Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Would you play

GarmalakGarmalak Member Posts: 38

A game set in a fantasy world, where you are an old professor who has magic powers. Third person action game, with ranged magic and close up sword combat.

?

Oh, and finally an explanation about "lock on" system. The professor has a contraption on his eye to lock on to enemies.

Comments

• stragen001stragen001 Member UncommonPosts: 1,720
    That sounds very generic fantasy mage.....

Cluck Cluck, Gibber Gibber, My Old Mans A Mushroom

• GarmalakGarmalak Member Posts: 38
    It would be a fantasy type genre.

The magic would eventually, perhaps include moving objects, throwing spells (EX: Fire), turning objects into ice, then breaking them, dissolving objects. You can interact with almost anything in the world, including destroy nearly every objects.
  • AmarantharAmaranthar Member EpicPosts: 5,801

So every player is an old professor with a magic monacle and is a mage? Where's the diversity?

But that's beside the point, I guess. My answer would depend on the rest of the game.

If it's a great Sandbox World game, it has possibilities.

Add in some things associated with your premise.

• Each player "old professor" has a room at a college of his choice, and these colleges act sort of like a faction, adding assets and objectives to the "old professor".
    • Our "old professor" can gather NPC students as henchmen of a sort, mostly restricted to the college grounds to do menial tasks (time intensive "research", potion mixing, etc.).
    • One or two students to act as "pets", or Pet handlers for care and feeding in a Sandbox world where pets don't just dissappear and maybe can be raised from young.
    • College acts like a "Bank". Could have physical storage that can be robbed in a PvP centric world, or limit "PvP" to stictly a competitive collections sort of thing.
    In short, it could be a very interesting game. Or not.

Once upon a time....

• warmaster670warmaster670 Member Posts: 1,384
    Originally posted by Amaranthar

So every player is an old professor with a magic monacle and is a mage? Where's the diversity?

No where does he say its an mmorpg, he clearly says third person action game.

Apparently stating the truth in my sig is "trolling"
    Sig typo fixed thanks to an observant stragen001.

Originally posted by warmaster670

No where does he say its an mmorpg, he clearly says third person action game.

This is an MMO forum.

Once upon a time....

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

If developed by a team I'm interested in, probably. Otherwise it's too generic a title for me to really consider until a demo ro trial was out.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

So? It's also a pub. Why not?

• ajayazirajayazir Member Posts: 108
    err... the idea's too simple >.>
    Originally posted by Garmalak

I'm not sure what you mean by that.

It's got my curiousity piqued though, as an MMO. Starting simple but well done and adding in time, if that's your intent, can work in my opinion.

I'd definitely like to hear more of your intentions.

Once upon a time....

No, it's a Single Player game. It's about a 40 year old professor with magic powers who was betrayed by a power crazed collegue that he must stop.
    No, it's a Single Player game. It's about a 40 year old professor with magic powers who was betrayed by a power crazed collegue that he must stop.

40 is "old"? Guess I better go get a walker.

Once upon a time....

• WeretigarWeretigar Member UncommonPosts: 600

Not unless it had puzzles like, Legecy of kain soul reaver, Lufia 2:Rise of the sinestrals, Every Wild Arm, or Every Zelda post Nintendo.

• kzaskekzaske Member UncommonPosts: 518
    While I like fanatasy games, this one (from what little you have told us) sounds like a pass for me.
  • LarsaLarsa Member Posts: 990

... an old professor ... action game ... ranged magic ... sword combat ...

Somehow the combination of old professor and action combat game doesn't sound right to me.

I maintain this List of Sandbox MMORPGs. Please post or send PM for corrections and suggestions.

Yeah, just realized a 60 year old will break his bones trying to do most of the things the Main Character will do.

He's now around 40 and not old.

Oh and also, I'm nearly done making his character model, get back in touch with you later to show you him.

Can you explain what that means? I'm not sure what you're saying there.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

Originally posted by Loktofeit

Since he's talking about a single player game, I guess he meant a "tavern" sort of multiplayer area. Just to socialize. This being the professor's college/home.

More's the pitty, Garmalak. It might make for a pretty interesting MMORPG with a bunch of colleges acting as home ports.

I think I'd like to pursue that idea, since this is about the only decent thread lately that isn't re-hashed arguments over and over.

If you don't mind? Just as an idea excersize, mind you. Heck, I think you could even use this to come up with a pretty good single player game that could be converted easily to an MMORPG.

--------

I'm thinking, if you start "simple" but with a well done game as an MMO, with the idea of growing it over time. Growing "world" and what players have to play with instead of simply adding more quests and such.

The questions are, what are "simple yet well done", to make up a game world that's expandable.

I think there's several ways that this can be done. In fact, I think probably we'll find that every aspect of the game can start in a simple form, and then grown by adding both depth and diversity. This includes the character itself, the economy, the "player housing", etc.

So for starters, this idea is starting with a single "class", or set of skills, as a Mage. Later, as the game evolves, more could be added. But not just added, added through game play in pieces.

