Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Only me who think GW1s concept still is miles better than GW2?

Comments

• fiontarfiontar Member UncommonPosts: 3,682
    Originally posted by tralla
    Originally posted by Ezhae

Played GW1 for about 2 years, quitted for maybe 4 years ago so i dont know how gw1 looks now. Preordered GW2 and tested it for a few times and i have to say i doesnt match up at all to my gw1 experience. What i have experienced/red they have removed all the strongest parts of their first game, things like Competetive GvG, hardcore PvP (1v1,3v3,5v5,8v8,12v12,24v24 etc etc). Challenging PvE, wich i did not encouter at all in GW2 And the spectating mode.

And these dynamic events are all piss easy for some reason? And from my point of view the WvWvW system doesnt really qualify as "competetive PvP" unless you are a bigger group and will actually make a difference. The current WvWvW system is all about zerging, brainless zerging.

My point with this post is as the titel asks, only me who thinks this way?

If i am missing something and they actually have any of these features im missing, please do tell me so i can get my hopes up again. Sad to see such a hardcore GW1 turn in to a softcore GW2. 

You played what? 20-30 levels out of 80. 1/4th and a very early one as well. I don't recall GW1 being challenging in first levels either. Have you done dungeons? Have you done some more obscure events that aren't filled by players? There is challenging content out there, just don't expect it to be in starting areas. That's silly and won't ever happen in AAA MMO. 

As for PvP, they changed the multiple mode set up, which was a casue of huge mess and lots of trouble in GW1 into a more uniform Coqnuest mode based PvP. You have hardcore/competitive part in form of tournaments which are 5v5. Having more different modes doesn't really makea game more hardcore. If you look at all major competitve games on the e-sport scene they all only utilize single mode pretty much. WvWvW was never meant to be competitive - it's there for fun and massive battles. 

I think the thing is You expected something completely different even tho the game, from the start, was presented and advertsied as a game that's not a a GW1 2.0. GW2 is it's own game, utilizing the mechanics of a MMO rather than lobby co-op RPG. 

It only takes me to read the first line to understand that you didnt get my point. I dont see any point in playing a game that i have to reach level cap or a high level for it to be competetive or hard in any way. Wich makes me sad, cause i had high hopes for GW2, guess it doesnt suit me. Oh well. What GW1 did good imo: They made it so that you could create a max level character on the spot. They didnt make all these detours to be in the top.

You don't have to play to the level cap for any of the things you say you want. I have very serious trouble believing you played beyond level 6 or 8 while trying out GW2. I even have some doubt that you really played it at all.

In GW1, you could only create a max level PvP character "on the spot". If you are talking about instanced, competative PvP, you have the same thing in GW2. The difference is that you don't create a seperate, PvP only character. When you enter sPvP in GW2, you play with a full level 80 doppelganger of your PvE character. You have all skills and trait points unlocked and access to max stat, sPvP only weapons, armor, sigils and runes. You don't have to unlock anything except for additional armor and weapon skins. sPvP in GW2 is all about player skill, build strength, situational awareness and teamwork, rather than a level/skill/gear grind.

You either haven't played or just didn't bother to do any research on the game before doing so and have obviously formed some opinions based on lack of direct experience and a woeful lack of information.

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated

• MephsterMephster Member Posts: 1,188
    Leaps and bounds better than GW2. Not saying GW1 doesn't have flaws because it does. What I'm saying is that  they took a winning forumal in GW1 and completely did away with it to make zergfest events for the super casuals. Not to mention GW2 is a console game shoved onto the pc where as GW1 was specifically made for the pc.  

Grim Dawn, the next great action rpg!

http://www.grimdawn.com/

• nax38nax38 Member Posts: 41
    Originally posted by Mephster

Leaps and bounds better than GW2. Not saying GW1 doesn't have flaws because it does. What I'm saying is that  they took a winning forumal in GW1 and completely did away with it to make zergfest events for the super casuals. Not to mention GW2 is a console game shoved onto the pc where as GW1 was specifically made for the pc.  

