Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Help me like this game

Dear ToR players,

I'm a fan of the Star Wars franchise, I'm a fan of Bioware's classic games (Baldur's Gate, KoToR, Mass Effect, etc.), but I seem to not be able to hold my attention on ToR.

While I wait for GW2 (apologies in advance, it actually seems like a solid game), I decided to try the free version of ToR, but even then, I couldn't bare it and actually wanted to just play Aion.... I so want to like this game.... :(

Here are some reasons I'm not enjoying ToR.

1. Game pace feels slow or disconnected.

2. Game doesn't feel immersive. I feel the levels or maybe character placements or maybe character animations aren't as well designed. I just feel "disconnected" from the universe.

3. I dislike its combat system. There's no auto-combat, making the combat feel repetitive (e.g., press 1, 2, 3, 2, 1, 1...) and not fluid at all or intense. (Maybe I'm missing something?)

4. I'm not in it for PvP, especially with a combat system I don't enjoy.

I only played to level 10, as a Republic Jedi Knight. What are things that I could look forward to? What draws you to the game?

Thanks!

Hopeful ToR player

Comments

• OnigodOnigod Member UncommonPosts: 756

nvm  (removed it)

• SuperXero89SuperXero89 Member UncommonPosts: 2,551

Well, if you want intense combat, play a Sentinel or a Marauder.  Combat gets more challenging around the end of act 1.

Generally, I find ranged classes to be a bit boring in comparison, especially the trooper/BH.

Slow-paced gameplay seems like a strange complain, especially at level 10 when you haven't had to deal with the massively oversized planets you contend with once you get your ship.

SW:TOR's gameworld really isn't very immsersive, and it tends to only get worse later in the game.  The only advice I can give you is to watch every cutscene and try to get drawn into the storylines.

• LeetheLeethe Member UncommonPosts: 893
    Originally posted by Ramadar
    Asking for help is a show weakness 

I got this but others won't.

Anyway: OP even though I don't play anymore one fun element was engaging multiple enemies at the same time. Try a jedi shadow. It's not as much of a jarhead like the knight and stealth gives you a few more options when I comes to combat.

There is NO miracle patch.

95% of what you see in beta won't change by launch.

Hope is not a stategy.

• lustbustlustbust Member Posts: 38

i just got a warning for saying how crap i found this game to be.

listen mmorpg staff....... like i said i was super hyped for it and it was beyond a major let down for me. I will voice my opinion.It is not trolling it is called i wasted 60$ on a game that was lame.

the OP is asking WHY he should play it..... I would rather give him reason to not want to play it.It left a sour taste in my mouth.

all because bioware pays you to advertise their game does not give you the right to try sensor a negative comment about a product.

i have to give a reason why it is crap???? pvping was impossible for some. Major rubberbanding and it was entirely their fault not my hardware/internet or anybody elses.

Thats been fixed since launch??? GREAT!!!!! but who wants to follow a company that releases a game in that state? With that kind of budget??

• ShaddyDaddyShaddyDaddy Member UncommonPosts: 192
    Originally posted by Winterhound

Dear ToR players,

I'm a fan of the Star Wars franchise, I'm a fan of Bioware's classic games (Baldur's Gate, KoToR, Mass Effect, etc.), but I seem to not be able to hold my attention on ToR.

While I wait for GW2 (apologies in advance, it actually seems like a solid game), I decided to try the free version of ToR, but even then, I couldn't bare it and actually wanted to just play Aion.... I so want to like this game.... :(

2. Game doesn't feel immersive. I feel the levels or maybe character placements or maybe character animations aren't as well designed. I just feel "disconnected" from the universe.

3. I dislike its combat system. There's no auto-combat, making the combat feel repetitive (e.g., press 1, 2, 3, 2, 1, 1...) and not fluid at all or intense. (Maybe I'm missing something?)

I only played to level 10, as a Republic Jedi Knight. What are things that I could look forward to? What draws you to the game?

Thanks!

Hopeful ToR player

Don't force yourself to play a game. What I quoted is a prime reason for you to stop playing. Any game you feel like you have to come to a open forum and say "Make me wanna play this game" is one you should bow out of and find something that you will enjoy. Gamer life is to short. Play something you enjoy on a personal level.

• Blazer6992Blazer6992 Member UncommonPosts: 642

Just do what the other millions of people did, quit it.

• AconsarAconsar Member Posts: 262

If you're unable to like something on your own, how is someone else convincing you going to work?

In contrast, I absolutely love Eve's concepts, the universe, the sandbox, the spaceships and the general idea.  But that's just it, I love the "idea" of Eve but I've since come to the conclusion (after playing for over a year collectively) that I just don't enjoy it as a game.

That seems to be the case for you with ToR.  Just because you like Star Wars and even older BioWare games doesn't mean you'll like this title.  And for the record, I loved the older BW titles too, but I can't stand Mass Effect or Dragon Age.  ToR was no exception there.

• FraugnutzFraugnutz Member Posts: 69
    I heard that drinking bleach can cause brain damage. You might want to start there...A ball peen hammer might be a good second choice if the former option proves ineffective.
  • warmaster670warmaster670 Member Posts: 1,384
    Originally posted by Ramadar
    Asking for help is a show weakness 

asking for help isnt a weakness, refusing help when you need it or not asking for it when you need it are.

