai123
    Originally posted by BilboDoggins

Months ago before I started ebta testing this game I was very excited. I had bought into the hype that GW2 was the future and was gonna do things differently but after all the beta testing I finally had to be honest with myself about the game. The truth is that GW2 is basically more of the same with a few differences.

1. No raids- ANet removed raids because they know that their PVE system is to simple and casual to support complex and difficult raiding. Raids like everything else in GW2 (like pvp) are nothing but a button mashing zergfest. Having raids would have made this all the more obvious.

2. No sub fee but cash shop oreiented which borders on P2W- One of GW2 's big selling points is that it has no sub-fee. This is a good thing but in all honesty they HAD to do this since GW2 simply doesnt have the content to justify paying a monthly sub. So instead ANet added a cash shop which gives rewards as good as the best stuff you can find in game and other things which makes it arguably Pay 2 win. And even if its not P2W at launch its obvious to anyone who is familiar with MMO's that it will end up that way.

3. Pointless zerg pvp- PvP is supposed to be the strength of GW2 but in reality it is extremely shallow. PvP basically consists of running around in zergs and punching gates for hours on end for no reason.  There is no actual purpose to GW2 pvp. No ladders, rankings, and no way to build a rep because you are given a generic name so nobody knows who you are.

4. No endgame- GW2 endgame= the same stuff you were doing since level one since "everything is endgame". Once you hit 80 there is nothing to do which provides actual character progression anymore.

I really wanted this game to succeed and be great but I cant lie to myself. The fact is that GW2 is shallow and generic. Its more elves and orcs fantasy that we have seen a million times. GW2 is really just WoW minus raids and sub fees. Luckily TSW's excellent stories and atmosphere which is unique and difficult will be able to tide me over until Planetside 2 launches which will be the next big MMO that revolutionizes the genre.

OP I cannot agree with point 2 but 1,3,4 are valid. 

Personally I will still buy GW2 because I never liked raids and IMO leveling from 1 to 80 alone will be worth the 60 bucks (and who knows, maybe in the future they'll get PvP right as well)

Which is fair since by then we'll all know what the content is like and not guess on it.

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    I see a lot of people say the game is mediocre or that they don't like it much, but then say they are buying it anyway. 
  • NaeviusNaevius Member UncommonPosts: 334

The only beta testers are people who have ALREADY bought the game. (Pre-purchase, not pre-order.)

So nothing to cancel. Congrats.

• Entropy14Entropy14 Member UncommonPosts: 675

Yes, and like all games, ppl will quit , or cancel, I hope every single 12 million ppl that played wow, makes a thread on why they did so.

I would aslo like to see a 7 billion people on earth who will not play this game, tell us why , be quite exciting.

We get it , the game is not for everyone, in fact theres a good chance the game is not for me, but ill try it, if im having fun , ill keep playing if not ill quit , and not make a thread on why i quit.....

• AldersAlders Member RarePosts: 2,207

I really wanted this game to succeed and be great but I cant lie to myself. The fact is that GW2 is shallow and generic. Its more elves and orcs fantasy that we have seen a million times. GW2 is really just WoW minus raids and sub fees. Luckily TSW's excellent stories and atmosphere which is unique and difficult will be able to tide me over until Planetside 2 launches which will be the next big MMO that revolutionizes the genre.

So much irony in that last sentence.

Also, I'm going to go ahead and call you out on not having actually played the game.  Going to go so far as to say your first sentence is complete bullshit as well.

• YakkinYakkin Member Posts: 919
    Originally posted by Alders

So much irony in that last sentence.

Did I miss something w/ PlanetSide 2?

• MosesZDMosesZD Member UncommonPosts: 1,361
    Originally posted by lotaparty
    Originally posted by FlawSGI

Man this guy again with the GW2 hate.  I put him on block long ago and I suggest anyone that is looking for a real discussion do the same because you won't get one. Here, I'll leave this here again and keep asking myself WTF you keep making threads in GW2 section OP if it aint to troll.  

