Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Have you raided? Are you a "raider"?

2»

Comments

• ZzadZzad Member UncommonPosts: 1,401
    Originally posted by just1opinion

Surprisingly you left out one option.

I have cleared multiple heroic raids and have become BURNT OUT on raiding and no longer intend to raid, not due to lack of TIME, but lack of DESIRE.

I would TOTALLY vote for this one.

So i decided not to vote on the OP poll....so can i see just the results?

Oh no! that option is not there neither?

• RockhideRockhide Member Posts: 155

I like to raid.  I like the feeling of achieving something with a group of other people where you must put trust in them to perform their roles.  To me it bears similarities to football -- which I played for many years -- in that respect. 

I do think, however, that at some point a raid gets too big.  If I start feeling like my role is inconsequential to the raid's success, it becomes significantly less fun for me.

What I don't like is the culture of commitment and expectation that comes with raiding. I don't like being made to feel like I have to log in, run two daily dungeons, a dozen daily quests, and farm stacks of consumable materials every single night just to "keep up" so that my group can continue to progress.

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

I've done a few raids (count them on one hand). I just do not enjoy the experience. There is too much going on for my old 8086 processor brain to handle :)

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• RydesonRydeson Member UncommonPosts: 3,852
    I too have lost the desire to raid.. especially in this esport genre we have today..  Raiding has turned into a clique type of grouping..  It's not very social and I have no patience, time or desire to play the KISS UP game of being on a "raid team"..  EQ1 I made time for because there wasnt' any drama involved on who goes and who doesn't in raiding..
  • Hopscotch73Hopscotch73 Member UncommonPosts: 971

Cleared multiple heroic raids across multiple MMOs.

HOWEVER!

I always reach a point where I feel resentful at having to block off chunks of time for raids, and where the drama and epeening nonsense that some raiders thrive on creeps under my skin and irritates me. 

I'm the one that'll happily pull people along for gearing runs to expand the raiding pool, I like to see the content, beat the content and feel like I'm experiencing all that a game has to offer. But then the text messages/IMs asking me to log on when I've said I'm not available ("pls - blahdiblah dropped out and we NEED you" etc.) and general skullduggery that permeates every raiding guild gets to be too much hassle and I drop out. 

My current guild is much more easygoing, we all know one another IRL and there's less drama as a result. I''ve had more fun raiding over the past few months than I've had in years.

That said...I still don't consider myself a "Raider" ...oddly enough. 

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by Hopscotch73

I always reach a point where I feel resentful at having to block off chunks of time for raids, and where the drama and epeening nonsense that some raiders thrive on creeps under my skin and irritates me. 

This is the problem. A lot of raids are like work. You have to have commitment. You have to show up every time. You have to fill in an application. This is totally anti-thesis to a GAME for relaxing and have some fun whenever i want.

Thus, LFR in WOW is a god send. No commitment. No huge chunks of time. No more work like schedule. Do a few when i like it. Skip when i am busy. No more drama. No more loot arguing.

• Trudge34Trudge34 Member UncommonPosts: 392

Hey, long time reader here finally signed up...

Anyways, I was a pretty hardcore raider on EQ when I played and I have to say it's been probably the most satisfying and intense gameplay that I've been a part of. I don't think there's been much more thrilling than getting that message that Statue of Rallos Zek was up and start assembling NOW to go grab him. Race to get Vindi down because there was going to be 3 other guilds barreling down at him..assembling the raid on the fly and pulling without a hitch because everyone knew what their role was and what was needed to be done. Not only that, but getting the message during our first AoW kill that he was slashing when I was first in line for a BoC...and then having our main tank go down at about 10% having to take over for him with no real good aggro weapon and on the verge of enraging.

Many encounters like that are very fond. Not sure if I would have the time to commit anymore for the old EQ style grinding after testing out one of the emu servers that was built to be like original...but if the right game came around I'd be hard pressed to stay away.

Played: EQ1 (10 Years), Guild Wars, Rift, TERA
    Tried: EQ2, Vanguard, Lord of the Rings Online, Dungeons and Dragons Online, Runes of Magic and countless others...
    Currently Playing: GW2

Nytlok Sylas
    80 Sylvari Ranger

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
         Raiding is only fun for a short period of time...I never could understand how some people would do the same raid over and over and over and not go insane or rage quit......I liked raiding when it was a mystery, unscripted....Once it became a boring routine with gear as the main incentive I lost interest pretty quick.
  • NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

no option for

raided 4 years 6 days a week --- and now BURNT OUT on raids

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by Nadia

no option for

raided 4 years 6 days a week --- and now BURNT OUT on raids

wow ... that was commiment more than a job.

I was raiding once (or twice) a week for a few months, and found it to be too much work.

• centkincentkin Member RarePosts: 1,527

The raids of today have nothing on the raids of old.  You had times where you had to keep a raid going for like 6 hours of 72 people to pass the thing and if you botched you lost.  Really though some of the old Everquest I raids were kind of brutal, but getting used to 72 person raids means that the current 20 person raids seem and feel more like group content. 

I am a lot less of a raider though in the current games for more reasons than that.  Raids have become a lot more cheesily technical.  Cheesily technical means boss does instakill move -- everyone has to take a synchronized step left -- NOW when the person says so on ventrillo.  It isnt so much playing your class well, but doing the press X not to die at the right time.  Time was it mainly just took everyone playing their class well as opposed to the current method which revolves around voice chat.

Old raids had better tactics in my opinion... 

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574
    Personally I hate raiding even though I spent a solid 2 expansions in WoW doing the progression raid thing.  I think it is an archaic form of grinding that forces you to repeat content over and over to get gear to do another harder raid.  I dislike stat or item progression greatly and would much prefer all MMO's go to a skill/ability progression based on time and nothing else.  Excluding the community at large and focusing all development time on something that on average less then 10% of the population partakes in is asanine and counter-intuitive to lasting appeal.  Hence why there is only really one popular raiding game on the market. (WoW).

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• azmundaiazmundai Member UncommonPosts: 1,419

Originally posted by Theocritus
         Raiding is only fun for a short period of time...I never could understand how some people would do the same raid over and over and over and not go insane or rage quit......I liked raiding when it was a mystery, unscripted....Once it became a boring routine with gear as the main incentive I lost interest pretty quick.

we had good guilds full of fun people that pulled their proverbial weight. I used to think they were basement dwelling mouth breathers like everyone else does until they invited me over for one of the best thanksgiving dinners i'd ever had .. and to my surprise they didn't even have a basement. it can be amazing what happens when you take the chance to actually get to know someone.

LFD tools are great for cramming people into content, but quality > quantity.
    I am, usually on the sandbox .. more "hardcore" side of things, but I also do just want to have fun. So lighten up already :)

• jusomdudejusomdude Member RarePosts: 2,706
    I like casual raiding... like not having to make commited times and things for it. LFR in WoW is a nice feature, even though it has a lot of trolls.