Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Funcom is a joke. Never play this game.

Comments

• Kaynos1972Kaynos1972 Member Posts: 2,316
    You forgot to Cancel, it's not Funcom fault.  Pretty much every MMO's on the market use this method of billing.  Even in your free month you need to enter a payment method, you are automaticly set to auto-renew.   If you dont cancel you'll get billed.  Saying you could'Nt find the button to cancel is stupid.   I had no problems cancelling my account.   So you basicly got yourself banned for 15$ and lost a whole month of progress.  Congratulation.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus
    Originally posted by elocke
    I feel for you OP.  Before my month was over, the game just lost all hold on me and I stopped playing.  I almost wasn't going to check my account page because NO WHERE when I bought the game did it say it would apply that info to my monthly sub.  Usually MMOs have a whole separate page asking you if you want to use that payment type to pay for so many months etc. of sub fee.  Not this game.  Fortunately, I went to the account page and manually cancelled my sub which for some reason was on there as being continuous past the first free month.  I had never agreed to that.  So, yeah.  They are definitely responsible in this regard.  You may even have a nice legal issue there to dispute.  Good luck with getting it squared away, if you try.  Don't worry, GW2 is coming out in 2 weeks and that's a one time buy and a much better game.  

As i said before, its a shame, trickery and they should be punnished for this, because as long as authorities dont act against things like this, Companies will keep and try abuse it.

My experience was different, but I bought a retail copy and activated once I loaded it from home.

I seem to recall quite clearly when I created my TSW login ID a warning that asked if I understood I was creating a reoccuring billing account and of course, they asked for my credit card info during sign up, there was no option not to.

Its possible they slipped that wording in during your purchase of the game as well but you didn't catch it.

Edit: Oh yes, found this here on EA's Origin site regarding purchase of TSW.

ACCEPTANCE OF END USER ACCESS AND LICENSE AGREEMENT, PERSISTENT INTERNET CONNECTION, ACCOUNT REGISTRATION (13+ TO REGISTER), PAID SUBSCRIPTION AND VALID PAYMENT METHOD REQUIRED TO ACCESS GAMEPLAY.

The didn't really even imply that you got 30 days free first, they implied you had to sign up for a sub first before you could even play at all.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• OrphesOrphes Member UncommonPosts: 3,039
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

Glad i am used to deal with Pirates and Criminals in my daily job, i just know how to handle this.   Funcom performed an Illegal action, using the credit card i used to buy the game, for the subscription.  Without asking me specifically if i would allow this.  this is a crimminal act overhere in Holland.

They asked for billing information when I bougth the game, what did you put there?

As far as I can remember you get a list of options to use for billing.

I'm so broke. I can't even pay attention.
    "You have the right not to be killed"

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

PayPal will never payout money to any third party unless you authorize it.

So the fact that PayPal DID payout to Funcom means that you had a recurring billing agreement active on your PayPal account. If that's not the case, you should sue PayPal. As long as that agreement is active, PayPal will pay out whatever the company bills them.

I use PayPal for game subs whenever I can, and I've never had a problem, because I manage my PayPal account properly. My PayPal account gives me complete control over any game sub, because once I cancel the recurring billing agreement in my PayPal account, the game company can try to bill as often as they wish, they won't get a penny.

The OP (and the others that have aired similar complaints in this thread) only have themselves to blame if they were using PayPal.

• SorrowSorrow Member Posts: 1,195

Boggles amazed how many people defending funcom on these outrageous billing issues.

Hell I have a lifetime sub and got charged a monthly renewal, and am still waiting for a response from funcom.

So frankly I would back off the OP people have a little right to be upset with them at the moment.

Oh and another factor, I did not use paypal for my lifetime sub purchase only used it to buy some funcom points and they still charged it a monthly sub fee..  however I just cheched and it does look like they are in process of backing it off.. got a pending on it.

