Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Now a time to play?

I tried this game back a few years ago. My attempts were in vain and I found myself not too happy with the confusing systems that surrounded me. I wanted to get into the gameplay but my friends where mainly jedi/high level so I never could really provide benefit and just wound up dying over and over agian. I am looking at the game agian and I am thinking to myself, will it be just a boring grind like eq without the cool loot and interesting encounters?

Thanks for any advice,

John

Comments

• ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297

There is SO much to do if you dont fall into the trap of grinding Jedi. I gladly welcome you to the server Naritus, where many of the poster from this website have made toons. You can contact me there as Novarider or Delos.

SWG is only a grind if YOU make it a grind. There is so much you can do at your own pace at your own level ... not only killing umpteen thousands of bols and pickets and running back and force to the force sensitive village.

If you find something confusing, just ask the people in game (you could temporarily join my guild for the starting weeks so you should have helpful people answer your questions or help you with your first steps). You will find people from several other servers here that will offer the same (e.g. Lowca server). Or you ask us here or my guilders here http://www.impslave.com/forum2/

Have fun

Erillion

• WWITWWIT Member Posts: 63

I just got back into SWG a few weeks ago and am enjoying it.

It was amazing how fast the level up is now. With a brand new from scratch char, in my first week back I made it to CL80, mastered 2 starter and 2 Elite profesions and got "glowy". I also got into a great guild, got a house and its full of cool loot drops. Ive already unlocked some of the Jedi Initiate FS boxes.

So yes! Now is a great time to get in game.

• kaibigan34kaibigan34 Member Posts: 1,508

If they made it that easy to level, sounds like they want you burning through the low end content quick so you will have no choice but go jedi and give them that guarunteed 6 - 12 month paid account while you grind it out.

Yah that sounds like real fun.....NOT!!!!

Kai

• grapevinegrapevine Member UncommonPosts: 1,927

Leveling can be extremely quick, these days.  In fact to the point of being silly.

SoE did do something about it, the group XP nerf.  Just there was to much fuss made of it its was removed.  So you can't accuse SoE of not recognising it, the players simply won't let them address it.

Originally posted by grapevine

Leveling can be extremely quick, these days.  In fact to the point of being silly.
    SoE did do something about it, the group XP nerf.  Just there was to much fuss made of it its was removed.  So you can't accuse SoE of not recognising it.

The group xp nerf was the wrong way to do it. You dont single out one section of play and nerf it in hopes of slowing everything down. That is where they screwed it up. A game that was once almost pure solo play went solo AND group then a few months later they make it worse to group..... Sounds pretty bad to me.

If they wanted to slow down everyone they should have decreased the payout for xp or increase the xp costs to gain a box. Figure out where people are going too fast and start raising the bar. Tweak it until it right and you got a nice FAIR system that doesnt single out one style or type of play. But that would mean they would have to actually expend brain power and *cough* work.

So as always SOE is consistent and decided to take the quick fix. Take the easy way out. And it bit them in the rump. Which usually happens. I wish they would learn the quick fix is usually not the way to go. The only time the easy way ever worked in SWG, that I have seen, was the CU. All other times they take the quick way out it always turned out bad. Main release, XP Nerf, Crafting Nerf, and more.

Kai

No, the XP nerf was divide the XP by the number of people in the group then add a group bonus.  Its exactly how other mmorpgs do it.  Its logical and it did work, soloing was not quicker than grouping.  People just looked at the raw single kill figure and compained because they were no longer getting full XP when grouped.  Full XP when grouped is a idiotic idea, but that's what the playerbase made a fuss over to get reinstated.

What SoE did wrong was not communicate and push it live when it was surposed to have further testing.  However, the biggest mistake they made was not including it as part of the CU.  They overlooked what would become an issue and are now in a no win situation.

Originally posted by grapevine

No, the XP nerf was divide the XP by the number of people in the group then add a group bonus.  Its exactly how other mmorpgs do it.  Its logical and it did work, soloing was not quicker than grouping.  People just looked at the raw single kill figure and compained because they were no longer getting full XP when grouped.  Full XP when grouped is a idiotic idea.
    What SoE did wrong was not communicate and push it live when it was surposed to have further testing.

Doesnt matter if soloing is still slower. It would kill grouping. And that is where they screwed up. And sorry but I have to disagree once again. It is not logical. It targets one specific type of play, grouping. If you want to slow to down group xp you have to slow down solo xp. Or did you enjoy the game being solocentric before? Remember before the CU even when grouping got a bonus to xp while soloing didnt? It was faster to level grouped. Players didnt group as much or they sologrouped.

You want to slow down people leveling you do it by lowering xp pay outs or raising xp costs. That is the fair and logical way to do it. That way everybody and every playstyle gets hit. But when has SOE ever been fair?