So in stage 2 of "class/skills sets" you add "Fighter". If the game starts as I suggested earlier, with "students" that the player can "recruit" as hirelings (acting like pets) through his college. But instead of simply adding "Fighter class", you first add the ability of the player to go out into the world and gather what's needed to build a fighter training class to the college. Lets say the player needs to gather construction knowledge for training dummies, weapons and armor smithing, etc. Then the player must recruit a trainer for warriors in some way. Then he must gather the resources to build this new wing onto the college. Once this is done, the college can open this new course for training, and NPCs automatically start showing up for education. As the newly educated warriors graduate, the player can "recruit" a limited number as college employees. And from these he may be able to recruit one or more as "henchmen" for personal use, to go out into the world with their aid.

That's stage 2. The next stage would be for the game to add the ability for the player(s) to play directly as a Fighter class, starting at the same college. This would have to include adding systems for Fighter skills to evolve into more, special attacks and abilities, etc.

Stage 3 would be to allow existing Fighters to go out into the world and build their own "Centers", to build Military Traning Complexes.

Stage 4 would be to allow players of various "Class Centers" to form cities, complete with governments. These could include player built centers for Trade (Crafters), Religions (Clerics), Miners and Lumberjacks, Ports, etc.

Stage 5 would be to add alliances/Trade to these city states. This could include Caravans and Shipping systems.

The same could be done for economics, other "class" skills, construction, etc.

The key here would be to design the entire, ultimate MMORPG so that you can start basic and have a plan to grow it in many directions. Yet the initial game would have to be entertaining.

I'd strongly suggest getting away from the system of level.gear grinding of the character that's common these days, and into basically grinding for college growth instead. Which of course, the player can gain advantages along the way. So, while you have player advancement, limit it so that players aren't separated from eachother in playing this game world.

Once upon a time....

Originally posted by Loktofeit

Since he's talking about a single player game, I guess he meant a "tavern" sort of multiplayer area. Just to socialize. This being the professor's college/home.

More's the pitty, Garmalak. It might make for a pretty interesting MMORPG with a bunch of colleges acting as home ports.

I think I'd like to pursue that idea, since this is about the only decent thread lately that isn't re-hashed arguments over and over.

If you don't mind? Just as an idea excersize, mind you. Heck, I think you could even use this to come up with a pretty good single player game that could be converted easily to an MMORPG.

--------

I'm thinking, if you start "simple" but with a well done game as an MMO, with the idea of growing it over time. Growing "world" and what players have to play with instead of simply adding more quests and such.

The questions are, what are "simple yet well done", to make up a game world that's expandable.

I think there's several ways that this can be done. In fact, I think probably we'll find that every aspect of the game can start in a simple form, and then grown by adding both depth and diversity. This includes the character itself, the economy, the "player housing", etc.

So for starters, this idea is starting with a single "class", or set of skills, as a Mage. Later, as the game evolves, more could be added. But not just added, added through game play in pieces.

So in stage 2 of "class/skills sets" you add "Fighter". If the game starts as I suggested earlier, with "students" that the player can "recruit" as hirelings (acting like pets) through his college. But instead of simply adding "Fighter class", you first add the ability of the player to go out into the world and gather what's needed to build a fighter training class to the college. Lets say the player needs to gather construction knowledge for training dummies, weapons and armor smithing, etc. Then the player must recruit a trainer for warriors in some way. Then he must gather the resources to build this new wing onto the college. Once this is done, the college can open this new course for training, and NPCs automatically start showing up for education. As the newly educated warriors graduate, the player can "recruit" a limited number as college employees. And from these he may be able to recruit one or more as "henchmen" for personal use, to go out into the world with their aid.

That's stage 2. The next stage would be for the game to add the ability for the player(s) to play directly as a Fighter class, starting at the same college. This would have to include adding systems for Fighter skills to evolve into more, special attacks and abilities, etc.

Stage 3 would be to allow existing Fighters to go out into the world and build their own "Centers", to build Military Traning Complexes.

Stage 4 would be to allow players of various "Class Centers" to form cities, complete with governments. These could include player built centers for Trade (Crafters), Religions (Clerics), Miners and Lumberjacks, Ports, etc.

Stage 5 would be to add alliances/Trade to these city states. This could include Caravans and Shipping systems.

The same could be done for economics, other "class" skills, construction, etc.

The key here would be to design the entire, ultimate MMORPG so that you can start basic and have a plan to grow it in many directions. Yet the initial game would have to be entertaining.

I'd strongly suggest getting away from the system of level.gear grinding of the character that's common these days, and into basically grinding for college growth instead. Which of course, the player can gain advantages along the way. So, while you have player advancement, limit it so that players aren't separated from eachother in playing this game world.

After posting that, I realized he meant the forum name.

Yes, sorry to burst your bubble, but I meant the forum was the "pub" section, not that I wanted a multiplayer pub in my game.
    Okie doke. Then I don't know what this is even doing here. Good luck, regardless.

Once upon a time....

• VarossVaross Moderator UncommonPosts: 11,414

Moved to General gaming.

You're free to discuss ideas and concepts, but the Pub is for discussing MMORPG's.

To give feedback on moderation, please contact [email protected]