Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cancelled my pre-order today. Heres why

BilboDogginsBilboDoggins Member Posts: 198

Months ago before I started ebta testing this game I was very excited. I had bought into the hype that GW2 was the future and was gonna do things differently but after all the beta testing I finally had to be honest with myself about the game. The truth is that GW2 is basically more of the same with a few differences.

1. No raids- ANet removed raids because they know that their PVE system is to simple and casual to support complex and difficult raiding. Raids like everything else in GW2 (like pvp) are nothing but a button mashing zergfest. Having raids would have made this all the more obvious.

2. No sub fee but cash shop oreiented which borders on P2W- One of GW2 's big selling points is that it has no sub-fee. This is a good thing but in all honesty they HAD to do this since GW2 simply doesnt have the content to justify paying a monthly sub. So instead ANet added a cash shop which gives rewards as good as the best stuff you can find in game and other things which makes it arguably Pay 2 win. And even if its not P2W at launch its obvious to anyone who is familiar with MMO's that it will end up that way.

3. Pointless zerg pvp- PvP is supposed to be the strength of GW2 but in reality it is extremely shallow. PvP basically consists of running around in zergs and punching gates for hours on end for no reason.  There is no actual purpose to GW2 pvp. No ladders, rankings, and no way to build a rep because you are given a generic name so nobody knows who you are.

4. No endgame- GW2 endgame= the same stuff you were doing since level one since "everything is endgame". Once you hit 80 there is nothing to do which provides actual character progression anymore.

I really wanted this game to succeed and be great but I cant lie to myself. The fact is that GW2 is shallow and generic. Its more elves and orcs fantasy that we have seen a million times. GW2 is really just WoW minus raids and sub fees. Luckily TSW's excellent stories and atmosphere which is unique and difficult will be able to tide me over until Planetside 2 launches which will be the next big MMO that revolutionizes the genre.

Comments

• MadKingMadKing Member UncommonPosts: 173
    Thanks for sharing your views, have fun playing TSW, everyone wins.
  • BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    I'm glad that you found a game you like.
  • DJJazzyDJJazzy Member UncommonPosts: 2,053
    I'm glad you could tell us this information. Good luck with TSW.
  • TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    Originally posted by BilboDoggins

elves and orcs fantasy that we have seen a million times. GW2 is really just WoW minus raids and sub fees.

minus the elves and orcs as well...

The rest of your post though is your opinion, yet a politely disagree with all of it. Sorry the game didn't work out for you and I hope you find what you want.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591

If you think guild Wars 2 is like WoW than I refuse to believe you even played GW2 as it is nothing like it. Also "it will eventually become P2W," is not a true statement. It's very obvious you don't know ANet. Have you played the original Guild Wars? That has a cash shop too and it never become P2W. They have always stayed true to their players in the original, and I see no reason to think that they wouldn't do the same for Guild Wars 2.

Also you mistook WvsW for PvP.

Smile

• DerpybirdDerpybird Member Posts: 991

Is this post going to turn out like this post?

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/post/5081999#5081999

"Loading screens" are not "instances".
    Your personal efforts to troll any game will not, in fact, impact the success or failure of said game.

• EzhaeEzhae Member UncommonPosts: 735

Well, I guess sorry it didn't work out for You have fun elsewhere? 

Just wodnering, since all the points you've made were pretty clearly communicated prior to release, why did You even pre-order? Or was hype alone enough to make you do it? Just curious what makes people buy things they know they won't like...

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066

Thanks for your views albeit filled with misconceptions and mistakes (for example Anet removing something that was never talked about like raids, confusing WvW with PvP).

Not that you played the game (at least for any extended period of time).

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• BilboDogginsBilboDoggins Member Posts: 198
    Originally posted by Wolfynsong

Are you willfully misinformed, or just trolling?

I mean, come on.  No endgame?  How exactly would you know that?  Have you made it there?

The info is out there and available if you want to get informed about GW2's "endgame". Basically all there is to do is the same events and heart quests and pvp you were already doing except it provides no real progression at all. Also the gear provides no upgrades. You can grind a legendary rainbow sword which also provides the same stats as every other lvl 80 sword.

