Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Funcom is a joke. Never play this game.

Comments

• Odinthedark1Odinthedark1 Member Posts: 330

Funcom is a slimy company, they know they can get away with stuff like that...most other games end your sub once the game account is frozen or billing is deleted...but as soon as you enter your info for funcom they instantly resub you...i quit AoC for 6 months and came back for a week, i didnt know i would still be "subbed' if i didnt even have viable billing, but low and behold i typed in my new card for a $3 cosmetic item and sub started up again without consent and by the time i found out it was too late... the OP may have trolled a bit with the game but the company is actually slimy and best to stay away unless you are confident your billing is foolproof.

Edit: And no im not the same person as the OP lol i had the same problem.

Edit 2: nvm that was directed at someone else but either way, ill admit it is user error but at the same time as i said the account sub should end when it first becomes frozen no other company does it this way and it seems they get alot of people like this.

• saxifrsaxifr Member UncommonPosts: 381
    Originally posted by erictlewis

Sad thing is we had this very topic in this very forum twice last week, and the same answers have been given out.  All it is is somebody is angry that the got charged, but we should put the blame where it is

user comprehension, and user error.

This is not funcoms fault,  somebody just either does not understand how to cancel a recurring billing from paypal or they don't want to understand.

One more time, in english: I do not have a recurring billing from paypal, and in the folder I have for all of my paypal emails, there is not one stating that I was being set up for recurring billing.

I do have the email stating I was billed for the 49.99. No recurring billing email.

Say it with me again, kids, "No recurring billing" email.

Funcom GM's acknowledged repeatedly that they charged me (with what payment info, I don't know because I deleted it), and they would not be giving my money back.

RELAX!@!! BREATHE!!!

• ShozerShozer Member Posts: 6
    Originally posted by saxifr

Sad thing is we had this very topic in this very forum twice last week, and the same answers have been given out.  All it is is somebody is angry that the got charged, but we should put the blame where it is

This is not funcoms fault,  somebody just either does not understand how to cancel a recurring billing from paypal or they don't want to understand.

One more time, in english: I do not have a recurring billing from paypal, and in the folder I have for all of my paypal emails, there is not one stating that I was being set up for recurring billing.

I do have the email stating I was billed for the 49.99. No recurring billing email.

Funcom GM's acknowledged repeatedly that they charged me (with what payment info, I don't know because I deleted it), and they would not be giving my money back.

Even if all of this wasn't of your own fault, your blame is being wrongly directed. If your payments were being processed by Paypal, you're issue is with them. All Funcom does is request the funds from them. It's up to Paypal to ultimately release them.

Originally posted by Shozer

Even if all of this wasn't of your own fault, your blame is being wrongly directed. If your payments were being processed by Paypal, you're issue is with them. All Funcom does is request the funds from them. It's up to Paypal to ultimately release them.

Why doesn't Funcom know this?

RELAX!@!! BREATHE!!!

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022

This is the thread from the other day

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/359297/page/3

Dont you think your beeting a dead horse atm.

This is the thread from the other day

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/359297/page/3

Dont you think your beeting a dead horse atm.

No, I think I'm responding to people who keep saying I'm either too stupid to use billing software or I'm a sock puppet.

RELAX!@!! BREATHE!!!

• majimaji Member UncommonPosts: 2,091
    I had the same happen with Funcom with AOC, before AOC went free to play. Got a mail about returning for free, without any cost, for a week or so. Did that, played it, decided not to sub again. Checked my bills later, and saw that they had withdrawn the subscription amount. O_O

Let's play Fallen Earth (blind, 300 episodes)

Let's play Guild Wars 2 (blind, 45 episodes)

• OziiusOziius Member UncommonPosts: 1,406

Something's not stirring the kool-aid here... You don't just buy an mmo and start playing.. You ALWAYS have to set up a payment option. If you did tat through PayPal, based on the terms from funcoms billing, it would automatically enter you into a reoccurring billing cycle. You won't get an email, it's just a screen where you click "ok" and agree to it. 

Originally posted by Praetalus

Something's not stirring the kool-aid here... You don't just buy an mmo and start playing.. You ALWAYS have to set up a payment option. If you did tat through PayPal, based on the terms from funcoms billing, it would automatically enter you into a reoccurring billing cycle. You won't get an email, it's just a screen where you click "ok" and agree to it. 

