Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Funcom is a joke. Never play this game.

Hello guys,

I signed up on this site just to let others know about the absurdity that happened to me. 

I started playin TSW on the 3 day headstart (preordered the game), and until 02.08 I had roughly 16 days of played time, meaning I dedicated alot of time to this game. Regardless, my financial situation is bad and I was not going to sub the game, and was just waiting for the 1 month free time to expire. They sent me an email on 02.08 reminding me to manually renew the game subscription for another month - I use Paypal. I thought to myself: I wish I could, nice little title etc, but no can do right now.

4 hours later, 15 EUR were billed on my Paypal account to Funcom WITHOUT my authorization whatsoever. They just took my data and BILLED me. I did not signed up for any form of automatic subscription or payment method, I didn't need to because I am an old AoC player (who has been disappointed with FC before, but this is much more aggravating).

I proceeded to contact FC via email, since their live chat is worthless, and was answered I could not get a refund because it was a Paypal transaction. I then proceeded to file a Paypal dispute, which obviously was solved in my favour. Result: I got my 15 EUR back - which I never inteded to give FC in the first place - AND HAD MY ACCOUNT BANNED. Yeah, Funcom permanently banned my account because I filed the Paypal claim.

Now I will not be able to play TSW unless I give them another 50 EUR which is obviously never going to happen. I then proceeded to file another Paypal dispute describing this situation and got my 50 EUR back, since I cannot use the product I paid for due to an arbitrary and unjustified decision of the seller.

This is my short story to you, as cool as the game might look, sooner or later it will become just another endless gear treadmill - literally. Endgame content resumes in 5 Dungeons you grind every 16h to get a currency named Bullion, which you use to buy Vendor gear and upgrade them from tier 10 to 10.4. This is endgame. The skill wheel is a good way to make you think you have possibilities, but in fact you are pigeonholed to DPS, healer or Tank role and there is very few skills that work for said roles. LFG is also based on your gear score, so fellow WoW players would feel like home.

Despite of this being just another generic game, I liked it and was intending to play it in the future, but looking from my perspective now, I am kinda thankful to Funcom for their incompetence which led me to receive my money back and take my girl to a fine dinner tonight, which ended up in sweet love.

Stay away from Funcom and don't be fooled by their marketing of this game. They are incompetent and this game is crap.

Best regards,

Knuckle

Comments

• SixfeetunderSixfeetunder Member UncommonPosts: 180
    strange story...send a mail again...but you need cancel sub before the end of your free month or last sub ... maybe one day...because you make a billing account when you start to playing ... same for every mmo i think...
  • ShozerShozer Member Posts: 6

I'm not trying to rag or offend you but it sounds like the series of events were of your own doing. As the previous replier stated, cancelling a subscription prior to the end date is your responsibility. Everyone agrees to those terms upon giving your billing information. Now, that doesn't completely explain everything you described but doing so would have ceased this "domino effect" from taking place.

Honestly, Funcom may have done you a favor. If you're having financial issues, the last thing you should be alotting money to is a video game. Concentrate on the priorities, friend.

• Odinthedark1Odinthedark1 Member Posts: 330
    The same thing happened to me when i cancelled my sub for AoC a long time ago. I came back to it a couple weeks ago and after i entered in my info to buy a cash shop item for like $3 they charged me $36 for a 3 month sub which i never signed up for...not only that i wasnt as lucky cause i noticed it too late and didnt have a chance to get to the bank in time to cancel the charge....so im down $40 for the next 2 weeks while i wait for my next income...funcom is the reason i refuse to give TSW a second look...the worst part is i only planned on playing AoC for like a week but im just scared to play it now, even after erasing my info off their site and re-cancelling i dont wanna take any chances if theyre this fishy they might still have my info some how...
  • saxifrsaxifr Member UncommonPosts: 381
    Originally posted by Sixfeetunder
    strange story...send a mail again...but you need cancel sub before the end of your free month or last sub ... maybe one day...because you make a billing account when you start to playing ... same for every mmo i think...

Their website had no option for me to cancel. The only thing account-related was "upgrade to premium membership".

