Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looks like GW2 is going to hurt you know who.....

Comments

• xalvixalvi Member Posts: 329
    Originally posted by Nocton
    Hopefully, Guild Wars 2 will provide competition to WOW and show other mmo developers that in order to complete with, World of Warcraft. You must try and design a game that is not a copy of WOW.

Agreed.

But people forget that there are upcoming mmo's that are in current development that are using different combat system and the like. Prob going to be released in couple years from now, but it will come. Until then GW2 here i come.

• MercAngelMercAngel Member Posts: 204
    Originally posted by sammandar
    Originally posted by MercAngel
    Originally posted by Lucioon

People need to understand that WOW can afford to lose over 8 million players before even considering F2P.

Unlike other MMO on the market, WOW doesn't need to fear 1 to 2 million drops in subscriptions.

Over the course of its life, it already recovered all of its investment and its just generating Revenue. Even with 100k subscriptions, it will still be generating Revenue for Acti-Blizzard.

You can't compare WOW to other MMO's decline of Subscription, sure it will take a chunk out of its continous stream of profit and cut down on their funds, but just do some basic calculations and you will find that they have already earn enough to last them for a long while.

Especially with Starcraft IP, Diablo IP, and the upcoming Titan, Blizzard is not a company that will be suffering for a decline of subscription in WOW.

no if you read the news post WoW does need to fear a 2 million drop in subs Vivendi owns 60% of Blizzard they are trying to find a private buyer now for there 60% if the subs drop to far Vivendi is going to sell it shares on the open market  this will make the stock price of Bilzzard drop if it drops to far Vivendi will dump all of it shares on the open market to cut it's loss this in turn will open Bilzzard up to a takeover by some one else and if one of there competitors take them over what do you think will happen to WoW then.

Though I agree with you that Blizzard is in a very delicate situation, I think anyone would have to be mad to trash wow after taking it over. Even if NCSoft were to take over Blizzard, which I think would be awesome, I highly doubt they would seek to dismantle the game.

true but if some one else does take over they are go to look at why the number fell off and how much  time and cost is it going to take to fix it. if that number is grater then what they will make off it thye may shut it down or change it to B2P so they can may money off box and added on's. but in the end WoW will be change for ever.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by sammandar

Though I agree with you that Blizzard is in a very delicate situation, I think anyone would have to be mad to trash wow after taking it over. Even if NCSoft were to take over Blizzard, which I think would be awesome, I highly doubt they would seek to dismantle the game.

last I heard,  Activision is trying to buy it

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/07/18/activision-could-buy-itself-back-from-vivendi

• ThrennieThrennie Member UncommonPosts: 107

WoW is subscription based while GW2 is buy to play. Two different models. Many people will be playing GW2 while also keeping their WoW subscriptions open. I know others that have pre-bought the former and will be doing this. I'll be doing this myself. Heck I've done it many times in the past even with other subscription based games. Why? simply because as with a lot of people I've become attached to many of my characters and invested too much time to want to give it up completely, and that I also like a little variety rather than playing one game exclusively.

So in my opinion there's room for both these games, and while I admit that there may be a  dip in the subscription levels of WoW at first, until the newness of GW2 wears off a little, I doubt very much it will be to a point where it will be detrimental to Blizzards subscription model.

• sammandarsammandar Member Posts: 523
    Originally posted by Thrennie

WoW is subscription based while GW2 is buy to play. Two different models. Many people will be playing GW2 while also keeping their WoW subscriptions open. I know others that have pre-bought the former and will be doing this. I'll be doing this myself. Heck I've done it many times in the past even with other subscription based games. Why? simply because as with a lot of people I've become attached to many of my characters and invested too much time to want to give it up completely, and that I also like a little variety rather than playing one game exclusively.

So in my opinion there's room for both these games, and while I admit that there may be a  dip in the subscription levels of WoW at first, until the newness of GW2 wears off a little, I doubt very much it will be to a point where it will be detrimental to Blizzards subscription model.

Though I think it is reasonable to believe that many people will buy both GW2 and MoP and probably play both, it is interesting that Blizzard cited the move from WOW to D3 as the main cause for their loss of 1.1 million subs. I wonder if GW2 will have a similar effect.

• observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685
    The biggest issue in this whole discussion is that Vivendi wants to sell 60% of it's shares.  Whoever buys that 60% will have control over WoW, which is a bigger threat than GW2 or it's competitors.
  • GorillaGorilla Member UncommonPosts: 2,235
    Originally posted by observer
    The biggest issue in this whole discussion is that Vivendi wants to sell 60% of it's shares.  Whoever buys that 60% will have control over WoW, which is a bigger threat than GW2 or it's competitors.

The only powers shareholders have is to appoint different  officers of the company. They have no direct control.G

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by Praetalus
    It's fun to look at some of these old post when gw1 was coming out. That game was also supposed to "own" WoW and be the wow-killer. That didn't seem to work out....

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/82/view/forums/forum/511/page/234

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/82/view/forums/thread/15276/Why-GW-over-EQ2-and-WoW.html

Lol doesnt that all sound to familiar...

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

Originally posted by Thrennie

I have always disagreed with this argument, people will only keep a subscription if they are still getting 'value' out of the game.  I also thing most people are monogamous when it comes to mmorpg games. 

There is an exception to thi, I think one of the reasons people stick with a game is because of the 'investmant'. This is similar to people who stay in relationships that are essentially over/broken/unenjoyable.  It is an 'attachment' (as you say) but not to their characters.

• RoybeRoybe Member UncommonPosts: 420

Well, here's a thread and some business discussion that means something. How will GW2 affect WOW?  Logically, it SHOULDN'T have any affect, one is BtP with no monthly sub the other has a sub, so OBVIOUSLY everyone can play both.  Yep that is the end of that discussion, unless you take the word of the half a million or so GW2 beta testers on something more important.  The 'GW2 Effect'. 

The idea that GW2 plays so differently, has so many different ways to play, that GW2 is so much better with whatever 'thing' floats your boat, that going back to the same old, same old, WoW/WoW clone is lackluster at best, and a waste of a persons time at worst.

I am definitely on the fanboy train of GW2, however, I also understand that the game is extremely different in the way it plays, feels, looks, etc.  and can fail because people cannot wrap themselves around the changes or find the changes distasteful for many reasons.  However, there are many more people in many different game forums, that are saying 'I played GW2 and cannot go back to my old game'.  This is how Blizzard WILL lose market share IF GW2 is as successful as the people that have played in the BWE's have stated. Arenanet is attempting to provide an experience that is so different than the 'norm' that playing the 'norm' is dull, boring, and tedious.

Nope, I do not believe in 'the second coming', but I am aware that there are games that come along and immediately change players expectations of what a game should do, rather than what players expect them to do.  These games tend to be dominant in the industry for quite a bit of time.

• sammandarsammandar Member Posts: 523
    Originally posted by Roybe

Well, here's a thread and some business discussion that means something. How will GW2 affect WOW?  Logically, it SHOULDN'T have any affect, one is BtP with no monthly sub the other has a sub, so OBVIOUSLY everyone can play both.  Yep that is the end of that discussion, unless you take the word of the half a million or so GW2 beta testers on something more important.  The 'GW2 Effect'. 

The idea that GW2 plays so differently, has so many different ways to play, that GW2 is so much better with whatever 'thing' floats your boat, that going back to the same old, same old, WoW/WoW clone is lackluster at best, and a waste of a persons time at worst.

I am definitely on the fanboy train of GW2, however, I also understand that the game is extremely different in the way it plays, feels, looks, etc.  and can fail because people cannot wrap themselves around the changes or find the changes distasteful for many reasons.  However, there are many more people in many different game forums, that are saying 'I played GW2 and cannot go back to my old game'.  This is how Blizzard WILL lose market share IF GW2 is as successful as the people that have played in the BWE's have stated. Arenanet is attempting to provide an experience that is so different than the 'norm' that playing the 'norm' is dull, boring, and tedious.

Nope, I do not believe in 'the second coming', but I am aware that there are games that come along and immediately change players expectations of what a game should do, rather than what players expect them to do.  These games tend to be dominant in the industry for quite a bit of time.

