Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

looking for an honest fun timesink that will last a long time

dinalthdinalth Member Posts: 5

I am currently looking for a game (again) that will be fun, take time, has a good community for grouping and guilds, and somewhat open. I dont care about being max level, or max geared, or pvp, or any of that nonsense that is all games are about now.

A list of games i enjoyed and why.

Everquest 1 always top of my list because of game time friends in game and sheer amount of play i had in this game 

Star Wars Galaxies The sheer openness of this game was amazing and respec to do whatever you wanted was awesome with great friends that i would log on just to help and hang out with

Vangaurd The classes in this game were amazing in beta and early launch havent touched it since due to lack of people to run with (guild quit)

Anarchy Online great fun for a long time then game just kind of stopped being enjoyable

Everquest 2 great game in beginning then came the whining about not taking this upgrade making you useless due to personal choice

Star Wars The Old Republic really enjoyed the story but after that didnt have much point in playing other than to get the best gear.

World of Warcraft had great time up to third expansion then gae just ruined itself for me.

these are the major games for me to list. have tried countless mmos and currently all seem to be about the best gear highest level best at pvp and extreme lack of socializing for game play. I highly enjoy good graphics, and great story. Any suggestion would be appreciated i dont care if its pay or free either.

Comments

• Odinthedark1Odinthedark1 Member Posts: 330

Thats how all mmo's are, gear always matters unless your name is GW2... if you just want socialization there are plenty of F2P games that focus on things like marriage or partnership as well as guilds, tho i know its not much help i only recall vague images of when i was drifting from game to game and cant name them.

• zastrophzastroph Member Posts: 242

Have you looked at Aion?

• Crazy_StickCrazy_Stick Member Posts: 1,059
    Originally posted by dinalth

... I dont care about being max level, or max geared, or pvp, or any of that nonsense that is all games are about now...

...I have tried countless mmos and currently all seem to be about the best gear highest level best at pvp and extreme lack of socializing for game play. I highly enjoy good graphics, and great story. Any suggestion would be appreciated i dont care if its pay or free either...

The above is true of most every MMORPG right now. Based on what you wrote, I do not think you will find a good MMORPG. I would recommend a couple of single player games to you. First is Alan Wake which has an outstanding story and good graphics. Then there is The Darkness 2 but it's a shorter game you're encouraged to play through more than once. Happy gaming to you.

• Odinthedark1Odinthedark1 Member Posts: 330

Yea i would also recommend Aion i just started myself and within the first 4 hours of playing got myself into a guild with some cool people.

• dinalthdinalth Member Posts: 5

Thanks for the replies so quickly. i played Aion back in beta and first launch for a while but will deffinitley give it another try game seems to have changed quite a bit and a lot seems to have been added content wise. Will deffinitley look at the offline games but am still kind of consumed playing skyrim through again for my offline gaming.

• russ1struss1st Member Posts: 47

Try Star Trek Online. It not so much gear dependant and has good community And if you pay then you won't have 10m cash restrictions.

As for Aion - it's definitely a gear game with quite a poor community (What else one could expect from game driven by PvP-farming of low level characters? )

Edit: spelling.

• Preacher26Preacher26 Member UncommonPosts: 381

Find a solid MC Server. I prefer the smaller communites whos servers are more or less off the radar. Not an mmo but they have 3-400 people servers. I honestly prefer 25-50 for this game.

Any game can be a time sink the trick is finding one you enjoy. As it stands theres not much on the market that offer much depth.

Ide recommend TSW but like SWTOR after the main storyline you will either grind gear/AP/SP or quit.

How about EVE? Theres a timesink and a half for you.

• UNH0LYEV1LUNH0LYEV1L Member UncommonPosts: 571

Aion - Massive Gear grind - PvP based game, Terrible back stabbing community though.

Cabal - Massive Level & Gear Grinds (Grindiest Game I have ever played)

Lineage 2 - Massive Level Grind

Ragnarok Online - Massive Gear and Level Grind (Rebirth System for Gaining more power at the cost of leveling up to cap twice.)

EVE - Sandbox, Real time skill grind (impossible to train all given skills atm so many to train).  Money time sink etc. Not really a grindy game it just takes a long time to do anything so you end up playing  for 5 years + if u get serious about it.

Maplestory - 2D, Huge Level grind

• all_sparksall_sparks Member Posts: 5

I think if you enjoyed EQ1 and 2 and early WoW, you would like Rift. It's free to play up until level 20, so you should check it out.

• CastillleCastillle Member UncommonPosts: 2,679
    Mabinogi or Uncharted Waters Online gets my vote.

''/\/\'' Posted using Iphone bunni
    ( o.o)
    (")(")
    **This bunny was cloned from bunnies belonging to Gobla and is part of the Quizzical Fanclub and the The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club**