Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Less than a month to release - any word on the extended experience?

Mors-SubitaMors-Subita Member UncommonPosts: 517

Googling it gives me a bunch of old stuff. It seems to have just tapered off and vanished. Is there any official word on what happened to it?

Comments

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Six months and 60 bucks later. Thats my guess.

• heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993
    Originally posted by Mors-Subita

Googling it gives me a bunch of old stuff. It seems to have just tapered off and vanished. Is there any official word on what happened to it?

You mean the smart phone app? Someone asked about it on the official forums during the last BWE. The dev response was something like "We have no comments about it at this time."

Which can mean that they are still working on it or it can mean that the project was put on the backburner or even scrapped altogether.

• OldManFunkOldManFunk Member Posts: 894

I don't expect it to be available until some time after launch. It'd just complicate the launch and could possibly cause problems if they tried to release it along side GW2.

• stragen001stragen001 Member UncommonPosts: 1,720

I suspect it will be in the first major update ~1-2 months after launch, once things have settled down and they have worked out the inevitable crazy launch bugs

Cluck Cluck, Gibber Gibber, My Old Mans A Mushroom

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

agree - probably hear more after launch

from 2010

http://www.arena.net/blog/gaming-outside-the-game-rick-ellis-talks-the-guild-wars-2-extended-experience

Answers to common questions

Q: When you say “mobile,” what exactly does that mean?

A: Initially, we will be offering applications that will run on iPhone, iPad, iPod, and Android smart phones.

Q: I don’t have a smart phone; will we have the same functionality on the web?

A: Yes, we will provide similar functionality for web users.

Q: Does this mean I can play Guild Wars 2 on an iPad?

A: Well, I’ll never say never. :) However, the iPad is certainly not the same caliber of gaming machine as a PC…yet. Having said that, there are certainly aspects of gameplay, not far from the experience on the PC, that a mobile user might be able to enjoy.

Q: All this social stuff sounds cool, but what if I don’t want my guild messaging me at work?

A: Rest assured, we will not be doing anything that allows personal or private information to be shared, and we will provide functionality that allows you to determine who can contact you and when.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

There where special developers only targetting the mobile devices.  I can´t imagine that totally failed.

There should be some things left to announce, i guess this might be one of them.  Cant imagine, they dont have any surprises left  before release, that would not be like the Arenanet i know.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• MikeJezZMikeJezZ Member UncommonPosts: 1,267

Rift had a little casual App which was some sort of Tombola, where you could earn ingame stuff.

however I doubt that GW2 on a iPad or iPhone would rock. I have both, and I never play on any of them - touch is not my thing for playing.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by stragen001

I suspect it will be in the first major update ~1-2 months after launch, once things have settled down and they have worked out the inevitable crazy launch bugs

Agreed, I think all of us here think getting the game out is the priority now, not the phone app.

• Caliburn101Caliburn101 Member Posts: 636

Bear in mind Microsoft are dragging their feet in Windows OS for phones too - so this further muddies the water.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

heres the most recent "word"

We Talk to ArenaNet About Professor Yakkington, Mobile App Development Progress, Lore and Structured PvP in Guild Wars 2

http://digitalgaudium.com/?p=10924

Q: I was pretty excited about the announcement of the Mobile and Web Apps, from the blog post it seemed like a much more complex project than your traditional MMO Companion App. Will the Apps be ready for launch day?

A: For launch we won’t have any GW2 apps available for use for players. However, soon after launch we’ll be launching a robust app development program in conjunction with our community that should allow for the development of some truly spectacular GW2 app and website development. We’ll discuss this more post ship, right now we’re focused on making the release of the game the greatest it can be.