Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Have you raided? Are you a "raider"?

I have been seeing a significant amount of discussion around end game content and exactly what constitutes end game.

It seems that a portion of the player base believes that raiding constitutes end game, and therefore they question whether or not a game actually has end game unless it contains raids.

A couple of salient points from wikipedia on raiding:

1. A raid is a type of mission in a video game in which a very large number of people (larger than the normal team size set by the game) attempt to defeat a boss monster
  2. Usually a boss is strong enough that it cannot be defeated by a team smaller than the designed raid size parameters for that boss. For example, a normal team size might not exceed eight people, but a raid for a particular boss may require 40 or more people. A normal team size wouldn't be able to survive the amount of damage that the boss can do.
  3. Item drops from raids are often very rewarding, and may include unique items or items that grant exceptional stats and abilities, thus giving players an incentive to participate. Other rewards may include large amounts of experience and in-game currency. The high rewards often come at the cost of high risk to the players. The large number of people in a particular raid group increases the likelihood of individual errors (including executing an action at the wrong time, or failing to execute an action when required) that could be detrimental to the raid as a whole, possibly contributing to the total failure of the raid.
However, I have some questions regarding the number of people who actually raid and/or would consider themselves to be raiders. I have seen statistics from WoW which indicate that only 1.5% of the player population completed Firelands on normal mode. And when LFR (looking for raid) was introduced, there was signifcant discussion about whether or not the time and effort that went into constructing raids was justified in the small number of players that actually participated in them.

So these questions are designed to explore the raiding experience of this particular community. Ideally, this would have been a poll with multiple sections, but that format isn't possible.

*** If these choices do not fit OR if you would choose multiple responses, please elaborate in the comment's section. For example, you may have cleared a raid on heroic difficulty but no longer have the time or the desire to do it. The tools for polling are somewhat limited.

"Loading screens" are not "instances".
Your personal efforts to troll any game will not, in fact, impact the success or failure of said game.

Comments

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,311
    The only raid I ever participated in was for a quest in vanilla WoW where you had to go kill the guy in EPL(?). Ya, my pet Leeroy'd him and almost wiped the group.

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641

Surprisingly you left out one option.

I have cleared multiple heroic raids and have become BURNT OUT on raiding and no longer intend to raid, not due to lack of TIME, but lack of DESIRE.

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

• DerpybirdDerpybird Member Posts: 991
    Originally posted by just1opinion

I have cleared multiple heroic raids and have become BURNT OUT on raiding and no longer intend to raid, not due to lack of TIME, but lack of DESIRE.

Ran out of room...

Your personal efforts to troll any game will not, in fact, impact the success or failure of said game.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

I have done heroic raids back in WOTLK.

Too much work, too much commitment though. Now i only would do raid if there is a LFR feature.

• just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641
    Originally posted by Derpybird

Ran out of room...

I hear ya.  It's a good list of responses nonetheless.  I responded with the one that was closest to this anyway. :)

I play MMOs and I have cleared an entire raid on "heroic difficulty."

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

• maplestonemaplestone Member UncommonPosts: 3,099

I tried to attempt a raid, but it said I had to be in a raid group to enter the instance.

I don't do groups :)

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

Yah know, having to choose only one when the options are not mutually exclusive sucks balls.

Sorry Derp, know it's the software's limitation.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

Originally posted by maplestone

I tried to attempt a raid, but it said I had to be in a raid group to enter the instance.

I don't do groups :)

Are all unicorns anti-social? Or just you?

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• CromicaCromica Member UncommonPosts: 657
    Cleared many raids, normal and herioc in the last 7-8 years. But will never do it again as it is no longer something that is enjoyable.
    Originally posted by Icewhite

Yah know, having to choose only one when the options are not mutually exclusive sucks balls.

As indicated, if I had the tools, I would have (hopefully) presented a better survey, but I tried to make this one as comprehensive as possible.

• JaedorJaedor Member UncommonPosts: 1,173
    Originally posted by Derpybird

Ran out of room...

I hear ya.  It's a good list of responses nonetheless.  I responded with the one that was closest to this anyway. :)

I play MMOs and I have cleared an entire raid on "heroic difficulty."

Same

• maplestonemaplestone Member UncommonPosts: 3,099
    Originally posted by WhiteLantern

Now you understand why I picked the picture.

