Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Wars: The Old Republic simply needs a quality enema

2»

Comments

• rdrakkenrdrakken Member Posts: 426
    Originally posted by Karteli

Any thoughts on SWTOR having a shutdown / revamp?

Shutdown? every game will eventually.

Revamp? Only if EA gets the enema and it runs down through Bioware(I know I know...EWW!). The captain is asleep at the wheel of the ship and the crew is running amok.

• observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685
    It would be better to keep it F2P, and if it needs it, a shutdown, but a total revamp is out of the question.  They would be better off selling the rights to another company.
  • ignore_meignore_me Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,987
    I keep wondering though if they will at some point see this game as a unique fixer-upper opportunity already in their inventory. The rational part of me says "naw it's just going to languish in F2P purgatory," but it seems like they could rehab the thing in the future at some point. Maybe after it's considered all but worthless.  

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011

• jeremyjodesjeremyjodes Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 679
    Let SOE perform this "enema" worst could happen they make it like the NGE! Oh snap, yeah I went there.

• HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,411
    Frankly it does not need a revamp...it needs to have a massive content upgrade.  Multiple paths of leveling, more endgame choices, and more pvp options.  It is only on this site that thinks the themepark is done.  It is not it just needs so much content that you keep coming back for more.  The few that complain that want a sandbox will just keep complaining here on the boards that their choice of game is too difficult to make in a mass marketable way.
    Originally posted by Horusra
    Frankly it does not need a revamp...it needs to have a massive content upgrade.  Multiple paths of leveling, more endgame choices, and more pvp options.  It is only on this site that thinks the themepark is done.  It is not it just needs so much content that you keep coming back for more.  The few that complain that want a sandbox will just keep complaining here on the boards that their choice of game is too difficult to make in a mass marketable way.

You should look at some other sites, to include the official forums for SWTOR, and see what people have offered concerning how they think the game needs to be changed. Even your additions amount to a revamp considering the rate of content addition to date. SWTOR is a linear game with no horizontal progression, its human nature for the players to be bored. Better hope they don't start making a lot of non-themepark games or you will be in the minority and won't have that plurality of banality to justify your comments.

Originally posted by ignore_me
    Originally posted by Horusra

You should look at some other sites, to include the official forums for SWTOR, and see what people have offered concerning how they think the game needs to be changed. Even your additions amount to a revamp considering the rate of content addition to date. SWTOR is a linear game with no horizontal progression, its human nature for the players to be bored. Better hope they don't start making a lot of non-themepark games or you will be in the minority and won't have that plurality of banality to justify your comments.

working well for WoW

Problem with non-themepark games is that sandbox is very broad...as soon as ganking is found in there, which is part of free will, the amount of people in the game will be small.  That is the foil of sandbox games.  Where is the line.  Where is the protection vs free will.  Themeparks rule so long as content comes regular and keeps people moving "forward".  People here mock the gear threadmill, but many like it so long as the threadmill is visually updated regularly.  As with WoW, when they put out a content heavy update those areas where the update is has a surge of people.  Cat did more on the low end than high end so the number of new people expanded.  Panda will do both and open new doors for high level raid expansions. 

Eve the shining example of sandbox is stagnated according to their own tracker and how many of those subs are duplicates of players.  Most people I know that played hardcore had 2 if not 3 accounts that they regularly used.  PvP in controlled environ beats open world PvP because most people do not want it.  So I have no fear of a true sandbox becoming dominate.

• rdrpappyrdrpappy Member Posts: 325

The game launched and played fine, the big subscription killing issue was the fact that the game has an END.

Once you get through the really good voice acting, stories and questing on the planets you were left with dailies, pvp mini-games and raids.

Really people parse this up way to much, if a game ends so will the subscriptions, a sprinkle of this and a dab of that wont change that. That brings as much joy to the forum dingleberries here as did the failure of all the other mmorpgs, I like having choices myself, but I'm actually a fan of mmorpg games, unlike most of the people around here.

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,898
    An enema implies cleaning out the crap.  SWTOR needs a lot of things added.
    Originally posted by rdrpappy

The game launched and played fine, the big subscription killing issue was the fact that the game has an END.

Once you get through the really good voice acting, stories and questing on the planets you were left with dailies, pvp mini-games and raids.

