Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Michael pachter might be right ABOUT 50 million accounts.

After seeing taela's post on Pachter's estimate of 50 million accounts for swtor (this is after going free to play), it might make sense. You have free to play games like runescape who tells the world they have 200 million accounts registered worldwide.

The numbers are being marketed right now, so perhaps what  michael pachter was trying to say is they may have 50 million accounts registered once its free to play. I have played swtor, its a great single player game with mmo attached to it.

I quit and gave them the feedback that swtor is a great single player game, and it is not worth the $15 a month.

Its very true, that swtor 1-50 leveling tread is great, but my predcition is that those free to play players will not buy stuff from cash shop and just level on 1-50 and quit. The end game is boring, there was no reason why free to play players will sub just for end game and other perks, those perks are not worth it imo. I would not be suprised if guidl wars 2 annouce they have 3 million box sold and 3 million accounts registered, its there to hype up the product and tell mmo players that they have tons of players in their games.

Comments

• lotapartylotaparty Member Posts: 514
    you might well be right about this
  • jdlamson75jdlamson75 Member UncommonPosts: 1,010
    Only thing is that I've played Runescape, and it was kinda fun.  SWTOR wasn't.  It doesn't matter if a game is free to play, if it's not fun, I'm not going to be interested in sticking around.  I think a 50 million account projection is a bit lofty, but who knows.  Just remember that it took Runescape a few years to get to that number...
  • BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    It'll be one of those things that happens over time. 3 years from now they'll say, "50 million accounts! YAY!" and everyone will look over at the F2P game and shrug their shoulders because they know that the number is pretty standard for F2P games.
  • Tortanic007Tortanic007 Member Posts: 2
    Yea its sad really the problem with swtor is its a great single player game with mmo attached to it, its the game itself that is flawed. My family have canceled swtor with the same feedback. Its just not worth $15 a month doing end game raid or warfronts. Those of who subbed to support swtor already committed to $15/month (im not sure why), however free players wil not sub for end game and minor perks, they will just play through 1-50 storyline and move on. 
  • NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by Tortanic007

After seeing taela's post on Pachter's estimate of 50 million accounts for swtor (this is after going free to play), it might make sense. You have free to play games like runescape who tells the world they have 200 million accounts registered worldwide.

worth noting runescape was around for 11 years before they announced that

• RydesonRydeson Member UncommonPosts: 3,852

That is the beauty about using a F2P format.. It gives the company a huge tool to muck up the numbers of how many actually play the game.. Eventually even the CEO's will not know if a game is sucessful or not, or growing or not.. They will only be able to quickly use "profit" number at the bottom of the sheet..  A dev could go to management saying, "oh we need F2P because we can really work on that cash shop, yada yada yada", when their true intent is just to save their jobs because of bleeding sub numbers..  One may never know..

I have to say.. I'm really liking the B2P options.. The presure of playing to justify the $15 a month isn't there.. IMO it puts the pressure on the devs to CREATE a reason for me to support you..  If you don't create good content to buy, you get nothing.. Works for me :)

• bunnyhopperbunnyhopper Member CommonPosts: 2,751
    I doubt it.

"Come and have a look at what you could have won."

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194
    Guys you are so deluded about SWTOR, like Bioware thinking it was going to kill WOW.
    Just let it go will ya?
    SWTOR is just a bad MMO that's as somple as that. No many people are willing to play a WOW clone, a bad one at it as well.
    LoL and Runescape are very peculiar games, very distinctive and they have a selling point, that's why they are popular.
    SWTOR has none of those selling points, it is just a boring WOW copy and it won't be popular whether is free to play or not.
    It will have more accounts (because those numbers are cumulative) but the active players will be pretty much the same as now.

• ChewychompChewychomp Member Posts: 9
    Sad thing is ToR's endgame is well not very good at best, its a pretty big reason why the game is bleeding subs so badly and why many feel the game is not worth a sub, and this is the part of the product they want to make money on? 
  • Crazy_StickCrazy_Stick Member Posts: 1,059

There is some question regarding the way the article is worded when trying to get at the meat of what Pachter actually said. To be gentle toward him, if SWTOR is stuck in the purely western market NO, they will not get 10 million active subscription paying players and 50 million accounts in two years.That has not happened with any MMORPG I know of in just two years while operating in a niche. Frankly, I wonder how long it would take and how much it would cost to localize SWTOR for various other markets around the world in part due to the sheer amount of voice over work that would be needed. It may not be practical to do.

You have games like Runescape with 200 million accounts or Maplestory with 92 million players  (per Daniel Kim later in the article) but I am not sure how either’s profitability really compares to WOW. Funny to say SWTOR isn’t in their league yet... Kinda disturbing too. 

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by BlackestNite
    Originally posted by Nadia
    Originally posted by Tortanic007

worth noting runescape was around for 11 years before they announced that

and had good word of mouth.

and is fun to play.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• stevebmbsqdstevebmbsqd Member Posts: 448
    Originally posted by colddog04
    It'll be one of those things that happens over time. 3 years from now they'll say, "50 million accounts! YAY!" and everyone will look over at the F2P game and shrug their shoulders because they know that the number is pretty standard for F2P games.

The same could be said about GW and GW2. Even though it is B2P, the number of boxes has no real reflection of the amount of people that are actually playing it. The number of accounts registered or boxes sold is meaningless.

• CelciusCelcius Member RarePosts: 1,868

Honestly Michael Pachter has made some decent predictions in the past, but this one is way out there. He does get paid to do this kind of thing, but I just find 50 million unbelievable. I would be amazed if they even had over 10 million accounts total created after F2P. I can see them getting up to maybe 5 million in a year or so after F2P but thats about it. It does not mean that the game will be any bit more successful though because they have to keep up with the promise of content patches every 6 weeks which everyone knows won't happen.

I think most people will just play through one or two of the stories and call it a day. The end game is certainly not worth paying for and everyone with half a brain realizes this.

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063
    This reminds me of the facebook pages that brag about their thousands of "likes."  It's utterly meaningless in the grand scheme of things. 

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    Originally posted by stevebmbsqd
    Originally posted by colddog04

The same could be said about GW and GW2. Even though it is B2P, the number of boxes has no real reflection of the amount of people that are actually playing it. The number of accounts registered or boxes sold is meaningless.

Except GW1 actually had to sell boxes. When SWTOR goes F2P, they will not have to sell boxes. This makes the situations completely different as a registration to GW1 requires that a person pays money and a registration to SWTOR requires you to have a valid e-mail address.

• AmanaAmana Moderator UncommonPosts: 3,912

To give feedback on moderation, contact [email protected]

This discussion has been closed.