Why? Because every pc game must have click to move or something?
  • StriderXedStriderXed Member Posts: 257

Played GW1 for about 2 years, quitted for maybe 4 years ago so i dont know how gw1 looks now. Preordered GW2 and tested it for a few times and i have to say i doesnt match up at all to my gw1 experience. What i have experienced/red they have removed all the strongest parts of their first game, things like Competetive GvG, hardcore PvP (1v1,3v3,5v5,8v8,12v12,24v24 etc etc). Challenging PvE, wich i did not encouter at all in GW2 And the spectating mode.

And these dynamic events are all piss easy for some reason? And from my point of view the WvWvW system doesnt really qualify as "competetive PvP" unless you are a bigger group and will actually make a difference. The current WvWvW system is all about zerging, brainless zerging.

If i am missing something and they actually have any of these features im missing, please do tell me so i can get my hopes up again. Sad to see such a hardcore GW1 turn in to a softcore GW2. 

I may be wrong but, I don't think GW2 has been released yet.

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

Well, it does have some of the features you listed as missing:

For example, it does have PvP all the way up to 8v8. They don't have the HoH modes anymore, but GW1 hasn't had those for a long time either. I did enjoy them quite a bit, but ya they've been gone a while.

Spectator mode they are still adding, but ya it didn't make it in for launch (it also wasn't a feature in GW1 either).

As for challenging PvE. Go back and play the first few missions of Prophecies. I think you'll find they are all pretty damned easy as well. They don't get challenging until you get further into the game. You're not going to find much in the way of challenging PvE content in the starting areas of any game.

That said, many of the starting areas do have some pretty tough challenges hidden in the map. For example, in the Sylvari zone there's a jumping puzzle that's protected by lvl 11 mobs, and turrets, that can be pretty challenging. There's also some really damned difficult jumping puzzles in Sylvari and Asura zones. There's some hard challenges in all of the race's areas, but they vary, and you have to get passed the first area after the tutorial (and start fighting lvl 10-30 mobs) before you will see any of that.

- Basically, GW2 is a very different game form GW1. And yes, this means that some of the things you loved about GW1 are not in GW2. However, it needs to be treated like it's own game. A lot of the nostalgia from GW1 comes from forgetting that GW1 started relatively small, and expanded over time (just like WoW). GW2 is starting pretty huge in terms of content, but it still has a lot of room to grow. You can't expect everything, all at once, on launch.

Also, GW2 is a lot more open than GW1 ever was. GW1 forces you into very controlled zones. This generates a lot of the difficulty. GW2 you have a bit more freedom to go where you please, while things are dynamically changing around you. If you find the current content too easy, there is absolutely no reason to stay there if you don't want to. You are perfectly free to go after higher lvl content. Think back to GW1, and I think you'll find that most of the challenging content in that game actually came from fighting enemies above lvl 20. Fighting enemies your own lvl was relatively easy, but fighting mobs 10 lvls higher was where a lot of the challenge came in. GW2 still keeps some of that in the game.

• Tonin109Tonin109 Member Posts: 201
    Originally posted by StriderXed

thanks

i was about to say the same

why people cant wait the release to make an opinion

your judgement is based on beta only , if you think beta = game at launch i think you're wrong

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135
    Originally posted by Tonin109

thanks

your judgement is based on beta only , if you think beta = game at launch i think you're wrong

Well, tbh, the game as you saw it in BWE3 is going to be very close to what we see at launch (except the launched version won't have a cap on content).

So to expect a huge change between now and release would be a bit foolish. That said, as of BWE3 the game is in phenominal shape, and definitely looks ready for launch. It's not perfect, it still has issues, but GW1 was no different. The game is basically how it's going to be, but they'll continue to improve on that passed launch.

- That said, even in the beta build, there are countless examples of people who have failed to experience content, or even realize the amount of content they have actually been missing. Those that have, were pretty overwhelmed by the amount of stuff available in the beta weekend. I can't remember any other betas was even remotely close to the same amount of content. Even GW1 was fairly limited by comparison in terms of content.

