Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Confirmed: largest target is first to be targeted

Comments

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    Every game I've played that had pvp, if there was a smaller race, it's always least targeted. Female Lurikeens and kobolds in DAOC were always targeted least first. People always target the largest characters first, unless they see you're a heal class, then it doesn't matter what you are, if they can see you heal, you're dead first, hehe.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• Master10KMaster10K Member Posts: 3,065
    And that's why my Norn will be a Ranger, pew pew'ing away at a great distance and with a bigass pet to distract them with. image

• RCP_utRCP_ut Member Posts: 263
    So you confirmed that? You really could have chosen a better thread name...
  • aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

I'm not sure why this is news? Players always tend to focus on the more obvious things first.

That said, this whole 'player psychology' is most definitely a generalization. When PUGing, you will absolutely get targetted more if you're a larger character. When you are in more higher-lvl play, the size doesn't matter nearly as much, unless you are a fan of hiding out in bushes. Skilled players see through such simple tricks, and will target people based on the threat they pose, they location on the map, and how much health they have.

• DerpybirdDerpybird Member Posts: 991

For what it's worth, the title of this thread seems to imply that the "targeting of the largest first" has been confirmed by some official source, as opposed to something based on personal experience.

At least that's what I think when I hear that something has been confirmed.

"Loading screens" are not "instances".
    Your personal efforts to troll any game will not, in fact, impact the success or failure of said game.

• FusionFusion Member UncommonPosts: 1,398

Your opinion.

I personally target the one that's closest, lowest in health or the one i deem dangerous towards me.

I found myself targeting norn and charr the least!

http://neocron-game.com/ - now totally F2P no cash-shops or micro transactions at all.
  • BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380
    Originally posted by Derpybird

For what it's worth, the title of this thread seems to imply that the "targeting of the largest first" has been confirmed by some official source, as opposed to something based on personal experience.

Confirmed by me holds weight because I'm awesome. 

• jondifooljondifool Member UncommonPosts: 1,143

I do want to make a very bulky female norn mesmer. And build her around having as many clones as possible. (gaining endurance and use dodging to make ekstra clones). making her as tough as possible and just let every team mate hide behind her.

Then i just want a "it an't over until the fat lady sings" finisher in the cash shop.

• MikeJezZMikeJezZ Member UncommonPosts: 1,268
    Why choose a big target if there's a bigger thread to you?

Learn to play
  • p_c_sousap_c_sousa Member Posts: 620
    Originally posted by Badaboom

Was a norn necro and Asura necro in WvW.   Norn was targeted first by opposing side in skirmishes every time. Same experience in the other WvW matches I tried in other BW's. If you are going to pvp a lot, even though there is tab targeting, people will psychologically target the larger toon and I recommend making the smallest possible class.

Disclaimer:  in my experience of course. 

maybe true on WvW, but on WvW most of people will use AoE skills. 

on tournaments you can make anything you want, a mini asura or a giant Norn will be the same, if you want to be the first target lock just do a canon glass asura build....i can asure you if in your team you have a canon glass warrior build and next to you a giant Norn elementalist the lock target will be the warrior

if dont exist any canon glass build (easy to check after some time on a match) will just lock any target or the one with lowest health.  

for me nig characters the problem isnt the lock target on them is because they are so big and full the screen, is so much diferent to play human or Norn, you fell have much more zoom out and run faster

• DerpybirdDerpybird Member Posts: 991

I shall make a note of this in your file.

"Loading screens" are not "instances".
    Your personal efforts to troll any game will not, in fact, impact the success or failure of said game.

• BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380

I shall make a note of this in your file.

Derpybird is the word!

• the420kidthe420kid Member UncommonPosts: 440

size does matter in WvWvW you are easily visualy seen and chossen as there target theres no real denying this fact regardless of hitbox size.. However

This is not a factor in sPvP / tournies.. the same issue is present but in small scale PvP it does not matter if you are small or large people know whats going on and they will hit the target thats in range for them and good players will chosse targets based on class / build not size.  In the small scale size isnt a factor and I love having HUGE wepons the larger chars look so much cooler than the tiny chars and since I focus on tournies I will be a Norn :P

If you are more focused on the daocesk WvWvW then you might want to take OP seriously as I do believe it is a factor in large scale pvp

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enmojBUiXJQ

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• JustsomenoobJustsomenoob Member UncommonPosts: 880

Don't most people do a quick tab through of people approaching to pick out an appropriate target?

