Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

1,000,000 and Growing!

exanimoexanimo Member UncommonPosts: 1,301

NCsoft and ArenaNet's Guild Wars Surpasses One Million Units Sold in North America and Europe;

Acclaimed Online Game Hits Milestone in Less than Five Months; Activations Show No Sign of Slowing as Holiday Season Approaches

AUSTIN, Texas--Sept. 22, 2005--NCsoft® (KSE: 036570.KS), the world's leading developer and publisher of online computer games announces yet another milestone for its top-selling competitive roleplaying game, Guild Wars®, from ArenaNet® studios. More than one million units have been purchased since the game launched on April 28th of this year, and the numbers are increasing.

"We reached this lofty goal in an extremely short period of time," said Robert Garriott, president of NCsoft's North American business. "We launched the game in late April and throughout the notoriously slow summer buying season, account activations just continued to grow. Our business model, which does not require a subscription fee, coupled with the quality of the game, have struck a chord with gamers everywhere."

"At EBGames, Guild Wars has been one of the most successful PC products during the summer and early fall," said Carol Beck, vice president of merchandising at EBGames. "As we head to the critical holiday shopping season, we expect the game to continue to be a top seller and become one of the most requested games on holiday shopping lists."

"We are extremely pleased the game has been so well received in such a short amount of time," said ArenaNet co-founder Michael O'Brien. "Our commitment to our players is consistently to provide high-level support for the game through frequent gameplay and content updates and we believe that's a big reason why we have so many people playing the game today."

Earlier this month ArenaNet released their Sorrow's Furnace Update, a free expansion of Guild Wars content that offers two new explorable regions, new quests, new monsters, new items and more. Players already are applauding the newly released update.

Guild Wars is a competitive online roleplaying game that rewards player skill more than time played. Players explore a rich fantasy game world, acquire skills, build personalized characters and compete in head-to-head guild battles with players from around the world.

NCsoft and ArenaNet soon will be launching Guild Wars in both Japan and Taiwan with fully-localized versions.

More information about Guild Wars can be found at http://www.guildwars.com.

ultra cool , one milion - its party time !!!!!!!!!!!!! imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage

imageimage

Comments

• yourmom12192yourmom12192 Member Posts: 221
    1,000,000!!! Wow i hope the numbers keep going too. I love guild wars and maybe well beat the amount of people on world of warcraft. world of warcraft SUCKS!!!!! Guild Wars is the BEST PERIODimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage
  • Ch40zCh40z Member Posts: 1

wow sucks? so does ur mom....

it doesnt suck it just is different than guild wars. plus to many little kids play WOW.
  • BentBent Member CommonPosts: 581

And GW doesn't have too many little kids? Of every attempt you could of used to knock WoW you picked probably the worst one.

• CaptainRPGCaptainRPG Member Posts: 794

Originally posted by yourmom12192
    1,000,000!!! Wow i hope the numbers keep going too. I love guild wars and maybe well beat the amount of people on world of warcraft. world of warcraft SUCKS!!!!! Guild Wars is the BEST PERIODimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage

In the same 3 month period as WoW, GW only aquired 600,000 between late April and July 6. Where as WoW got 1,000,000 players by between Nov and Jan.
  • mi6asmi6as Member Posts: 11

Hehe
    Funny to see WoW fanboys here ::::02::

Just to say that GW started from scratch and WoW from huge brand that is Warcraft.
    Other thing is that GW will have more 2 big updates in the next monthes. The first is the observer and replay mode and the other is the chapter 2 (not free). So expect GW to became the number 1 game in the world.

PS: GW its still not available in China where WoW sold 1million copies.

• zeboathzeboath Member Posts: 396

Sigh... I hoped that this thread could be left alone all to celebrate the milestone. I know some of our fans started the "WOW SUCKS" and that's also what I'm tired of. Can we just don't comment each other on our brand of games.

As the previous guy said, WoW did have a huge fanbase already, and that's just good for them. What I want to conclude with that, is that reaching the 1.000.000 mark for a game with no fanbase to begin with is a great achievement.

--------------------------------------------

• CaptainRPGCaptainRPG Member Posts: 794

Originally posted by zeboath

As the previous guy said, WoW did have a huge fanbase already, and that's just good for them. What I want to conclude with that, is that reaching the 1.000.000 mark for a game with no fanbase to begin with is a great achievement.

Agreed.

Originally posted by mi6as

Just to say that GW started from scratch and WoW from huge brand that is Warcraft.

The name hardly did anything for the game. Everquest is also well known MMORPGs that also had a fanbase of 1,000,000 players as well, but this didn't stop hardcore fans from leaving Everquest II after it debuted. Hell, a Cartoonish version of Legend of Zelda was put on PC almost a decade ago, yet it's famous title didn't stop the PC game from bombing. I'm not bragging about WoW's achievements, but to point out to the last poster that Guild Wars has long road ahead of itself before it even gets within WoW's radar and it still isn't appealing to all the fans, which is what WoW is doing.

Like Russell Crowe's character Maximus, WoW has won the approval of the people by appealing to them where as GW is only appealing to a certain group.

