Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Moderation on official forum

13»

Comments

• GamerUntouchGamerUntouch Member Posts: 488
    I got a warning for saying "gimped" even though I used it in the correct sense and not insulting.
  • IstavaanIstavaan Member Posts: 1,350
    MMORPG.COM is probably the strictest forum i've ever been on.
  • MsGamerladyMsGamerlady Member UncommonPosts: 192

Originally posted by fiontar

BTW, stop abusing the concept of "free speech". The 1st amendment guarantees your right to say things with out government censorship. It doesn't allow you to exercise unwanted speech on private property and it most certainly does not protect someone who spews disdainful speech of any form from garnering well earned ridicule or ire from other private individuals. I have as much a right to call a "troll" a "troll", or a bigot a bigot as that person has to say things that make him look ignorant in the eyes of others. "Free speech" was never meant to be a shield against the social consequences of saying something stupid, inflammatory, ignorant or hateful!!!

This is something I wish forum posters internet wide would understand. 

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    You think that one's misunderstood; we won't ever talk about the second amendment...heh.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus
    Originally posted by Zylaxx
    Originally posted by Comae13

Is the worst moderation I have ever seen in 10 years of mmo, except for the Aion beta where they were koreans moderators who faked posts to ban people they didnt like. Yeah NCSOFT have the worst community management of all mmo editors.

There is only censorship. If you dont agree with something or didnt like something you are sanctioned. Comon we are adult or wtf ? I think we are in 2012 and there is enough of this.

Second thing, stop use that word, called "troll", really, you destroy the free speech on internet.

2 cents

Dare I say MMORPG.com's is jsut as strict?  I know I've recieved my fair share of warnings and temp bans.  image

They are,

got quite some warnings, and even two bans, for calling people trolls in public... Even tough they where trolling, you´re not allowed to call them trolls on this forum, that might be some wise advise for newer members.

Dont call them trolls, but report their posts, and the moderators will take care of it.

So basically its not the moderators actions, its the memebers that report these posts.

This can be abused tough, i remember peopel with a 1 post account trolling on these forums, and then reporting everyone that called them a troll.

I think its ridiculous when a site warns or bans you for calling someone out on what they are doing if the sites own definition of the term applies. I also have no clue why they warn or ban people for calling people out on their forum history. I mean, why even have a forum history if you can't use it to show inconsistency with someone's argument? Hopefully I wont receive one now as I'm only responding to the content of this thread lol.

There Is Always Hope!

• CrunkJuice2CrunkJuice2 Member Posts: 568
    Originally posted by Istavaan
    MMORPG.COM is probably the strictest forum i've ever been on.

you should take a look at this forum called mmo champion

"Comon we are adult or wtf"

adults? with all the talk ive seen about world of warcraft on guild wars 2 forums.and from playing that game for years,i highly doubt that many adults are going to be playing guild wars 2.or if they are,they really need to learn something called maturity

• niceguy3978niceguy3978 Member UncommonPosts: 2,047

Is the worst moderation I have ever seen in 10 years of mmo, except for the Aion beta where they were koreans moderators who faked posts to ban people they didnt like. Yeah NCSOFT have the worst community management of all mmo editors.

There is only censorship. If you dont agree with something or didnt like something you are sanctioned. Comon we are adult or wtf ? I think we are in 2012 and there is enough of this.

Second thing, stop use that word, called "troll", really, you destroy the free speech on internet.

2 cents

The only thing freedom of speech covers is the ability of the government to sanction you for your speech.  It doesn't have anything to do with you saying whatever you want without someone calling you names.  

• SeariasSearias Member UncommonPosts: 743

Thats wrong I dont talk about only the stress test. You seek a way to proove im not right and seriously its a bit curious.

There is pure censor. They delete and punish "wrong" posts, they keep what they want, period.

And where may I ask is your proof? All you are doing is making accusations and without proof we cannot validate your claim.

<InvalidTag type="text/javascript" src="http://www.gamebreaker.tv/cce/e.js"></script><div class="cce_pane" content-slug="which-world-of-warcraft-villain-are-you" ctype="quiz" d="http://www.gamebreaker.tv"></div>;

• niceguy3978niceguy3978 Member UncommonPosts: 2,047
    Originally posted by dekou
    I've seen and posted plenty of criticism on the official forums. As long as it's not offensive, it's not moderated.

Pretty much this.  I have never been moderated in any way for criticizing a game, any game, ever.  Of course I don't say anything that I wouldn't say in front of my children either.  I don't even talk to my dog the way some people on these forums talk about other posters/developers, etc.

• HorrorScopeHorrorScope Member UncommonPosts: 599
    Originally posted by niceguy3978
    I've seen and posted plenty of criticism on the official forums. As long as it's not offensive, it's not moderated.

Pretty much this.  I have never been moderated in any way for criticizing a game, any game, ever.

There have been companies that have definietely stepped over that bounds though, if you have noticed or not. GW's team is a bit tight imo.

• MosesZDMosesZD Member UncommonPosts: 1,361

2 cents

So, your solution to free speech is to limit the Free Speech of others.  

Slow Golf Clap for the poor attempt.

• stragen001stragen001 Member UncommonPosts: 1,720

Watch out for that Arena Net Patented Ban Hammer!!

Cluck Cluck, Gibber Gibber, My Old Mans A Mushroom

• warmaster670warmaster670 Member Posts: 1,384

There is community management, moderation, and censorship.

Its not the same. Seriously I see an internet that is not free to speech anymore. Its because community managers and players too.

One don't even care of free speech cause there is money and the site is the window of the game, and others dont stop shouting "troll ban ban".