• RhemaThomRhemaThom Member Posts: 2
    Originally posted by wrightstuf
    you, and maybe 6 other people

Sadly you are not wrong. But that is also sad for us hardcore PvPers out there. Cause noone will make a game hard anymore, because a hard game where you punish the weak will make all the worse players leave the game. And truth to be told, majority of any playerbase consists of bad players.

Just because someone does not play exactly the way you do or like the same things you do, does not make them a "bad" player. The majority of the player base may be different than you, but "bad" is a matter of perspective. I do not even like PvP, but that does not make be a bad player. It makes me a non-pvp player.

• HeracliusHeraclius Member Posts: 71

NO!

For one simple reason: Instanced zones outside of towns.

• xpiherxpiher Member UncommonPosts: 3,310
    Spvp in gw2 seems to play almost exactly like it did in gw1 execpt with the added benefit of letting people make their own gvg tournaments with prizes and ladder. I don't know what the op us talking about.

Games:
    Currently playing:Nothing
    Will play: Darkfall: Unholy Wars
    Past games:
    Guild Wars 2 - Xpiher Duminous
    Xpiher's GW2
    GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
    Darkfall - Xpiher Duminous (NA) retired
    AoC - Xpiher (Tyranny) retired
    Warhammer - Xpiher

• HalandirHalandir Member UncommonPosts: 773

No you're not the only one. I can understand some of their decisions - While I doubt that I will play much of the PvEvP (also known as WvWvW) a lot of people seem to really enjoy and look forward to that.

Structured tournaments for 5vs5 teams instead of 8vs8 in GW makes sense with the current status in GW. A lot of teams are running with a less than full human team and 5vs5 worked quite well in Counter Strike.

It sadly matches their stupid "Codex instead of Team Arena" idea from GW: Teambuild complexity and versatility is already way lower than GW and Anet seems very focused on not having a steep learning curve as GW had.

Despite the simplification, I am willing to accept that if the end result is more players in sPvP. If successful we might see more sPvP metas and that is my biggest hope for GW2.

There is A LOT of things still missing in sPvP: AT's seems weak in its current form, no observer mode, PvE elements even in sPvP - Hopefully they get around to improving that.

We dont need casuals in our games!!! Errm... Well we DO need casuals to fund and populate our games - But the games should be all about "hardcore" because: We dont need casuals in our games!!!
    (repeat ad infinitum)

• Tonin109Tonin109 Member Posts: 201
    Originally posted by aesperus
    Originally posted by Tonin109

thanks

Well, tbh, the game as you saw it in BWE3 is going to be very close to what we see at launch (except the launched version won't have a cap on content).

So to expect a huge change between now and release would be a bit foolish. That said, as of BWE3 the game is in phenominal shape, and definitely looks ready for launch. It's not perfect, it still has issues, but GW1 was no different. The game is basically how it's going to be, but they'll continue to improve on that passed launch.

- That said, even in the beta build, there are countless examples of people who have failed to experience content, or even realize the amount of content they have actually been missing. Those that have, were pretty overwhelmed by the amount of stuff available in the beta weekend. I can't remember any other betas was even remotely close to the same amount of content. Even GW1 was fairly limited by comparison in terms of content.

they have one month (less now) to improve or change things, fix some bugs or add contents we didnt see in the betas

for people who are complaning the pvp is not the same like gw1 then just play gw1

GW2 is a diffrent game with another style of pvp and they might add the pvp of gw1 in an update or expansion

so before crying wait and see

• CrunkJuice2CrunkJuice2 Member Posts: 568

guild wars 2's concept of "were fixing everything wrong with the genre"is retarded in my opinion(i guess the people at arenanet never heard of the phrase why fix what isnt broken).but if it wasnt for the disaster that was star wars the old republic was(although i predict the same thing happening when the wow crowd comes in gw2) and the current mmo im playing im not really into i probably wouldnt even care about guild wars 2

• CrunkJuice2CrunkJuice2 Member Posts: 568

"they have one month (less now) to improve or change things, fix some bugs or add contents we didnt see in the betas"

i think star wars the old republic is a example of the majority of the mmo community doesnt wait for bugs to get fixed.if the game aint perfect day 1 of release,then everyone whines and leaves

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by Distopia

*Carebear stare*

http://www.eqclerics.org/forums/showthread.php?p=111549

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

What?

