Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Which Role Will You Play? Gw2 Poll

MaelzraelMaelzrael Member UncommonPosts: 405

I plan to lend myself mostly to Support/control combo the most. Going Mesmer as my main i think so shouldnt be to hard. Of course will dps as needed. 

Key:

Damage: Kill stuff

Support: Heal/buff

Control: CC/Knockbacks/debuffs.

If you post feel free to add the class you plan to use an the weapon/abilities to go along with it.

Comments

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748
    Being that there are no roles, I'll learn to use the right skills at the right times (I hope...).

Oderint, dum metuant.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Originally posted by Volkon
    Being that there are no roles, I'll learn to use the right skills at the right times (I hope...).

There are roles, and smart players can use all 3 of them, when needed.  But  it never hurts to maintain your favourite role as long as its not neccesary to switch.   I.e. a group needs all of the 3 roles, and it does not matter who performs them as long as they are performed.

Keep in mind that even a DPS spec has some controll and support abillities.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380

There are skills.  Use them.

• RoxtarrRoxtarr Member CommonPosts: 1,122

While there are no 'permanent' roles, there will be multiple roles and good players will be switching between them frequently.

If in 1982 we played with the current mentality, we would have burned down all the pac man games since the red ghost was clearly OP. Instead we just got better at the game.

• fiontarfiontar Member UncommonPosts: 3,682
    Originally posted by GrumpyCharr

While there are no 'permanent' roles, there will be multiple roles and good players will be switching between them frequently.

Exactly!

Even with Trait Point distribution being semi-permanent, (paying a trainer gold to respec, with increasing respec costs), there is still a lot of buld freedom in skill selection and selection of skills with in your trait lines. Gear stats will also play a role in build differentiation as people get more into the mechanics of the game.

In the BWEs, I often switched things up depending on the situation I was heading into. I usually adjusted skills/weapon choice between solo exploration, group dynamic events and closed quarters situations. I know as I learn more and more the ins and outs of my profession, there will be even more levels of nuance.

there are builds that can be versatile, for those who don't want to have to change builds while out playing, but the game will also reward those willing to make appropriate adjustments.

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated

• Agrias34Agrias34 Member UncommonPosts: 147

I'll just be filling in whatever role is needed.  I'm going to be maining a warrior, I'm don't think they can be as support'ish as say a Guardian who have a lot of heals and support abilities.  Warriors don't have many group heals other than some shouts and banners etc, but no true heals and only support is kinda just damage buffing.

I really don't see the use for any of these roles, all dungeons are pretty much going to be self serve, everyone has their own job of staying alive, not pinning the healing job on one particular person per say. 

Although, My 2nd character choice is going to be either elementalist or guardian which i will be speccing into heal rating and doing specifically that for group play.  I've always played a healer in any MMO of my lifetime, and will still try to do the same somewhat here as well at some point.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    I have to go with all of the above, as depending on a group situation I could have to fill all of those over time. Not to mention having multiple characters.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965

Damage

Making something die faster is the best support a team can get.

• jondifooljondifool Member UncommonPosts: 1,143

There is roles, and they are not fixed.

There is builds and they do differentiate into different playstyles.

These playstyles is NOT the same as traditionel roles, but they come close enough that we can talk about building a character around being better at support, control or damage.

having an exstreame build where 7 skills are mostly support, and 2 mainly damage and 1 is control, backed with support traits, makes a very fokused support build. This builds playstyle would be active use of support skills nearly all the time.

A more balanced build with 3 control, 4 damage and 3 support, would much more likely have a very situational use of support skills. 

Because of the way GW2 is setup , everyone will always have situational uses of skills that supports and controls. A good player chosse a good situation to use them in, a bad waiste them when not needed.

But besides the situational uses of support and control, builds will form a playstyle that goes further, to what you regular do. That can and will be weighted in the direction of support, control or damage. That playstyle can be said to be be your role.

• GorillaGorilla Member UncommonPosts: 2,235
    The 'roles' are pretty fuzzy, my hunch is Anet simply introduced them for the people who need to pigeon hole everything. I'm going to go hunter gatherer.
  • MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

If you play 1 specific role you dont use your weapons properly,

Wich means you are playing your class in a bad way.

Always know what diffrent weapons do and adjust.

Seeing alot of enemy's ? use your 2 hander

Going 1v1 ? use high damage weapons

Want knockbacks ? use a 2 handed mace

Adjust to your suroundings and oponents.

I have played many classes in the beta, and they all provide Burst - Control -  Conditions - Heals.

Some better then others but still suffienct enough to gt any job done.

You need to think outside the box if you want to succeed in GW2, its not like WoW / Aion / Warhammer / SWTOR or any other mmo for that matter.

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317
    I usually switch between my two main roles. Guy that is trying to kill something and guy that is trying to not die.

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• seridanseridan Member UncommonPosts: 1,202
    Since changing roles is so easy... all of the above of course!

Block the trolls, don't answer them, so we can remove the garbage from these forums

• dreldrel Member Posts: 918
    you can do it all in GW2-there isn't a specific role or roles as you have seen in other MMO's.