Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

pvp?

2»

Comments

• TinybinaTinybina Member Posts: 2,130

Originally posted by toeblast

Im sitting in a bar and enjoing my ale, when some punk start to talk crap about cimmerians. I draw my sword preparing to slice his head of, but for some reason i cant move my sword arm because of "pvp not allowed in this district".
    GIMME A BREAK! Here i am hoping for a game free for "carebear" elements.

You GIMME A BREAK... PVP in open PVP MMORPG's dont go like this stop fooling yourself.. If some punk is talking trash then I have no problem with killing him.. However, PVP in OPEN PVP games go like this instead... Im outside at my farm harvesting with my 5 year old child when 5 armed punks on horses come by and Chop me and my kid into pieces and ride off into the sunset..... WHy? just because they can.

Funcom got PVP right with AO if you ask me... It catered to both the PVP fanatics and the people who were into PVE... You never had to step foot into a PVP zone if you didnt want  to.. Sometimes it was called for and it was your option to do so.. On the flip side if you wanted to PVP there was tons of oppurtunites and battles waging all times of the day for land. I absolutly loved and participated in it every oppurtunity that I had...

I just dont understand why its a must to be able to kill and gank people way under your level for you people.. Why must you kill things that can provide no resistence and challange to you? Perhaps cause your cowards and thats usually what cowards do. I can see if in OPEN PVP if people didnt go around ganking ever lowbie in the area. But lets face it this is the internet, people are going to get away with what ever you let them get away with. PVP in a MMORPG needs rules to curb the Cowardly gankers and force them to grow a pair and pvp agianst something that would provide a challange to them (IE same lvl characters)...

------------------------------
    You see, every mammal on this planet instinctively develops a natural equilibrium with their surrounding environment, but you humans do not. You spread to an area, and you multiply, and you multiply, until every natural resource is consumed. The only way you can survive is to spread to another area. There is another organism on this planet that follows the same pattern. Do you know what it is? A virus. Human beings are a disease, a cancer of this planet.-Mr.Smith

• NeymozeNeymoze Member Posts: 9
    Well listen, image there is a single player so if guys want to quest or farm without pvp, they can play solo. And they can make much quests on their own lands with much guards and other creatures to protect them. pvp is always much fun and ins't it cool to attack and burn a city with ur BIG group? image
  • millbromillbro Member Posts: 71
    thats prob the only way, is to not have lvls and uber items in the game if its completly open pvp full loot. DF has the right idea imo. no lvl just get better at the skills you have... also if you are just a ass randomly killing children.. you should be *marked* as you will so everyone knows it and they can get some revenge on his ass.. DF does that too you are marked as evil so you cant even go to a city without being kos.. just makes being evil alot harder on ya.. which is good.. Not sure how AoC will do this but if you make a game that has lvl 1-60 open pvp your going to have lvl 60s comming into a newb village hacking the lvl 1-5 ppl to little bits..
  • sugarrushsugarrush Member Posts: 6

So I've gotta ask, am I the only one here who played Ultima Online?

That game had the perfect PvP system.

Also, I was under the impression this game was going to be real time, you control the sword and such, so levels wouldn't make as big a differnce when PvPing would it?
    That was one of the things that drew me to this game in the first place, I HATE turnbased games, I loathe them.

• crazBOBycrazBOBy Member Posts: 1

very important thread bump

they should start an official vote for! ;)

there are so many opportunities to make a fair open pvp with just a chance to loot !!!

-some places of safety all over the world
    -possibility to attack only higher lvl players
    -places where u have to drop ur weapons (so u have to box each other)
    -and for sure instances for party only quest
    -etc

im watching mmos for a long time
    aoc sounds for me it will be the first one i cant resist loosing so much time
    but after this thread im in doubt

we will c

• angerrangerr Member Posts: 865

ok theres going to be several different pvp server styles. i never understood why people come to a forum and spread lies about a game that they have no clue about. im not going to quote anybody but several of you are thinking you know exactly how pvp will be in AOC, and that it is going to suck. the funny thing is the devs dont even know how the pvp is going to be, so please explain to me how you think you know how it will be??? sorry if this has been posted here before but here is the official dev statement on pvp...