Agreed; fair, balanced and and quite to the point. I think you are right, if GW2 is successful, it does have the potential to steal a significant chucnk of the market "pie" from WOW; as to how much exactly no one knows.

• ArthasmArthasm Member UncommonPosts: 785
    Originally posted by Roybe

'I played GW2 and cannot go back to my old game'. 

That's me. After BWE 1, I was bored to death after logging into my Wow acc. After BWE 2 I log in just to kill Deathwing HC... 3 weeks later I sold my account. 1,5 years of playing and Wow gone for me. It was funny to hear people saying "You will come back...". But, not me. 

• TJixleeTJixlee Member Posts: 159
    it  will effect WoW but now like it will SWTOR RIFT TERA TSW and others. WoW could lose half its player base and still be profitable. no ones going to beatthat titan of a game...... UNLESS blizz makes WoW2 or something lol

• MagnnarotMagnnarot Member Posts: 50
    Originally posted by TJixlee
    it  will effect WoW but now like it will SWTOR RIFT TERA TSW and others. WoW could lose half its player base and still be profitable. no ones going to beatthat titan of a game...... UNLESS blizz makes WoW2 or something lol

Only WoW is going to beat WoW, slowly and over time they will lose subs, as they have been for some time.

The game is fated to bleed to death unless blizz somehow pulls an innovation/gets out of what they have been doing for the past 8 years, with and increasingly dumbed down game. If anything the only ones left over there will be kids in some time.

I sincerelly doubt Titan will be anything innovative, seeing as D3 and SC2 turned out, still the only wing of blizzard that seems still to be working on quality products is its RTS area (sure SC2 didn't bring anything new to the table, but it did refine everything that SC1 had and added a little bit here and there). I miss old Blizzard North...

• Bad.dogBad.dog Member UncommonPosts: 1,131

LOL I think the problem is WOW is loosing 30% of it's playerbase anually ...and it's proving not to be profitable ...nobody has to beat WOW it's done it all on it's own

• Chase187666Chase187666 Member UncommonPosts: 138
    Originally posted by Ambros123
    Originally posted by Illyssia
    I think GW2 launch is going to crucify the Panda expansion and force that company to a free-to-play model.

Doubtful.  There are enough fans and people will buy anything with the Blizz logo on the box.  Rift and TSW will be crucified before WoW will.

This ^

But maybe over time?

More posts from people that haven't even bothered to read the article :(
  • kikoodutroa8kikoodutroa8 Member RarePosts: 565
    Just like SWTOR, GW2 is going to fix everything!
  • PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784
    GW2 will please a lot of people. It will sell a lot of boxes. A lot of people will play GW2 for a long time. Others will play and leave like they do on every other new MMO that has been released since WoW. Nobody knows how well GW2 will hold up after players have been playing for months. 
  • vgamervgamer Member Posts: 195

You guys heavily underestimate wow if you think gw2 is going to hurt activision.

Don't get me wrong, I hate blizzard intensely since they have been corrupted by activision but wow is too big.

I like to call it 'social trapping'. Just look around, alot of people who play WoW don't like the game itself (its more grindier than a korean f2p) but they stay in spite of the shitty gameplay. Want to know why? It's because theire friends and guildmates play.

Wow is not about a good game, it has become a social meeting place. That explains why so many new MMo's fail yet wow survives. The newer MMos don't have this social trapping as the community needs to establish  yet. (While wow had the advantage that is started in a time when there was not that much competition yet, and at the time, it was decent)

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

Don't think it will affect TSW much at all, If it does it will be positive.  

TSW is the anti-WoW/Swtor/Rift/Gw2.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993
    Originally posted by bcbully

"Anti" as in almost exactly the same?

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292

I think that if it affects one it will affect them all. They are all the same, themeparks.

• SlampigSlampig Member UncommonPosts: 2,342
    Originally posted by Illyssia
    I think GW2 launch is going to crucify the Panda expansion and force that company to a free-to-play model.

What about the people that plan on playing both games? 

That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!

• Bad.dogBad.dog Member UncommonPosts: 1,131

Actually TSW has more in common with Swtor and Rift (WoW clones) then GW2 does ...quest hubs, progressive dungeons and after thought pvp is the calling card for WoW clones