• RhygarthRhygarth Member UncommonPosts: 259
    bye....
  • RoybeRoybe Member UncommonPosts: 420
    Sorry you didn't care for the game.  Hope you can find something that you will enjoy to play.  Although I disagree with much of what you say, I understand everyone has to make a choice about how they spend their time and money.  Good luck in your future gameplay.
  • n3v3rriv3rn3v3rriv3r Member UncommonPosts: 496
    Fair enough. I envy you. You found a game you like. I can just hope gw2 will be as good as they are promising.
  • MalevilMalevil Member Posts: 468
    bye

I mean, come on.  No endgame?  How exactly would you know that?  Have you made it there?

The info is out there and available if you want to get informed about GW2's "endgame". Basically all there is to do is the same events and heart quests and pvp you were already doing except it provides no real progression at all. Also the gear provides no upgrades. You can grind a legendary rainbow sword which also provides the same stats as every other lvl 80 sword.

The fact Anet said there was no Heart Quests in the level 80 areas somehow eluded your extremely detailed research....

Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• nadrian3knadrian3k Member UncommonPosts: 101
    U clearly have no clue or any capacity of finding out about the game. Glad we are -1
  • DrakynnDrakynn Member Posts: 2,030
    Originally posted by Derpybird

Is this post going to turn out like this post?

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/post/5081999#5081999

he used the word Adieu...I do not think it means what he thinks it means....

• XzenXzen Member UncommonPosts: 2,607
    Is there really anyone left on these forums that is not aware of BilboDoggins posting history? Is this thread any thing new? Nope just more of the same old BilboDoggins.
  • stragen001stragen001 Member UncommonPosts: 1,720
    Kthxbye

Cluck Cluck, Gibber Gibber, My Old Mans A Mushroom

• BilboDogginsBilboDoggins Member Posts: 198
    Originally posted by Gaia_Hunter

The fact Anet said there was no Heart Quests in the level 80 areas somehow eluded your extremely detailed research....

Yeah but they encourage you to go back and do heart quests you missed for "endgame". [mod edit]

• k-damagek-damage Member CommonPosts: 738

So .... let me get this straight : 

1) You're judging lvl 80 content before even having tested it

2) You're judging something you're calling an advantage before even having played against it

3a) You're judging pvp as a lack of ranking, while it's been specifically mentionned that there will be ranking (tournaments)

3b) You're judging pvp as a zerg fest while there are tons of videos that demonstrates some 1vs1 fights inside structured PvP & WvWvW

4) You're judging lvl 80 content before even having tested it

.... and

5) You feel the need to make a thread about it 

Nice internet reputation blasting, dude !

***** Before hitting that reply button, please READ the WHOLE thread you're about to post in *****

• ConnmacartConnmacart Member UncommonPosts: 722

Give him some credit. It's the only true info he posted in this thread. As people will no doubt go back and do heart quests they missed after hitting 80.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928

Yeah but they encourage you to go back and do heart quests you missed for "endgame". Maybe next time you should know what yer talking about before replying to me with some snide ignorant remark?

pretty ironic when it's obvious you have no clue what you are talking about in pretty much every single thread when you try to state "facts" about the game

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

Yeah but they encourage you to go back and do heart quests you missed for "endgame". Maybe next time you should know what yer talking about before replying to me with some snide ignorant remark?

Opposed to all the other games that encourage you to go back to areas that give no xp and no challenge yo get titles/achievements as part of end game?

Yawn....

• MeowheadMeowhead Member UncommonPosts: 3,716

'I'm going to quit MMORPG.com FOREVER because I hate how the GW2 community acts'

'No, wait, I think I'll come back and post some misinformation because I'm sad they haven't gotten personally annoyed at me'.

Oh well.  Have fun with that! :)

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Originally posted by Xzen
    Is there really anyone left on these forums that is not aware of BilboDoggins posting history? Is this thread any thing new? Nope just more of the same old BilboDoggins.

You cant take some people serious.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

This discussion has been closed.