Bottom line, they already had my credit card info. I paid the 49.99 with paypal. I do not recall seeing anything that says "oh you're going to be billed 14.99 in perpetuity". I did everything I could possibly think of to do to make sure my account had no ongoing sub, including checking paypal options and pre-approved payments (none), and then deleting all my payment options from funcom's website. I did not receive an email, but numerous people in this thread and the other thread state they DID receive an email from paypal.

I agree completely that "Something's not stirring the kool-aid here", which is why I'm so angry about the surprise 14.99 charge and the complete and utter failure of Funcom customer service to acknowledge the problem and show any kind of empathy or take any steps whatsoever to say anything but "No".

RELAX!@!! BREATHE!!!

• LakytusLakytus Member Posts: 59
    To be fair, deleting payment info isn't an obvious way to cancel a subscription to anything.  You should actually have to press a button that says "Cancel" and the site should acknowledge somehow and say that your subscription is cancelled.  However, most replies have stated there is a Cancel option as well.
    Originally posted by Lakytus
    To be fair, deleting payment info isn't an obvious way to cancel a subscription to anything.  You should actually have to press a button that says "Cancel" and the site should acknowledge somehow and say that your subscription is cancelled.  However, most replies have stated there is a Cancel option as well.

There was no cancel option on Funcom's web page. At least, not in my case. I agree, if they were going to charge me another 14.99, they should have provided me the option to cancel and prevent that charge. If they had provided me this option, I never would have fallen into their customer service meat grinder and I wouldn't be so incensed with them.

RELAX!@!! BREATHE!!!

• BeackerBeacker Member UncommonPosts: 440

I could have told you this after how bad AoC was. Great game and concept crappy devs. I am beginning to think Funcom is a cash grab company and doesn't really care about its players. I tried the secret world in beta and did not care for it. Great concept but Funcom was a huge let down. They just can't put out a superior product. You would think after how bad AoC was with bugs and to this day still is they would have made sure to get TSW right, Content, bugs you name it.

• SixfeetunderSixfeetunder Member UncommonPosts: 180
    Originally posted by Beacker

I could have told you this after how bad AoC was. Great game and concept crappy devs. I am beginning to think Funcom is a cash grab company and doesn't really care about its players. I tried the secret world in beta and did not care for it. Great concept but Funcom was a huge let down. They just can't put out a superior product. You would think after how bad AoC was with bugs and to this day still is they would have made sure to get TSW right, Content, bugs you name it.

Same problem with every mmo and compagny since few years....now i play only the free month and maybe some f2p

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by Beacker

Quote by Becker in response to GW2 not being ready for launch GW2.

"OP no MMO is ever truely finished. It is how they add the needed content after the game comes out that matters."

Why don't you hold GW2 to the same standard?

So much wrong with you post. I think people can see beyond this type of stuff now.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • SaydienSaydien Member Posts: 266

Really not a Funcom fan but what I dislike even more are people that (most likely) out of an own mistake get charged, issue refunds of their credit card or Paypal payment and then go into berserk mode if the other party involved gets pissed. The account pages of Funcom were pretty bad back when they changed their system but by now they really do work.

Hopefully the OP will just settle for his free game and game time and spare us with future "The game is pretty good but they caused me owie so don't play their game" threads.

• deathstrike6deathstrike6 Member UncommonPosts: 10
    I Lol'ed at this topic, honestly its ur fault, u gotta admit it, whenever u sign up for memebership for any whatsoever reason and u dont like it cancel it like a day before it auto renew, and now u r blaming this for paypal and FUncom?? seriously? it's look like u already set up your sub through paypal so yes whenever ur sub renew , they will charge through ur account paypal. And that is why they block ur Paypal account , bc its not system glitch or anything. FYI  CHat support is NOTt *USELESS* if ur english is not good then use chat support , much better than email, it took me an hour to solve my problem through chat support rather than waiting for couple days. 
    Originally posted by deathstrike6
    I Lol'ed at this topic, honestly its ur fault, u gotta admit it, whenever u sign up for memebership for any whatsoever reason and u dont like it cancel it like a day before it auto renew, and now u r blaming this for paypal and FUncom?? seriously? it's look like u already set up your sub through paypal so yes whenever ur sub renew , they will charge through ur account paypal. And that is why they block ur Paypal account , bc its not system glitch or anything. FYI  CHat support is NOTt *USELESS* if ur english is not good then use chat support , much better than email, it took me an hour to solve my problem through chat support rather than waiting for couple days. 

I made sure my account was cancelled according to everything I could see in their website  and no paypal recurring stuff WAAAAAY before the one month update. Repeatedly. And even if it was the day before auto-renew, they should have honored it. Why I got charged under those circumstances is not my problem to figure out.

