Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WvWvW question.

JimmydeanJimmydean Member UncommonPosts: 1,290

Can you see people's actual names yet? In the last BWE I got attacked by a group of "Defenders". I wasn't sure whether they were players or NPCs.  Kind of a trend, such as participating in Dynamic Events. 

This really bothered me about WvWvW.   If Billytheimpaler  kills me 3 times, you know I want revenge.  If he looks like just another NPC, how am I supposed to know what's even going on? I put in a report about this during the last BWE, but I was just wondering if there has been talk of them doing anything about this situation.

Comments

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    No. And they have been very adamant about saying it will never be in.
  • JimmydeanJimmydean Member UncommonPosts: 1,290
    Originally posted by colddog04

Did they say why by chance? Part of the fun of PVP for me was knowing I wasn't attacking NPCs because people had names and were slightly worse at the game. 

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    very few people look the exact same especially with the dye system so you can track down people by their look but not really what you were looking for... more realistic though I suppose

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

Originally posted by Jimmydean

Did they say why by chance? Part of the fun of PVP for me was knowing I wasn't attacking NPCs because people had names and were slightly worse at the game. 

Here is something official:

http://www.guildwars2guru.com/topic/38815-full-transcript-of-arenanet-ama-on-reddit/

Will we eventually be able to see the names and guilds of enemy players in WvW?
    You will never be able to see enemy names, you can however see enemy guild tags. –Ferg

And here is the main official thing:

http://www.futilez.com/showthread.php?t=7684

Originally Posted by Mike Ferguson.9452

Quoting myself from a reddit AMA a few months back..

There’s been a lot of discussion about seeing enemy names in WvW. While I certainly understand the reasoning behind the request to see enemy names, we are fairly firm about not showing names of the opposing teams. I think of it this way, in a war people dont introduce themselves before trying to kill each other. When you are fighting in the mists for your world, you are in the middle of a giant war against two opposing forces who want nothing more than to take everything you own and kill you as many times as they possibly can. That guy who just shot you is not Bob the Engineer, he’s the enemy.

Not showing enemy names in WvW also helps players that are less pvp-oriented feel less threatened about venturing into the battle because seeing enemies as anonymous ‘invaders’ creates a sense that opponents won’t be able to recognize them and pick on them because of their lack of skill in a fight, so they in turn feel more embolded to go out and fight in the first place. Not showing names also makes it so people can feel as if they can ‘hide’ in a fight if need be, but still be around to help out. That’s a pretty critical part of making WvW feel more inviting for people that would normally never think about playing PvP in any other game.

We’ve heard “I usually dont PvP, but I love WvW” again and again from people in our beta, so even though showing names might make for a more competitive pvp environment, we’d much rather create a game that is more welcoming for people that don’t normally play the more hardcore PvP games. If you want to see enemy names and get to know the community of people you are fighting against, competitive PvP is the place to get that sort of thing in Guild Wars 2. WvW is the place where you fight with your friends and show your might against a faceless never-ending horde of enemies. It’s not about taking names, it’s about taking back that tower and claiming it for your guild so it can wave your flag right in the enemies face!

• Preacher26Preacher26 Member UncommonPosts: 381
    there goes my shot at pvp fame
    Originally posted by Preacher26

always got sPVP for that

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

Originally posted by Aerowyn

always got sPVP for that

And really, your fame can come through your own side. Actually, since you are around those people far, far more, I would think if your goal is to get famous through PvP excellence, it would be your own side that you would want to notice you.

But I might as well mention that I would also like to see enemy names. I think it makes it more fun. But I can accept their decision.

• Preacher26Preacher26 Member UncommonPosts: 381

always got sPVP for that

yeah thats true.

and although I was j/k with my post I have enjoyed building grudges/rivalries with other players in the pvp scene.

With WvW balacing every 2weeks its not like we will be seeing the same folks anyway.

Im not sure how I feel about it, has both its pros and its cons.

always got sPVP for that

yeah thats true.

and although I was j/k with my post I have enjoyed building grudges/rivalries with other players in the pvp scene.

With WvW balacing every 2weeks its not like we will be seeing the same folks anyway.

Im not sure how I feel about it, has both its pros and its cons.

yea I know:P and I agree i'm iffy about it

Yea I always liked seeing that one guy in battlegrounds that was cleaning house, and going after him hard.   I guess it is more realistic as they said, but so is taking a sword and cutting down your neighbor, but theres a reason we play video games.
  • aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

always got sPVP for that

And really, your fame can come through your own side. Actually, since you are around those people far, far more, I would think if your goal is to get famous through PvP excellence, it would be your own side that you would want to notice you.

But I might as well mention that I would also like to see enemy names. I think it makes it more fun. But I can accept their decision.

You know, I wasn't quite sure about it at first, but it doesn't really bother me anymore.

It kind makes it feel a bit more real, as the focus is always on the larger picture, rather than tracking down a specific name tag. There are still ways to tell if the same person is attacking you, though, so if the same dude in big white spikey armor keeps killing you, you'll still be able to spot him even if you don't know his name.

It also adds more emphasis on guilds, and guild prestige, which I think is great for lager-scale combat.

• paulythebpaulytheb Member UncommonPosts: 363

To the OP.

GW2 allows for a lot of custom looks to the characters. By the time everyone is max level and the WvW really kicks in to high gear the guy that killed you should be pretty easily recognizable. Remember we have been playing a beta and haven't seen but a bit of what the game offers for gear.

If you go in GW1 almost no one looks exactly the same after the starter levels.

You will be able to see guild tags as well so even if a couple of guys have a very similar look the guild tag will show you which is your enemy.

So unless the guy leaves the area you should be able to spot him out.

( Note to self-Don't say anything bad about Drizzt.)

An acerbic sense of humor is NOT allowed here.

Originally posted by paulytheb

To the OP.

GW2 allows for a lot of custom looks to the characters. By the time everyone is max level and the WvW really kicks in to high gear the guy that killed you should be pretty easily recognizable. Remember we have been playing a beta and haven't seen but a bit of what the game offers for gear.

If you go in GW1 almost no one looks exactly the same after the starter levels.

You will be able to see guild tags as well so even if a couple of guys have a very similar look the guild tag will show you which is your enemy.

So unless the guy leaves the area you should be able to spot him out.

Yea kind of like how transmogrification made it so everyone wasn't wearing their tier gear. Because everyone won't have black armor with the most ridiculous shoulder pads they can find.