Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Are you thinking about giving it another try?

JimmyYOJimmyYO Member UncommonPosts: 519

So was I, so i did. I went on ebay and got a wrapped Vanguard box for 2 dollars. What a steal right? Wrong! I lasted a good 7 days before I deleted the game again. Here's why.

It was recently announced that Brad McQuaid returned and I had high hopes for this game getting fixed. The first patch with his return involved no bug fixes of any kind, no end game content, no inconsistencies or errors addressed. It did however involve moving around the level ranges of certain popular newbie areas and screwing up many well established areas for no reason whatsoever.

This has got to be the most mismanaged disappointment of all time, from beginning to it's near end. It wasn't just Brad but everyone that touches this game seems to lose all common sense for why this is a crapshoot. When you make a new character and run into a dozen bugs before level 10 after half a decade on the market something is very wrong. Free isn't always free and it will show with this game.

Feel free to add your horror stories, anyone involved with this MMO should never receive a single dollar from gamers.

Comments

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081

Love Vanguard, hate everything about SOE.........They were never in touch with the players and what they would like !

• AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085

I dont make much sense out of this thread, to be honest.

Also, newbie areas ... I would have to delete characters to revisit them ... nah.

• fuzzylogic11fuzzylogic11 Member UncommonPosts: 56

I just started playing over the weekend and I'm really enjoying my time here. I played for a few hours and I didn't hit max level, that’s a change. Oh yeah and I actually died in the noobie area and not because I was messing around. It was actually hard in spots. What an awesome idea, have a game that challenges its players. You should really give this a try, you might like it.
  • ZorgoZorgo Member UncommonPosts: 2,254
    Originally posted by JimmyYO

So was I, so i did. I went on ebay and got a wrapped Vanguard box for 2 dollars. What a steal right? Wrong! I lasted a good 7 days before I deleted the game again. Here's why.

It was recently announced that Brad McQuaid returned and I had high hopes for this game getting fixed.

The first patch with his return involved no bug fixes of any kind

But what about all the bug fixes that happened before you rejoined? Those must count for something.

, no end game content,

I bet your bottom dollar you haven't finished APW or POTA, those take months.

no inconsistencies or errors addressed.

How's that different than bugs?

It did however involve moving around the level ranges of certain popular newbie areas

This was to fill in quest difficiencies in the progression line. Some lvl ranges were oversaturated with questlines, some were almost devoid. Other than logging into a lvl 27 area by surprise as a lvl 12 rogue, and doing a cr all evening, I have to admit, it did stick in my craw.

and screwing up many well established areas for no reason whatsoever.

The reasons are listed above.

This has got to be the most mismanaged disappointment of all time,

I'm not sure if it is mismanagement or understaffed. Even with what they added to the team, I doubt it is enough resources for the mess this game had been.

from beginning to it's near end. It wasn't just Brad but everyone that touches this game seems to lose all common sense for why this is a crapshoot.

When you make a new character and run into a dozen bugs before level 10 after half a decade on the market something is very wrong.

I agree. Things like waypoint bugs and inconsistancies in quests whether they give you an accurate waypoint, or a waypoint at all; these are simple and can be overcome, but for the new player or the one disgusted by bugs, this will be a game breaker. They need to get some of these systemic failures out before f2p. But I am still clinging to the hope that a new influx of players will come with f2p, making it financially appealling to beef up the games development and support. I could be wrong - every step taken to this point seems to have been the opposite of what I thought would happen.

Free isn't always free and it will show with this game.

Feel free to add your horror stories, anyone involved with this MMO should never receive a single dollar from gamers.

With all the flaws and weirdness of this game; I still think it has the best classes, best dungeons and most immersive world on the market today. Loving VG is a sacrifice - you have to love it with big ugly scars, hairy moles and crooked teeth - but what a hellcat in the bedroom.

• JimmyYOJimmyYO Member UncommonPosts: 519

So even a VG fan can't help but agree with pretty much everything I said. That should be enough of a red flag for anyone browsing this forum thinking about subbing. Do not play this game, it is done for life. Hope that EQNext isn't a flop but don't hold your breath.

