Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Should I rob a bank?

SojenSojen Member Posts: 76

As title says, should I rob a bank(RL) to get money to play EVE?

Heres the situation for me:

I'm 19, in college intensive course. Just last week, I started trying the 14 day free trial. And now I love the game, makes me want to play more. But I'm afraid, I can't get into the game fully unless I go for months, 14 days won't be enough to enjoy it....

Problem comes here, I'm a college student, tight on budget, since I'm in intensive course, there really isn't much time for part time job for extra cash.

Now on a serious note, should I:

A) Rob a bank.

B) Starve myself through college to save enough for the monthly fee

C) Wait until I finish college then get a job, then start playing EVE, which would be 2 years from now......

D) Forget EVE was ever made, turn a blind eye on it, and don't ever mention it again, so it will not trigger horrifying craves for the game.

Note* I'm living in Malaysia, so if the monthly fee is about USD 14, I would have to pay about RM35-RM45.
A normal budget(cheap) lunch(+drinks) is about RM5. So you can estimate the living cost around here.

Comments

• tachgbtachgb Member UncommonPosts: 791

Forget about eve, walk away now. It will consume your life.

In all seriousness, if you're on that much of a budget, makes no sense paying for something you can't actually afford at this stage in your life. But a gamer does what a gamer does best, they play games.

• tunairaioltunairaiol Member Posts: 7

If you dont have enough time to work and pay the fee, How do you expect to have time to play the game? If your planning on ruining your life because of this idiocy, just don't kill yourself and start blaming the others...

edit: And I can see (by your xfire profile) that a person that spens 279 hours (11 days) playing guild wars, and says that don't have time to work, can't really be taken seriously...pfft...

• DhaemanDhaeman Member Posts: 531

I really have no idea how much you would make in Malaysia with a job but in the USA if you were to work 3 hours a month at minimum wage then you would have enough to pay for Eve. Of course no one would hire you only to work 3 hours a month but the point is - it's not that hard to pay for an MMORPG.

• ElnatorElnator Member Posts: 6,077

Originally posted by Sojen
    As title says, should I rob a bank(RL) to get money to play EVE?
    Note* I'm living in Malaysia, so if the monthly fee is about USD 14, I would have to pay about RM35-RM45.
    A normal budget(cheap) lunch(+drinks) is about RM5. So you can estimate the living cost around here.

Sucks to be you but, unfortunately your countrys labor laws suck and you will have these kinds of decisions to make about just about anything in the world.

Currently Playing: Dungeons and Dragons Online.
    Sig image Pending
    Still in: A couple Betas

• pirrgpirrg Member Posts: 1,443

Originally posted by tunairaiol
    If you dont have enough time to work and pay the fee, How do you expect to have time to play the game? If your planning on ruining your life because of this idiocy, just don't kill yourself and start blaming the others...edit: And I can see (by your xfire profile) that a person that spens 279 hours (11 days) playing guild wars, and says that don't have time to work, can't really be taken seriously...pfft...

Those 279 hours dont really say much about his gaming habits. If he played 1 hour a day for a year or so, would that interfere with his life? I highly doubt it.

• MuthseraMuthsera Member Posts: 12

I whould say starve for a few days.. Whats a few days to or from?
    Drink lots of water.. beside.. you'll look all slim and stuff... :D
    It sertanly not an option to not play eve...I can tell you that much.. ;)

Pirrg, knowing how much time Guild Wars has been released, you can guess that it wasnt nothing close to 1 hour a day to mach 279 hours of gameplay... The game has been around like what, 2 months now? Maybe even less...

• SojenSojen Member Posts: 76

Don't worry tunairaiol, I'm not stupid enough to ruin my life over games. And by the way, I'm an introvert, so no worries about me blaming my faults on games.

Guildwars was released in early May just so you know, it's about 4 months now. I played since release, but only for about 3 months. I played nightly 2 hours, and of course weekends way more than that. So the 280 is just about right.

I ain't a lazy person or any sort, my first 2 years of college was pretty relaxed, so I had time to part-time and earned some cash, and sort of wasted RM200.00 on Guildwars... And now my final 2 years are much more busier, so it's less time, and hardly enough time for part times, like the above poster said, it's not easy just to get a job that pays for me to work a couple hours or days just to get enough to pay to play.

Anyway, I was just seeking some outside opinions, though I already made up my mind. Thank you all for your opinions. I'm planning to finish my education first, then come and join EVE in late 2007. ::::20:: Hope to see some of you there, if you guys are still around. Relax all, I got my priorities straight, you won't read in the papers where a college student robs bank to play EVE ::::40::

• scaramooshscaramoosh Member Posts: 3,424

I ruined my life over a mmorpg :(

Then SOE ruined it and i was free :D

---------------------------------------------
    Don't click here...no2

• RabbidFerretRabbidFerret Member Posts: 92

Should you rob a bank to play eve????!!

LOLOLOL.......Yes....i would.

• FarulosonothFarulosonoth Member UncommonPosts: 107

Originally posted by scaramoosh

I ruined my life over a mmorpg :(
    Then SOE ruined it and i was free :D

I had the same thing happen to me,  Kindred spirit.   Just watch out for Vanguard

Sojen, I sincerely wish you best luck, and I think it's a safe choice you did. I'm not in college anymore, and I work to sustain my self and help my family. Some time ago I had some choices, and those included fun or commitment, and sadly fun was my priority. I screwed everything... and I'm not simply talking about playing a mmorpg, I'm talking about serious decisions. I think that, back there, if I had decided to walk the longer and harder way, today I could have time to enjoy these games, and spent time with my beloved, and everyday I realize that the choices I receive become narrower and narrower. So the earlier you make a decision, the fastest you can step foward.

Why do I say that? Everyday I have to see people that sits in their computer all day, doing nothing much than mmorpging (if that can be used as a verb) with no objective at all. I do know that working for survival, and survival for working is not much of a life, still that simple commitment has an intense outcome, that is freedom. Now, when I have a few spare time, and I choose to play a game, I do it with satisfaction. I know that my time is short, and that tomorrow I will be up early, and that probably this game will be shelved for another week before I can play it again. But I know that this effort I do has an outcome in my family face, in those that depend on me, and nothing is better than receive their smile as gratitude. So when I sit in this chair, and I log in any game, every second of that game I enjoy, and I can do it with pride, knowing that I deserve that brief moment.

So complete your studies, make your money, be free to make your decisions, and then, sit your *** in that comp knowing that every second you play EVE, you're playing with your soul and heart.

PS: sorry for the bad english.

• SojenSojen Member Posts: 76

Thanks tunairaiol, I will keep your advice into mind. ::::28::

• MorphuessMorphuess Member Posts: 15

An alternate solution is to make a new character, and somehow earn a lot of money with that character, and then buy a better, older character.  There is a large market for characters in EVE that are paid by with currency in EVE.  Of course selling anything in EVE for real cash violates the EULA aggreement you signed when you subscribed to EVE.

Of course, the older (and more powerful) characters can start to cost ridiculus amounts of money, but take a look, for the price of a battleship, you can buy a 3 or 4 month old character.

Take a look: http://myeve.eve-online.com/ingameboard.asp?a=channel&channelID=109595