Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Blizzard hacked! Can we still trust them with our credit card and personal info

2»

Comments

• xenogiasxenogias Member Posts: 1,926
    Originally posted by maplestone
    Originally posted by Leethe

Blizzard hacked! Can we still trust them with our credit card and personal info?

Lol, what choice do you have? Where else will you go?

You should obviously switch to one of the companies that is unaware it was hacked or unwilling to publically admit it when it happens.

This 100%. My bank has admitted to being hacked several times. They warn us every time its something as small of an unautherised access to the one time debit card info was comprimised.

I will trust me money with a company who admits it long before I trust a company that its been proven to have security leaks and the company denied denied denied (Lookin at you Trion) untill the proof was shown. I look at it this way. If you are willing to admit you had a leak in your system I think I can trust you alittle more to fix that mistake and make anything that happens because of it right with the customer.

I'm not saying all hackers are the problem. Some of them simply try to hack security systems for the challenge. Its the idiots who do it with intent to steal or hurt people that are the problem.

• guldurkhandguldurkhand Member Posts: 23

Fixing security is like fixing bugs, you never know if you covered them all.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

As they didnt have the bank details compromised, and its doubtful if they were/are able to decrypt the passwords, then as long as players have changed their passwords then all should be okay, those with authenticators, have nothing to worry about anyway.. though changing passwords is probably a good idea in any case. I have no problem trusting Blizzard with my PI. image

Anyone who has a problem with the level of security that Blizzard has used to protect their customers PI probably needs to disconnect from the Net, as it doesnt really get much better than that image

• DariusGearDariusGear Member Posts: 94
    Yes the downfall of secuirty is that data has to be decrypted  or resolved so it can be view by the user, if data never had to been seen or managaged in some way you could technically have a completly secure enviornment, but it would also be a usless enviroment lol.  It might not have even been a full on hack, could have been some social enigneering handywork; drop as USB drive in the parking lot that is loaded with a program that will allow you a remote connection to the network it is pluged into, and hope some unsuspecting employee plugs it in the computer, even though company IT policy says not to do that.

We go trough life with many yet there is a time we must walk our path alone.

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,882
    Originally posted by Illyssia
    If Blizzard unveil a plan for improved Battle net security then all well and good. But if not their players are sitting ducks for hackers in the future, so players should complain and get Blizzard to put some of their profits back into the right places in their online gaming.

I'm planning to take all my money off from banks that don't unveil their plans to improve their vault's security. The information provided by bank must include at least: layout of the vault, location and type of all security devises and alarms, schedules for guards and their personal information, and information about systems that will keep power supplied to security systems in case of power outage.

If the bank can't publicly reveal all this information, then I can't trust that they are taking adequate steps to protect my money.

• obiiobii Member UncommonPosts: 804

If you are that concerned I would advise to disconnect from the internet.

:)

If even the military, Nasa and other agencies get hacked you expect a gaming site to be more secure...

And did not some people lose thousands of personal infos (one case UK and a few cases in the US) when they lost laptops with infos on it :P

• IllyssiaIllyssia Member UncommonPosts: 1,507
    I think if Blizzzards customer database is hacked then it is right to ask questions. Remember folks potentially anything in the Blizzard Battle Net databases is at risk unless they improve the system. At the moment they are just telling gamers to change their passwords. However, the big But in that is Blizzard themselves are likely still very vulnerable to hackers as I write this.
  • CastillleCastillle Member UncommonPosts: 2,679

If youre that paranoid, use a prepaid reloadable debit card o.O  Heck I used to use that!

Load with money only when you buy stuff o.O 

''/\/\'' Posted using Iphone bunni
    ( o.o)
    (")(")
    **This bunny was cloned from bunnies belonging to Gobla and is part of the Quizzical Fanclub and the The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club**

• PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784

I agree, people that paranoid should unplug themselves from the internet and discontinue using companies that use the internet also...which is all of them...even sheep herders...

• ChiramChiram Member UncommonPosts: 643

I've only been "hacked" one time in terms of an MMO. That was clear back in the glory days of EverQuest. There are safeguards you can take to protect your personal information. For example my bank if anything happens outside of the U.S. I get a phone call or confirmation email before the transcation can be completed, I have 3 days to reply. Most bank have a transcation dispute policy so just get a confirmation email/text/call or just keep tabs on your account.

The only true thing to worry about is identity theft but there are safeguards for that also. I pay 10$ a year and if anyone uses my information anywhere I get notified.

• IllyssiaIllyssia Member UncommonPosts: 1,507
    Well the problem is Blizzard went in a social network direction with battle net 2, and yes it is a real problem if hackers are able to walk into their databasess and take what info they like. Simply put identity theft and internet crime is built upon the foundations of stealing personal information. Problem is from posts in this thread it seems that joe and jane warcraft are very complacent about internet security, Blizzard need to protect them from themselves, as cyber crime is a very real problem now in 2012.