Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What will happen to the Go GO GO crowd?

Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

One of the things i hated in the last couple of MMO´s i played is that there where allways people pushing groups to move faster. And i am not talking about a small minorrity, but a lot of people took over this mentallity, pushing people to move and fight as fast as possible in their shining gear and move as quickly from dungeon to dungeon.

I did really hate that attitude.

I just hope that in GW2 people will lay this attitude to rest and try to enjoy the content again, because the game is much less repetitive contentwise then other MMO´s

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

Comments

• AlotAlot Member Posts: 1,948

We will send all of them to this site to liven up the community. : P

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

Yeah, at least 50% of the time I was tanking in WoW, someone would be rushing me to pull more mobs.  People get impatient and snarky, such is the way of MMOs.

I do feel, however, that since everyone in the group will be required to participate to really conquer the later dungeons, people will have to learn to hold their horses and make sure everyone's on the same page before engaging a tough enemy.

• wolvie3131wolvie3131 Member UncommonPosts: 196

Hopefully they go go go to a cold dark dank place and live there for all eternity imo.

could never stand those types myself, one great reason I loved being a healer. get in a group see those gogogogogogo words, and leave............

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

One of the things i hated in the last couple of MMO´s i played is that there where allways people pushing groups to move faster. And i am not talking about a small minorrity, but a lot of people took over this mentallity, pushing people to move and fight as fast as possible in their shining gear and move as quickly from dungeon to dungeon.

I just hope that in GW2 people will lay this attitude to rest and try to enjoy the content again, because the game is much less repetitive contentwise then other MMO´s

as you can see by the thread after thread of whats endgame? the people with this attitude simply don't get it or understand how you could possibly design a game without the carrot on a stick gear progression. When warcaft came out the majority of MMO players enjoyed this type of gameplay and "endgame" if you will. But as indication of the past decade MMO gamers are moving away from this type of game more and more every year. Think GW2 model is going to suprise a lot of people in how much actual longevity people can get out of it.

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• IndromeIndrome Member UncommonPosts: 292

Haha... I love those types. If they do it right and motivate people without getting insulting, it can be a real blast to see how fast you can go and what kind of group-dynamic finds its roots in that. (I've done it myself in SWToR lots of times. Makes the seven thousandth run through instance X much more interesting... just pushing on. DDs still on last mob of group A -> at 20% run to group B and start tanking it... good times)

I look forward to this in GW2 because there will be a multitude of different playstyle paces not only existing but even encouraged. Wanna take your time? Fine. Wanna rush through it? Fine as well.

Of course there are those types that don't listen to their slowest team member when he's pleading for mercy... but you'll have to learn to communicate. Ask about "rushing" or some preferences the other players might have in any dungeon BEFORE you enter it.

If you find yourself running with crowds you don't like, OP, GW2 enables you to just leave them be without a word; without having to elongate on some hogwash reason for why you "can't" play with them anymore.

• ThemePorkThemePork Member Posts: 312
    I just hope that in GW2 people will lay this attitude to rest and try to enjoy the content again

Good luck with that. IMO GW2 will set new standards for what a horrible community can be.

huge hype + absence of a monthly sub = recipe for disaster

• mymmomymmo Member UncommonPosts: 311
    Originally posted by Alot

We will send all of them to this site to liven up the community. : P

ah yes. here were even a game that has not yet been realsed is seen as a mega failure :)

Eve online and +1500 steam games in the back cataloge makes me a stressed out gamer.
  • NormikeNormike Member Posts: 436
    Won't they still rush to get to max level to get gear with just slightly better stats for WvWvW or sPvP?  Or to rush through crafting to get the best crafted gear? Or to max all of the crafting trades? Even if there's a slight advantage in higher level gear, people are gonna rush to get it first.  WvWvW and sPvP is way too popular. 
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    if you time it right you can usually get the 'go go go' types to kill themselves via mob related suicide.. works in wow anyway. as a tank it can be hillarious to watch them run around begging you to draw aggro off of them.. image
  • MacecardMacecard Member UncommonPosts: 142
    Originally posted by ThemePork
    I just hope that in GW2 people will lay this attitude to rest and try to enjoy the content again

Good luck with that. IMO GW2 will set new standards for what a horrible community can be.