RELAX!@!! BREATHE!!!

Originally posted by saxifr

Their website had no option for me to cancel. The only thing account-related was "upgrade to premium membership".

eee... they are cancel option...i had play Age of conan and last week i have canceled my TsW sub

for sur...delete your billiing account

Yup. I'm looking at the cancelation button right now. It wasn't hidden either. Those who couldn't find it just didn't look hard enough and if you intended to cancel your account and just decided to quit searching and hope you weren't going to be charged... well... you had what was coming to you.

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by Knuckledust
    Hello guys,

I signed up on this site just to let others know about the absurdity that happened to me. 

I started playin TSW on the 3 day headstart (preordered the game), and until 02.08 I had roughly 16 days of played time, meaning I dedicated alot of time to this game. Regardless, my financial situation is bad and I was not going to sub the game and was just waiting for the 1 month free time to expire

That's your first mistake, thinking your buying a game.. its a service with a recurring fee.

They sent me an email on 02.08 reminding me to manually renew the game subscription for another month - I use Paypal. I thought to myself: I wish I could, nice little title etc, but no can do right now.
    Noted.

4 hours later, 15 EUR were billed on my Paypal account to Funcom WITHOUT my authorization whatsoever. They just took my data and BILLED me. I did not signed up for any form of automatic subscription or payment method, I didn't need to because I am an old AoC player (who has been disappointed with FC before, but this is much more aggravating).
    If you brought a subscription mmorpg then you admittedly signed up to to reoccurring payment system...Regardless, If funcom said previously that they wouldnt bill you then it must of been an accounting error and can be corrected if you are patient.

I proceeded to contact FC via email, since their live chat is worthless,
    I have always found it to be quite good as long as you ask the right questions and not not vent at the CR as if it was there individual fault.

and was answered I could not get a refund because it was a Paypal transaction.
    Talk to paypal they might get your money back if they deem it legit.

I then proceeded to file a Paypal dispute, which obviously was solved in my favour. Result: I got my 15 EUR back - which I never inteded to give FC in the first place - AND HAD MY ACCOUNT BANNED. Yeah, Funcom permanently banned my account because I filed the Paypal claim.
    This is correct and its the proper procedure for most business. Welcome to the real world.

Now I will not be able to play TSW unless I give them another 50 EUR which is obviously never going to happen. I then proceeded to file another Paypal dispute describing this situation and got my 50 EUR back, since I cannot use the product I paid for due to an arbitrary and unjustified decision of the seller.
    Great. so now if you want to play your fully funded, all is well in the land of nod.

This is my short story to you, as cool as the game might look, sooner or later it will become just another endless gear treadmill - literally. Endgame content resumes in 5 Dungeons you grind every 16h to get a currency named Bullion, which you use to buy Vendor gear and upgrade them from tier 10 to 10.4. This is endgame. The skill wheel is a good way to make you think you have possibilities, but in fact you are pigeonholed to DPS, healer or Tank role and there is very few skills that work for said roles. LFG is also based on your gear score, so fellow WoW players would feel like home.
    So there are some underlying problems that your disgruntled with..Makes me wonder how you conducted yourself during your proceedings with customer support.

Despite of this being just another generic game, I liked it and was intending to play it in the future,
    Thats not what you said in your first statement.

Stay away from Funcom and don't be fooled by their marketing of this game. They are incompetent and this game is crap.
    Yet you quote " Liked the game and was intending to play it in the future".

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022

I hate to say this but when you entered your paypal you gave them permission and you got an email from paypal stating the fact you signed up for a recurring plan.

It is up to you to go to your papal account and delete the subscription from them, otherwise this will happen again.

this is not new your the 4th person in the past week to create this very same topic. You have to cancel the sub at the paypal site.

You should have gotten an email saying you agreed to the billing the minute you entered your paypal info.  it is there in the email you got from paypal the second you did it.  So I am calling user error in failing to read what you signed up for.

here is the email that paypal sent me after I Signed up with my account it is very precise. Check your email folder because this is what I got the second I entered my paypal account info. 

