Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Most important part of mmo's (with pole)

eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317

Using only one word, what do you think is the most important part of an mmo?

oh and here's your pole.

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

Comments

• SixfeetunderSixfeetunder Member UncommonPosts: 180
    1-story 2-gameplay 3-end game 4-pvp
  • hockeyplayrhockeyplayr Member UncommonPosts: 604
    immersion
  • eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317

community

(and another pole)

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• mudkipz77mudkipz77 Member Posts: 5
    Originally posted by hockeyplayr
    immersion

this.

being able to get completely lost in a game.

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

Fun
    (That really subjective term thrown around a lot :) )

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• BorickBorick Member Posts: 38

Players.  Lots and lots of players empowered with ownership of their virtual world.  An MMO game that does not hook the players with a feeling of ownership will not achieve the investment required to sustain it as a viable world.

If I had to pick the 'most important' element in empowering the players, I'd have to say that it begins and ends with game mechanics.  Story, art and competitive play can make or break a game, but nothing will kill a game faster than poor gameplay mechanics and an insufficient investment in scripting (Whether through player-driven mods or in-house modding).

• maplestonemaplestone Member UncommonPosts: 3,099
    world.
  • AlcuinAlcuin Member UncommonPosts: 331

Verisimilitude

• jusomdudejusomdude Member RarePosts: 2,706
    Depth
  • VirgoThreeVirgoThree Member UncommonPosts: 1,198

Causality

and no I'm not a sandboxer :)

• lqw6843128lqw6843128 Member UncommonPosts: 40
    Fun
  • JaggaSpikesJaggaSpikes Member UncommonPosts: 430
    community
  • mmoguy43mmoguy43 Member UncommonPosts: 2,770
    multiplayer
  • MithrandolirMithrandolir Member UncommonPosts: 1,701
    Ambiance
  • ZooceZooce Member Posts: 586
    Adventure
  • eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317

lots of great replies!

• blognorgblognorg Member UncommonPosts: 643

Combat

Here's why. Combat is what most people do most of the time. It is the crux of the multiplayer, progression, and often enough the story.

• 7star7star Member Posts: 405
    Originally posted by lqw6843128
    Fun

This.

Lots of great answers. They are all aspects of this. Community is built on this. People will come to and stay with a game as long as it's fun.

If I have to be more specific, I would agree with another person who said depth.  I like there to be lots of things to do, lots of things to learn, and maybe so many that I can only master a few of them.  I love to have a world, too. Exploration and adventure are part of that. So it's hard to break it down into one word, but fun -- though it is general -- sums it up best to me.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

FUN .. obviously.

• PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784

Solo

:-)

• QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230
    Gameplay. Its a game afterall.

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

• tupodawg999tupodawg999 Member UncommonPosts: 724
    worldiness
  • jeremyjodesjeremyjodes Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 679

Weed