• SuperDonkSuperDonk Member UncommonPosts: 759

When I canceled I deleted my payment information and contacted CS to confirm that I wanted to cancel the subscription in order to ensure there was no funny business. I did this because it was not obvious to me either how to cancel the sub, it seems that companies are purposely trying to make it hard or confusing to cancel, more or less an idiot tax.

Edit: lol, I just went and checked my account status just to be sure...

• Joseph_KerrJoseph_Kerr Member RarePosts: 1,113
    One more reason for me not to give funcom anything, ever and thats besides the point they have nothing good to offer in my opinion. I think TSW should have been buy to win its sure as hell not worth a monthly fee and on top of that they have an item mall, thats just too funny to me that people actually pay to play this game an buy the virtual goods.
  • KnuckledustKnuckledust Member Posts: 12

I love how all the fanboys deem this as a user error and probably didn't even read half my post. I was already a AoC player prior to TSW, so when I bought TSW key, I did not had to enter any form of recurring payment option - it wasn't a new account. I simply entered the key and started playing right away.

Funcom event sent me an email which CLEARLY states that I wouldnt be subscribbed unless I manually chose to. This was entirely their incompetence and lack of commerce responsiblity for using the information I provided to buy the game key to bill me for a subscription I NEVER intended to buy.

Also, I am not an idiot who started using the internet yesterday. I DID NOT setup any form of recurring paymnt whatsoever.

Paypal:

My Preapproved Payments

You haven't set up any Preapproved Payments yet. They're an easier and more secure way to send money or automate payments.To get started, go to our client's website that offers PayPal Preapproved Payments.

This was entirely the result of an incompetent company trying to milk out money from their players before the game invebitably fails and sinks. Entering my billing details to simply buy a key Iand being automatically charged a susbcription without my consent IS NOT common practice whatsoever. 

And I tried to contact their live chat multiple times between 02.08 and 07.08, also sent several emails on help.funcom.com, only to receive the same old premade answers. This company is a joke and anyone who cares for legal business practices should stay away from them.

• BigRock411BigRock411 Member Posts: 299
    Originally posted by Knuckledust

Also, I am not an idiot who started using the internet yesterday. I DID NOT setup any form of recurring paymnt whatsoever.

Paypal:

My Preapproved Payments

You haven't set up any Preapproved Payments yet. They're an easier and more secure way to send money or automate payments.To get started, go to our client's website that offers PayPal Preapproved Payments.

This was entirely the result of an incompetent company trying to milk out money from their players before the game invebitably fails and sinks. Entering my billing details to simply buy a key Iand being automatically charged a susbcription without my consent IS NOT common practice whatsoever. 

And I tried to contact their live chat multiple times between 02.08 and 07.08, also sent several emails on help.funcom.com, only to receive the same old premade answers. This company is a joke and anyone who cares for legal business practices should stay away from them.

Well considering you had to set up one of 3 reoccuring payment plans to play...

Im not saying your an idiot, just saying you didnt read.  

Also want to point out again, just about every p2p game makes you set up a reoccuring payment plan.

Again mabey you should stick to f2p games if this concept is too rough to manage.

• BigRock411BigRock411 Member Posts: 299

For those who claim its not obvious....

you have 3 choices here...can we all guess which choice will cancel the account?

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

Paypal:

My Preapproved Payments

I suggest you cancel your PayPal account.

If PayPal are paying out any random company that asks for money from your account, then PayPal is not trustworthy.

Afaik PayPal only pays out funds if you initiate the transaction from a vendor website (requires you to login to your PayPal acct), or if you have a preapproved payment agreement active on your PayPal account. Otherwise, what's the point of a "preapproved payment agreement" ?

I love how all the fanboys deem this as a user error and probably didn't even read half my post. I was already a AoC player prior to TSW, so when I bought TSW key, I did not had to enter any form of recurring payment option - it wasn't a new account. I simply entered the key and started playing right away.