Originally posted by mi6as

Other thing is that GW will have more 2 big updates in the next monthes. The first is the observer and replay mode and the other is the chapter 2 (not free). So expect GW to became the number 1 game in the world.
    PS: GW its still not available in China where WoW sold 1million copies.

WoW just had a big update a few weeks ago, adding two RP-PvP servers. This obviously means the game base is getting bigger due to fact they are creating never before-seen servers to allow a new style of gameplay and welcoming a new breed of players. Again, I'm not bragging here, but you're being a little irrational by quickly assuming that Gw will WoW overcoming flawlessly within a short time period.

WoW has been making updates too to expand the world and offer more for the people who have different playing styles.

• BentBent Member CommonPosts: 581

Hmm, I never thought WoW would do the RP-PvP servers... people have been asking for them for a long long time... good deal.

• RiludeRilude Member Posts: 30
    keep up the good work!
  • angerrangerr Member Posts: 865
    gw will never be the #1 selling mmorpg... period.  yes selling 1 million copies is a great achievment dont get me wrong, but to be honest wow crushed them and all other mmo's in sales. this is not a argument saying one is a better game than the other but sales wize there is no comparison....

read this http://www.vanguardsoh.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1044304#post1044304 then come back and talk to me about the vanguard/soe fiasco.....

• 8hammer88hammer8 Member Posts: 1,812

Originally posted by CaptainRPG
    Originally posted by yourmom12192 1,000,000!!! Wow i hope the numbers keep going too. I love guild wars and maybe well beat the amount of people on world of warcraft. world of warcraft SUCKS!!!!! Guild Wars is the BEST PERIODimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageIn the same 3 month period as WoW, GW only aquired 600,000 between late April and July 6. Where as WoW got 1,000,000 players by between Nov and Jan.

First:Congradulations are in order for NCsoft and ANet for hitting a great level of success. Starting with a plan (no monthly fee's), sticking with it and making it work and keeping the quality that it has should be applauded by most people.

Second: yourmom, why oh why did you try and stir that up. Some day no one will care and people can be happy with both seperately. They are two different games that appeal to didfferent styles.

Third: In talking about three month time periods, look at the release dates of both titles, they are at completely different times of the year retail wise. WoW was smart with their release date of Nov - Jan, taking advange of the holidays. How many kids added this to their gift list, how many purchases where made by parents for their kids on a whim? Getting a million out in a three month period is tremendous no matter what. I think this though should highlight the success of GW as well. Selling 600K in a relatively dead retail season (with 3 of the 4 months being school months as well) is also awesome in its own right. I think this shows that both are great, both will continue to grow and both will start being played more and more by the same people.

Play your games and have fun...if you dont like other games, dont play them....they are only games::::20::

"It is easier to be cruel than wise. The road to wisdom is long and difficult... so most people just turn out to be assholes" Feng (Christopher Walken)

• AseenusAseenus Member UncommonPosts: 1,844

w00t w00t party time :) GUIILD WARS OWNS :)

::::01::::::02::::::03::::::04::::::08::::::27::::::24::::::20::::::34::::::32::::::31::::::29::

Srry i didnt mean to make this an argument about the whole wow vs gw thing. I was just happy to hear that 1,000,000 people had baught it. image
  • BfkenjiBfkenji Member Posts: 48

This is awesome.  A game as good as guild wars deserves its success.  I hope more and more people get exposed to this game, since it is perfect for the casual gamer.  There is not a lot of time commitment needed, it is fast-paced, has lots of pvp and is always improving.  Keep up the good work NcSoft.

• exanimoexanimo Member UncommonPosts: 1,301

world of warcraft shouldnt be fighting gw in terms of seles , i mean , we all know the fame of wow comes from WarCraft series ... soo .. 4 milons .. yeah well , warcraft is a good game.

but guildwars ... ohhh guildwars ... image

• jimmyman99jimmyman99 Member UncommonPosts: 3,221

not to throw GW fanbois off but 1,000,000 sold sopies doesnt mean 1,000,000 people play it. You cant realy measure GW becuase gameplay is free so you never know how many people play it.

I am the type of player where I like to do everything and anything from time to time.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holodomor - pre-WW2 genocide.
    imageimage

true , but lack of people is not a problem in guildwars .. i personaly dont care if we have 1 or 5 milion copys sold

it would be nice to have 5 just to flame wow players tho , hehe

• emdtemdt Member Posts: 325

great game

gratz areanet for the big number

noteto u Wows lovers: dont like gw? y ya here? fuck off...seriously

---------------------------------------------
    *characters*
    Guild Wars
    -Danish Kokor-lvl 20 monk/mesmer
    -Ettarde Aoi- lvl 7 warrior/ranher
    Maple Story
    -Danish-lvl30 Hunter
    -kokore-lvl8 Mage
    Runescape
    -Lady Ettarde-lvl 58

mmm , i just play Gw atm image

CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP

PARTY TIME !!!!

if we dont have more copys sold , someone is guilty , cose many of my friends want to buy the game , and is out of stock for weeks now ...

• t0r0t0r0 Member Posts: 11

I quit playing a while back, along with a bunch of other people,  because of some of the changes they made to the game (for the worse). I'd like to know how many of those million copies are actually still being used.