I know if I'm in a group vs group situation and there's no specific plan beforehand, I sift through and quickly look for people missing some hps already/anyone squishy that's close if nothing else.   It certainly isn't ever based on who is most prominent on my screen.

• Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359

Hitboxes schmitboxes.

Norn and Asura may have the same colliders game-engine wise, but you can't ignore the human component here.

Two things have to happen for a character to get hit in PvP (excluding collateral damage):

1.  It must be noticed by a player and targeted.

2.  It must be attacked and hit.

Norn and Asura have the same chance to be hit by the player's attack, but this attacked only comes AFTER the Norn or Asura is noticed and targeted by the player.

And you really don't have to be a genius to realize that a Norn is MUCH easier to notice than an Asura.  In addition, a Norn is also much easier to visually track when lots of movement is involved.  Finally, it's much easier for an Asura to "disappear" behind an object than it is for a Norn.

So yeah, they may have the same hitboxes game engine-wise, but when you consider the human factor, Norn have a MUCH bigger visual "hitbox" as compared to Asura.  In other words, Norn are far more likely to "collide" wihh a player's perception and be targeted.

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

• p_c_sousap_c_sousa Member Posts: 620
    Originally posted by aesperus

I'm not sure why this is news? Players always tend to focus on the more obvious things first.

That said, this whole 'player psychology' is most definitely a generalization. When PUGing, you will absolutely get targetted more if you're a larger character. When you are in more higher-lvl play, the size doesn't matter nearly as much, unless you are a fan of hiding out in bushes. Skilled players see through such simple tricks, and will target people based on the threat they pose, they location on the map, and how much health they have.

but if you want use single target skills on WvW you just need select once the target and lock him,, will appear a big icons above is head even a mini asura will be visible very far, or cant use lock targets on WvW?

asking because know i only play mostly sPvP and when i used play WvW didnt even know about lock target (one of most important things on PvP)

• TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,551

Was a norn necro and Asura necro in WvW.   Norn was targeted first by opposing side in skirmishes every time. Same experience in the other WvW matches I tried in other BW's. If you are going to pvp a lot, even though there is tab targeting, people will psychologically target the larger toon and I recommend making the smallest possible class.

Disclaimer:  in my experience of course. 

That's my experience as well.

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

• terrantterrant Member Posts: 1,683

This is a worry for me, only because I don't want WvW to be "Go Asura or go home". The sad part is it's not something game development can fix. It's just player perception, and I don't know how you change that, 

• Arachneus1Arachneus1 Member UncommonPosts: 248
    Yes it is all psychological - honestly I just attack and the target selects it self with the non targetting system needed.  Turn on the option to display target attacked to show a larger scale of their health bar.  I don't do any tab targetting or click targetting.
  • LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965

This might not be such a bad thing.

If you are playing guardian or warrior , you want to protect the squishy members of your team. And how better than being targeted instead of them.

So dont play Norn if you want to be thief or elementalist

And if you want to be warrior that is never targeted - you are playing it wrong - i recomend you play thief instead

• chopgrchopgr Member Posts: 179
    Originally posted by gaeanprayer

Depends. I went after Asura first in BWE3. Mostly because I enjoy killing cute things. It's like stabbing an arrogant teletubby. Very satisfying.

On a serious note, I would think player psychology would mean people attack the smaller target first, since it's natural to think that the smaller of two people is also the easier one to kill.

Well it kinda stands true that small targets are less visible leading to less targetting, at least at the initial fray. Small characters are hard to select with mouse and you fall back to "tab" targetting till you find em.

Myself as an ex-ex-ex WoW player and a HORDE at that, i always enjoyed going after the Gnomes though :D

http://www.youtube.com/user/chopgr?feature=mhee

"The Heavens burned, the stars
    cried out
    And under the ashes of infinity,
    Hope, scarred and bleeding,
    breathed its last."

• AlotAlot Member Posts: 1,948

I must be special then, because I tend to target the smaller characters as they seem easier to kill.

• NivisiruNivisiru Member UncommonPosts: 186
    Most of the people I know and game with. Would go right for the smaller target first. They tend to be the mage/support, higher % then not. 
  • BlindchanceBlindchance Member UncommonPosts: 1,112
    Originally posted by Stx11

Very misleading post as it has nothing to do with hitbox size or coding, just player psychology.

Nothing to see here, move along...

It's more a personal impression then psychology. Psychology like any sciences is backed by huge ammount of statistics and this is just...an impression nothing more.