• BjelarBjelar Member UncommonPosts: 398

What about the option: "Yes I've cleared counless raids in multiple games, but never had any more fun there than at my regular work place, so I'm no longer wasting my spare time waiting for 23 other people to answer phonecalls and take bios."

That pretty much sums up my situation;)

Do all unicorns skate around direct answers? Or just you?

• deniterdeniter Member RarePosts: 1,430

I did quit soon after LFR feature was implemented but i used to run lots of dungeons both normal and heroic. Time was never an issue for me to not to raid, i just didn't want to set time tables and schedules because of a video game.

Back in vanilla/TBC i did few runs in ZG, MC and Kara and i really liked them alot. However, i found the time in-between the raids boring, so i rerolled a new toon often on a new server and started the journey again.

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

I run dungeons but never raid.  There are too many things I don't like about raiding systems, ranging from politics to gear score.  I'll roll an alt or just unsubscribe until new PVE content releases.

Funny, I just noticed how hostile I become at the thought of being forced to raid.  Considering how many games have endgame consisting of raiding and PVP (I never PVP), it's no surprise that I'm not a fan of endgame in general.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
    Originally posted by Bjelar

What about the option: "Yes I've cleared counless raids in multiple games, but never had any more fun there than at my regular work place, so I'm no longer wasting my spare time waiting for 23 other people to answer phonecalls and take bios."

That pretty much sums up my situation;)

I wish I could edit a poll, in which case to choice #9 I would add "time OR DESIRE" which might capture this data better.

• Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359

I've never participated in a raid...and there are a few reasons for this:

1.  I don't want to have to "plan" activities in an MMORPG.  I tend to play MMORPGs when I don't have any RL plans.  RL basically always takes priority for me, and I don't want to not do some kind of RL thing because I have an MMORPG commitment.

2.  I don't like nearly pure numerical progression.  From what I understand, gear is the primary determinant of success in most raids.  If your critical party members (tank and healer) don't have the appropriate gear, you will fail.  And you are basically forced to grind raid A over and over again to get gear before you can do raid B.  I don't like this..it feels pointless, like I'm running a treadmill for no reason other than to run a treadmill.

3.  I don't like being one inconsequential cog in a huge machine.  As I understand, the role of a single DPS player in a raid is fairly inconsequential...you are just one more cog in the DPS machine.  This doesn't really appeal to me, I like what I do to matter.

4.  On the other hand, I don't like a ton of people depending on me.  As opposed to the point in number 3, if you are the tank, then EVERYONE depends on you, and you really have to be at the top of your game.  I really don't want to deal with that kind of pressure in an MMORPG.

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

• Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359

Do all unicorns skate around direct answers? Or just you?

Are all goats this persistent?  Or just you :)?

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

• dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699

Yeah I voted for the lack of time option which only partially true.  It's more lack of desire nowadays.

It was fun while it lasted.

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• YakkinYakkin Member Posts: 919

I still do like raiding, the problem is that I don't like having to go along with a schedule to be able to raid. So I PUGged whenever I could. I usually didn't get very fair, though there were exceptions (ICC clear is my proudest moment of raiding, even if it was with the 30% buff).

But raiding sort of lost its luster once Cataclysm hit the scene; I think it was around that point that I realized that I would be stuck on an eternal hamster wheel of getting raid loot, and I just burned out on it.

I tried LFR later on after I was sent a Scroll of Resurrection, but I found Dragon Soul bland, and LFR very unsatisfying in general. It was at the point I stopped caring about the gear for their stats and how it would only last until the next patch, and started caring more about visuals.

• ZooceZooce Member Posts: 586
    Raided through WotLK, LotRO, AoC, and Rift.  All were enjoyable experiences.  WoW and AoC I had multiple characters I would raid with weekly.  AoC had the most buggy raids, but when they worked were my favorite scripted encounters.
  • laokokolaokoko Member UncommonPosts: 2,004
    ya i like raid.  raiding is fun.
  • QuicklyScottQuicklyScott Member Posts: 433
    I played a main tank for a 40 man raiding guild back in vanilla WoW.  Loved every second of it.  The most fun I've ever had, and will probably ever have in a video game.

The data so far is a bit different than I expected, would like to see a larger sample size.