Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What will happen to the Go GO GO crowd?

Comments

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Originally posted by vmoped
    Originally posted by Kyleran
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

One of the things i hated in the last couple of MMO´s i played is that there where allways people pushing groups to move faster. And i am not talking about a small minorrity, but a lot of people took over this mentallity, pushing people to move and fight as fast as possible in their shining gear and move as quickly from dungeon to dungeon.

I did really hate that attitude.

I just hope that in GW2 people will lay this attitude to rest and try to enjoy the content again, because the game is much less repetitive contentwise then other MMO´s

I've largely given up grouping and doing dungeons because of this attitude, because, well, I'm slow.  I find myself always falling behind everyone because I'm just not in that much of a hurry to get done. (I actually like to look around, or clear everything in the dungeon, and not rush through at the optimal speed).

These days, unless I'm in a group with guildmates, I don't bother.

If GW2 somehow reduces that sort of rushing I might actually return to the dungeon running realms once again.

Mother help me, but I actually agree with you Kyleran. ;)

This has happened to me in nearly every mmo I have played, and it was much more noticeable to me after WoW introduced dungeon finder.  It happens in DDO, WoW, War, Tor, TSW, Tera, Aion, etc. now.  It really ruins your first time thru.  I can't tell you how many groups booted me in Tor for watching the cutscenes even after I told them in advance it was my first time and/or I wantedto watch them.  This was mainly on RP servers as well.  Oh well, here is hoping for the future!

Cheers!

It actually happened to me twice, early on , and I'm more sensitive than you, image so I stopped running the group content after that.  Unfortunately most of my guild was at the end game raiding so I pretty much missed out on the dungeons.

In TSW I'm gunshy, since I don't play betas I'm new compared to most everyone else and I haven't even bothered to try and put myself through the aggrevation, I pretty much solo everything.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• ThemePorkThemePork Member Posts: 312
    Originally posted by Eir_S
    Originally posted by ThemePork
    Originally posted by Macecard
    I just hope that in GW2 people will lay this attitude to rest and try to enjoy the content again

Good luck with that. IMO GW2 will set new standards for what a horrible community can be.

huge hype + absence of a monthly sub = recipe for disaster

New standards for YOU maybe. Have you played many crappy chinese P2W games and witnessed those communities?

If you have then you expectation of GW2 is trollish as in all the BWE's people have been far better than in those games and if you havnt, then go wake to a world where everything you have witnessed is not actaully everything.

Sorry I forgot it was politically incorrect to say anything negative about GW2. A momentary lapse of reason, it won't happen again.

Poor you, getting sanctimonious for posting something without a lick of evidence to support it and insulting an entire community in the process.  You're not insulting the game, you're insulting its players, you deserve whatever you get.

Do I really need to provide hard evidence to prove that hyped up f2p games attract horrid communities?

Go play League of Legends for a while, that should be proof enough.

• StinkFootStinkFoot Member Posts: 25
    I just hope that in GW2 people will lay this attitude to rest and try to enjoy the content again

Good luck with that. IMO GW2 will set new standards for what a horrible community can be.

New standards for YOU maybe. Have you played many crappy chinese P2W games and witnessed those communities?

If you have then you expectation of GW2 is trollish as in all the BWE's people have been far better than in those games and if you havnt, then go wake to a world where everything you have witnessed is not actaully everything.

Sorry I forgot it was politically incorrect to say anything negative about GW2. A momentary lapse of reason, it won't happen again.

Poor you, getting sanctimonious for posting something without a lick of evidence to support it and insulting an entire community in the process.  You're not insulting the game, you're insulting its players, you deserve whatever you get.

Tera's Community isn't so great and it's P2P. A lot of bickering on the forums, Superiority Complexes, Moral Issues (Company included) and people kicking people in the LFD that was installed in the game by En-Masse Entertainment.

I've played F2P games were the community was nicer. Perhaps because those games lacked all those casual-grind-fest players that exist off of World of Warcraft, Rift, or League of Legends? It's a wonder when those types of players are absent from a game.

It actually makes the experience playing the game far more enjoyable.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

Perhaps consider looking in the mirror sometimes?