Funcom event sent me an email which CLEARLY states that I wouldnt be subscribbed unless I manually chose to. This was entirely their incompetence and lack of commerce responsiblity for using the information I provided to buy the game key to bill me for a subscription I NEVER intended to buy.

Copy paste the email.

Originally posted by Orphes

Copy paste the email.

With pleasure:

Dear x,

Thank you for purchasing The Secret World. We very much hope that you are enjoying your adventures and are ready for many more.

We need to inform you that your Paypal payment for game time on account requires you to complete preapproval in order for the payment to be successfully processed.

Your access to the game will stop on 2012-08-02.

Please note that we have some very nice launch offers on game time available right now. Some of these offers even include free Funcom Bonus Points which can be used until the 31st of September for purchases from the in-game store.

CLICK HERE to go to your account page

We are thankful for the excellent reactions the game is receiving from our users and very much look forward to sharing more adventures with you. We look forward to seeing you in-game!

Best regards,
    Funcom 

• BigCountryBigCountry Member Posts: 478

X2.

Always cancel your auto payments thru the Paypal Website. Not the gaming account Websites.

Only way to be sure.

Do this for all games. Especially an Xbox Live account. Microsoft makes that crap impossible to cancel via their Website...lmao

BigCountry | Head Hunters | www.wefarmpeople.com

• TalulaRoseTalulaRose Member RarePosts: 1,247

Hello guys,

I signed up on this site just to let others know about the absurdity that happened to me. 

I started playin TSW on the 3 day headstart (preordered the game), and until 02.08 I had roughly 16 days of played time, meaning I dedicated alot of time to this game. Regardless, my financial situation is bad and I was not going to sub the game, and was just waiting for the 1 month free time to expire. They sent me an email on 02.08 reminding me to manually renew the game subscription for another month - I use Paypal. I thought to myself: I wish I could, nice little title etc, but no can do right now.

4 hours later, 15 EUR were billed on my Paypal account to Funcom WITHOUT my authorization whatsoever. They just took my data and BILLED me. I did not signed up for any form of automatic subscription or payment method, I didn't need to because I am an old AoC player (who has been disappointed with FC before, but this is much more aggravating).

I proceeded to contact FC via email, since their live chat is worthless, and was answered I could not get a refund because it was a Paypal transaction. I then proceeded to file a Paypal dispute, which obviously was solved in my favour. Result: I got my 15 EUR back - which I never inteded to give FC in the first place - AND HAD MY ACCOUNT BANNED. Yeah, Funcom permanently banned my account because I filed the Paypal claim.

Now I will not be able to play TSW unless I give them another 50 EUR which is obviously never going to happen. I then proceeded to file another Paypal dispute describing this situation and got my 50 EUR back, since I cannot use the product I paid for due to an arbitrary and unjustified decision of the seller.

This is my short story to you, as cool as the game might look, sooner or later it will become just another endless gear treadmill - literally. Endgame content resumes in 5 Dungeons you grind every 16h to get a currency named Bullion, which you use to buy Vendor gear and upgrade them from tier 10 to 10.4. This is endgame. The skill wheel is a good way to make you think you have possibilities, but in fact you are pigeonholed to DPS, healer or Tank role and there is very few skills that work for said roles. LFG is also based on your gear score, so fellow WoW players would feel like home.

Despite of this being just another generic game, I liked it and was intending to play it in the future, but looking from my perspective now, I am kinda thankful to Funcom for their incompetence which led me to receive my money back and take my girl to a fine dinner tonight, which ended up in sweet love.

Stay away from Funcom and don't be fooled by their marketing of this game. They are incompetent and this game is crap.

Best regards,

Knuckle

"I did not signed up for any form of automatic subscription or payment method, I didn't need to because I am an old AoC player"

I also have an AoC account and still had to pick a sub option for TSW.

Originally posted by TalulaRose

Hello guys,

I signed up on this site just to let others know about the absurdity that happened to me. 