New standards for YOU maybe. Have you played many crappy chinese P2W games and witnessed those communities?

If you have then you expectation of GW2 is trollish as in all the BWE's people have been far better than in those games and if you havnt, then go wake to a world where everything you have witnessed is not actaully everything.

If you continue to make sweeping statements like you know what everyone everywhere thinks about a certain topic then I am going to shout at you.
    It easy to type 'I think this is the worst game ever'
    Rather than the 'This is the worst game ever'

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

Don't link required-for-advancement rewards to multiple cyclic completions (a.k.a. "grind" for "badges")

Without Cause A), there is very little of Effect B) "gogogogoGOGO!"

Good advice for the entire industry, really.  Let the player decide what he wants to do today, for fun, rather than a list of daily chores he must complete.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

"Speedrun LFM - perfect gear and stats required -  B fast or B kicked"

I don't think it is avoidable.  It's like eSport PVE.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • ThemePorkThemePork Member Posts: 312
    Originally posted by Macecard

New standards for YOU maybe. Have you played many crappy chinese P2W games and witnessed those communities?

If you have then you expectation of GW2 is trollish as in all the BWE's people have been far better than in those games and if you havnt, then go wake to a world where everything you have witnessed is not actaully everything.

Sorry I forgot it was politically incorrect to say anything negative about GW2. A momentary lapse of reason, it won't happen again.

• MacecardMacecard Member UncommonPosts: 142

Sorry I forgot it was politically incorrect to say anything negative about GW2. A momentary lapse of reason, it won't happen again.

No you forgot that braod sweeping statements of fact like; free to play = bad commuity contribute nothing to discussion on forums and serve to increase troll activity, if you take such offence to being called out for your bad, info hungry post then you are part of the problem.

If you continue to make sweeping statements like you know what everyone everywhere thinks about a certain topic then I am going to shout at you.
    It easy to type 'I think this is the worst game ever'
    Rather than the 'This is the worst game ever'

• IstrebiteIIstrebiteI Member Posts: 266

You know, before i played games kinda like GOGOGO crowd. I was patient and wouldnt rage if people'd suck in PVE (at least publicly, i'd laugh at them sitting in my chair of course) but i'd generally prefer for people to do conent faster and in efficient way. I'd generally skip through cutscenes and pay little attention to the world since mostly games (ilke WoW) were about endgame and so progress of levels was mostly just a "work towards the cap". I'd read guides how to quest effectively for big XP/hour.

GW2 is the game that is going to change all that. I'm going to play this game slowly, exploring the map by myself (not reading some guide how to complete it fast and easy), i'm going to enjoy jump traps and exploring caves, i'm going to take it slow. If i need to join a group that demands i'd be quick, i'd do it and be quick, but generally, i'll play at my own pace and ignore any incentitive to "skip to max level".

I'd even avoid playing with my pro friend since he would most likely play it GOGOGO style. Dont want him to drag me further faster than i want it.

To play Guid Wars 2 like you play WoW or other similar "endgame at max level" mmorpgs is to commit a crime. You are steaing from youself countless hours of peasure you could have. Its like a small suicide. If people wanna comit that - let them do it.

Good point of GW2 is noone can FORCE you to GOGOGO. There is no dungeon finder where you get kicked for not GOGOGOing like everybody wants. There is no endgame gear farming runs that you have to join to be competitive in PVE - you can ignore those douches and group with people who are like you. Noone can force you to GOGOGO in public quests or dynamic events or hearts. Noone can force you to GOGOGO in WvWvW.