No. Just no, lol.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• MaitraderMaitrader Member UncommonPosts: 389
    GW1 Sucks hard... if Gw2 was worse than Gw1, I wouldn't even be touching it ;P

• ChristoooChristooo Member UncommonPosts: 86

This thread made me LOL ... I've spent over 1,000 hours in Guild Wars 1 on my main without about 200 hours accross my pvp characters ..  in no way shape or form is Guild Wars 1 hardcore haha it was easy all the way up into the HM's ...

Beta is Beta ... dont take a beta like a launch version if you do then you are a fool.

• GamerUntouchGamerUntouch Member Posts: 488

No, I disagree.

GW1 did NOT age well, it's really hard to get into unless you're a massive fan.

• MeowheadMeowhead Member UncommonPosts: 3,716
    Originally posted by CrunkJuice2

guild wars 2's concept of "were fixing everything wrong with the genre"is retarded in my opinion(i guess the people at arenanet never heard of the phrase why fix what isnt broken).but if it wasnt for the disaster that was star wars the old republic was(although i predict the same thing happening when the wow crowd comes in gw2) and the current mmo im playing im not really into i probably wouldnt even care about guild wars 2

... but it IS broken to some people.  Also, 'don't fix what isn't broken' would stifle all invention, taken to the extreme you're talking about.

Nothing wrong with changing things up.  'Don't fix what isn't broken' applies more to say.... SWG and NGE, rather than a brand new game attempting to do things their own way.

• jpnolejpnole Member UncommonPosts: 1,698
    The vast majority of all themepark mmo players don't PVP. That's why GW2 is not centered around PVP. That said, it looks like fun on youtube.
  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    I have tried GW1 3-4 timesd over the past 7 years and again because I really wanted HoM. The completest in me hated not having everything. Try as I might I could not get into Gw1, matter of fact I HATE GW1. I hated it so much I almost didnt check out GW2. I know its well loved by many players but its just not for me. Where as GW2 felt like the game I have always wanted to play in a few min of game time. I will play GW2 for free but you would need to pay me to play GW1.
  • heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993
    Originally posted by CrunkJuice2

The only game it's not broken for is WoW and I don't know about you but I'm sick and tired of night elves. The current MMO concept works for only one game: WoW. All other games are either going F2P or should. It's time for the industry to try something different.

There are some pretty cool games coming out soon which will hopefully move this genre away from the gear driven themeparks we've been playing since 2005. GW2 is just one of many that will finally move this genre forward.

• ariboersmaariboersma Member Posts: 1,802
    Originally posted by Nanfoodle
    I have tried GW1 3-4 timesd over the past 7 years and again because I really wanted HoM. The completest in me hated not having everything. Try as I might I could not get into Gw1, matter of fact I HATE GW1. I hated it so much I almost didnt check out GW2. I know its well loved by many players but its just not for me. Where as GW2 felt like the game I have always wanted to play in a few min of game time. I will play GW2 for free but you would need to pay me to play GW1.

out of curiousity, did you play in prophecies? I HATED it and once I made it past and onto the other campaigns(I didnt know I could start them at the time) I loved it.. I managed to get 33 points in my HoM before I finally got way too bored.

• dontadowdontadow Member UncommonPosts: 1,005

Fairly unsure where this is even coming from.  The story mode games reflect the serious challenge quests that GW 1 had.  Further along the quest they are so much harder.  

PVP is PVP, looks the same, strong customization.  

If you're looking at dynamic events and wanting to compare it to anything in GW1, there's nothing to compare it to.  GW 1 is a lobby based game.