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/post/5082046#5082046

By your own words you were gonna stop trolling the GW2 forums and MMORPG in general and if you can't even be honest with that, then how can anything you say afterwards be taken seriousely?

Thats funny. You and Aerowyn and others keep claiming I hate on GW2 constantly and Im always created threads here...

Except that all you can  point to it one thread where I said I planned to play the game and was only whin ing about the GW2 fanboys. I also didnt even post that thread in the GW2 forums!

So how is it that I'm supposedly always trolling the GW2 forums when I have made like one thread in the GW2 forums? Me thinks you like to exaggerate a bit....

i am not interested in the game .but seriously there have been alot of surge of troll posts and most of the guys in those posts are praising TSW and bashing GW2  . all three of the posts i have seen . it surely shows to me that the community at TSW is worried that the game will go f2p soon .

No.  You just made that up.  Bottom line is, some of us like both games.  So we see who goes to what forums and how they behave much differently there than they talk here...  And we know what the conversations are...   And, by-and-large, there is no huge fear (though some trolling about it) regarding F2P.

I've also seen quite a few people in this thread who are currently on their high horse who go to the TSW forums and troll them. I didn't respond to any of them, but seeing such hypocritical behavior is amusing.

So, at best it's a pot/kettle situation.

• Grimrist000Grimrist000 Member Posts: 82
    Originally posted by Nightgroper
    Originally posted by HeWhoKnocks
    http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/post/5081999

This guy has a point, why are you still here, bilbodoggins?

thread should've ended here. can anyone actually take the OP seriously after that old thread?

"I really wanted this game to succeed and be great but I cant lie to myself"

this has got to be the biggest horsedung i've ever seen someone post on here and that's saying something. 

• heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993
    Originally posted by Phaleg31
    Originally posted by Aerowyn

Yeah but they encourage you to go back and do heart quests you missed for "endgame". Maybe next time you should know what yer talking about before replying to me with some snide ignorant remark?

pretty ironic when it's obvious you have no clue what you are talking about in pretty much every single thread when you try to state "facts" about the game

Once again Aerowhatever not giving any thought or coherent logic into her defending GW2....

"It's Obvious" you have "no clue" when trying to defend your game against people who dislike it......

It's already been pointed out multiple times in this thread. Instead of attacking people, why do you just skim through the thread instead?

• heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993
    Originally posted by SaintPhilip
    [mod edit]

The OP said that he's going to play TSW instead. That's why all of the "have fun in TSW" posts. Did you even read the OP or did you simply jumped at the chance to insult the community?

• FlawSGIFlawSGI Member UncommonPosts: 1,379
    Originally posted by heartless
    [mod edit]

The OP said that he's going to play TSW instead. That's why all of the "have fun in TSW" posts. Did you even read the OP or did you simply jumped at the chance to insult the community?

He kneejerked it. Apparently the popular thing is to belittle a community while making yourself sound above it all. I see a lot of that going around.

RIP Jimmy "The Rev" Sullivan and Paul Gray.

Originally posted by Enigmatus
    Originally posted by Tokken
    what about the JOURNEY to the endgame... Isn't the journey satisfying, too?

The journey in almost every MMO has been trivialized to the point that most people probably see it as an obstacle rather than an experience.

Which is sadly true.    Even LOTRO is moving away from story to raiding and dailies.

Originally posted by Creslin321
    Originally posted by Istavaan
    Guild wars 2 has to be the most trolled mmo to date, i don't understand it because it's a solid game.

Yep, I agree.

There was a lot of hate thrown at SWTOR before release as well, but I felt like much of it was actually warranted.  GW2 hate posts though, they are always like one or two legitimate reasons of why someone may not like the game, and then a bunch of stuff that is basically made up.