"Ahhh, the deadly serious business of PvP! I have been reading the forums, and thinking. For quite some time now, actually. I have decided to take a step back on PvP, and open the design to more gamer input. I guess many of you have read the articles on RPG Vault and Gamespy and know quite a lot of our PvP Technology and choices. I will just repeat a couple of core principles:
    1. PvP is becoming one of the, maybe the most, important feature of Age of Conan. It will be brutal, dark and mature - but also a balanced and fun experience.
    2. PvP will always be a choice for you (but saying that, chosing server might also be a choice!)
    3. There will be many types of PvP in Conan (team based, brawling, massive etc), hopefully something for everyone...
    4. You shall be able to play Age of Conan totally without participating in PvP if you want.
    Now to the meat of the deal. As I said, I am taking a step back on PvP, and opening up for making many different setups - if that is what you want. Within the framework of the above mentioned principles, there are almost endless possibilities within our current technology.
    • On some servers we might have open PvP on a larger level range (right now, it is restricted within the 20 levels of the tier you belong to.)
    • On some servers the PvE Resource Building Regions (where you build your Player Village) might be open for PvP some parts of the day.
    • On some servers you can have spreading PvP everywhere (if you attack someone PvP enabled, you also become PvP enabled...)
    • On other servers the whole world, except Cities and Holy Places (where you are resurrected post death) can be PvP enabled.
    • You could theoretically get PvP on different times of day. (Night-time PvP)
    • We could open the games for PvP events. (Hour of Blood!)
    • You could have PvP for guild versus guilds or sides versus sides in many more areas. (The sides are mentioned in one of the articles.)
    • We could open for item looting, coin looting, item locking (someone else loots a couple of your items, and can use them for 1 hour for instance, before you get them back), special PvP item looting etc.
    • We could give PvE XP bonus in the areas with PvP if you want - to compansate.
    • Since we base Conan on technology and knowledge based on more than 4 years of successful PvP, we have loads of options.
    • All this will be fit into many different server setups!
    Ok, why do I mention all this? Because I want to say: except for the principles above, I am a "careful pragmatic"! I will listen to your discussions, and make many different choices of servers if that is what you want. Funcom will keep a firm control (yes a tight control) on the finished result, to make sure they are all fun and balanced, but other than that - you decide.

Also, although it would be cool to have all the options in the world, we will get LOADS of problems communicating all the different setups to new players when they chose their server. Think about it, not "PvP" or "No PvP" but, "This feature list" vs "That Feature list". Thus we shall most likely end up with 3-4 different setups with clear "descriptive" names...

Saying that, I will let my good friends and colleagues handle the setup of the information collection (voting, discussions, threads and so on...). Also, I will take as long as is needed making this decision. It is vital it is as perfect as can be!

Cheers

Gaute Godager
    Game Director Age of Conan - Hyborian Adventures"

i hope this clears things up for you people that think you know exactly how pvp will be in AOC, and stop acting like you fricking know before the people that create the damn game! imageimageimageimage

read this http://www.vanguardsoh.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1044304#post1044304 then come back and talk to me about the vanguard/soe fiasco.....

• pirrgpirrg Member Posts: 1,443

yet another one ruined by carebears.. oh well ::::05::

Originally posted by pirrg

yet another one ruined by carebears.. oh well ::::05::

LOL... read much? read that quote right above yours my friend. please stop making yourself look like a idiot.... besides how do "carebears" have anything to do with it? /sigh image

read this http://www.vanguardsoh.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1044304#post1044304 then come back and talk to me about the vanguard/soe fiasco.....

• pirrgpirrg Member Posts: 1,443

Originally posted by angerr
    yet another one ruined by carebears.. oh well

LOL... read much? read that quote right above yours my friend. please stop making yourself look like a idiot.... besides how do "carebears" have anything to do with it? /sigh image

Carebears are known to have ruined every good pvp game in existance with their childish whining. And that quote is just speculations on what "could" be implemented some day. The key word is "could" you muppet.

Originally posted by angerr

yet another one ruined by carebears.. oh well

Carebears are known to have ruined every good pvp game in existance with their childish whining. And that quote is just speculations on what "could" be implemented some day. The key word is "could" you muppet.

wow... your a brite one arnt you? ok yes in that quote they are asking for opinions and nothing is set in stone. but in your first quote "yet another one ruined by carebears.. oh well "  seems to me you have decided for them allready? seems to me you know what the rule sets will be for their servers?  and it also seems to me that you so called "hardcore" pvper's think "carebears" are the only ones "whining"...... well i see alot of whining from you as well. bottom line is AOC's pvp system has not been decided and when you make stupid ass comments like "yet another one ruined by carebears.. oh well " just makes you look like a idiot.......image

• DeadDOGDeadDOG Member Posts: 362

its going to be a choice you make.

if you pick to play on a PVP server then you have made your choice.(you have picked PVP there)

and from what i know the none PVP server still going to have PVP it will be more your team VS another Team or guild.(and only when you make that choice. kind of like SWG going overt.)

www.DigitalMindz.com

• paravionparavion Member Posts: 422
    I think PVP is the main essential component of a game that keeps the game alive.  I mean you wouldn't want to compete or fight against NPC all day would you? 
  • DeadDOGDeadDOG Member Posts: 362

Originally posted by MisfitZ

It's going to be all consensual. Either by zoning it, or agreeing to it via a dual or arena. This has already been stated in an interview, check the official forums at www.ageofconan.com for links to the interviews.

FunCom = pansies.

YES PVP IS GOING TO BE CONSENSUAL. that is what they have said.

YOU MAKE THE CHOICE IF YOU WANT TO PVP. THAT CHOICE CAN BE PICKING A PVP SERVER.

IF YOU PICK A PVP SERVER YOU HAVE MADE THAT CHOICE. THERE WILL BE A FULL BLOWN KILL THEM ALL PVP SERVER..

PLEASE READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE.

http://forums.ageofconan.com/showthread.php?p=29043#post29043

www.DigitalMindz.com