Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SWTOR over 500K subs as for July 31, 2012.

12345679»

Comments

• JoeyMMOJoeyMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,326
    Originally posted by DukeTyrion

I think they are going F2P so they can hide the subscription numbers from their shareholders.

Much better for them to be able to say we have had XXX number of unique logins over the last month (even if they pay nothing), then to have to tell their shareholders that the subs numbers are down to 550,000 ... 400,000 ... 200,000 ...

Yes, going down from 550K subscribers to 400K unique logins will be far better. Remember that the game itself isn't exactly going to change for the better by converting to F2P. You can do the trial right now if you feel like it. If you've done those first 15 levels of every class, you pretty much know what this game brings to the table.

imageimage
  • SouldrainerSouldrainer Member Posts: 1,857
    Originally posted by JoeyMMO
    Originally posted by DukeTyrion

I think they are going F2P so they can hide the subscription numbers from their shareholders.

Much better for them to be able to say we have had XXX number of unique logins over the last month (even if they pay nothing), then to have to tell their shareholders that the subs numbers are down to 550,000 ... 400,000 ... 200,000 ...

Yes, going down from 550K subscribers to 400K unique logins will be far better. Remember that the game itself isn't exactly going to change for the better by converting to F2P. You can do the trial right now if you feel like it. If you've done those first 15 levels of every class, you pretty much know what this game brings to the table.

Well, if Michael Patcher can be belived, they will go up to 50 million unique logins.  I'm not saying he is right, but when the game goes FTP, the amount of logins will definitely go UP.

Error: 37. Signature not found. Please connect to my server for signature access.

• SkuzSkuz Member UncommonPosts: 1,017

"Somewhere below 1,000,00 but well-above 500,000" will obviously be intended to reflect 750k, the optimistic will scale that up, the pessimistic will scale it down, but 500,001 is almost definitely TOO pessimistic, call yourself a troll if that's you, 999,999 is TOO optimistic, call yourself a fanboi if that's you.

Ultimately I don't give a crap as long as player numbers on the server I play on is healthy & means lots of activity is going on, though I do want to see the game grow rather than stagnate or shrink as it means the game I like has more longevity.

I would have preffered a far less dubious call on sub numbers to prevent exactly the kind of speculation going on, even if some would persist in rubbishing the numbers given to promote their own agenda of doom at least those willing to support the game would have a firmer standpoint from which to defend it.

• stinneystinney Member Posts: 35

I just love it when arrogant companies like EA an LA gamble big and fall flat on their faces.

I'm so glad I never got caught up in the hype and contributed any of my money to this disaster.

This is very satisfying to me.

• SouldrainerSouldrainer Member Posts: 1,857
    Originally posted by stinney

I just love it when arrogant companies like EA an LA gamble big and fall flat on their faces.

I'm so glad I never got caught up in the hype and contributed any of my money to this disaster.

This is very satisfying to me.

You should actually try the game.  You might like it.  Don't get me wrong.  EA is not my favorite, and neither is LA... but you really shouldn't knock the game until you've tried it.

Error: 37. Signature not found. Please connect to my server for signature access.

• SleepyfishSleepyfish Member Posts: 363
    Originally posted by Atlan99
    Originally posted by SlickShoes
    Originally posted by observer

2:03: Disappointing performance of Star Wars: The Old Republic was offset by powerful performance of Battlefield 3.

They really think people are going to believe that?  No sane person would believe that spin.

Over 1 million people purchased the battlefield membership thing that gives you all the DLC for the game, that costs £40, the least amount of money they made just from that was something like £40,000,000 so it's not hard to believe at all that helped to mask some of the financial hit taken by SWTOR.

Exactly.

Plus Battlefield 3 has sold almost 14 million copies. The profit from Battlefield 3 when all is said and done will be enough  to fund another SWTOR.

The problem is BF3 isn't an mmo AND its primary goal was to beat call of duty, which DEMOLISHED BF3 in sales, they will have to spend a good amount of revenue just to make BF4 to at least compete with Activision on that one. The last thing they need to do is cannibalize the sales of another studio that is doing well, which BF3 is, to fund a failed game.