• IstavaanIstavaan Member Posts: 1,350
    Hopefully they will go back to wow when mop launches.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,507

I've largely given up grouping and doing dungeons because of this attitude, because, well, I'm slow.  I find myself always falling behind everyone because I'm just not in that much of a hurry to get done. (I actually like to look around, or clear everything in the dungeon, and not rush through at the optimal speed).

These days, unless I'm in a group with guildmates, I don't bother.

If GW2 somehow reduces that sort of rushing I might actually return to the dungeon running realms once again.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• k-damagek-damage Member CommonPosts: 738

@Lord.Bacchus : Good point in the OP ! Actually, the way GW2's combat pace is made, and how pro-active the skills are, it will kind of force "slow people" to speed up anyway. So from the start, there won't be as many "Go Go Go !" people as in other games where you can just slack and get carried by your group. There will be some, for sure, but the equilibrium could be smoother with GW2.

Well a good guess would be to look at TERA (same pro-active combat design) : were there a lot of GOGOGO people ?

***** Before hitting that reply button, please READ the WHOLE thread you're about to post in *****

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748
    They'll rush their way to Orr, soil themselves, then sit down in Divinity's Reach and wait for the rest of us.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• PoufPouf Member Posts: 341

I don't get it, you mean that almost everyone on mmorpg.com hates to go fast and gogogo in a dungeon?

I'm actually surprised about a lot of people on those forums hates elitists and Go Go Go. I mean, even in GW2, you will be grinding dungeon at one time ( It will be full enjoyable and you can do something else if you want, i  know ) I'm just saying that I'm quite the opposite of almost everyone here. Why would you accept a dungeon queue or a dungeon party invite if you know that you want to go slow. I never minded exploring paths in dungeon or trying new strategy, but I hate people who randomly goes afk, or that needs 10 seconds before each pull for no reason.

Well, I guess I'm the GO GO GO type then, and I hope that I will meet some people that loves quick runs too.

• FelixMajorFelixMajor Member RarePosts: 865
    Hmmm, I don't see this happening in GW2.  Those people will always exist though, they are the same people that die in a car crash because they couldn't stop for that yellow light.

Originally posted by Arskaaa
    "when players learned tacticks in dungeon/raids, its bread".

• k-damagek-damage Member CommonPosts: 738
    Originally posted by Pouf

Well, I guess I'm the GO GO GO type then, and I hope that I will meet some people that loves quick runs too.

You will for sure, as GW2 does also attract hardcore PVPers, which are the craddle of GOGOGOers ;)

***** Before hitting that reply button, please READ the WHOLE thread you're about to post in *****

• vmopedvmoped Member Posts: 1,708
    Originally posted by Kyleran

I've largely given up grouping and doing dungeons because of this attitude, because, well, I'm slow.  I find myself always falling behind everyone because I'm just not in that much of a hurry to get done. (I actually like to look around, or clear everything in the dungeon, and not rush through at the optimal speed).

These days, unless I'm in a group with guildmates, I don't bother.

If GW2 somehow reduces that sort of rushing I might actually return to the dungeon running realms once again.

Mother help me, but I actually agree with you Kyleran. ;)

This has happened to me in nearly every mmo I have played, and it was much more noticeable to me after WoW introduced dungeon finder.  It happens in DDO, WoW, War, Tor, TSW, Tera, Aion, etc. now.  It really ruins your first time thru.  I can't tell you how many groups booted me in Tor for watching the cutscenes even after I told them in advance it was my first time and/or I wantedto watch them.  This was mainly on RP servers as well.  Oh well, here is hoping for the future!

Cheers!

MMO Vet since AOL Neverwinter Nights circa 1992. My MMO beat up your MMO. =S

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

Poor you, getting sanctimonious for posting something without a lick of evidence to support it and insulting an entire community in the process.  You're not insulting the game, you're insulting its players, you deserve whatever you get.

• StinkFootStinkFoot Member Posts: 25

I don't play games to burn through them. I play games to enjoy them and explore every nook and cranny available. The game isn't disappearing anytime soon so there's no point in gobbling through the content and then being left in the bored-zone once the game as been "conqured".