I mean...if you don't like the game because it has no raiding, no mounts, or no trinity...then just say that, you don't need to say any more.  But just about everyone HAS to say more it seems...and that's when we get the absolute BS complaints like 

1.  No endgame.

2.  PvP is a zergfest.

3.  Combat is just a spamfest and requires no skill.

4.  Cash shop is pure P2W.

You want to talk about misinformation? Just look at the way you tried to spin the points I made.

1. I never stated that GW2 had no endgame. I said it has an endgame that isnt very good and is the same stuff you had already been doing.

2. PvP IS a zergfest. Its dozens of players roving around from keep to keep punching gates. That is GW2 pvp in a nutshell.

3. Combat is incredibly simple and easy. You only have like 7 skills and mashing them works fine  in pvp and pve since the game is so easy (ie. requires no skill)

4. I said it is near Pay 2 win. It isnt quite full-on p2w. Yet...(it will be though yo u can count on it).

You just described TSW perfectly. I thought that we were talking about GW2 here?

I like both games.   LIke it or not, combat is far more similar than different.    So, no high-horses please.  

Originally posted by Enigmatus
    [mod edit]
    [mod edit]

I would say all MMOs.   People are people and some of them are jerks.   At times, all of us will fall into someone else's 'jerk' category no matter how 'reasonable' or 'honest' we may think we are...

It's part of the human condition.   Sometimes you just act the fool...

• Lion.CrossLion.Cross Member Posts: 13
    I would to thank the OP for giving Guild Wars 2 even more publicity, and increasing the traffic in the Guild Wars 2 forums. Thank you OP!
  • Syno23Syno23 Member UncommonPosts: 1,360
    Originally posted by Thrashbarg
    Hard to take anyone seriously when they insist on making the same post over and over again, despite it mostly being misinformation. All the OP's "points" have been countered already (and in numerous previous threads). Hope he's getting paid well for his time.....

There's no other MMO worthy to play but GW2. So the OP is essentially wasting his time.

• SaintPhilipSaintPhilip Member Posts: 713
    [mod edit]

No. I didnt see that part (multitasking) but my previous readings of the GW2 "my preciuous" threads was what I was really leaning towards. 

And I dont think I have ever witnesed a "community" like the Gw2 one (MAYBE TOR back last year) but GW2 is not really an MMORPG contentwise.

Oh, and I will be playing too. Just like GW 1 its a nice break from my regular MMO for a casual few hours a week. I like the concept but it isnt anything as its being painted as (the savior, etc.) its actually kinda shallow....Which is okay.

• DerpybirdDerpybird Member Posts: 991
    [mod edit]

No. I didnt see that part (multitasking) but my previous readings of the GW2 "my preciuous" threads was what I was really leaning towards. 

And I dont think I have ever witnesed a "community" like the Gw2 one (MAYBE TOR back last year) but GW2 is not really an MMORPG contentwise.

Oh, and I will be playing too. Just like GW 1 its a nice break from my regular MMO for a casual few hours a week. I like the concept but it isnt anything as its being painted as (the savior, etc.) its actually kinda shallow....Which is okay.

It is so strange, I can't remember the last time I saw a post from a GW2 "fan" using this term. In fact, the only time I see it used regularly is when people are making pot-shots at the GW2 community.

"Loading screens" are not "instances".
    Your personal efforts to troll any game will not, in fact, impact the success or failure of said game.

Originally posted by Derpybird
    [mod edit]

It is so strange, I can't remember the last time I saw a post from a GW2 "fan" using this term. In fact, the only time I see it used regularly is when people are making pot-shots at the GW2 community.

I am paraphrasing (as I said I am miulti-tasking) but words such as "revolutionize MMOs" and such - "new model" etc. ... Its the gist of their words. Again, if you havnt seen this attitude I know not what to say.