• Ribas363Ribas363 Member Posts: 33

After wasting time playing WoW,  WAR, SWTOR and to a lesser degree AOC and LOTRO I returned once again to VG.  

Launch was rough, no doubt.

The comment about lack of endgame content is laughable.  APW and POTA coupled with the endgame raid mobs make the content more than enough for quite a span of time if you have not been involved in any of them.  As awful as raiding is/was in WoW for me, I enjoy it quite a bit in VG.  The complexity of the encounters seem to be higher and more technical.  Granted, I quit raiding in WoW after tempest keep.

The amout of content in the game dwarfs any other MMO i have played.

I enjoy the lack of hand-holding in the game.  It makes you actually do things like read dialogue and pay attention to detail.  If you do not, the result is often times complaints about "bugs" and "wrong waypoints".  I can think of a few times this happened to me, and once a guildee pointed out what I had missed in the dailogue (such as a certain time of day, or looking a certain direction, /say'ing something in chat) I would laugh and realize I had been the one to make the mistake.    

Granted, VG has bugs just like any other MMO (every game does....) but the only complaint I have really is the lag.  On the test server, the lag has been drastically reduced and fps has been reported to be more than double what I get currently on Telon.

If you are a player who enjoys being shown exactly what to do, and rushing to endgame as fast as possible, then this game probably is not for you.  VG, in my opinion is more for the players that enjoy immersion, exploration and detail versus power/speed leveling.  Some of the recent chages to the areas does effect the immersion and exploration but it will help new players in regards to grouping and in a game with a world as massive as VG, that is probably going to do more good than bad.

Just the opinion of one old SWG fan.  

• DeadlyneDeadlyne Member UncommonPosts: 232
    Originally posted by Ribas363

After wasting time playing WoW,  WAR, SWTOR and to a lesser degree AOC and LOTRO I returned once again to VG.  

Launch was rough, no doubt.

The comment about lack of endgame content is laughable.  APW and POTA coupled with the endgame raid mobs make the content more than enough for quite a span of time if you have not been involved in any of them.  As awful as raiding is/was in WoW for me, I enjoy it quite a bit in VG.  The complexity of the encounters seem to be higher and more technical.  Granted, I quit raiding in WoW after tempest keep.

The amout of content in the game dwarfs any other MMO i have played.

I enjoy the lack of hand-holding in the game.  It makes you actually do things like read dialogue and pay attention to detail.  If you do not, the result is often times complaints about "bugs" and "wrong waypoints".  I can think of a few times this happened to me, and once a guildee pointed out what I had missed in the dailogue (such as a certain time of day, or looking a certain direction, /say'ing something in chat) I would laugh and realize I had been the one to make the mistake.    

Granted, VG has bugs just like any other MMO (every game does....) but the only complaint I have really is the lag.  On the test server, the lag has been drastically reduced and fps has been reported to be more than double what I get currently on Telon.

If you are a player who enjoys being shown exactly what to do, and rushing to endgame as fast as possible, then this game probably is not for you.  VG, in my opinion is more for the players that enjoy immersion, exploration and detail versus power/speed leveling.  Some of the recent chages to the areas does effect the immersion and exploration but it will help new players in regards to grouping and in a game with a world as massive as VG, that is probably going to do more good than bad.

Just the opinion of one old SWG fan.  

That sounds like a very reasonable, non-biased opinion.

Just to question the philosophy. Army of Socrates.

• PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784

"I can think of a few times this happened to me, and once a guildee pointed out what I had missed in the dailogue (such as a certain time of day, or looking a certain direction, /say'ing something in chat) I would laugh and realize I had been the one to make the mistake.   "

Is the info you missed in the quest log? What I mean is, are the details you discribed availlable by re-reading the quest in your quest log, or is it only availble when talking to the Quest giver NPC?

• EverketEverket Member UncommonPosts: 244

You may not care for the changes, but there are definitely reasons behind them. And you may not agree, but don't be an ass and write like that. 

I'm not sure what I think myself, I have to check it out ingame first. But it sounds reasonable on paper.

• Ribas363Ribas363 Member Posts: 33
    Originally posted by Psychow

"I can think of a few times this happened to me, and once a guildee pointed out what I had missed in the dailogue (such as a certain time of day, or looking a certain direction, /say'ing something in chat) I would laugh and realize I had been the one to make the mistake.   "

Is the info you missed in the quest log? What I mean is, are the details you discribed availlable by re-reading the quest in your quest log, or is it only availble when talking to the Quest giver NPC?