Really people parse this up way to much, if a game ends so will the subscriptions, a sprinkle of this and a dab of that wont change that. That brings as much joy to the forum dingleberries here as did the failure of all the other mmorpgs, I like having choices myself, but I'm actually a fan of mmorpg games, unlike most of the people around here.

Wait, so if you are critical of games then you are a dingleberry? Would be nice to be 100% satisfied by the games released, wish I had your sense of entertainment.

• FdzzaiglFdzzaigl Member UncommonPosts: 2,433

It is not realistic to take a game that still has a ton of people playing it down months after release.

FFXIV was a totally different matter, the level of suck simply went into the "unplayable" regions for that game.

Feel free to use my referral link for SW:TOR if you want to test out the game. You'll get some special unlocks!

• RaysheRayshe Member UncommonPosts: 1,279

Honestly the game didnt do many things that bad. Think about it, it wasn't actually revolutionary or anything however everything generally landed par for the course... except questing.

to make SWTOR good in my opinion you just need to drop the railroad feel and the game will gain subs back.

Because i can.
    I'm Hopeful For Every Game, Until the Fan Boys Attack My Games. Then the Knives Come Out.
    Logic every gamers worst enemy.

• WinterizerWinterizer Member Posts: 65
    I have played since launch and the game does not need a shutdown and a remake.
  • KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646
    Originally posted by Rayshe

Honestly the game didnt do many things that bad. Think about it, it wasn't actually revolutionary or anything however everything generally landed par for the course... except questing.

to make SWTOR good in my opinion you just need to drop the railroad feel and the game will gain subs back.

It didn't do everything bad, and that is the frustration aspect.

It did voice overs well, along with the dialog wheel, story tidbits while logging in, quest help notes .. stuff like that.

But when you compare the things that it did do noticably bad (to other games), like exploration, believable world, interaction, NPC involvement, roleplay environment, character interaction with environment, environment details, day cycles, a decent AH, etc ...............

Compound that with graphics lag (10 fps on a computer that gives 60 fps with GW2), interface bugs, interface limitations (you know you can only have 2 windows open at a time in SWTOR)  .. SWTOR is hardcoded for 2 windows only.  All windows are un-movable.

All this and SWTOR is an inferior game.  IT MUST BE REVAMPED.  If it is not, it will just die out.  Hell I have the CE for this game and I want it to succeed.  But I want it to be good before I touch it again.

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919

Didn't do anything wrong? Not so. It was marketed, sold and budgeted as a mmo with an expectation that there would be lots of money coming in every month.

If it had aimed to be KoTR3 (or a Skyrim or Assassin's Creed)  I believe it would have sold many more copies.

It wouldn't have been the same game but instead of failure the talk now might be about the forthcoming (DLC) expansion.

Originally posted by gervaise1

Didn't do anything wrong? Not so. It was marketed, sold and budgeted as a mmo with an expectation that there would be lots of money coming in every month.

If it had aimed to be KoTR3 (or a Skyrim or Assassin's Creed)  I believe it would have sold many more copies.

It wouldn't have been the same game but instead of failure the talk now might be about the forthcoming (DLC) expansion.

It might have scored big with KoTR fans, but beyond that, it's questionable.

EA chose to go big time with MMO's and  .. and they didn't do so well.

• RavingRabbidRavingRabbid Member UncommonPosts: 1,168

@Op good post, but what you said could be applied to many games out there unfortunately.

Let me ask you a question? Are you frustrated more with MMO's today and SWTOR is just a symptom of a greater problem or just at SWTOR itself? 

I admit the game isnt perfect by any stretch, but many of us are still having fun.

***Wtg for Kate Beckinsale's next movie!***

All my opinions are just that..opinions. If you like my opinions..coolness.If you dont like my opinion....I really dont care.
    Playing: ESO, WOT, Smite, and Marvel Heroes

Originally posted by RavingRabbid

@Op good post, but what you said could be applied to many games out there unfortunately.

Let me ask you a question? Are you frustrated more with MMO's today and SWTOR is just a symptom of a greater problem or just at SWTOR itself? 

I admit the game isnt perfect by any stretch, but many of us are still having fun.

***Wtg for Kate Beckinsale's next movie!***

I'm enjoying other MMO's, so your question yields a NO (I'm not frustrated with MMO's).