If a rancor kill nets you 3k xp you lower it to 1k. If healing player gets you 180xp you lower it to 60. If a player makes an item worth 150xp you lower it to 50. And you just slowed everyone's leveling down to 1/3rd. It now takes 3 times as long. And you tweak it from there.

Kai

Seriously Kai, you do realise that next to noone solos for XP these days?  If you could see how quick people can level now you would see the XP "nerf" wasn't a bad thing (for the game).  I actually bought another account not so long ago, it took me 3 days to hit level 80, which was a three master template (master fencer/swordman/TK).  What the group XP nerf tried to do was balance solo and group play.  It hit the problem straight on.

To clarify, the group XP nerf was the pre-CU experience system.  The only difference was instead of it being based on the amount of damage you did the XP was shared equally.  You only got a bonus if grouped, as before.  People simply liked the fast leveling, that was post CU.

SoE can't do anything with the XP system, even if they did as you suggest it would be pulled within days as all the "I quit" posts would appear.   The only time they could have got away with anything was in the CU, now its to late without causing upset.  After saying all that, I'm not saying you are right or wrong in your opinion, but I do object to your statement about SoE wanting leveing to be quick to lead people into Jedi when the very conversation we are now having contradicts that.  Why do you always feel you need to twist the truth by missing out facts, when people are asking about the state of the game (one you don't even play anymore)?

Anyway, on topic as to not put the OP off.  SWG still has its problems, as you can see.  However there is a lot to do (a lot has been added), but its really split into two areas.  Leveling and playing (e.g. quest, instances, dungeaons, crafting), they don't really interact.  To level you grind, all be it short (unless going Jedi).  Overall SWG is vastly different from what it was not that long ago and each month its improving.  I personally would recommend it.

I understand where you are coming from Grape. Oh and Kai not Kia. Kia is a car manufacurer. Kai is short for Kaibigan. A pinoy word.

The problem is soloing will always be more preferable to grouping straight out of the gate. Remember now this is a pro soloer talking here. You can make a game where both soloing and grouping are completely equal. And people will be more prone to solo. Alot more. You make it slightly more beneficial to group and still people will solo more. You actually have to find the mean middle to get people to group as much. Which usually means piling on tons of bonuses and such to get them to even consider grouping. But it is a fine line. Most players, even the ones that strongly support grouping, are soloers at heart and will solo over grouping. They just wont ever admit to that.

So when you do finally get people grouping the worst thing you can do is nerf it this close to initial release of it. That is like slapping all the groupies and telling them "Bad Dog! Quit the game! NOW!". And that is why it wasnt logical to do that. Lower all the xp payouts. Raise the req xp needed. Heck even do a token solo nerf at the sametime. Something, anything. But dont single out one style and smack em.

But SOE is real good about giving entire sections of the community a boot in the face.

Kai

Sorry, was a typo.  I know how annoying that can be and have edited the post so you don't start getting orders. ;)

Sadly though, with the exiting XP system there is no soloing to speak.  People hit hunting hotspots in groups then either continue doing so for months on end to become a full template Jedi or actually start playing the game.   Any soling in the game is about quests, loot drops, resources, etc, with XP being irrelevant.

One of the biggest complaints SWG has against it is "there is nothing to do", which is completely inaccurate.  Its one of the most rich mmorpgs available, but because the leveling is separate people are blinkered from the content.  That's why we are seeing the introduction of quests with each expantion, but unless the XP system is changed both areas will remain separate.  I just seriously think the (general) players won't let them do anything to address that.  As they are thinking short term and missing what the game could be like if you actually saw the content during leveling instead of it being an afterthought.

I was actually disappointed when they group XP changes were removed.

No worries about the name. Just thought it was funny you have done it several times. But I make that mistake too. Missed the 'e' in your name twice. heh

Anyway back on topic. Leveled content would be good. Take away players training each other then give quests to gain some boxes. Make it random so you dont know when it will happen. Just walk up to a trainer and ask to be trained but he tells you that you need to help with something first and boom you got some content.

Also I think the whole leveling thing should be lowered heavily. Instead of days it should take months. i remember when BH took some literally months. But that was due to bugs.

Kai

• maxdomaxdo Member Posts: 284

i use to think this game was great (and i am not flaming ) but yes i would think its a time to get back in but i wont go back in cause case of

jedi/bh

new x-pack only dd what if you pay buy time card and dont have a creadit card

bugs

no new space zone with new x-pack

l8r all (puts on flame suit)

That was actually a question I had as well about this DD Expansion. How is a person who plays on game cards supposed to get it if they dont use credit cards? I remember the players in EQ2 who wanted Splitpaw were just SOL unless they found a place that sold prepaids.

Kai