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Originally posted by Kyleran

Perhaps consider looking in the mirror sometimes?

You want to point out where I did that?  Otherwise, get lost.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

A good community is build by people, and when new people enter a group, they will addapt.

If in my group 3 other people also told the Go Go GO fella to keep quiet and addapt, he either would addapt or leave, in each of those cases the group won.

The only thinkg thats keeping a community from cleansing their world of this behaviour is the rules set by the developers, because they are affraid to loose subs, guess what, no subs in GW2, so the mighty banhammer will rule and prevent disaster.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254

Do I really need to provide hard evidence to prove that hyped up f2p games attract horrid communities?

GW2 isn't F2P. And LoL isn't "hyped up." It actually started weak. It grew it's userbase over time and now a lot of people play it. And that is called anecdotal evidence which doesn't prove anything.

Besides all that, what are you really saying? High population = horrible community? Maybe. But I don't see waht makes GW2 any different than any other game. I epsecially don't see what makes it different than the other B2P game, GW1 (which sold 7 million accounts), which seemed to have an ok community.

• lilHealalilHeala Member UncommonPosts: 522

There's no direct connection between the payment model and the quality of the community. I think the chance banned players will return is the same if not even smaller than in sub mmo's. Several sub mmo's either you don't have to buy the game or can get it very cheap so it's just a matter of creating a new account. For GW2 in order to return after a ban you'll have to buy the game again and I don't expect to see big price drops on those for quite some time due to the payment model.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

What does F2P have to do with B2P?  Besides, I've been playing LoL for about 2 months, I've run into the same amount of jackasses as I have in other games, and far less than I ever ran into in WoW, which is a sub game... payment model has nothing to do with it.

• lilHealalilHeala Member UncommonPosts: 522

Go play LOTRO for a while, that should be proof enough that f2p games don't necesarily attract and sustain a horrid community. Ok it's not hyped but it's still a triple A MMO and I think you won't find many F2P games that are hyped.

But GW2 is B2P which makes it a bit different, so that point is moot anyways.

• RandaynRandayn Member UncommonPosts: 904
    As far as running an instanced dungeon while leveling up or at endgame and seeing it for the first time, sure, you should'nt rush people....but if it's the same raid you've run about 10 times already, please rush.  I remember being an off-tank for probably the slowest tank ever in WoW for our raids.  It was painful.  Finally, when he was unable to play for a week, I took over and everyone realized what I was talking about....it took about 25% of the time to do what we had been doing for weeks.  So i think GO GO GO mentality is needed at times and at other times it's not.

• Methos12Methos12 Member UncommonPosts: 1,244
    What will happen to the Go GO GO crowd?

The usual. They'll steamroll through content in 2 weeks, complain the game is an unfinished failure and then leave.

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
  • Mari2kMari2k Member UncommonPosts: 367
    Originally posted by Istavaan
    Hopefully they will go back to wow when mop launches.

I hope not !

GW2 is the best chance to clean WoW from  that idiots.

• ThemePorkThemePork Member Posts: 312

A good community is build by people, and when new people enter a group, they will addapt.

If in my group 3 other people also told the Go Go GO fella to keep quiet and addapt, he either would addapt or leave, in each of those cases the group won.

Agreed but it works the other way around too. If you have 4 rushers in a group of 5, guess who gets told to adapt or leave?

It's the majority rule.

You believe the majority will be decent players, I believe the opposite, that's all.

Be that as it may and  wether I'm right or wrong, you'll all still be able to enjoy the game, I never claimed otherwise. It's very easy to isolate oneself from a bad community in an MMO, just find a decent guild and shut out everyone else.

• AdzijaAdzija Member UncommonPosts: 58

I have read the title and had to laugh at loud.

My guess is they will just do what they do best and that is: GO, GO, GO !!

• PoufPouf Member Posts: 341

The problem with cinematic in TSW or games like that is that some people like me, already ran it 10 times, so it gets annoying to wait for it.