Also, AGAIN- We will have to necro some threads a few months down the line. GW2 isnt a bad game, its a very casual game that will not hold interest long term like a standard MMO SHOULD. No monthly (as the OP said) is because they could possibly charge on for whats offered. That doesnt make it "bad" but in a few months people will be bitching they paid a Bocx Price for what should be a F2P game. This is based on this crazy hype.

I am fine as I KNOW what to evxpect. Something to play in small spurts. Others think they are getting a full fledged MMO andits not going to be prety.

• rykim86rykim86 Member Posts: 236

Opinion is an opinion.  

But it doesn't mean they can't be wrong...as in the case of the OP.

1 - ArenaNet has always maintained their stance that dynamic events is what will flagship GW2.  I can't ever recall them talking about raids.  And when questions were asked about it, it was always replied with something to do with dynamic events. [mod edit]

2 - I don't know which cash shop you were looking at, but it obviously wasn't GW2.  I'm wracking my brain here, but for the life of me....I don't recall seeing a legendary weapon for sale on there.  

Now, they could add things that are considered P2W in the future, who knows, [mod edit]

3 - Pointless zerg?  /looks at WoW, WAR..../laughs.

No ladder?  No rankings?  Uhhhh...pretty damn sure GW and ArenaNet were the first to host actual rewarding tournaments and tourneys.  You don't think that won't carry over to GW2?

4 - End game content.  Hmmm.  So you're telling me you've played all the way to level 80?  How were the other dungeons?  Did you finish the legendaries?  How many acheivements did you complete?  What was your highest sPvP ranking?  And most of all......how was Orr?

[mod edit]

• AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521

I'm curious as to why you think this.  I rather liked the fact that in one weekend of playing I got to level 13 in a 1-15 zone I almost finished, did no crafting or storyline and had 3% of the total map discovered.  Of course we cannot see the deeper content other than knowing the mechanics (hearts become less and then go away for DEs, etc.) so that is indeed a ?.

Maybe you like raid or PvP content so you don't see GW2 offering much to you but these statements were kind of vague.

Originally posted by Psychow
    Originally posted by colddog04
    I see a lot of people say the game is mediocre or that they don't like it much, but then say they are buying it anyway. 

[mod edit]

I feel like the person who you quoted =P

It IS mediocre- But with no sub its a fun diversion for a few hours a week or during downtime. The people who are buying the hype and thinking this will be like a standarfd MMO are going to be upset- It isnt. Its a casual, few hours a week, mess around with kinda game. Its shallow and made to play in short spurts.

This is the TRUTH.

If you look past this insane hype and know what you are really getting- You will be happy with it.

I have purchased a mediocre game- But with no sub I am cool with that . 

• rykim86rykim86 Member Posts: 236

I am fine as I KNOW what to evxpect. Something to play in small spurts. Others think they are getting a full fledged MMO andits not going to be prety.

And what is your definition of a full fledged MMO?  Every person I've seen say something like that come up with half empty answers.

And please remember, games like WoW took years to get to where it is now in terms of content and systems.  

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    Originally posted by Derpybird
    [mod edit]

I am paraphrasing (as I said I am miulti-tasking) but words such as "revolutionize MMOs" and such - "new model" etc. ... Its the gist of their words. Again, if you havnt seen this attitude I know not what to say.

Also, AGAIN- We will have to necro some threads a few months down the line. GW2 isnt a bad game, its a very casual game that will not hold interest long term like a standard MMO SHOULD. No monthly (as the OP said) is because they could possibly charge on for whats offered. That doesnt make it "bad" but in a few months people will be bitching they paid a Bocx Price for what should be a F2P game. This is based on this crazy hype.

In your opinion what is a full fledged mmo? Since there are a whole crud full of people I think it would classify as one. Perhaps you just meant an mmorpg? If so, to me a full fledged MMORPG  has true adventure and this is the first of it's kind. Perhaps you think that without raids or gear grinding it isn't an mmorpg? I think that most all rpgs hold their roots from P&P games and I can't recall any that I played having either of those.

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

This discussion has been closed.