Hello IIIIIIIIIs,

You've signed up for preapproved payments plan with Funcom SARL .

To view the details, log in on the PayPal homepage, go to your Profile, and click Preapproved Payments. Then click Funcom SARL:PA-*************.

Thanks,
    PayPal

Please do not reply to this email. This mailbox is not monitored and you will not receive a response. For assistance, log in to your PayPal account and click the Help link in the top right corner of any PayPal page.

To receive email notifications in plain text instead of HTML, 

PayPal Email ID PP1506image

Originally posted by erictlewis

I hate to say this but when you entered your paypal you gave them permission and you got an email from paypal stating the fact you signed up for a recurring plan.

It is up to you to go to your papal account and delete the subscription from them, otherwise this will happen again.

this is not new your the 4th person in the past week to create this very same topic. You have to cancel the sub at the paypal site.

You should have gotten an email saying you agreed to the billing the minute you entered your paypal info.  it is there in the email you got from paypal the second you did it.  So I am calling user error in failing to read what you signed up for.

here is the email that paypal sent me after I Signed up with my account it is very precise. Check your email folder because this is what I got the second I entered my paypal account info. 

Hello IIIIIIIIIs,

To view the details, log in on the PayPal homepage, go to your Profile, and click Preapproved Payments. Then click Funcom SARL:PA-*************.

Thanks,
    PayPal

Please do not reply to this email. This mailbox is not monitored and you will not receive a response. For assistance, log in to your PayPal account and click the Help link in the top right corner of any PayPal page.

I never received any such email, and every single time I logged into their website I made sure my payment info was deleted and there was no option to cancel the game. Instead it said "upgrade to premium membership".

RELAX!@!! BREATHE!!!

Log into the account page> On the left hand menu "Account" > "Manage Payment Options" > "Delete this payment option"

Easy. [mod edit]

Originally posted by erictlewis I hate to say this but when you entered your paypal you gave them permission and you got an email from paypal stating the fact you signed up for a recurring plan. It is up to you to go to your papal account and delete the subscription from them, otherwise this will happen again. this is not new your the 4th person in the past week to create this very same topic. You have to cancel the sub at the paypal site. You should have gotten an email saying you agreed to the billing the minute you entered your paypal info.  it is there in the email you got from paypal the second you did it.  So I am calling user error in failing to read what you signed up for. here is the email that paypal sent me after I Signed up with my account it is very precise. Check your email folder because this is what I got the second I entered my paypal account info.    Hello IIIIIIIIIs, You've signed up for preapproved payments plan with Funcom SARL . To view the details, log in on the PayPal homepage, go to your Profile, and click Preapproved Payments. Then click Funcom SARL:PA-*************. Thanks, PayPal Please do not reply to this email. This mailbox is not monitored and you will not receive a response. For assistance, log in to your PayPal account and click the Help link in the top right corner of any PayPal page. To receive email notifications in plain text instead of HTML,  PayPal Email ID PP1506
    I never received any such email, and every single time I logged into their website I made sure my payment info was deleted and there was no option to cancel the game. Instead it said "upgrade to premium membership".

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

As shown, there are two ways to do it. What's the excuse now?
    Originally posted by Shozer

Log into the account page> On the left hand menu "Account" > "Manage Payment Options" > "Delete this payment option"

Easy. 

[mod edit]

Did that with the payment options and then went back to verify there were no payment options listed. There was never any "Cancel your account" option like in the screenshots above. And Funcom still billed me and acknowledged that they had billed me.

So I did everything right, and still got charged. Don't get why that's so hard for people to understand.

RELAX!@!! BREATHE!!!

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965
    I see also funcom side. They actually cant refund paypal, and payment dispute is always ban of account. I guess that once the mistake sub payment was made, there was no turning back.

Originally posted by lavosslayer
    I smell a Troll...this thread is like so many other threads on this site, where the person makes some crazy claim in order to rile up the other trolls to start mudslinging at a game for whatever arbitrary reasons they can come up with...I wish they got tired of doing that sooner...I know I'm tired of reading one thread after another of this crap...