Me and my GF plays Healer and Tank ( yea she is the tank ) and the first time we went in, i wanted to see the cinematic like everyone, and when we quest we do watch the video. The problem is that we are built to do dungeon, and since it's the same dungeon for quite a while, it does get annoying to see the cinematic everytime.

I think that the people who skips cinematic on 1st time are rare, and those that wants to do that, I do not want them in my game, but I still understand that some people wants to skip it when it's the 5th time in that evening that you do the same instance. Maybe those kind of cinematic should be put AFTER loot roll, not before..

The game's mechanic is the core of the problem IMHO not the players

• GorillaGorilla Member UncommonPosts: 2,235

What does F2P have to do with B2P?  Besides, I've been playing LoL for about 2 months, I've run into the same amount of jackasses as I have in other games, and far less than I ever ran into in WoW, which is a sub game... payment model has nothing to do with it.

True that.

One of the things I hate is ninja looters, that particular brand of arse hattery....eliminated in GW2. 

As to rushing, I think that's largely down to the hamster wheel effect. Not needing to grind dungeons, and challenging content should help.

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,990

Nothing will happen to them.

They will be alive and well enraging fellow team mates in dungeons same as they always do.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• toddzetoddze Member UncommonPosts: 2,150

hmm when jackasses run into jackasses which one is the jackass? The bigger one?

Bottom line, payment type does matter, in this dpt. some. But by no means does that mean a p2p game weeds out all of those players. What does? a group cenrtric game. The community blists those type of players then they eventually cannot find a group and are forced to leave the game. 1 Major reason why I like group centric games.  

Waiting for:EQ-Next, ArcheAge (not so much anymore)
    Now Playing: N/A
    Worst MMO: FFXIV
    Favorite MMO: FFXI

• BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380
    This was prevalent in D3 big time.  People in grouped games were pushing forward so fast that they weren't even picking up gold. 
  • ZairuZairu Member Posts: 469
    Originally posted by StinkFoot

I don't play games to burn through them. I play games to enjoy them and explore every nook and cranny available. The game isn't disappearing anytime soon so there's no point in gobbling through the content and then being left in the bored-zone once the game as been "conqured".

• EvelknievelEvelknievel Member UncommonPosts: 2,964

Well at least when GW2 is released, the real fanbase will be in the other mmo's we have. So if you think about it, GW2 may be the savior to the other game communities to remove the image's from their games and on to GW2?

I know it's a bad joke, but how many times have you seen someone talking about WoW in a non related MMO or FPS game. At least this crowd now will head to a free B2P game.

• ArcheangelArcheangel Member UncommonPosts: 49

Yeah, at least 50% of the time I was tanking in WoW, someone would be rushing me to pull more mobs.  People get impatient and snarky, such is the way of MMOs.

I do feel, however, that since everyone in the group will be required to participate to really conquer the later dungeons, people will have to learn to hold their horses and make sure everyone's on the same page before engaging a tough enemy.

I had the same problem in WoW, it got so bad that DPS started pulling mobs then shouted "GET IT OFF!!!" with a watchmen style "save us." attitude... And i stood back and said.  "No."

• Four0SixFour0Six Member UncommonPosts: 1,175

I think GW2 should play faster actually.

I played in 1 beta, then the emails started that said if I wanted to play more I had to buy, so I am not "All Knowing" concerning GW2.

But....I played the CIty series for many years and often ran with custom built groups that didn't sport "trinity". The results almost always fell into 2 groups.

Group 1: Fail or advance at a crawl. These groups had to rely on pulling singles and often suffered wipes.

Group 2: Crush all in sight. These groups would roll though groups and bosses like a hot knife though butter.

There are reasons for why the scenerio's played out like they did but that is lots of "theorycrafting" and not really part of what I am saying.

If you want "slow" play you need a tank, end of story. Otherwise you need to burn down the enemy ASAP.

• BlakkrskyrrBlakkrskyrr Member Posts: 230
    Originally posted by Istavaan
    Hopefully they will go back to wow when mop launches.

bleh! i played WoW for 4 years, and Blizzard freakin ruined it with the release of BC.  I played maybe a week of WotLK and then stopped, and haven't played since.  "A foolish man is like a dog returning to it's vomit"