Nope it was in the dialogue, not the quest journal.  Reinforcing, a bit harshly, that you actually have to pay attention and read dailogue, not just spam click until the waypoint pops up.  That  "lack of hand holding" factor which is nice to see.  It also forces folks to inquire within the community how to complete quests.

• Garvon3Garvon3 Member CommonPosts: 2,898

It was recently announced that Brad McQuaid returned and I had high hopes for this game getting fixed. The first patch with his return involved no bug fixes of any kind, no end game content, no inconsistencies or errors addressed. It did however involve moving around the level ranges of certain popular newbie areas and screwing up many well established areas for no reason whatsoever.

Er, he's been back since Feb, and there's been about 6 bug fixing patches since then...

and yes I will take the game back up when it goes FTP.

• ZorgoZorgo Member UncommonPosts: 2,254
    Originally posted by Ribas363
    Originally posted by Psychow

Nope it was in the dialogue, not the quest journal.  Reinforcing, a bit harshly, that you actually have to pay attention and read dailogue, not just spam click until the waypoint pops up.  That  "lack of hand holding" factor which is nice to see.  It also forces folks to inquire within the community how to complete quests.

This is absolutely true. I have yet to find a quest that was 'undoable'. There are clues in the text, there are clues in the journal entry, but make no mistake that there are definately bugs associated with waypoints.

Sometimes they register in the wrong place.

Sometimes the journal will actually title a section 'locations' and there is nothing underneath it to click. It was just never put in or finished.

Sometimes no matter how many times you click that waypoint, it doesn't come up.

Sometimes it takes you to the wrong place.

All of these are fairly minor once you get used to it. I don't have any problem finishing quests, or finding locations any more because I know the work arounds. I know to read the text. I know to ask or look it up if I still have problems.

My fear is that for the new blood coming in it will be a gamebreaker though. People conditioned to polished map/waypoint systems, people not used to interacting with the npc and people not even thinking, 'hey, maybe I should ask in guild or general chat' - these people I fear will log in disgust, uninstall and proceed to the forums to re-affirm how bad this game is.

I remember on release there were big performance issues with 'hitching' at the chunk lines. You'd just come to a dead stop for a few seconds, even today there is a little hiccup - people quit over this. I couldn't believe it. I thought it was amazing that people would rather look at a loading screen and wait 5x longer to load rather than suffer a 'hitch' while zoning. But they left - in droves, some over that issue alone. I hate to think what a buggy waypoint would do to those people.

I think if they want to put their best foot forward, they should concentrate on these types of fixes, if they want the f2p to work.

Let me reiterate: I think this is the best game in the business. I think it has major polish problems which many won't be able to see passed. I think this is too bad, because people will quit the best game on the market because of what I consider to be some minor polish problems. I also fear they don't have a large enough staff to effectively deal with the clean up. Its like sending in 3 guys to clean up a whole state after a nuclear bomb goes off -

But it isn't f2p yet - lots of patching still to do. I have high hopes.

• Nikoz78Nikoz78 Member UncommonPosts: 910

So even a VG fan can't help but agree with pretty much everything I said. That should be enough of a red flag for anyone browsing this forum thinking about subbing. Do not play this game, it is done for life. Hope that EQNext isn't a flop but don't hold your breath.

I just resubbed after reading this. Vanguard, like Star Wars Galaxies was and still is, is just a hot mess. How can I resist?

I miss the good ol' days when nerds were actually intelligent.

• EverketEverket Member UncommonPosts: 244
    A few quest really made me scratch my head. But I finally figured it out, and to me it felt like really old style mmorpg. I had to kill one kind of mobs first, to get my quest mobs to spawn. It took a while, and it was somewhat tedious, but the fact that different mobs can spawn, and even bosses after wiping a group several times is pretty damn cool.
  • AthisioAthisio Member Posts: 72
    I might still not sure. The art style is just tough for me to get past. VG and EQ2 have that very..... shiny weird look to everything. Best way i can describe it.