I started playin TSW on the 3 day headstart (preordered the game), and until 02.08 I had roughly 16 days of played time, meaning I dedicated alot of time to this game. Regardless, my financial situation is bad and I was not going to sub the game, and was just waiting for the 1 month free time to expire. They sent me an email on 02.08 reminding me to manually renew the game subscription for another month - I use Paypal. I thought to myself: I wish I could, nice little title etc, but no can do right now.

4 hours later, 15 EUR were billed on my Paypal account to Funcom WITHOUT my authorization whatsoever. They just took my data and BILLED me. I did not signed up for any form of automatic subscription or payment method, I didn't need to because I am an old AoC player (who has been disappointed with FC before, but this is much more aggravating).

I proceeded to contact FC via email, since their live chat is worthless, and was answered I could not get a refund because it was a Paypal transaction. I then proceeded to file a Paypal dispute, which obviously was solved in my favour. Result: I got my 15 EUR back - which I never inteded to give FC in the first place - AND HAD MY ACCOUNT BANNED. Yeah, Funcom permanently banned my account because I filed the Paypal claim.

Now I will not be able to play TSW unless I give them another 50 EUR which is obviously never going to happen. I then proceeded to file another Paypal dispute describing this situation and got my 50 EUR back, since I cannot use the product I paid for due to an arbitrary and unjustified decision of the seller.

This is my short story to you, as cool as the game might look, sooner or later it will become just another endless gear treadmill - literally. Endgame content resumes in 5 Dungeons you grind every 16h to get a currency named Bullion, which you use to buy Vendor gear and upgrade them from tier 10 to 10.4. This is endgame. The skill wheel is a good way to make you think you have possibilities, but in fact you are pigeonholed to DPS, healer or Tank role and there is very few skills that work for said roles. LFG is also based on your gear score, so fellow WoW players would feel like home.

Despite of this being just another generic game, I liked it and was intending to play it in the future, but looking from my perspective now, I am kinda thankful to Funcom for their incompetence which led me to receive my money back and take my girl to a fine dinner tonight, which ended up in sweet love.

Stay away from Funcom and don't be fooled by their marketing of this game. They are incompetent and this game is crap.

Best regards,

Knuckle

"I did not signed up for any form of automatic subscription or payment method, I didn't need to because I am an old AoC player"

If anything, your statement proves that the error was on Funcom's end, not mine.

Originally posted by Orphes

Copy paste the email.

With pleasure:

Dear x,

Thank you for purchasing The Secret World. We very much hope that you are enjoying your adventures and are ready for many more.

We need to inform you that your Paypal payment for game time on account requires you to complete preapproval in order for the payment to be successfully processed.

Please note that we have some very nice launch offers on game time available right now. Some of these offers even include free Funcom Bonus Points which can be used until the 31st of September for purchases from the in-game store.

We are thankful for the excellent reactions the game is receiving from our users and very much look forward to sharing more adventures with you. We look forward to seeing you in-game!

Best regards,
    Funcom 

This line: 

We need to inform you that your Paypal payment for game time on account requires you to complete preapproval in order for the payment to be successfully processed.

Is the preapproval that you do at PayPal, that preapproval is done when you sign in to PayPal, Funcom opens that webpage for you when you register. Otherwise you would not have the PayPal register at Funcom.

That email can be a blanket statement. It doesn't necessarly know or regard if you have or have not preapproval set at PayPal.

Except that the following line is confusing:

Check your emails to see if you got the approval email from Paypal, or check at profile at Paypal.

The cancelation email looks like this:

"Dear [ACCOUNT], 

We need to inform you that due to your cancellation of recurring game time on account [ACCOUNT], your access to the game will stop on 2012-08-02. 

You may at any time purchase additional game time to continue playing. 

Best regards,
    Funcom"

• TalulaRoseTalulaRose Member RarePosts: 1,247
    Originally posted by TalulaRose

Hello guys,

Best regards,

Knuckle

If anything, your statement proves that the error was on Funcom's end, not mine.