I dont like that, thats all. Im french and in france there is just NOT a single free forum of video game anymore. Mmo ? Yeah mmo customers are adults no ? But its WORST.

It is sad imho.

No such thing as free speech on private property, which is what every single mmo forum is, a private forum, you sign up and agree to play by their rules, if you dont like it, dont post.

Apparently stating the truth in my sig is "trolling"
    Sig typo fixed thanks to an observant stragen001.

Thats wrong I dont talk about only the stress test. You seek a way to proove im not right and seriously its a bit curious.

There is pure censor. They delete and punish "wrong" posts, they keep what they want, period.

If your hypothesis cannot be falsified, than your hypothesis cannot be verified and is null and any conclusions drawn cannot be said to be either true or false which gives YOU no leg to stand on either.

Originally posted by fiontar

2 cents

I wish I knew what you were actually talking about. I've never seen constructive criticism that wasn't blatant trolling censored on the official forums during any of the BWEs. During the stress tests, they have limited feedback mostly to bug reports and have locked threads that where just suggestions or complaints, because the stress test isn't about gathering suggestions/complaints or general feedback.

They want to know about bugs, but other than that, they will not be processing posts generated during the stress tests, so there is no point for them on the official forum during a Stress Test.

I would actually appreciate a suggestion sub-forum during the stress tests, but I undestand why they probably wouild serve little purpose right now. Not only is the state of the game in the stress tests atypical of the actual game, but they are a little over two weeks from release and new suggestions are pointless as they crunch to get the game ready for release.

If you went trolling and were shut down, sorry, but the GW2 community team isn't going to roll over and put up with that crap. If you went to express some opinions and views in a constructive manner, I can understand your frustration but you need to understand why they just don't need your opinions right now.

BTW, stop abusing the concept of "free speech". The 1st amendment guarantees your right to say things with out government censorship. It doesn't allow you to exercise unwanted speech on private property and it most certainly does not protect someone who spews disdainful speech of any form from garnering well earned ridicule or ire from other private individuals. I have as much a right to call a "troll" a "troll", or a bigot a bigot as that person has to say things that make him look ignorant in the eyes of others.

"Free speech" was never meant to be a shield against the social consequences of saying something stupid, inflammatory, ignorant or hateful!!!

Because this absolutely saliant and correct point bears repeating. 

• itsbigmikeitsbigmike Member Posts: 86

2 cents

I don't think you know what sanctioned means

twitch.tv/boonmackle

• xalvixalvi Member Posts: 329

Im actually inclined to agree with the OP on this one.

I remember giving a well thought out class suggestion for the necromancer, it ended up by the mods to be "baiting, trolling"...the funny thing is that people actually responded with sense with no efights. Other than that, the offical devs (not the mods) were pretty cool and always answered threads that were reasonable.

The mods are and always will be the problem in the forums, which is why i gave up on it.

Originally posted by niceguy3978

Pretty much this.  I have never been moderated in any way for criticizing a game, any game, ever.  Of course I don't say anything that I wouldn't say in front of my children either.  I don't even talk to my dog the way some people on these forums talk about other posters/developers, etc.

BioWare.   I saw it crop up around 2005.   Posters getting banned for criticizing design decisions, like the artificially constrained and immersion breaking movement scheme.   And I'm not talking about a bunch of flamers.   I'm talking out-right bans because they didn't want to hear any sort of criticism, regardless of how soft the sell was.

There was one guy...  Vinsc or Vincent or something like that.   Wrote some solid posts and the devs would 'warn him' in the thread.  So then the fanboys would rank on him.   Then, if he responded, boom!   There he went...    Finally one day they banned him -- END OF THE LINE! -- and the fanboys mocked the crap out of the banning.

I never went back.  It's only gotten worse over the years.   Even if I buy a BioWare game I won't go to their sites.      It's a toxic crap-hole over there and I'm not interested.

A real shame too.  Back in the days of BG and BG2, they were great.   I can't tell what an incredibly good-at-customer-service and general communication group they were as I would run out of positive adjectives.   But like so many nerds who suddenly become popular kids...   Fame went to their heads...  

Anyway, I wool gather... 

• RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157

I agree with some of what I hear on his channel, I hope NCsoft goes under I will dance on their grave like we do in Darkfall...

NCsoft needs new management...

I still remember my 2005 Lineage 2 account got compromised by a gold farmer, and NCsoft did nothing to recover anything Nothing, it was their fault too in my eyes why? Because it didn't happen until the game went F2P, and they had no security or protection NCSoft is at fault for so much.

• WeretigarWeretigar Member UncommonPosts: 600

HE does know GW2guru stuff isn't the officail forums right? Cause I saw some pretty crazy stuff on the official forums. Especially when the largest suggestion tread was on mounts. The mount topic had a lot of wierd to very wierd comments. As long as poeple wern't Flamming,Baiting,or trolling, or making repetative posts, None of them were being deleted. 

I really don't understand unless he thinks gw2guru is the officail one. Because that site is like the pro-dumb gw2 discrace that makes all gw2 fans look like incompetant morons and im not the only one that thinks so.

• stragen001stragen001 Member UncommonPosts: 1,720

One thing I do like about the Official GW2 forums is their "bad word" filter that replaces any bad words with "kitten" (I think) Makes for some interesting posts....

I cant find any examples at the moment, but Im sure someone will correct me if I am wrong...

Edit: Here is a thread talking about it on GW2guru.com...

Cluck Cluck, Gibber Gibber, My Old Mans A Mushroom

2 cents

from what ive seen of the guild wars 2 community so far,i think adults are pretty lacking in the community.or at least ones that are mature enough to be considered a adult