I'd  say my command of engrish is just fine.

RELAX!@!! BREATHE!!!

Originally posted by bubaluba
    Originally posted by deathstrike6

I made sure my account was cancelled according to everything I could see in their website  and no paypal recurring stuff WAAAAAY before the one month update. Repeatedly. And even if it was the day before auto-renew, they should have honored it. Why I got charged under those circumstances is not my problem to figure out.

I'd  say my command of engrish is just fine.

[mod edit]

There was no cancel option when I logged into their website. NOOOONNNEEEE. This is 100% of why I have a problem for being billed the extra 14.99.

RELAX!@!! BREATHE!!!

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

Funcom did not force anyone to subscribe, because i didn´t have to give my credit card number when i created the account.

I am going to check my bills later on to see if they charged my credit card, which would mean they abused my Credit Card that i used to buy the game, which is highly illegal.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• 7star7star Member Posts: 405
    Originally posted by Knuckledust

LFG is also based on your gear score, so fellow WoW players would feel like home.

I am concerned about this and it's not my gaming style. However, I'm enjoying the leveling and story so far. If I find the dungeon grind is no fun, I will quit as I have other options. I did notice this in general chat. It was just like WoW.

I'm glad you had a happy ending with your gf. :)

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Originally posted by bubaluba
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

Funcom did not force anyone to subscribe, because i didn´t have to give my credit card number when i created the account.

I am going to check my bills later on to see if they charged my credit card, which would mean they abused my Credit Card that i used to buy the game, which is highly illegal.

[mod edit]

Well, actually they did, my account is still active , but i never signed up for a subscription, they acused my credit card details that i used to buy the digital version of the game with.

Now i can survive loosing $15, but i will tell them that they need to refund my money, Or i will refund both the subscription, and after i have had a perma ban, i will refund the full game.

I´ll tell you guys how this ends, but first i am off to work now.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• NailzzzNailzzz Member UncommonPosts: 515
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

I would be careful with them on this. I tried to cancel my prepurchase of the game before it went live. They sent me an email saying it was canceled and i was still charged and never rec'd a credit back on my card. I tried to resolve it with them but it took them over a week to get back to me and by that time i had already attempted to initiate a chargeback. Unfortunatly despite my evidence (email and such) my card company sided with funcom. I will no longer be doing any furthur business with the card issuer but funcom still got to keep my money.

• kilunkilun Member UncommonPosts: 829

Paypal handles subs themselves.  Usually with anything requiring a sub model and you use Paypal you have to manually cancel through paypal.  Everything I've subbed through paypal has been this way. 

Now it maybe their policy to not refund paypal.  I've had Funcom refund a year sub to Age of Conan after I had six months of timecards ran out and I forgot(Yes my mistake) and spoke to the person letting them know I didn't intend to and forget I had the subscription set from after the timecards.(Had one was going to sub for a year when it expired, but then got two more and forgot about it).  They looked at my account, noticed I didn't log in for a while and said no problem, but I made my mind up I wasn't going to be peeved at them if they said sorry no can do, as it was my error.  Lesson learned. (If you didn't see what I did, I took responsibility.  People are much more akin to fixing a customers error than when people go around blaming the company, as that leaves a bad taste in everyones mouth especially if it was your error.  If indeed it is the companies error, you talk to higher up people immediately.)

Easiest way is to cancel subscription each time you signup.  Once the payment cleared, removed the card and cancel any sub.  If people would follow this they would never be charged(Well short of a company billing error such as how Warhammer Online did last year billing people..) without their knowledge and not have to deal with customer service for such things and leave a chance on not getting the outcome you like.   

@Lord anytime I've bought a digital edition I've always had to signup for a sub to my knowledge with that said CC I used, and normally it says something about autosignup for the monthly and you can change it to something else.

• DrunkWolfDrunkWolf Member RarePosts: 1,701
    Funcom is famous for this, I had many problems with them chargeing me for AoC months after i had stopped playing the game.
  • RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591

Everyone saying that he agreed to an occuring payment when he gave his PayPal info, I'm sorry to say, but that is still bull crap considering he was charged before his one month was even over. They can only charge you when your free month is done. That's how it works for games and subscriptions.

Also Funcom has had a repeated history of charging people's credit cards and PayPals without players even subscribing to any services and they've also charged people for extra months that they never signed up for.

Just use Google. I wouldn't trust Funcom with my credit card information ever!

Smile