Apparently stating the truth in my sig is "trolling"
    Sig typo fixed thanks to an observant stragen001.

• mmoguy43mmoguy43 Member UncommonPosts: 2,770

From what I've heard, the force user class stories aren't very interesting compared to the bounty hunter or smuggler ones.

Also if you are playing SWTOR right after having played another themepark MMO you probably will have a harder time getting into it.

• PelaajaPelaaja Member Posts: 697
    Originally posted by SuperXero89

Well, if you want intense combat, play a Sentinel or a Marauder.  Combat gets more challenging around the end of act 1.

Generally, I find ranged classes to be a bit boring in comparison, especially the trooper/BH.

Slow-paced gameplay seems like a strange complain, especially at level 10 when you haven't had to deal with the massively oversized planets you contend with once you get your ship.

SW:TOR's gameworld really isn't very immsersive, and it tends to only get worse later in the game.  The only advice I can give you is to watch every cutscene and try to get drawn into the storylines.

That's not even half-true.

I've been playing Jedi Sentinel for the past 2 weeks and it's as "intense" as Sith Sorc.

And how can you say combat gets more challenging? Mobs just hit a tad harder than they used to at the beginning, it's not like they would suddenly have intelligent AI, tactics or challenging new skills.

• SixfeetunderSixfeetunder Member UncommonPosts: 180

For Op :

You like or not that it....so many game release every week...try an other

• RockhideRockhide Member Posts: 155

One of the things that TOR actually does well IMO is provide opportunities for the player to create his or her own challenges.  The basic pulls are pathetic, but there's no reason you can't go after higher level foes, engage champions, or try to run heroics or flashpoints solo while they're still worth XP.

Depending on the player, I think TOR's simplicity can actually work in it's favor.   It's easy to pick up and has a very low frustration factor (although it can be both boring and annoying).  From what I understand the community, such as it is, also places a much smaller emphasis on player performance that exists in many other games.  As a sort of "MMO kindergarten" experience, there's room for the new player to learn basic MMO gameplay while asking little enough from him that he won't feel bad about moving on.

If you're used to more fully-featured MMOs, however, if you don't like the story and the setting isn't doing it for you, then you're pretty much done; that's really all that stands out about the game for players at that level of experience IMO.

• WinterhoundWinterhound Member Posts: 66

Thanks for trying to help, Everyone! As a Star Wars fan, I was really rooting for this game, but it doesn't look like it's for me. It's kind of heartbreaking, really. :(

Thanks again and happy gaming!

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063
    Originally posted by Aconsar

If you're unable to like something on your own, how is someone else convincing you going to work?

In contrast, I absolutely love Eve's concepts, the universe, the sandbox, the spaceships and the general idea.  But that's just it, I love the "idea" of Eve but I've since come to the conclusion (after playing for over a year collectively) that I just don't enjoy it as a game.

That seems to be the case for you with ToR.  Just because you like Star Wars and even older BioWare games doesn't mean you'll like this title.  And for the record, I loved the older BW titles too, but I can't stand Mass Effect or Dragon Age.  ToR was no exception there.

This. I'm a Star Wars fan too but I have not enjoyed the majority of the games based on that IP. If you're having to force yourself to like this game, then it simply isn't for you. And I say this as someone who enjoyed his time in TOR. 

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935
    If you're not enjoying it, don't play it.  Try it again at a later time.
  • keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191
    If you are not enjoying it play Skyrim instead and then try Guild Wars 2 when it comes out :-)

There Is Always Hope!

• just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641

My first character was a Jedi Knight and I bailed at level 17.  Waaaay too boring.  My second character was a Sentinel and my third was Imperial and a healer.  I have to say that I most enjoyed the healer (oddly enough) because it kept me busy healing my companion as he fought for me.  I fought too, but I healed him a LOT. Even at that.....I made it only to level 27 on two characters, one Imperial, one Republic in the end.

I remember thinking the same thing.....can't someone make me like this game more.  I really liked it.....until around lvl 27, but then it got boring for me.  Why?  I really have no idea.  Maybe the combat, maybe the fact that the planets felt barren?  I don't know.

If you aren't enjoying a game....I think it's best to just quit and find one you DO enjoy.  Of course having the game free to play might make it more enjoyable in that you can still explore your options in it without having to pay while you're bored.  Again....I don't know.

Sorry, I guess I'm not too helpful, but I do understand what you're thinking and feeling about the game.

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002
    Originally posted by Winterhound

Dear ToR players,

Thanks!

Hopeful ToR player

Here's my thought...

nowhere did you mention anything about how much you live the story elements. Since that is the main focal point of this game I suspect, after your other criticisms, it's not for you.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • ZigZagsZigZags Member UncommonPosts: 381
    You ought to just quit playing. To feed money to these people who created the game would be like paying Bernie Madoff even after his ponzie scheme became public....just dont do it.

Dragnon - Guildmaster - Albion Central Bank in Albion Online

www.albioncentralbank.enjin.com