Same thing happened when swtor came out....its nothing new.

Hello IIIIIIIIIs,

Thanks,
    PayPal

I already explained that you have to go to the paypal account and delete that payment method, nothing you do at funcom is going to work until you delete the paypal side.  The reason you see upgrade only is you already cleared for month to month.

Oh and another thing paypal send you an email for every transaction, so something dint sound right, you should have gotten an email stating payment had been made to funcom for x dollar amount.  I been using paypal for 8 years and I have an email folder that has every transaction I ever made since day one.  So something is wrong, or your emails are going to your junk folder.

It is not hard to understand  Other folks have posted pictures, and told you were to look.  I have to wonder if your the same fellow from last week who was moaning about this very topic.

Anyway if you do a charge-back your done with funcom, it is there policy to perma ban you for that.

I smell a Troll...this thread is like so many other threads on this site, where the person makes some crazy claim in order to rile up the other trolls to start mudslinging at a game for whatever arbitrary reasons they can come up with...I wish they got tired of doing that sooner...I know I'm tired of reading one thread after another of this crap...

Sorry you feel that way. My experience is genuine and awful. I wish I had not been stolen from by Funcom and I wish I had not had to go through this.

RELAX!@!! BREATHE!!!

• 0over00over0 Member UncommonPosts: 488
    for sur...delete your billiing account

That's what I always do--delete all billing information, as well. And if they insist you have some numbers in there, then make some up.

Apply lemon juice and candle flame here to reveal secret message.

I agree. I typically won't participate in a discussion like this because of those same reasons but someone may actually learn how to cancel their subscription by reading this post and save us all from another rant thread from developing.

• mf16mf16 Member UncommonPosts: 65
    I'm lost is this 2 different people with the same problem ore did the op log onto his main acct on accident to respond? I seriously mean no offense but it looks to me that the op started with the thread and now someone else entirely is responding about the problem.... i might not be reading right as i am tired just asking.

Hello IIIIIIIIIs,

Thanks,
    PayPal

I already explained that you have to go to the paypal account and delete that payment method, nothing you do at funcom is going to work until you delete the paypal side.  The reason you see upgrade only is you already cleared for month to month.

Oh and another thing paypal send you an email for every transaction, so something dint sound right, you should have gotten an email stating payment had been made to funcom for x dollar amount.  I been using paypal for 8 years and I have an email folder that has every transaction I ever made since day one.  So something is wrong, or your emails are going to your junk folder.

It is not hard to understand  Other folks have posted pictures, and told you were to look.  I have to wonder if your the same fellow from last week who was moaning about this very topic.

Anyway if you do a charge-back your done with funcom, it is there policy to perma ban you for that.

Yuh, thanks for that, the option was not in there.

And...I'm done with Funcom. Permanently. Could care less what they think about me.

RELAX!@!! BREATHE!!!

Sad thing is we had this very topic in this very forum twice last week, and the same answers have been given out.  All it is is somebody is angry that the got charged, but we should put the blame where it is

user comprehension, and user error.

This is not funcoms fault,  somebody just either does not understand how to cancel a recurring billing from paypal or they don't want to understand.

• Leviathon77Leviathon77 Member UncommonPosts: 42

I give little credit to the OP on this one. Any MMO I have ever subscribed to had to have an account created. They obviously had his billing info if they billed him and he willingly gave that up to FunCom. He violated the EULA and like most of those in this age of entitlement, he doesn't feel he should be liable for his own mistake and cried to PayPal. I would ban the acocunt too.

But, like in most of these posts, the OP posts and vanishes like a ninja while we are left to debate his mistake.

Originally posted by mf16
    I'm lost is this 2 different people with the same problem ore did the op log onto his main acct on accident to respond? I seriously mean no offense but it looks to me that the op started with the thread and now someone else entirely is responding about the problem.... i might not be reading right as i am tired just asking.

I have no idea who the OP is. I only have one account on this or any other forums.

Read back through the AOC forums, I wouldn't at all be surprised if you see some sketchy crap about Funcom's billing practices.

RELAX!@!! BREATHE!!!