Wrong again, it means I knowingly clicked on the reoccuring paid sub option. Like you did. Error was yours for not cancelling.

Now stop trolling and accept the fault was yours.

• ariestearieste Member UncommonPosts: 3,309

I had roughly 16 days of played time

this game is crap.

Wow.  The game is crap and despite that you've just spent approx 12 hours a day for a MONTH playing it?  You sir, have the patience of a saint.

I generally quit "crap" games within a day or two.  Still, given that it somehow managed to entertain you for almost 400 hours, I think it was probably worth the money.  Certainly, if i was told that i would get 400 hours of playtime out of any game, I would gladly fork out $100 for it.

"I’d rather work on something with great potential than on fulfilling a promise of mediocrity."

- Raph Koster

Tried: AO,EQ,EQ2,DAoC,SWG,AA,SB,HZ,CoX,PS,GA,TR,IV,GnH,EVE, PP,DnL,WAR,MxO,SWG,FE,VG,AoC,DDO,LoTRO,Rift,TOR,Aion,Tera,TSW,GW2,DCUO,CO,STO
    Favourites: AO,SWG,EVE,TR,LoTRO,TSW,EQ2, Firefall
    Currently Playing: ESO

• madazzmadazz Member RarePosts: 2,107
    Originally posted by Shozer

Yup. I'm looking at the cancelation button right now. It wasn't hidden either. Those who couldn't find it just didn't look hard enough and if you intended to cancel your account and just decided to quit searching and hope you weren't going to be charged... well... you had what was coming to you.

I found how to cancel too, but they did an exceptionally abysmal job of their account settings page. I almost feel like they tried to purposely make it difficult!

• jdnycjdnyc Member UncommonPosts: 1,643
    Originally posted by arieste

Wow.  The game is crap and despite that you've just spent approx 12 hours a day for a MONTH playing it?  You sir, have the patience of a saint.

I generally quit "crap" games within a day or two.  Still, given that it somehow managed to entertain you for almost 400 hours, I think it was probably worth the money.  Certainly, if i was told that i would get 400 hours of playtime out of any game, I would gladly fork out $100 for it.

Bravo!  Very well said.

I honestly can only think of one game that was pure crap that made me angry from the get go.  FF14.

AoC, STO, Warhammer - all gave me a feeling a meh to anger (most notably AoC) for the short comings.

TSW does not belong to be grouped with crap games.  It is a niche game though and it's not for everyone.

• OcenicaOcenica Member UncommonPosts: 96
    I had no trouble un-subbing and cancelling my account from FUNCOM products when needed.  Sorry for your unfortunate events.
  • EvelknievelEvelknievel Member UncommonPosts: 2,964
    Originally posted by elocke
    Originally posted by P4YB4CK

I really can't take this thread sersiously.

How many times have we heard this same story from different companys as well.

Players waiting till the last minute to cancel in which you have 30 days to cancel, use your brain next time.

Except that other games don't use your payment of the game box and that first free month as part of the contract for the monthly sub.  Or if they do, they tell you about in nice big bold letters and with a check box to agree to.  This one did not.  So get off your high horse.

Nothing personal and I am not addressing you, but if you can't figure out how to cancel when you got 30 days to figure out the account page, it's your fault, not Funcom or any other company.

TO MAKE BIG BOLD LETTERS TO SAY 'CANCEL' HERE, seriously.. What kind of player to do take me for.

Originally posted by jdnyc
    Originally posted by arieste

Bravo!  Very well said.

I honestly can only think of one game that was pure crap that made me angry from the get go.  FF14.

AoC, STO, Warhammer - all gave me a feeling a meh to anger (most notably AoC) for the short comings.

TSW does not belong to be grouped with crap games.  It is a niche game though and it's not for everyone.

Calling this game a niche game only leads to believe you never played it. Settings doesn't make a niche game, and its the only part of TSW which differs from other generic hundreds of mmos.