Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What is up with the 8k limit on avatars?

MotorheadMotorhead Member UncommonPosts: 1,193

Every avatar I've ever used on a forum is over 8k.   Don't you think 25-30k would be a little more appropriate?  In the end, you'd be looking at what, an extra 50 meg tops in disk space?   If that much .....

Please, show some love for the avatarably challenged folk.

----------------------------------------------
"Some days you just can't get rid of a bomb." -- Batman

Comments

• DekronDekron Member UncommonPosts: 7,359

Actually allowing that much would take about 7.5 gigs of space. With a member base of 250,000 and 30 bytes a piece, that equals to about 7,500,000,000 (7.5 billion) bytes.

• DjinDjin Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,263

Originally posted by dekron

Actually allowing that much would take about 7.5 gigs of space. With a member base of 250,000 and 30 bytes a piece, that equals to about 7,500,000,000 (7.5 billion) bytes.

You beat me to it.

What will he do next?
  • MotorheadMotorhead Member UncommonPosts: 1,193

Originally posted by dekron

Bah, I just did the math.  7.15 GB.   That is taking into consideration that 250,000 users had a 30k avatar.   I'm sure not all 250k users are active .... you could delete old users' avatars after 3 months of inactivity ....  I'll even write the SQL for ya ...  image

Just kidding, I'm just wounded because I've been up all night, and now I realize that my OP was probably not thought out very well ....  And, I've tried every software known to man-kind, and I still can't get my Motorhead .gif under 10k ...   image

Wanna make some extra money on the site?   Charge people $10.00 a year for a larger avatar.  I'd pay  image

• LordMagnusLordMagnus Member CommonPosts: 1,322

Post the gif here. I wanna see if it can be changed..

• MotorheadMotorhead Member UncommonPosts: 1,193

Originally posted by LordMagnus

Post the gif here. I wanna see if it can be changed..

Here's the original at 12 something Kb.    You get that shrunk down, and I'll buy you a beer the next time you're in town ....   image